Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hat Thoughts posted:

-> (and also) -> as a way to (rather than etc. 'filmic', , etc.).
solution, @ the technical skill in the technical skill of (and also, pretty clearly, like, 'plot').
makes 'wonder' maybe more like 'bafflement' or disorientation but that with & as mentioned, , which, with has u like...'dog' ? U, but &, if ur

I thought it would be interesting to shorten your post but otherwise keep the structure intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hat Thoughts posted:

i dont know computer (proudly) but enjoy coding bootcamp soldier

No computer stuff here, that's literally the weird symbols and dividers that you typed with your actual keys

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Schadenfreude

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

YggiDee posted:

The movie might be a disaster but it got me interested in the stage production, so for me at least it's a net gain.

My wife and I did not expect to LOVE the 1998 stage musical.

Especially after obsessing over this thread. Over how bad the movie must be.

I think the deal is, you have to go into the stage musical totally prepared. This thread is enough preparation. Any less will mean you're too busy wondering why the gently caress the play exists to pay attention, and that will cause it to make infuriatingly little sense to you. You have to know about the poems and the rough progression of what happens. You must know about all the weird stuff. That there's a cat orgy scene. Once your expectations are lowered in all the ways they should be, you will love it.

I was amazed that the ENTIRE musical made perfect sense to me. I could appreciate what each and every moment of it was trying to communicate me. The execution was impressive in every way. The choreography brought the poems to life just right while adding a whole dimension.

It is also crucial that you MUST have text captions turned on -- you can get them if you watch the 1998 play online. This play is a book of poems; poetry is about how well the words work together. Normally when you're hearing music, struggling to catch only every other word to get the gist of the story or whatever, but not a poem where the entire point *is* the words and the story is minimal to serve that.

It also really helps if you are a cat owner and know exactly all the ways that a cat annoys its owner. The ending really DID speak to me because I know how easy it is to hurt a cat's ego.

The only things I don't like about CATS are the face makeup (because no one likes clowns) and some pacing issues (some slower numbers to pad time between songs with verrrry slow-spoken dialogue, often mumbled inaudibly even though it's important).

Finally:

CATS is just a bunch of songs about a bunch of poems about a bunch of cats with jobs that they love. Jobs to do normal things cats do to annoy their owners.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 9, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Das Boo posted:

I went with a few friends tonight! We were kinda confused when we went to make reservations and the theater was... packed? Our plan was to pregame beforehand and just have a big, dumb, drunk time.

Well, that's why the theater was packed. It was a wonderful, friendly, rowdy crowd and people were laughing, cheering, joking, clapping along to the music, and gave a standing ovation. It was a goddamn blast. The theater let out and everyone was singing the Mistoffelees song as they flooded into the lobby. Everyone was just happy as hell and the couple of our group who were huge CATS fans were thrilled with the viewing.

Never been to a movie where my audience was all in on the joke, but I notice audiences in LA are more participatory overall? It's the only place I see ovations at movies on the regular.

Anyway, that was phenomenal.

I bought my friends and I tickets to the goddamn Chinese Theatre in downtown Hollywood for tomorrow, and was shocked to see the opposite was the case -- totally empty seating except for what I reserved. Looked again today, still the same. Is it still gonna be a party when tomorrow comes? Are people gonna all buy their tickets last minute? Or will my friends and I just chill in a pretty famous theater and shout at a bad movie?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Watched the movie in Chinese Theater last night and others did end up showing up. Never seen an audience like this at any movie; it really makes it feel like a cultural event of our generation rejecting crap produced by the previous generation's executives. Everyone was young and drunk and cackling through the whole movie. One guy from the group in front of us left and came back, loudly announcing that he threw up.

The movie itself and its jerky CG dancing felt like peering into one of these ads for five hours:

Shout outs to Rum Tum Tugger losing his role from the play almost entirely, yet the actor still sang his heart out from behind the foreground actors and managed to add a lot to the songs anyway. His talents were wasted in favor of Rebel Wilson and Judi Dench and Gandalf doing more flat not-singing talking, as often as possible throughout the movie's lyrics, by themselves, without backup singers.

That really stood out as something I wasn't warned about in here. It's not just that Hooper is zooming in on ONE cat's face during each of the songs, it's that all the other actors' parts have been removed. In the stage play each song was a highly cooperative exercise; now it's all just solos, performed by some of the least talented soloists. For each uncomfortably long close-up or camera pan following one actor's jerky CG body, there was brilliant chemistry removed that would have existed between *multiple* cats riffing off of each other in the stage performance.

