Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've been playing this since last year and it's just been amazing watching it come together bit by bit but even now I still can't really say for sure if Hypnos is loving with me or not.

I habitually avoided Zeus boons for months since his poo poo never quite clicks outside his primary attack buff on Exagryph or maybe his cast, anyone had any good luck with him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

dmboogie posted:

anyway heres some thoughts i had about where the story could go (spoilers for this game and the rest of supergiant's catalog

So, Supergiant always things changes things up pretty massively from game to game, but all their stories have a core theme in common - the end of a civilization.

In Bastion, The Kid wakes up after the cataclysmic fall of The City, picking through the shattered pieces of something that was (ostensibly) great. Transistor takes place on the final day of Cloudbank's existence, before the Process factory reset everything and everyone. In Pyre, the stars are dying, and the ancient rites are coming to an end - and you directly bring about the end of the Commonwealth, yourself.

Where does that leave Hades?

We're still in Early Access, and I certainly haven't seen all the voice lines myself, but I've noticed a trend.

In his old age, Cerberus spends more time lying down at Hades' side than standing guard at his post. Hades himself remarks that he is far, far weaker than he used to be. All the ancient heroes are dead and in the Underworld, from Achilles to Orpheus. Any time a non-godly figure or monster is referenced, it's in the past tense - the living world is barren of myths, or at least any that were passed down to us.

The glory days are over.

Is the Greek pantheon itself near the end of its existence? The fact that it's winter outside when Zag escapes, but Persephone is very much not in the Underworld shows that something is very obviously wrong.

I have a lot of questions about whats going beyond Zag's jailbreak, like what exactly are those Satyrs getting up to in the temple? Why is Hermes making it a point to hide that he's assisting you from the other gods and whats his deal with Charon? Why is exactly is Hades concealing so much from Zagreus. He had this out bit at the start of a run where he tells Zag having red blood is just an oddity of no importance and that he really shouldn't bring it up with anyone. Is Zag somehow part human? Are the gods becoming mortal? Does that even mean anything in the underworld? Why the gently caress can't I give Asterius gifts and is Theseus really THAT thick or is he just doing a bit because he's bored and also not Herakles?

Also not convinced the Narrator is just the narrator going by past Supergaint games but hard to say what his deal is.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 17, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

shadowodes posted:

I've got a couple of Gods that have hearts with timers on them and I'm unable to give them any Nectar.

Do I have to talk to them more? Or go through more runs?

If your up to a timer I believe that's just end of gift giving in current content.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Zag escapes the underworld and get to the surface only to immediately get scooped up by Demeter and stuck up on Olympus. This lasts about a week before Zag gets sick of the place and it becomes the last/new set of biome as he tries to get down.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Eraflure posted:

Trinkets are really strong and well worth your time (well maybe not Sisyphus). Purchase the trinket swapping thingy asap and get in the habit of swapping them through the run.

The shackles can out in some solid work since they buffed them to work on trap damage too. Get some knock back and let spikes, lava and everything in Elysium do your work.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My favorite thing about Zeus is the way Dionysus tries to discreetly tell Zag to watch the gently caress out for him.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want a big gently caress off axe like my good friend Asterius.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
On the bright side, if your like me and just wanted to click off the prophecy for it all you have to do is get outside, you don't actually have to beat the last boss with the silly thing.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Cursed blade and a good attack aspect is some face rolling lunacy Guen Yu only wishs it was.

Whats that Artemis and Worldsplitter buff? Get over 40 health back on every crit? By Zag you've talked me into it!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

buildmorefarms posted:

I've not played post 'hotfix' patch, but initial impressions with a fully-upgraded guan yu spear (so, 40hp total) were pretty negative; kiting enemies to get off more spin attacks to recover HP slows the pace, while standard gameplay is designed to be pretty hectic. In general, standing still charging an attack (like the bow) really doesn't sit well with me; I think it ruins the flow of the game.

Fishing is another odd choice too - the standard gameplay loop seems to be about pace, when fishing deliberately stops that. Maybe I'm just angry that my fish always get away. When are you supposed to reel them in!?

fishing is simple, you just press the button once the fish actually bites, signifed by the float going under the... liquid. It's mostly just a nice source of easy gems I think. You'd need them to get through the drat contractors list.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I wish I could get Zeus or Demeter to talk about each other because her trash talking the other Olympians about how easily she could ruin them at anytime has been pretty great.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Demeter: "Ah yes I was just telling my stepbrother Poseidon here how I could just freeze his oceans solid if I was in a mood"
Poseidon: "Yes and we're all rightly terrified of you for that and would prefer our oceans liquidy HEY LOOK ITS ZAGREUS LETS GIVE HIM A DUO BOON"

'Nuclear' Winter grandma owns.

