Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The Fixed Term Parliaments Act states that "Where a demise occurs seven days or fewer prior to dissolution or once Parliament has been dissolved, the election will be delayed by 14 days (or to the next working day thereafter if the 14th day is not a working day)"

cribbed from reddit.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So far I have found this:

From House of Commons Information Office, 2010: https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-information-office/m07.pdf

p4

I will edit this if I find out more.

Boxing Day isn't excluded, which is interesting because at least in Scotland it's one of the six fixed public holidays for local authority staff. One might say it was doubly interesting, because double is what they'd have to pay us to count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

So would polling day be Christmas Eve or the 27th? Neither are public holidays.

God only knows. I'm expecting at least half the people in my office to stop work on the 20th and not come back until the 6th - you only need six days of leave to cover the whole period and we've been allowed to carry over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it would be 31st Dec or 2nd Jan to account for the Bank Hols?

2nd January is a bank holiday in Scotland, which leads to much fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

wocobob posted:

Is it basically impossible at this point for Lab to take a couple points directly off the Tories?

If "by this point" you mean "since 1920", yes. The Tory voting base is rock solid; they either vote Tory or they don't vote at all. Labour tend to win elections when the Tories do something that makes their base say "I can't vote for these people, but I'm not voting Labour".

The reason the Tories have gone full fash is because for some time now they have been doing many things that would in a sane world make their base not vote for them - for example, killing one in 400 of the British population through grotesque and deliberate mismanagement. They have maintained power and support purely by turning "I can't vote for these people but I'm not voting Labour" into "I wouldn't vote for these people, but Labour must be stopped", along with some naked appeals to racism in the form of Brexit. This has led to the Orwellian situation where the current Labour leader is being attacked for anti-Semitism, while the most famous and enduring attack on his predecessor is the "look at this Jew trying to eat a bacon sandwich" photo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Holy poo poo there's a left wing version of insane right wing facebook images.

https://twitter.com/MontyBestUK/status/1201476770903576576

Like I don't technically disagree with the point but I feel like it could be communicated in a way that doesn't make me want to run the other way.

"Auschterity" is a good one, mind you. The Tories even say that working will make you free from it.

E: holding 21 is winning in blackjack. Holding a blackjack is winning in politics, depending on which alley you're holding it in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RockyB posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1201524156598239233

Yes, yes, don't trust poles and only look at the changes between poles. But when the poles tell you we're doing 7% better than 2017...

You can't trust the polls. But when the same people using the same methodology are telling you two different things at the same corresponding time, then you can draw a conclusion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I was gathering some info on Tory majorities and why LAB -7 can indicate a hung parliament, and found that the key seat where Labour will get a majority if they flip everything up to it is Uxbridge and South Ruislip. It's serendipitous to say the least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, gently caress me with a Toblerone.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192187159324844032

John Redwood's seat has shifted from ultra-safe to CON/LD marginal.

E: and the LD candidate is ex-Tory Philip Lee.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

My personal view is that if the Russians are interfering in our election it is not to the benefit of Labour or the Tories, but specifically - and bear with me here - to stop Brexit.

My personal view is that whatever you've been smoking, it was very rude of you to not offer to share.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah the only question is whether he tries to become leader of the libdems before this or he just goes and does this anyway

The leader of the Lib Dems has to be an MP.

Braggart posted:

Prince Andrew is a bad man for what he did with 17 year old girls with Jeffrey Epstein.

- the newspaper that used to put topless 16 year old girls on Page Three.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm hearing that the Conservative candidate for Barking, Tamkeen Shaikh, cybersquatted Margaret Hodge with a site saying "Don't vote Labour".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

It's the damned hateful, intolerant left again. It's like with those young Tories going on about how people call them names, or Tory MPs complaining that they get "scum" shouted at them, or the many articles about how hard it is to "come out" as Conservative, with all the insulting parallels being drawn with actual persecution of minorities. Like, you can just loving stop being a Tory. You know you're poo poo, people tell you on a daily basis you're poo poo, it's clearly causing you pain to be so poo poo. Just stop doing it?

They don't think they're poo poo, though, that's the point. They think they're responsible people making the tough decisions. It's like an MLM. The people at the top know they're poo poo but they're getting rich, the people in the middle dream of being the people at the top, but the people at the bottom just want to make a bit of scratch and got suckered in by being told what they wanted to hear. The Tories are dying out now because they've reached the point in the scheme where there's nobody new to sucker in.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 4, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Camrath posted:

Experiments in tablet are on the roadmap for the new year :)

NGL, being able to describe myself as a professional fudgepacker is a fringe benefit I intend to enjoy greatly.

In that case then, please go hog wild people!

https://www.facebook.com/105554397597689/posts/105579917595137?d=n&sfns=mo

Will your limited time offers be called Tempus Fudjit?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coming within hours of the Real McConnell saying Labour would work with Trump, the guy with a Tangerine Dream pisses him off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Keep in mind though that the Conservative voter base is quite literally dying off, and last time the Tories literally cannibalised nearly the entire UKIP voter base.

They have nowhere else to go.

The more important thing to remember is that in 2017 the Tories were standing against Kippers. This time they are not. Take a look at that graph showing that three quarters of BXP voters are now voting Tory. They swapped because Farage stood down his candidates, but they almost all did so in seats the Tories already hold.

I can't recall if I posted this statistic before, but the Tories have 163 ultra-safe seats (30% or greater lead) while Labour have only 45 including Chorley, which doesn't count. The Tory vote is thus already much more tightly concentrated; it's why LAB -7 can indicate no overall Tory majority. Now, thanks to Farage they've gained several more percentage points, but all it's really done is mean there are 200 ultra-safe Tories and we could see a hung Parliament at LAB -10.