Another thing the thread didn't warn me about was the gross leg scratching in the beginning. But I suppose the hosed up mice children appearing right afterwards made everyone forget. Now you can remember.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh my god

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
A horror game where the various CATS jump out and chase you

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
In the seeeeeeeason of venison, I give my benison to

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Who..... who's Alegrķa?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
CATS by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss

Save cost by giving the lead actors/actresses nothing to do, filling the cast of CATS entirely using Hollywood extras. Grinning techbros with beards they found in the office down the street, and drunk friends of the producers, all hooting and hollering together in $100,000 costumes as they rush off into battle. Send them off against the dogs army on a suicide-charge where they immediately are written off and the main characters (not even cats) promptly forget them to do some CG fantasy poo poo. Elon Musk cameo as one of the extras. Meow.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/Novaya_Mod3l/status/1218036767712075776

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I hope someone compiles a list of all the non-sung lines that were added to this Movie to "explain" it. They were all hilarious, added nothing to the original poems, and probably fit on half a page.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
CATS 2019 will go down as David Lynch's greatest achievement whether he made it or not. He should go ahead and take credit for it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Trailer opens in a sleazy milk bar filled with cockroach strippers. A retired RumTumTugger (Dwane "The Rock" Johnson) drowns his sorrows. A sexy government agent ladycat appears:

"I'm CIA director Jennifer Annydots. 12 hours ago, terrorists captured a party yacht owned by Columbian catnip king Ernesto McCavity, taking all guests hostage... including U.S. Senator Old Deuteronomy."

"You crazy bitch... you want to bring back the Jellicle Squad?"

ROLL CALL:
Equipment and Special Ordinance: MR. MISTOFOLEES
(A top hat flies through a window into the terrorist base. The hat flips inside out turning into a mini-predator drone and murders everyone)

Sabotage and Asset Acquisition: MUNGOJERRY and RUMPLETEASER
("Aw don't be hatin', we got straight-up ninja skills, si ese?" "Aw hells yeah, we mucho bueno samurai, my brotha!")

Transport and Heavy Artillery: SKIMBLESHANKS, the RAIL-GUN cat
(Tapdances furiously on top of a giant bipedal mech)

(Explosion/SFX/action montage)
BECAUSE
JELLICLES CAN
AND
JELLICLES DO

(Cut back to milk bar.)
Rum-Tum-Tugger: "Well... there's nothing I prefer to a horrible muddle."

TITLE CARD

This rules, so spot on

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Listen to this. The same sounding musical moment is in both songs.

CATS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiaGOdHU7dk&t=90s

Mentos commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zivWsrKQSDU&t=7s

I think there's some cinematic universe crossover here. (Or the Mentos folks just liked CATS. Or seeing CATS gave someone a subliminal message to go out and sell more Mentos.)

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 19, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just found a better timestamp on both the CATS and Mentos videos for the effect, try them again

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh no I'm going to look up the entire starlight express musical aren't I

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Just noticed that our Skimbleshanks is placed at the very bottom of the pile in the 1998 CATS orgy scene, forming a platform for the others

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Here's a little palette cleanser after you're done with that thought:

https://twitter.com/jonathanfly/status/1218788132965011457

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 19, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I need a new replacement laptop to render all the CATs gifs. I need to get an old computerotomy

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Did Korea release the pre-patch version??? The other thread thinks so

Is there even a pre-patch version at all? Is it just a PR trick? Did the studios lie about patching anything at all after the bad trailer, just like they seemingly lied about patching out the most embarrassing errors post-release (seeing as how despite that EVERYONE reports that they saw Dench's wedding ring)?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qhdshnmOXE

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
But is it any *different* or worse than the standard US wedding ring cut? Like, with pre-first-trailer-backlash graphics? If so I assume there would already be side by side comparisons up on Twitter right?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm the extra ring they forgot to edit out on the non-wedding ring hand

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Awww come on, they pulled the growltiger fight scene from youtube over copyright. Glad you all saved the screencaps of the missing leg

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Gianthogweed posted:

Speaking of Growltiger. Here's the cut "Growl Tiger's Last Stand" song and dance number that was originally in the play in the 80s, but they cut it out in the 90s because the Siamese Cats are referred to as "chinks" and have racist Chinese accents.
https://youtu.be/QIlhJMyqdgU

