Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I wonder how much they’d actually get for him under the circumstances

I think I heard 23m?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Elneny is fine. Won't lose the ball but won't do much with it. Plays a great sideways pass. Once savagely owned Alexis on Twitter.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's Emi Martinez, actually. Bellerin and Ozil are the next two.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

trem_two posted:

Pretty sure you just made that name up right now

And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you dastardly kids!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

It's like no one is at the wheel at Arsenal and everyone assumes someone else has it.

It is exactly that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dervyn posted:

It’s normal to try and clear out the deadwood.

Though in Arsenal’s case there won’t be any wood left at all.

I would be fine with refocusing around the women's team

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If Xhaka leaves (seems likely) they may actually let him buy someone in January.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Guendouzi would cover for Xhaka currently, yeah. I guess in theory we could get Rabiot on loan and then use the Xhaka money to buy a competent center back. But the Rabiot stuff very much sounds like agent talk to me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Homura posted:

Can't fix years of rot in a couple of windows, really need to burn it all down and start an actual rebuild instead of hoping that a few big names coming in will be a miracle cure.

This is true but that rebuild is easier if we have more money, so there's value in focusing somewhat on the short term and trying to get back up into the European places, or somehow winning the Europa League.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Remember James Wilson at Manchester United who was touted as the next great English striker, scored twice on his debut, and is now playing for loving Aberdeen?

Who was the Italian kid with the exact same career trajectory?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

brasstassels posted:

silly season
https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/1212833949283696640?s=19
https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/1212846956931944449?s=19
https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated/status/1212834873540534273?s=19

Spurs will not buy anyone, but lol that right back has been our biggest weakness for years and nothing is even being considered to fix that still

Are they just copy/pasting Arsenal targets?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The kid grew up in Ohio, that's like weapons grade America

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Please stop trolling me

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MLS operates under the principle that ifs and buts actually are candy and nuts, assuming they are consumed within the third uneven transfer window subsequent to the acquisition of the ifs and/or buts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Liverpool have signed Arsenal club doctor Gary O'Driscoll: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/01/15/arsenal-lose-club-doctor-gary-odriscoll-seals-move-liverpool/

Have fun with that, guys

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Are Arsenal seriously buying an injury prone left back to temporarily replace their massively injury prone and currently crocked left back?

Of course not. We're buying him to replace an injury-prone teenage winger, who was filling in for an injury prone wingback, who was in turn filling in for our massively injury prone and currently crocked left back.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

Remember when they signed a guy with a literal broken back lmao

I remember when Arsenal Legend Kim Kallstrom converted his penalty in the FA Cup semifinal!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Freddy Adu was 14, idiot.

Was he, though?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I used to check in on Freddy's career, but it's been a while. And omg the guy hasn't played since 2018 after being released by a USL team. It's really kind of amazing.

He couldn't cut it in the Finnish fourth division, no joke.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Post this on the NUFC reddit and watch them lose their minds, “Miggy” can do no wrong there

How does he rate on that one dude's insane player rating scale?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Almiron: 5.5 Like Schar, Almiron looked tired. He still put in a shift, but looked off pace. Without his speed and energy he does not offer much, specifically seen with his decreased involvement in the 2nd half. (2)

Almiron: 5.5 My man couldn’t stay onside. He’s loved because of his energy and effort he puts forth every game. Still running full pace down the side in the 94th minute, but he’s got to work on his decision making. Some poor passing, overextended dribbling and a little too much hope for fouls will start to create some major fan unrest. (2)

Almiron: 6.5 Poor first half, he lost the ball every time he touched it and calls were not going his way. In the 2nd he was the best player on the pitch. He covered for Krafth, held up play, connected a few times with Joelinton, and had a good chance at goal. (6)

Almiron: 4.5 (-1) Double teamed when in possession and had to drop back deep to cover and get involved. Couldn’t connect his passes or dribble with pace when there’s a lack of positive support.

Almiron B- (2). Heavily involved and great energy, he did lose the ball a couple of times. There was confusion on his position as well as where his teammates should be. Picking up the yellow in the first half probably didn’t help much either.

**Explanation of rating system**

I determine my ratings using a plus/minus system grading each significant positive or negative action of a player around the ball. The points can range from -5 for an atrocious own goal to +5 for an unstoppable goal. Generally, the majority of actions are between -1 and 1 point.

Since my ratings are involved around the ball, ratings are sometimes harsher for goal keepers and subs.

The reason I use this system is to get a better understanding of an individual player’s overall benefit to the game. By only rating significant actions, I come up with a score that represents the players true net contribution to the match.

