Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well yeah, but who gives a poo poo if they're gonna get Leveson'ed anyway

If the press only get Levesoned then they're getting off lightly.

Also Christ it's strange knowing the future is arriving so soon, I don't think I've had an experience quite like this before.

Looking forward to hundreds of pages of nonsensical reaction posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got a link to that video of an interview with all 4 candidates where they hedged and hedged except Corbyn who gave a straight answer? I think it was a question about who would be in the shadow cabinet.
I've found a few leadership husting vids but they're all really long. The one I'm thinking of is quite short and essentially sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRJlagId870

There you go, it was about Ed Miliband.

Just while we're speaking of the legend of Corbyns rise to the leadership it's always worth reminding everyone that the whole thing was possible because a Labour MP got drunk and started throwing windmill punches at Tory MPs in one of the parliament bars.

Braggart posted:

Question for anyone with the expertise to answer: Could a Labour government simply immediately repeal the Health and Social Care Act 2012? Would doing so improve the situation somewhat by itself? I'm thinking along these lines because it seems like it would be much faster than introducing new legislation and we need changes ASAP. Obviously there would be more to do, but could this be an act of triage?

No it can't just be repealed because it was legislating the structure of the NHS, it can only be replaced by something (and repealing it in such a way that forces it to revert to the previous structure would be messier than just legislating a new form for it, as well as missing a real opportunity to properly update the NHS structures).

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 1, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I remember hearing that Cummings was going to repeat his Vote Leave strategy of dedicating most campaign attacks and resources to the final few weeks so the last thing people hear is a negative line about Labour so prepare yourselves because this is quite likely only the beginning of their bullshit.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

sebzilla posted:

The "Vote For Policies" thing is back again, I got a red/green split with one Lib Dem policy area in there too *spits*

Busy reminding people to vote tacticoolly to get/keep the Tories out in their area. Vote with smarts as well as hearts.

Eh everything is so high stakes and messy that unless the Labour vote was 1/10th of the Tory vote or so last time I'd still bang the Vote Labour drum. The Liberals will betray us so they need to be given as little as possible.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

justcola posted:

I was going to look through the last 2 threads to see how much crisp chat there was but instead asked 3 other posters then made the correct weighting.

Huh this actually tracks.

Archaeology Hat posted:

I feel like the Russia hysteria is pretty dangerous because Russia almost certainly is loving the West but the level of insanity BM and co have over it does a lot to discredit even the actually credible claims.

Great or otherwise involved political powers gently caress with each other's elections/political process, it's a fact of global politics. Whether its public calls of friendship/condemnation for a leader, secret phonecalls to bolster one side or another (Thanks Obama!), outright political threats or actual intelligence operations it all happens. It's just insane to act as if it's normal and okay for one side (the side writing the cheques usually) and deeply suspicious for anyone else to get a look in while also claiming to be independent.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Lol remember that tanker bound for Iran(possibly Syria now that I think about it) that US military intelligence gave information directly to the Royal Navy about and they held them prisoner for a few weeks without government prior approval while the US told us to defend our own poo poo in the Gulf.

Love our independent country.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

People think it makes them look intelligent and cautious but, if you're not a tory, being on the fence about voting Labour in 2019 just makes you look loving dumb as hell lol

At least a lib dem voter has decided to be crap

A huge amount of the public are still undecided or pretty unconfident in their vote even now but lol at having a job anywhere near politics and not firmly staking your claim publicly.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Unclear who in the conversation said that sentence tbh.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah also same

Although I'm gonna go canvassing in plymouth and brizzle
To soothe the anxiety at least just a little

Give a shout when you're doing bristol and we might be able to goonmeet it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah! It'll be next week, possibly Tuesday afternoon/evening and maybe Wednesday day time

Rarity, you in? Other bristol goons I've forgotten the names of? Wanna come join the electoral goon voltron?

Will you be doing the momentum sessions or do you have a set seat in mind? I'm highly mobile and going out pretty randomly right now.

Wednesday is going to be targetted leaflet drops (at least in kingswood) to remind our core support to get out on Thurs.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Tbh I've not thought that far ahead. We canvassed with Labour in Exeter but it was pretty bloodless and liberal, so we're going Momentum in Plymouth this weekend. So maybe Momentum?

In any case I think I'll head for Bristol North West, since that's a marginal. Although I'm yet to do close research on the city as a whole

You've got your choice of marginals around Bristol - NW, filton and Bradley stoke or kingswood. We're defending NW but kingswood is a bellweather seat and we sort of need FaBS if we're going to show/have shown we've got a convincing plan for the future (lots of richer people who often work at the MoD or Boeing so the harder groups to convince).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Big headline on one of the print 'news' papers today (didn't catch which one) - Johnson promising tax cuts to millions as soon as brexit done. I wonder if he ran that by Javid - how will they pay for all the stuff they've promised in their liefesto if they cut the taxes? Or is this another respend of the £350m? (All rhetorical questions btw!)