In summary: if the 2019 polls match the 2017 polls at the same point in time, Labour are actually closer now than they were then.

E: the Commodore 64 was not a British computer, but it was better than the Spectrum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

justcola posted:

I also caved and got No Truce with the Furies

It's spelt with a T, mate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gort posted:

If the tories win next week poo poo will get worse and our chances to win will be better next time as a result

Assuming anyone who would vote Labour manages to survive five more years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

"Why would I only talk to half a country, I don't want to live in half a country" is a pretty good one imo.

The current PM is half a country. The first half, to be exact.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Na, she's a Star Trek Voyager character. (PS your R2-D2 image is a dalek - was that intentional?)

:goonsay:

There's a moderately well known T-shirt that has a picture of a Dalek and the logo "OMG it's R2-D2! I loved him in Star Trek!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Braggart posted:

Edit: Dial 420-69-8383 for affordable sexytimes :pervert:

Stay tuned, viewers, as Braggart becomes the first SA poster to be banned for self-doxxing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Quelle surprise. Here's a better Sun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOpwjLVquks

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

What are some good examples of parts of the NHS that have already been privatised, to counter the 'if tories wanted to sell the NHS they would have done it by now' bullshit?

https://www.nhsforsale.info/in-the-press/50-examples-of-nhs-outsourcing-failures/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

And no members of the local council have spoken out or were bribed to keep their mouth shut? Close elections happen, and recounting till you get consistant results is sensible if it's close. There's no real gain to fraud in that one seat, and it's not like they expected to lose it so could have prepared something ahead of time.

Recounts tend to be very similar to the original count. Fife was 1 vote; it finished at 2. Perth and North Perthshire was counted to 36 votes; it finished at 21. Kensington was around 35 votes on the provisional result; it finished at 20. Hastings and Rye had Rudd losing by a small margin I don't recall now; she won with 346.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

chestnut santabag posted:

Aren't ballots in the UK arranged alphabetically of surname?

Yes, they are. And with that in mind it's interesting to note that Thatcher and Wilson are the only Prime Ministers in the last 150 years whose surname comes from the second half of the alphabet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

No need for the comma there, Matthew.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

RockyB posted:

So once again the tories and the brexit party have ditched channel 4, this time for the 'anything but brexit' debate. So it's going to be everyone tediously piling on Labour.

I have just seen Angela Rayner make the Plaid guy go into a total breakdown though, so it was worth it for that. And I find Jo; representing herself yet again when everyone else sent a subordinate for the exposure hilarious.

Swinson has nobody else to send. They're all desperately trying to hang on to their own seats.

Tories not turning up for the "anything but Brexit" debate isn't going to reflect well on them. It implies that they're nothing but Brexit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pochoclo posted:

Do real people actually use those advent calendar things lol? Sounds so weird

You can get a board game advent calendar which has mini-expansions for 24 different games. Almost everyone who buys one makes a small profit selling the individual expansions for games they don't own.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yeah usually I'd agree, it's just that survation were very very accurate last time. I'm wondering whether it may have gone to their heads...

See: Silver, Nate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Don't think of it as murder, think of it as circumcising a dickhead.

:thermidor:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Braggart posted:

https://twitter.com/Lewiscon89/status/1204111761462497280

Okay maybe my sources lied to me, but I won't reveal them because I'm a credible journalist and we don't do that. I just won't use them again. You can trust me :smug:

That's pretty much the case, unless court proceedings are brought.

Got two identical Tory leaflets today, saying that "only Douglas Lumsden can defeat Nicola Sturgeon's SNP candidate". "Only X can win here" seems to be the theme of the election; I would wager that everyone in Scotland got one of these with a different Tory candidate on the left and "Nicola Sturgeon's SNP candidate" on the other side.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Why is that man dreaming of guillotining Arabs?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I saw a tweet today that I hadn't seen before, which said "GET BREXIT DONE is an anagram of BEING EXTORTED".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Are you implying what I think you are, here?

That they're on opposite sides? Yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chuka Umana posted:

[Charles Kennedy] died like two weeks after he lost his seat

Following the death of his father a month earlier and an abuse campaign orchestrated by the local SNP convener and his good friend Ian Blackford.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Emma calling sex workers "whores" is the big red flag imo. I don't really expect these people to be better than SWERFs, but they should def be scolded for their poo poo opinions regardless

Especially when they're talking about trafficked women.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I hate to have to defend her but she clearly says that people who have seen them say this. Parties are allowed to look at the postal votes as they arrive and while they're not supposed to count them there's nothing stopping them from getting an impression of the mix of votes, and certainly nothing stopping them saying things like "it looks good" or "it looks bad".

It doesn't matter. You're not supposed to report the findings.

Also postal votes are the province of the elderly so they never swing well for Labour. So yes, this is straight up the state broadcaster trying to sway the election. Get your complaints in because Kuntsberg is eligible for a nice cold cell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Braggart posted:

Big man Bozza is turning out to be a right tosser. He's making proud Tories into shy ones, too depressed to vote in some cases :getin:

:yeshaha:

I do not like the phrase "shy Tory". Call them Liberal Democrats like everyone else, please.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Also a lot of the really old ones predate radio so you literally needed people to already know the tune because factory workers were not generally musically literate. So they use things like john brown's body, or old christian hymns. Things people would already know and which were already well suited to choral singing by people with minimal practice.

Johnson's penis was a really awful sight
Half rotted off with syphilis and crusted up with shite
The wonder of it all is that the loving thing worked right
But the arse philanders onnnnn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/michael__42/status/1204680214594433033?s=20