Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NienNunb posted:

I heard there’s a girl from Galway, confirm/deny?

I did a bunch of ancestry work a couple years back and traced my family back to Galway so this is definitely true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Doesn’t say you can’t mix the mustard with anything so I’d make a little mustard smoothie with some more agreeable flavors and be on my merry way

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Critical posted:

new depeche mode single just dropped for my fellow fans in here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyrLRixMs8

solid B imo. gives me precious vibes. very weird to see them as a duo now :smith:

they also need work on their chess openings

I've listened to this a bunch the past couple of days and had already been on a kick listening to 80s goth and new wave stuff all week, so today I'm just diving deeper and deeper into that pool.

When I was 15 my friends and I got to see Depeche Mode on the heels of "The Singles 86-98" coming out. We were also super into Stabbing Westward at the time and they opened for them which was like the perfect show for my 15-year-old heart and brain.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

I just saw the trailer for the new fast movie and lol it makes me giggle. I've never seen a single one but I kind of love that it exists. Because I like dumb fun things. I also like how every former villain becomes a friend like it's dragon ball.

You owe it to yourself to watch them all. My partner went out of town for something a while back, a little before the last movie was coming out. I had never seen any of them and for whatever reason decided I'd use the week she was gone to watch them all. They are stupid fun at their best and boring at their worst, but you'll usually get some fun action scenes and always some hilariously bad acting and dialogue.

F9 was the first movie we saw back in theaters and it was such a fun way to see one of those movies.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Stroker Ace posted:

I gave up on the second Last of Us because it was just too overwhelming during the beginning of the pandemic, but I’m able to enjoy the show for some reason. I loved the first game, really loved it but just couldn’t get into the second one.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to get into the second game for the same reason, but for whatever reason escaping a plague in a video game where poo poo is just insane on so many different levels was enough to separate it from real life. I still don't think I need a show/movie/podcast that's about a more general pandemic or covid specifically, though.

I have a simple dream of living a life like TV series Bill, pandemic or not.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Stroker Ace posted:

If I wanted a game that I could just chill in and explore stuff is No Man’s Sky a good choice in this horrible year of our lord 2023? Sometimes I just want like Skyrim or Horizon without poo poo trying to kill me.

I haven’t played any of these games and I’m sure there are more, but it looks like the No Combat Open World genre is a thing and I never realized it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

For the love of god, ride the ET ride. It’s so old and weird and beautiful.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We've had a sick dog keeping us up the past two nights and today my brain feels completely fried and like it's unable to complete even the simplest task at work. I just want to crawl into the wood stove and live there for the day.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

hope your dog is okay :smith:

I think she's probably fine – she's eating and drinking like normal and has her regular energy, I think something is just messing with her stomach. Thank you!

Shinjobi posted:

Please stay out of the wood stove

I'll try, but no promises. (it's warm enough this morning that we didn't need to have a fire, so right now it'd just be a nice warm escape holding last night's heat)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NienNunb posted:

I thought I had friends

Classic Mulhouse

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I’m jealous of your day. Dang ole dags woke me until extra early and now I have to go snow blow our big rear end driveway of the ~8 of snow we got overnight, but after that I think I’m also on a “don’t do poo poo” schedule. I think my main plan is to drink coffee and mess around with my new track saw which both sound delightful to me.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is Poltergeist technically a haunted house movie? What about Beetlejuice? The first Conjuring was really good despite the sequels going down the toilet, IMO. Evil Dead could be weird enough to be fun if they're not strictly into straight horror. It's probably too old, but The Uninvited is also really great – we accidentally watched it once when we thought we were watching The Innocents and were glad we did (The Innocents also kicks rear end). Also really loved The Changeling (1980).

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

mariooncrack posted:

IMO skip evil dead and just watch evil dead 2.

I love the atmosphere and feeling of dread the first movie has but the tree rape scene has really aged poorly and is really unsettling.