Javid absolutely loves cutting taxes, it was the spending and providing services part of government he hates so he's probably very happy.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I really don't understand why the proceedings were issued in the states. The claimant is British and an English court is much more likely to make a finding of defamation.

The international legal system operates in a way to benefit the wealthier party you say!?!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's the Circle of Life video but as a spirograph and unironic.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

I'm getting together with a bunch of mates and we're going to go find somewhere in town that sells booze that's showing it. Any goons planning on going to the Bristol Transformed event they've planned?

I'll be on GOTV until after the exit poll but potentially afterwards.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

On Marr they were also quite dismissive of labour now being a “party of the young” not the “working class”, yet somehow the statistics guy they had on neglected to mention that the inflection point between lab/con was 45 years old, those with families and working poor?

Same reason millenials are still considered to be teenagers by certain groups wanting to criticise the left - realising that the horrors of existence and the resulting radical tendencies aren't something that people can age out of means that the end of their dominance is inevitable but they can't acknowledge that fact so need to handwave it away.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Chuka Umana posted:

What is the possibility of Anna Soubry losing?

So high it runs out of numbers, resets to 0 and then reaches 100% again.

It'll be a weird result but she ain't getting the seat.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

But above all else I really have to say I am severely disappointed in the media, especially the Guardian. It's horrifying just how much they're hammering away at this anti-semitism thing just to prevent good things from happening. I can totally see people getting pissed off and start mixing their hatred for the greedy landlords with Jewish people in general and then it all goes downhill from there.

The media is a business like any other, it is self interested in its own existence above any other motivation and exists as a propagandist or flatterer for the bourgeoisie as a means of survival. Once we prove their internal and constantly self referencing narrative as incompatible with a fair and decent society it will be swept away and replaced by other means of sharing information and actually criticise the oppressive structures we live under. Sadly that's a real uphill struggle and a right pain in the arse to do.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

The biggest irony about the optimism of the “Information Age” is that we now have access to all of humanity’s collective knowledge at the touch of a button. Rather than making us smarter these algorithms have contributed to disinformation, tribalism, polarization of political thought and the peddling of ridiculous conspiracy theories. Even the most educated people have limited attention spans and who can get you to pay attention matters more than the content of your message.

I don’t think Brexit or Donald Trump would’ve been possible in the 1990s or in an era where the Internet wasn’t commingled with observable reality and day to day life.

“The Internet makes you stupid” seems almost prophetic now.

We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in.
Machinery that gives us abundance has left us in want.
Our knowledge has made us cynical.
Our cleverness, hard and unkind.
We think too much, and feel too little.
More than machinery, we need humanity.
More that cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.
Without these qualities life will be violent, and all will be lost.
The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together.
The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all.

That criticism isn't new, it's the fact that the left hasn't won yet that's the problem not the level of technological development in society.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Answers Me posted:

What would it take for ITV/BBC to take action on Laura K/Peston? I don't even know what would constitute a sackable offence at this point

Her flat out stating 'vote for Boris Johnson'. If there is any possible interpretation to let themselves off they will take it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

Well, in my opinion, yes. It does rehash some of the things we have heard before, but the overall argument that Corbyn, at best, tolerates a culture of anti semitism within the party is extremely powerful. And I say this as a dyed in the wool Corbynite.

So if it's tolerated why are they suspending and kicking out all of the idiots who keep saying all the anti-Semitic poo poo? It's not tolerated, it doesn't exist structurally within the party. The things that keep happening are Palestinian solidarity gestures which piss off the Zionists and gets them to insist on the existance of an anti-semitism culture when only an anti-Zionist one is consistently present and dumbass people being anti-semitic and getting canned for it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Just posted in my local Facebook group. Surely this is illegal?

Only if they're an official in some capacity or presenting the advice as official guidance.

OwlFancier posted:

Report her to the electoral commission and find out!

I'm pretty sure we've both made the same joke in this thread.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

jabby posted:

The video of Johnson from today is up to 7.3 million views on twitter.

That's insane, has anything else in the campaign even come close?

Edit: For those who missed it Labour's PPB on the beeb today was all about the NHS, with large excerpts of the Rob Delaney video. Incredible timing right after the six o'clock news presented Johnson as an uncaring monster.

