Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm the guy still playing bloodborne in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Yes, more of this

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is he worth a vote?

He's definitely on the left of the party, super critical of Blair, was always solidly pro-leave which would be advantageous in appealing to the north (but no longer has to campaign on it so wouldn't alienate remainers). He's scrappier than Corbyn (who he always supported) and from Tyneside so hard to paint as a middle class London elite.

He has made some silly mistakes like posing with his son who dressed as Michael Jackson for a fancy dress party rather... enthusiastically, which are issues. I honestly think on balance there would be worse candidates for leader, at present we don't necessarily need a perfectly good person to take over, that was Corbyn, we need someone effective.

E: he's also has the correct take on why labour lost, I.e. by going de facto remain

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 1, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Something in his past about fiddling funds too.

Also don't know how he'd stand on stuff like LGBT issues and/or race.

Yeah, I mean he comes across to some extent as a fairly old school union boy with all the connotations that come with it, though I'd hope he sees the writing on the wall

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I do hope that Corbyn endorses a successor, if only to identify a clear continuity candidate and avoid exploitable left-vote splitting

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Well a quick peruse of twitter tells me that lavery is appalling all the right people so he has that going for him

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

The polls on leadership are loving pointless before the hustings, Corbyn was a 100-1 outlier at this point in 2015

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I think I'm going to go lavery if he stands with RLB as second preference, rayner for deputy

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

After watching just 40 seconds of a speech? Maybe wait until the leadership contest actually begins?

Nah I've done more research than that, but yeah it's obvs just an initial gut instinct that may be proven wrong

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Don't do this to me I turn 30 next week and I am not looking forward to it

Jose posted:

Don't bother learning to parry and just dodge a lot. It's how I beat them all

I'm good at parrying and extremely bad at dodging which is pretty funny because it means half the bosses are now trivial (I can beat Gascoigne in 30 secs flat) while the other half still kick my rear end (Paarl I still don't think I've ever beat without summoning help)

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 2, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

turning 30 is fine, you realise how dreadful people in their 20s are and you no longer have to care about all the stupid poo poo 20 somethings worry about, it's great

Otoh at 20 I could easily gently caress like 5 times in one night, approaching 30 I barely have the energy to manage once. This may be down to all the booze and takeaway and general neglect of the gym over the age, mind.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Wait jim jones was a maoist???

Yeah the people's temple (and Jonestown) was, superficially at least, based around a Christian-flavoured anti-capitalist ideology with some obvious influences from Maoism in particular. It attracted some good, well meaning people. Real shame the guy in charge was obviously cynical, exploitative, narcissistic, and increasingly unhinged, while cultivating a cult of personality. It couldn't have ended any other way with that setup, but many of those who died had genuinely gone to Guyana to build what they hoped would be a better society.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Invading Iran would be another Vietnam, quite possibly worse. There's a very real chance the Iranians win, especially if the Americans go in dumb and just assume they'll win through brute force. I don't relish the idea of another pointless bloodshed but if nothing else a clear military loss will make trump (and johnson if he jumps on the bandwagon, which he will) look weak, which is never a bad thing.

E: I'd be very surprised if the US actually was willing to risk the fallout (lol) of a first strike nuclear attack. It's completely unprecedented and they would make zero friends and a lot of enemies. That said, loving trump in charge of a decaying empire is the exact time that poo poo would happen if it's going to.

In other news, HIGNFY is hot garbage and I'm embarrassed that I ever used to laugh at their sneering bullshit

https://twitter.com/haveigotnews/status/1212686086767620096?s=19

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 3, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Weetman is currently furiously retweeting a bunch of 'actually it was good to blow up the Iranian general' takes, good to see the melts not even bothering to pretend anymore

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

E: The only response is terror attacks, isn’t it. It’s not like Iran has any capacity to mount a conventional attack on the US.

There's a certain dark part of me that would find it extremely funny if Iran pulled a troll move by retaliating via assassinating pence or some other high profile US figure, which tbqh they probably have a solid enough intelligence apparatus to pull off if they really wanted to

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

HJB posted:

I read it your way originally but quite clearly hundreds didn't so I second-guessed myself.