Hm, that's a good call. I haven't seen it in ages at this point and I feel like I get the two conflated.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Thing could also consolidate Thriller, Sci-Fi, and Infected if you really wanted it to.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We should have a PSP movie club or something. Posting about cool horror movies to watch is making me want to watch a bunch of cool horror movies.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Captain Magic posted:

I’m very into a PSP movie club but if it just becomes a thing where we watch LPs of Yakuza games I’m gonna be upset

I’m not saying I have to run the club but if I do it definitely won’t be that because I’m not a nerd

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I found 3 Stone Cold, 1 Rock, and 1 Best of Raw VHS tapes today while thrifting. The Raw tape had a warning on the tape that says something like - this tape contains humor that not everyone will “get”.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

There's something about the look in that puppet, the smirk, he looks so drat proud as he turns to the camera and it kills me every time.

For me, it’s the way he furrows his brow as the music kicks in like the puppet itself is trying to stifle laughter

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Mario movie was exactly what I expected it to be, nothing more and nothing less. It’s just a thing that exists, the epitome of “fine”.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

guy: "ahh, grape drink."

director: no, it's _____!

that sort of thing is what happens but i want to at least remember what the product was. it wasn't grape. i'm going to throw my head off the entire state building if i don't figure this out.

does anyone know if it's from rocko's modern life?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbepxXKCVRA

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shinjobi posted:

The system works

mods provide

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shinjobi posted:

I try to avoid the high traffic times of movie theaters not just for covid reasons but also for my sanity.

Since moving to a small town without an Alamo Drafthouse, this is also my game plan. We’ve seen a bunch of cool movies with like 0-6 other people in the theater by picking weirdo times. Our winter tradition was to do a double feature with a friend of ours on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Plus, our theater has a deal with a diner down the street to do a dinner and a movie deal where you get 2 movie tickets and a $20 gift card to the diner for $40. It rules.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Ladybird says spring has officially sprung

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

omg your dog looks so much like my last dog :unsmith:

What a sweet little face! Ours is a greyhound/saluki mix so she's fast and energetic when she wants to be, but lazy like in the photos 90% of the time.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

that’s exactly what Bonnie was too :3:

It’s such a good combination! I don’t think we’ll ever not have a greyhound after having Ladybird. I hope you had many great fun and/or lazy years with Bonnie :unsmith:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Captain Magic posted:

Lol I honestly didn’t remember the name of it. Anyway, I did some searching and it was a Bearaby. Apparently I spent a lot! Never thought about the cost since tho, which seems like a good endorsement. I love that thing. I loving hate sleeping poorly and love to sleep well so I am super willing to spend more of my cash on that I guess. I also got a super de-dooper buckwheat pillows and a podcast mattress. Love to sleep fellas, I’m a sleep lover

I want to live in this blanket

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Stroker Ace posted:

There’s this band I love called Iron Chic and one their lyrics is “there’s no answers so take a guess and make up the rest.” The older I get the more that rings true. I don’t think anyone knows what they’re doing totally.

Hell yeah, Iron Chic buddy. Also have always loved seeing your Hot Water Music av.

I turn 40 this year and I still don't know what the gently caress we're supposed to be doing. I don't know if my parents felt the same way. I have 2 older siblings and my mother & stepfather always just seemed to know what they were doing, but I'm sure a lot of it was a guessing game. Maybe less so once I was born since they had been through it with two kids already by then.

Sometimes I think back to stuff like when we'd get hit with a major storm like a blizzard that dumps feet of snow on us and knocks out power and poo poo, and as a kid you just kind of trust that your parents know what they're doing and you're just excited about the snow and the days off from school. I'm sure they were freaking out and taking steps to prepare for stuff like that, I just never realized it or noticed it as a kid.

As an adult, having to worry about and plan for and think about this stuff with our own home, I have to assume my parents also felt the same confusion and uncertainty about what to do at times. Maybe because my partner and I don't have, and aren't going to have, kids we can voice our concerns a little more freely because we don't need to make sure our kid doesn't freak out about us freaking out.

I feel like there's also a weird suspended animation this generation is living in. Everything that was popular when we were kids just keeps getting recycled and becoming popular again and again, and like 80% of media consumption is based around nostalgia from when we were kids. I could be wrong since I didn't really live through the times in the same way, but I have to assume it wasn't like this for our parents when they were our age. For them, everything maybe felt like it was moving forward and you had to "put childish things away". For our generation, every corporation caters to us and sells us all of our childhood back to us. How could we ever really expect to feel grown and like "real adults" in those circumstances?