Labour is reported to have the most interactions, with The Times describing Labour's "aggressive, anti-establishment messages" as "beating clever Tory memes". In the first week of November, Labour is reported to have four of the five most "liked" tweets by political parties, many of the top interactions of Facebook posts, as well as being "dominant" on Instagram, where younger voters are particularly active.[97] Bloomberg reported that between 6–21 November the views on Twitter/Facebook were 18.7m/31.0m for Labour, 10m/15.5m for the Conservatives, 2.9m/2.0m for the Brexit Party, and 0.4m/1.4m for the Liberal Democrats.[98]

Yeah so it getting that many hits in a day will make it possibly the most viewed thing this election.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Tomberforce posted:

Has anyone got any better strategies for dealing with patronising Tory family members telling me that I don't remember the 70s and the 3 day week and that I should never vote Labour as a consequence?

I'm concious that my breathless babbling about media ownership and bias, propaganda and plots to undermine public ownership can come off as a bit tin foil hat (even though it's all true) so need to simplify it a bit.

Ultimately I don't think they'll ever come around till the services they take for granted are gone and it affects them :(

The 3 day week happened under a Tory government.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone know of a good place to rent a room/place to meet in the evening in Bristol? My usual place has become unavailable when I wanted in and am trying to find somewhere in the centre that's not awful. It's only going to be for 6-12 people but I don't want to just occupy a corner of a pub like we often do.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

What are you looking to do and on what days?

Quiet place in the evening for some people to get together and figure out what to do after the election.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Noice keep us updated.

Also, last call for brizzles for canvassing. I've skipped my bus so I'm committed now

I've been pesky these last few days and will spend potentially a full 24 of the next 54 hours working so I am taking a break. Hope things go well in NW/FaBS.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I'm extremely happy about another hung parliament and another election maybe in the middle of next year.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Same poo poo as before, their coverage is borderline libel but at the last second he's the only hope against the Tories while they utterly fail to pull their weight in the fight.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

I refuse to believe, but I'm going to fight til it loving kills me.

Any brizzle goons up for gotv on Thursday?

I'm driving all day, have you filled in the Momentum city wide form or are you doing a particular seat?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Nah I haven't. I'm relegated to my own two feet, so outside of getting to the bus station from Exeter I'm on me own. Tbh I'm gonna look into the logistics once I get home. I'll hit you up tho if that's alright

Yeah do the form on the Bristol Momentum website for GOTV19 and you'll get presorted into an area and they'll try and hook you up with transport up to the GOTV area you've signed up for.

Also if you fancy going to Redruth they'll like your help there?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Do people not object to being leafleted at six in the morning?

Polls aren't open that early so you're getting people into position or dropping cards saying TODAY'S THE DAY GET OUT THERE AND VOTE so no they don't mind.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Nah it's a dril paraphrase.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

It's also not even really news, lots of old people are both Tories and postal voters. There's a wave of blue poo poo in the postal ballots and that should be already accounted for.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

A porn star known as the cock destroyer voted for Labour.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I'm so sorry. I went out and did my best, it wasn't enough.

Isolate, nuke the lovely island I live on immediately. It's fine, the cost is outweighed by the benefits.

Alternatively, reformist socialistm has always been bullshit, only revoluntary socialism can achieve its goals to liberate the working class. Death to the bourgeoisie.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Okay, this winter is going to be the death of the left. We are disorientated, defeated and hosed up. If you have any kind of meeting or other political meeting before Christmas loving GO TO IT.

Even if you hate everyone there and what they are saying they are giving you a point of reference to lock onto over the coming months. Hundreds of thousands of people have been hosed over for their efforts today and they will need guidance and direction and something to look to rather than months of loving around.

Do not abandon Labour, do not sacrifice yourself purely for Labour.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

xtothez posted:

I almost think that the next leader needs to be 'disposable' in a sense. With 4+ years to go, anyone picked next will be constantly attacked and smeared until their personal popularity is no better than Corbyn's before the next election.

It may be best to have someone around for 2-3 years to eat most of that flak before making way for a fresh face.

That's dumb as hell.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

MrFlibble posted:

Well, it didn't hit me that hard now that i've had a sleep. I knew Boris was popular and Brexit was popular and I just willfully ignored the Brexit party only playing splitter to Labour.

I did see this coming, back when Boris was announced and just allowed myself a delusion.

Back to hope is a lie now.

Nah electoral politics is the lie, militant working class movements, direct action and insurrection tactics is the hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

oxford_town posted:

think this will be particularly important if the sky doesn't fall in under Johnson; all those northern labour voters voting tory for the first time are unlikely to come back with such an approach

Labour lost the seats because Labour voters didn't vote and some to the Brexit party, not that they voted Tory.

The lessons to learn are why the voters were unmotivated, not what did the Tories do to lure them over.