It felt very 'lol poverty how quaint' from people entirely out of touch with the reality of it, and after the labour holocaust joke I'm extremely done with giving them the benefit of the doubt. In any case, however it was intended it's in super bad taste.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

There's a legit non-zero chance Iran wins a war through attrition and while it would be awful it would also be extremely funny

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Wtf does 'crank' even mean

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

war crimes aren't crimes unless you lose the war, dumbasses

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Lawson is a very strange fellow who often has very good takes but then just as regularly spirals into centrist handwringing. He's swallowed the 'electability' kool-aid hard.

Though there is something in all this. It's easy to do that because there just isn't a potential candidate this time round that possesses Corbyn's quiet (almost anti-) charisma, honesty, and outsider status which really won it for him. We've now got a significantly leftier field than last time on average (a victory in itself!), but no obvious standout. RLB is good policy wise, but seems too quiet and unconvincing, Lavery is a great scrapper and broadly Correct but that blackface photo and the NUM financial stuff are pretty significant skeletons in the closet, Lewis is I think considerably less left wing than we think and would tack right, similar story for thornberry. The others are all clearly some flavour of tepid centrism or outright blue labour types. I really hope the hustings make things clearer.

Guavanaut posted:

mod challenge ThomasPaine to propose to Weets with one of thse

My dream, my nightmare

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 6, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

:siren: ThomasPaine an olive branch has been extended from high. :siren:

If you propose to Frances Weetman using the RokShok ring case or equivalent made out of lolly sticks and rubber bands over Twitter and post the tweet here by the end of the month then you can post all the galaxy brained tepid takes from your twittersphere crushes to your heart's content for a minimum of the year 2020.

However to make it interesting, if anyone else ITT beats you to it (again on Twitter, don't stalk people irl ffs) then they get to choose between a full ban on all weetakes plus a 1mo probe for you, ThomasPaine, for historical weetcrimes, or clemency plus tWeets being allowed back into the thread.

It's not just a matter of speed though, we're doing this Wacky Races style, the more elaborate/amusing your phone ring holder the better.

(Also don't be gross, y'all know how to fake propose over twitter with something you made out of pipe cleaners and sellotape in response to a tweet about the existence of a really bad product and still be classy and not harassy, right?)

Start your engines!

I read a book about Walter Benjamin and now I am no longer constrained by your bourgeois sandwich aesthetics.

Uh oh

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

He actually does, now that he’s no longer working with Jen, but the @shaun_jen one is shuttered and the current one is @shaun_vids:

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1205507043525832704

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1205509228217217024

Skull Shaun's a lovely and always correct boy

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Corbyn should stand again for maximum lol value

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Yeah that explains a lot that was confusing me. Who the heck is Shaun Lawson then?!

He's a genuinely thoughtful Twitter man from the UK but living in Uruguay. Was a proper vicious (as a Jewish guy) critic of the Riley/Oberman nexus. Occasionally trends very liberal despite flashes of genuine radicalism.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

It's basically a toxic masculinity thing - you might worry about getting into a fight in the pub car park, but how to avoid situations like the victims of this oval office is just not something you ever have to learn, because men are big and strong and only women have to worry about getting taken advantage of.

If there's a positive to take from this it might be that men become a little bit more aware of the world around them and realise that maybe you should make sure your mate's got home OK instead of just waving him off into the night - which might even encourage a bit more empathy with and support of female victims of rape.

Many years ago when I, a man, was 19 I was thrown out of opium in Edinburgh for being a drunk state, and because the people I was there with were in a loving nightclub I could obviously not get through to them. Long story short there was this middle aged bloke just sitting there in his expensive merc outside the club (in retrospect a classic sketchy character - all greasy slicked back hair, gold chains, and slightly too many shirt buttons undone), and while I'm standing outside working out what to do he leans out and offers to give me a ride. I was steaming and cold and briefly considered it like a total dumbass but thankfully just then one of my friends appeared looking for me then got the others and we moved on.

Now he might well have just been Scotland's sleaziest taxi driver, but the car was unmarked so I'm doubtful. And if not what the hell is this guy doing just idling in an expensive car outside nightclubs in the early hours offering lifts to random drunk men young enough to be his son? I occasionally remember this and as I've gotten older I've become increasingly convinced (and troubled) that I might have actually quite narrowly avoided being assaulted or worse.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 7, 2020

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

What's 'arrogant' about clothes? He's a dumbass but that's such a weird thing to pick up on.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Dabir posted:

he has his arse hanging out of his trousers

So do I

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

God drat, you're meant to start your videogaming career with mediocre entries so you have somewhere to work your way up to, not start with the highest bars possible

Not counting the mega drive my first videogame was a weird charity compilation for the ps1 that had broken sword, myst and... road rash??

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Come out ye Black and Tans, there's a parade for you my man
We regret to misinform you; it's been cancelled.

Why would you not?

My first videogames were when my da bought an Atari 800XL and two disk drives from a guy at a car boot, and it came with a box of the exact sort of software that you'd expect a guy selling an Atari and two disk drives at a car boot to have. I think there was Mr Do and Centipede and Gumball and text adventures a bunch others that I can barely remember and couldn't figure out for the life of me how to play because they were all on Verbatim floppy disks with handwritten labels and no manuals.

I guess the ps1 was the first console I had where I got really into videogames rather than just playing whatever the hell my dad bought for the mega drive he had rattling around the house. Like I enjoyed sonic if I was playing it but I'd not be asking for particular games for christmas or anything.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

this poo poo makes the leadup to the iraq war look like masterful political intrigue lmao

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Trump thought he could pull a ridiculous power move without consequences and got called out, this is exactly what he deserves and I have zero sympathy for him or anyone who picks up a gun in service of the country he leads.

This will be awful for Iran but it's nonetheless going to backfire massively on trump, so silver linings

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Saros posted:

I am less sure it will. If anything a few Americans + a lot of Iranians & Iraqi's will die and a tremendous amount of money will go to the MIC but unless Iran is prepared to escalate to state sponsored assassinations and terrorist attacks in the west or to really gently caress with the strait the most likely outcome is Donald loving trump gets a second term.

[E] The people pulling the levers in the states do not give even the smallest fucks about Dubai or anyone else in the region. Though I am legit surprised that this is happening because the Trump's appear to be massively owned by the Saudi's.

- I wouldn't put it past Iranian intelligence to pull some seriously ballsy moves, this is an existential threat not just for a state but an ideology

- This + other factors also means any land war will make Vietnam look like a picnic, and the Iranians have been waiting for this for decades. It would be bloody awful but they're not about to roll over like Saddam did, and they don't be beaten with air power alone (which is far from guaranteed). The US could legit get its rear end kicked unless they just nuked them, but if that happened then well we're well and truly through the eye of the needle.

- don't the gulf states have a fairly pally relationship with the US, particularly the UAE?

- other complicating factors: Israel + its neighbours, the other global powers response (esp China and Russia).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Saros posted:

Iran is a completely different story in terms of capability, terrain and willingness to fight than either of those countries. I'm not saying the US couldn't do it (they totally could) but they can't do it from a standing start or without losing a lot of planes and people in the process.

Yes but remember trump is actually insane

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

I love the English left, it's so cool and smart and aware

https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1214601112319352833?s=19

give over coolie no one cares because they're obviously not using it the same way, 'no surrender' isn't exactly a rare sentiment in politics the world over

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Trust me, people in Scotland care. "No Surrender" only means one thing up here and it's nothing the left want to be getting behind.

I lived in Scotland almost all my adult life and have a very different experience, but maybe you're right. I certainly can't imagine anyone I've met (bar possibly a few Celtic ultras) really not being able to have a bit of nuance here.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

BobbyThompson posted:

Now that you've finally got rid of the utter wankers that were mostly R. Guyovich and a bit Party Plane Jones.

I just want to say Hello.

I'm back.

I'm also old enough to know how to trigger wankers.

Funny that.

New year, so call me crazy.. let's play nice.

Lowtax is right.

A loving COMEDY WEBSITE.

Not a political avenue for your own failings in life and wish to hate others.

Peace.

(Ricky Gervais hates you)

the only thing triggering me is how loving boring you are for someone who thinks they're an epic troll

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ffs

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1216358707027759105?s=19

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it's possible some of them are just saying it without really thinking about it or aren't actually planning on doing it but that's still short sighted and foolish given that they will be pulled up on it.

this is what I'm hoping but god drat if I'm not disappointed

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tbf he's right

https://twitter.com/VnTa_/status/1216366528490287111?s=19

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1216372197767503875?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I thought it looked familiar and a quick google confirms that yes, that fight in the kebab house where the guy carries on eating as everyone kicks off happened about a ten minute walk from my house, and I've even ordered kebabs from the kebab house on the opposite side of the road from it

I need backstory to that fight. Also does the place do a good kebab?