Scale:

-5 F 1
-4 D 2
-3 D 3
-2 C 4
-1 C 4.5
0 C+ 5
1 B- 5.5
2 B- 5.5
3 B 6
4 B 6
5 B+ 6.5
6 B+ 6.5
7 A- 7
8 A- 7.5
9 A 8
10 A 8.5
11 A 9
12+ A+ 10

Nothing in this world more reliably makes me giggle

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sourdough posted:

Where are all th Arsenal transfer rumors, when will the replacements for Mustafi and Luiz be announced?

We have been very strongly linked with Layvin Kurzawa, an apparently awful left back for PSG who just so happens to be represented by Kia Joorabchian, close friend of both Raul Sanllehi and Edu. There have been some stories today linking us to a Ukrainian CB but it seems like agent talk. That's it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sourdough posted:

I saw the Kurzawa stuff and it seems very dumb, just keep playing Saka for now

It doesn't make sense from any perspective other than Raul doing a favor for his friend. We could even get him for free in the summer.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ceballos is a talented player but the dude kept doing like blind back heel passes that inevitably went straight to a defender, it got tiring fast.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sourdough posted:

I remember him looking better than that, though it's been awhile so may be misremembering. If he's fit, give him some minutes imo.

I'm pretty sure we're all remembering two games at most where he looked great.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I think Arteta demands anyone playing for Arsenal to put a shift in so even when Ceballos looked good he wasn't a workhorse. The eastern european CB Arsenal are linked with was a previous City shortlist target so may be something in it.

Reportedly it was Arteta who insisted City look into him so maybe the interest is real after all. Seems like an obviously necessary move.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bea Nanner posted:

Decent sources saying Arsenal are close to a Spanish cb playing in Brazil, Pablo Mari. He was part of the City loan merry-go-round for a while. Loan with option to buy.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11917325/pablo-mari-flamengo-centre-back-set-for-arsenal-medical

Here he is at the airport with Edu:

https://twitter.com/charles_watts/status/1221047945702838272

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Apparently Pablo Mari has flown back to Barzil without completing his transfer to Arsenal lol

https://twitter.com/gunnerblog/status/1221747936473886720

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I assume this means he did his medical and they’re just hashing out the transfer terms

Reporters in England are saying the above, that it was always planned for him to come over and do his medical and then go back. Flamengo is saying they agreed a permanent deal and then Arsenal tried to change it to a loan with an option to buy, so they had him return to Brazil. Tbh both sides are extremely believable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

Flamengo are saying Arsenal wanted to change the terms after the medical and the deal is off. Even if they saw something in the medical that gave them pause, this is peak Arsenal.

I kinda think all of this was planned, they just wanted him to get a medical done in advance so negotiations could go to the end of the window, and Flamengo are using it as an opportunity to look like they're putting up a fight over an important player.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

brasstassels posted:

isn't Saliba joining Arsenal in the summer? why bother with a 26 year old cb city shipped to brazil for <£2m?

Because if Saliba is good then that leaves us with at most two good center backs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

No, I don't think it's a stretch to believe a player City didn't want could still improve Arsenal's defense. Have you seen our defense?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

pik_d posted:

Would you take Otamendi, or Stones?

Probably yes but they're still bad

Absolutely I would

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This guy's gonna be jet lagged as gently caress

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bundy posted:

Getting caught napping in defence he should fit right in lol

This one's a stretch but I respect it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

E: gently caress, beaten like Arsenal

Pablo Mari to Arsenal is a done deal, folks:

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1222508885006848000

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

Ornstein said yesterday that there was no fee agreed and it wasn't going to happen because Shaktar didn't want to sell this window. I know there's a contingent of Arsenal fans who think he's full of poo poo now but I tend to still believe him when he reports something.

Because Arsenal fans are idiots who have no understanding of how journalism works and think moving from the BBC to The Athletic means Ornstein has to scrap all his sources and start from scratch. Really he just got promoted into a role that's far more broad than "guy who breaks Arsenal stories" so he does less Arsenal-specific work.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Big Dave has chimed in:

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1222561003839401984

I forget who it was but someone was saying they want Soares to provide cover at RB so AMN can "replace" Ceballos. I guess that makes sense? I think AMN has been doing pretty well this season and I would be perfectly fine with him at RB long-term but he's made it pretty clear he doesn't want that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Arsenal confirmed Cedric Soares today, loan until the end of the season. Probably going to be made permanent unless he completely flops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sourdough posted:

lol apparently he had a foot injury beginning of January, may not be fit for 3 weeks. Arsenal.

He's expected to be fit by the next game after Burnley, which he never would've participated in anyway.