I don't know. I think about this poo poo all of the time as this wall of text probably makes clear, but at the end of the day I think you've just got to do your best and live your life the best way you can. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stare longingly at my VHS collection.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Shard posted:

Yeah I have had to deal with city evacuations, 21 inch flooding, blackouts, tornadoes etc as an adult. I just want my kids to feel like everything is ok but that means taking it on my shoulders. Oh god now I'm remembering when I used to work for the state and actually evacuated Lake Charles and then when everyone was gone sped away from Hurricane Laura at 2 in the morning to get out of the blast zone. Jesus adulting

It sucks real bad sometimes! When we moved into our first house in Texas, my partner went back home for a week to visit her family. Then Hurricane Harvey hit Texas. Where we were in Austin didn't get slammed like a lot of other places did, but there I was alone in a brand new house for the first time trying to figure out what I'd do if everything went sideways and I had to figure out a way to keep the house/pets safe or whatever. Luckily some neighbors helped me keep the newly planted tree in our front hard from blowing out of the ground and to who knows where. But, I didn't sleep for probably 3 days and just kept moving into different rooms of the house where the wind wasn't as loud banging against the walls of the house.

At least when we had The Ultimate Freeze a couple years back in Austin, we were there together so we could tackle things and prepare together but poo poo. It's all hosed up!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Bluedeanie posted:

mowing the dumb grass in my stupid lawn

I may do this but I'm excited about it. We got a zero turn mower last year and it's a loving blast to ride (drive?).

I think we officially have zero plans this weekend so far. The past two weekends we've had appointments at the groomer for our dogs (Randy turns 5 today!), but this weekend is wide open. Maybe we'll go see Renfield.

Sorry you're having such a tough go of it, Kvantum. I hope things turn around for you and this is just a momentary setback before much better days ahead.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

neoaxd posted:

Hell yeah, about to grill up some bird myself :cheers:

Would you classify it as a basic bird?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I put my tongue on a chin-up bar on the playground during recess as a child in the dead of New York winter. Nobody saw me as I panicked with my tongue stuck to the metal. I pulled it off and left my skin on the bar as I swallowed my blood the rest of the day. I decided I’d just say I bit my tongue sledding down a hill but never had to because nobody ever asked about it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Watching Sinead O' Connor documentary, the way people reacted to her was hosed up, some TV personality said her abuse as a child "was justified"

There was a recent episode of the podcast You're Wrong About that focused on her, too, if you want more Sinead content. She just always seemed to be unbelievably badass.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Stroker Ace posted:

Yes, because the cops aren’t going to do poo poo, whoever it was is a loving dork that left a Rick and Morty vape pen on the floor. I bagged it for evidence.

That loving sucks. There is someone around here who would probably armbar a cop for you if you asked nicely, at least.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

We just got done watching Run For The Money on Netflix and now we want to watch as many seasons of that show as we can find. It’s so outlandish and goofy and over the top.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Quantum of Phallus posted:

never liked a zelda until BOTW. they're all boring

A Link To The Past is my favorite and the one I was most into, but Link's Awakening also rules and the Switch version of it from a little while back kicked rear end.

The weapon degradation and cooking kind of killed BOTW for me and I don't know if I'll check out the new one since it seems similar, though the weapon combination thing seems like maybe it helps with degradation.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Decided to take a mental health day today. Might spend some time building something in the ole wood shop, or just being lazy and eating doughnuts.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

One year my partner got me a root beer sampler box for Christmas. It was a box with like 30 different randomly selected root beers from around the world. It loving ruled.

Barqs and Mug stink.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It is a shame that on the day I have decided to start using the exercise bike again, there is no AEW Youtube Wrestling to put on to watch while I pedal. Tony should bring the shows back just for me, for this reason only.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So is there less weapon degradation and cooking in this one or is it the same as the last one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Eat My Fuc posted:

There's the same amount, but I found cooking to be fun and it's more fun now because you can save recipes and don't have to remember them in your head. Also weapon degradation is even more inconsequential now because you can make a weapon out of anything that are better than the weapons you find, you can make fighter jets and mechs lol.

Those both sound like nice improvements. The weapon combination thing seemed like it would help with degradation a bit. Maybe I’ll give it a shot!