Wow, this clip shows two performances on two different years taped back to back. By the second clip the Growltiger laugh got invented, for one. The outfits and choreography changed. It's insane how much the play changed every year.
(and no one ever thought to remove the racist stuff, lol)

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Gianthogweed posted:

It really wasn't until the 90s that white mainstream people started caring about that stuff. Remember that Song of the South was re-released in theaters in the 80s.

fixed

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 29, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh! Well I never have I ev-oops

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They didn't just straightwash Mistoffelees, but every single male cat comes off as a straight incel in the new one

Oh wait except Skimble

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
ikr, why can't the two catchiest songs just be less racist enough to be able to sing them out loud?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I dunno, I don't hate this. It recontextualizes the problematic element into a problematic character trait that the work as a whole no longer endorses. If you're gonna keep it as written, this is probably genuinely the best option.

Wouldn't work so well with Growltiger's last stand though...

e:

drat :stare: What a great and unexpected introduction to what a Manson-style cult is. I also wish it had talked more about MacCavity and his perhaps-staged public denouncement in front of everyone (and denial of the prize) as a warning to the others.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 31, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Don't accuse my movie of being horny! Look I hired Rebel Wilson just so that we wouldn't have to talk about this!!!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Do you all remember the foot fetish scene at the end of Rum Tum Tugger? Now you do!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I just re-watched the 1998 musical, and like, Macavity definitely dies during it.

Not sure how common this theory is but it holds up. Macavity isn't just touching two wires together to make a blackout and daring escape. He's zapping himself because he longs for death. The Jellicle Cult won't let him leave imprisonment, ever since they started using him as the movement's designated scapegoat for literally every crime -- from cheating at cards to crimes worthy of Scotland Yard -- even though they openly admit that he wasn't present at a single crime and left no evidence. The brainwashed Jellicles truly believe that Macavity escapes containment every night undetectably to do subversive acts against the cult, which the cult explains away its own failures with.

The prisoner finally hatches a plan to escape using a fake Old Deuteronomy costume. (Old Deuteronomy is not the leader but the cult spokesman, by the way; Munkustrap is clearly the cult leader since the cat orgy is for him. He's the recruiter, enforcer, and narrative-spinner for the Jellicles.)

The escapee gets beaten up by an outraged and fiercely threatening Munkustrap, then gets completely surrounded by the other cats, to whom he appears as a bloodied monster (due to the prison's poor conditions and their own delusion). Having exhausted all other options, desperate to end his misery and imprisonment, he elects to head for the electric wires.

e: Rum Tum Tugger must be the Tom Cruise of the cult.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Grizzabella also dies, of course, but as that video posted below points out, it's not arbitrary. They kill her off because she demonstrated a will to leave before, and is likely a danger to the cult's cohesion.

With Macavity being fake and all, there's no real threat against a Jellicle who leaves, besides ostracism. So that's their tool to make Grizz come back. The Jellices ostracize her until the sense of guilt and shame drives her mad, convinces her of having a monstrous appearance, and drains her of confidence to dance. She comes crawling back to the Jellicle Cult to make amends for her "mistake."

Cult policy is to use these moments as an opportunity to teach the others. Munkustrap prefers the carrot to the stick, always dangling the prize of the Heaviside Layer that "one cat ONLY" will get to see. Cats who go to the Heaviside Layer certainly die. But the prize of reincarnation is real, at least to the Jellicles. That's where Old Deuteronomy comes in, the teddy-bear-like cult spokesman and public-facing leader (in name only). For though he is not the true top of the chain, Old Deuteronomy still reaps rewards from his status in his decline. His philosophical musings are his purpose -- they keep the promise of reincarnation on everyone's mind, and the fear of death at bay -- he reassures them that their "moments of happiness" gain extra meaning in death from the next generation of reincarnates' experience.

Conveniently enough, by convincing the cats to unknowingly seek suicide via the Heavicide layer the cult can easily get rid of the problem cats, all the while convincing the cult that a beautiful act of grace and forgiveness has occurred that they can all aspire to get someday. With one fewer dissident cat, the cult finishes its compaction cycle and hardens itself.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 13, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I think it's cute

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
So nothing goes wrong on the Northern Mail
When Skimbleshanks is aboard.