Shame that Duo kinda blows. It turns your cast into a slow moving icicle that doesn't track and farts out tiny ice tornados that do meaningless damage by the time you'd gotten it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is it really still Underworld renovations when the part being renovated is the overworld?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want a chariot.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Also for some aasinine reason Meg and Thanatos both can't be used against the final boss.
You don't get to be an inspirational poster by being insubordinate.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Haha, secret aspect for the rail turns it into a laser gun. Course it would.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

me: i know they're going to update charon at some point but his placeholder look is actually appropriate for him
new charon: hhhhh
me: gently caress that's really good

I keep looking at him and see an undead gunslinger to be honest.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

I got the phrase to unlock the rail aspect from Zeus, and the one of the shield aspect from Chaos

I'm not crazy about the new rail aspect but I did get the Aphrodite weapon boon, the +dmg to Weak foes boon, and the faster damage ramp-up Hammer upgrade and that was pretty crazy. Not quite sure how you're supposed to use the special though. After I put a boon on it, it basically blew up like the normal special after I launched it - I didn't have to shoot it first.

The special on the Rails hidden aspect is basically a little powder keg that will explode if any attack touches it, or I guess if you launch another and already have three laying around. It's sort of handy since you can set them up as enemies are spawning in.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm excited the next patch is supposed to be 1.0 and actually include the ending because I am real ready for an explanation about Zag's mom and some of the weird secret motives of the cast and why the Temple of Styx seems to be overrun with Satyr cultists.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sindai posted:

Yeah the anvil seems...extremely situational.

When I first saw the anvil I was pretty hyped for that poo poo and of the three times I've decided to buy it I've kinda hosed myself for the last boss or essentially just broke even in terms of upgrades. It turns out rolling the dice on radically altering what was probably already an at least functional build at the 11th hour can be ill advised.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I take Ocean's Bounty if Chaos has thrown out a good Obel multiplier and especially If I've krumped Charon for discounts, get that ball rolling early enough ands that a lot of retail therapy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think cheating in some gemstones is completely legal because it's cosmetic and they keep swapping poo poo around on it. I know Zag's room had that relief above it before this patch and now your charging me to get it back ya hard hat bastards?! :mad:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok, two questions now I beat Hades once.

How to use the ambrosia? You have to use the nectar in someone several times before? The wording in the wiki is slightly confusing.

What's the easiest Heat 1 modifier, in your opinion?

Ambrosia is something you use to upgrade a relationship after you've given them like 5 or so necters, It has another use but you need to get a great to maxed out relationship with key people for that to come up.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
This 5 seconds of alpha strike boon that Uncle Popo keeps offering sounds really useless considering how big some rooms are and the way boss fights work? I guess if your really gunning for every tick of the Hermes keepsake it might help.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I did a Rama bow aspect run the other day, wound up with duel and exploding shot layered into it with the Artemis boon on the primary attack. It took like 4 full seconds to charge but drat if it couldn't blow out huge drat numbers on even a half draw.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Theseus going from classical hero to full on Rambo, strapped up with bullets and explosives, gleefully hailing rockets down is honestly the best character arc in the game.

Frankly I hate to take him out of the stupid because he's just plain easier to deal with while he's cruising around. On the other hand I guess full plate Bull Man more than makes up for that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

big cummers ONLY posted:

The Chthonic Companions are Beanie Babies, right? That's the joke? With the alliterative name and background stories, and tags?

I assumed they were the cursed forms of underworld inhabitants who were damned to adorable collectability for failing to learn the lessons of their fable.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Moon water is completely deranged and I can't really justify taking anything else over it. You can gently caress up so much more when you have 3 to 7 charges of 50 hp heals that also pay you for the service

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
OH BOY I just met a special NPC after going upstairs a few times!

Heracles! And he's a dick! :neckbeard:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I like Apollo but I'm favoring the Axe. Big damage percent boost on a big base damage weapon with big made bigger area of affect. Get the right hammer boons and you can swat people for over 1k.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

External Organs posted:

Question: is there a way to unlock a way to swap out trinkets between bosses ..? Or is that just gone.

That upgrade and so many like it are all in the cauldron eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I feel like you only really need one MP boon per run and then you're just kind of set.

I do keep forgetting sprint exists, though. Too used to Hades 1.

Shoot, there's a card that does MP regen in a good enough kinda way. Maybe not enough for a super MP hungry build but I dunno how real those are yet?