Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Technically, everything is influenced by quantum effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Buy a current AMD Ryzen

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Disband Realtek and return the value to the shareholders, IMO.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

protip: don't use amd graphics cards

Wrong protip, the 5700 and 5700 XT are pretty excellent value.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The Nvidia Control Panel is pretty garbage (very slow and looks like it's from Windows 95), but how often do you need that - once to set up Gsync for me, and that's it.

i guess that depends on your use of the term value. if you want mid range performance for slightly less than the cost of an equivalent nvidia card, at the expense of power and thermals, with terrible drivers, then yes, it's an excellent value

Except the 5700 and 5700 XT use less power than equivalent Nvidia cards and are significantly better value. And the drivers are fine.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 15, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

yeah, the 5700 is the one card that seems to actually be a better value, so long as you don't mind it being hotter than cards made 3+ years ago. since you basically can't use the rtx features on the 2060/2070 it's laregly irrelevant that it doesn't have anything comparable.

5700 XT is a better buy than the 2060 Super as well, I'd say - almost 2070 S territory in performance at a cheaper price. Cooling is a non-issue, just get a Gigabyte or one of the better Powercolor cards. Don't buy the ones with terrible coolers.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

p. good for workstation and high-end desktop

not so good for mobile

The upcoming Ryzen 4000 seems to be pretty good for mobile, and even the current generation is a solid choice.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
A 1080 is quite a bit slower than a 5700 XT in most situations. The 5700 and 5700 XT are pretty good buys.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
No one VRs, though.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's like wearing huge heavy ski goggles you get really sweaty under while playing a simplistic game on a screen behind an insect screen. It's basically a novelty good for about 15 minutes of play, and selling the hardware after that.

It will make you appreciate how good games on a monitor are, free of gimmicks that add nothing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think there are any video games i like that don't involve spreadsheets

i don't expect to see vr versions of them any time soon

Unironically the same.

echinopsis posted:

i have this irrational fear we will have generations who finish work at 5 on friday, jack into their VR at 7pm and stay that way until 10:30 sunday night

That's never going to happen, VR simply isn't appealing enough of a product. People that are all about spending every waking hour on social media aren't going to be enticed by playing simple games in an isolating environment.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think that weirdly enough vr for movies (which may look a bit different than a usual movie) is the bit that makes by far the most sense. and not so much for glitzy effects, rather experiences akin to sitting on a footstool right on the stage of a play, freely looking around at things happening around you.

at least i find that kind of deep immersion far more compelling an idea than making gaming more cumbersome to induce some nausea.

Except people want to surf the net while watching a movie. Who gives their full attention to the latest Hollywood dross. There's a reason cinema attendance has been falling for a long time now.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how do thread schedulers compare/contrast between linux/macos/windows? i mean i'm sure winders is a tire fire as usual

In all likelihood, Windows has the best one. Microsoft often is the first to implement advanced technology. And macs os probably is the tire fire, as with everything else.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i bet i wore socks/sandals at least once with the bright orange windbreaker-material pants i bought at old navy circa 2001

It's pretty comfortable. Personally, I don't let internet memes dictated what I wear.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

an elon musk fan claims to be a free thinker who doesn't follow trends, quelle surprise

Elon Musk is a moron, and hyperloop is the project of his I detest the most. I just think goons are dead wrong about Tesla.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The pins are either on the chip (AMD) or on the socket (Intel), doesn't really make a difference.

Shaggar is uninformed, what else is new.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

well the intel version is pretty much impossible to bend by accident and the amd ones are pretty hard to keep from bending, so yeah that's a pretty big difference.

If "bending pins" is a real risk to you, you shouldn't be building computers. wtf are you doing. Really sounds like you're an idiot that knows nothing talking nonsense on a forum.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Progressive JPEG posted:

one difference is that it's less expensive if the broken pin is on the motherboard rather than the cpu itself

Except it's very hard to "break" pins. What the gently caress are you doing, are you using a hammer to seat your CPU?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, shaggar is a moron. If you agree with an opinion shaggar has, you might be a moron as well. Shaggar has no practical experience with anything he is critical of.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You just place your CPU on the socket and pull down the lever, same as with Intel CPUs. I really don't get where in this process you would ever be able to bend or break pins.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You used to be able to chop carrots with Delta fans.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

whoa, ICQ is still alive? I'm gonna see if I can get in

e: it just makes you sign up for a new account, BS

The just launched ICQ New, it's alive and kicking!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

So if you use anything more than a 2nd 8GB stick, it goes into single channel mode. gently caress.

Does it? Usually, this type of configuration means 16 GB can be used as in dual channel mode and anything above that is single channel only

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

10% is still a significant impact if you consider overhead.

Just realized I read your post wrong.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's YOSPOS, it's all garbage. Just write whatever you wanted to write.

Most threads are simply people recounting uninteresting anecdotes from their lives, or weird apple fanboyism.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

we can't all make the insightful contributions to discourse you do, lambert

And it shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy