Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilHawk posted:

Happy new year UKMT crew, may the 2020s be less full of Tories.

But please, don't discuss any plans you may have for that here. They'll be in the ground by their own devices soon enough, unless we get a wave of "fix them from the inside" centrists (which will be attempted, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vitamin P posted:

I cut out the rest of your post because I agreed with it but fair point.

I don't think focusing on brexit as the lead cause of problems for the next 5 years is a good idea because the government is going to use brexit as a morally defensible smokescreen for a ton of negative domestic changes too.

Sorry, "morally defensible"? "You wanted to leave the EU so we had to sell the NHS", "you wanted to leave the EU so we had to cut workers' rights", "you wanted to leave the EU so you had to lose your job" - these aren't moral. They aren't even defences.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Surveys over the past few years have shown Leavers consider a massive contraction of the economy (including them losing their jobs) and even food rationing as acceptable prices to pay for Brexit, so you can be sure as poo poo the Tories will use it as their excuse to shock therapy the gently caress out of the entire economy and the press will be full of stories about plucky Brits making do and mending to help GLORIOUS BRITANE.

The Leavers saying that were in no small part saying it because they thought showing the slightest lack of commitment to Sparkle Motion Brexit might lead to it being taken away from them. All else is leopards eating people's faces. Yes, there will always be the hardcore psychopaths saying "my ten year old girl died of diabetes when the insulin stopped coming, but it was worth it to leave the EU". But for every one of those people there'll be ten more who will privately admit their mistake in the voting booth, even though they'd never admit it in public.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mehall posted:

Lol, as if they won't draft tubbos anyway.

I already tweeted about this -

https://twitter.com/mehall/status/1213041045019275264?s=19

No answer from the first minister, shameful.

Not as shameful as the last opinion expressed by an SNP leader on the draft. She probably thinks you're trapping her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

baka kaba posted:

... hey! that's this one!!

just thought of a supermarket with the international date line running right down the middle - imagine the reductions deals

Or just read Puckoon instead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

How many Lords Spiritual are there anyway?

26, all CofE bishops.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

jaete posted:

now now, that's unfair towards jess phillips

she could probably assassinate herself just fine

If Jess Phillips put a shotgun in her mouth and pulled the trigger I would still expect her to miss. Or she would have failed to load it, having expected someone else to do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jose posted:

i just don't see MPs voting themselves out of a job

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1214131878170628098

They're not voting themselves out of a job. The Tories will be voting Labour MPs out of a job. Sure, a few Tory seats will go as well, but either they'll be members who plan to stand down after the current parliament or they'll be promised parachutes into the seats of others who are.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't think "Why don't British people have as good an attitude towards education as the Africans do?" is exactly a major problem. What am I not seeing here?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doccykins posted:

he doesnt wear a suit therefore is THE WORST according to all the journalists who have to wear a tie to the office for no reason other than their boss says so

Not to get all decorum about it, but Cummings is the living incarnation of contempt and disrespect for everyone around him. If he weren't the Prime Minister he'd have been told to shape up or ship out long since.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

imo part of the reason that response in 2017, that our military adventures were causing these attacks and making us less safe, worked so much was its kinda a rare left nationalist argument. its not in the national interest or that of our citizens to keep getting involved in these struggles abroad.

There's a difference between nationalism and the national interest. In fact they're usually diametric opposites.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

feedmegin posted:

You realise the US has the draft. I had to sign up for it when I moved there. Volunteering to pick up a gun, sure, but that's not necessarily what's going to happen.

America has been at war for most of my lifetime, but it hasn't used the draft in my lifetime. It isn't going to happen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Now I'm wondering what happened to the stan empire and who came up with the name despite them not having a language in common that I'm aware of.

It was someone who stanned heavily for Islam, I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Nick Ferrari is the name of like, a fabulous otter who makes a small fortune as a coverboy for men's health. Not that guy.

He should make his living stealing sports cars.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bump_fn posted:

100% they sent him there hoping he'd die

like will was a sirch and rescue pilot not sent off to afghanistan

I know it's considered cool to hate the Royals in this thread, but Harry literally demanded to be deployed with his regiment on active service because he wasn't going to exploit his privilege to sit on his arse while everyone else went. It's not an uncommon opinion that it's a shame he's the younger son.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We continue trading as normal with the EU on the 1st of February. There will be absolutely no material difference in anyone's lives, and my god Brexiteers are never going to shut up about that.

Assuming the Withdrawal Agreement passes and is accepted.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

While it's possible all of the new Tory MPs elected last month will all pull off their masks to reveal they are in fact clones of Jolyon Maugham, and the Fubpee Revolution happens without a shot being fired, it's pretty much certain it's going to pass, and the EU have already agreed to it because they just want loving rid of us.

I would not put it past Boris to not schedule it for vote and drop us out by default.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rarity posted:

I like the bit where they acknowledge that capitalists are parasites

At least they're acknowledging that if you take all the money out of the economy it dies, and maybe they should only siphon enough that it can still remain healthy. It's the sudden realisation that even if they could employ enough armed guards to avoid being torn to pieces by a mob, they still wouldn't be able to spend their money on anything because all the people who do the actual work would be dead, but still.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

~inspirational~

I thought that quote was made to Thatcher, not by her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

You should watch Firefly it's pretty good

Firefly is really loving terrible and the poster child for cultural co-option.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

If someone was to actually be a "serious" centrist they would understand that constantly moving right isn't actually centrist at all, and would also try to move left. I've never seen a "serious centrist" like that but I'm open to being surprised.

There's two reasons for that. First, centrism moves away from the opposition and towards the establishment, with the idea that the opposition is a bit too anti-establishment to win. Centrists aren't going to move left until a left wing regime takes power for a long time.

Second, there are no right wing centrists because right wingers can only keep moving right. All centrists became centrists by moving right.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Tommy used to work on the docks, union's been on strike
Which is wrong at a time while negotiations are ongoing

I think you're misunderstanding the lyrics. Tommy used to work on the docks, but no longer does so because the union went on strike and they were all laid off. Tommy is, in fact, a comrade.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

I admit I was resigned to the left splitting, but I was not anticipating the argument "the left splitting is good, actually, and you should do that rather than compromise".

The left isn't splitting. It's scraping off the right wing barnacles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think 6 is the trap they caught Corbyn with.

It wasn't a trap as much as it was Israel essentially demanding immunity to criticism, particularly regarding its own crimes against humanity, and Corbyn saying "How is that ever acceptable?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

brian posted:

i don't think monotony said anything remotely objectionable, you can move to the right from kinnock and still be left of major/howard/hague, if you put it in the context of Blair already being a tory, then he did triangulate left by joining and overtaking the party, does not seem particularly mad nor ronyaesque

which is not to say it is a particularly valuable insight either

No, he didn't. Blair dragged Labour right, Labour did not drag him left.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

So how DO you survive a firebombing if you can't stop one from happening?

Because that turned out to be surprisingly insightful a metaphor.

That depends on whether you aspire to be the Nazi Party or Marinus van der Lubbe, really.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

crispix posted:

conservative thinker is just a euphemism for a racist surely :/

It's an oxymoron.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

tbh I'm assuming they've phrased their demands to be outwardly reasonable, so just accept it and move on

The Jewish Board of Deputies are literally demanding to be the sole arbiter of what constitutes anti-Semitism in the Labour Party and to have final powers of discipline. That means anyone who criticises Israel in any way, for instance by suggesting Palestinians have a right to live (adding "in Israel" is optional), will be ejected from the Party. And that's before you even consider the implications of giving the legal right to effectively dissolve the Labour Party at will to an external organisation which to a man votes Conservative.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

If it's independent then you're giving up the right to decide whether obvious cunts sit on it or not to a third party unaccountable to to NEC or the membership.

Unless you give both the BoD and the NEC veto power in which case nobody sits on the committee.

And the NEC is then condemned for anti-Semitism because it refused to address the problem in an acceptable way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

Just looked out the window and it looked like the street got hit by a Jose-level storm.

Tree blew down just across the road from me and nearly went through someone's house. And by "blown down" I mean the trunk snapped about two feet above the ground.

It's a bit windy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

My favourite part of Harry Potter lore is wizards used to poo themselves in their robes, and magic away the piss and poo poo.

The Lib Dems are still working on the magic part.

People have already summed up the Pratchett sales thing better than I could, because they had links. I'm the wrong person to ask anyway.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

And getting into doomed romances with those predators :allears:

Which is why the Antifa analogy works far better. Spike is literally a basement dwelling incel dweeb who signed up with evil to get a sense of self-worth (and girls).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

FWIW I also wouldn't go to the moon if you offered. Same reason I don't go anywhere else either. Don't really see the appeal in tourism.

No atmosphere?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

The coolest person in any Airport is one of the baggage handlers, no exceptions.

Yeah, they're so laid back at Heathrow that two years running they failed to transfer my case to my connecting flight to Düsseldorf. The first time it didn't arrive until the next day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

So do Brexiteers think that Abdul in the flat down the road is just going to turn to dust Avengers style on the 31st?

No. They just think that without the EU telling us no, Paki-bashing will be back on the menu on February 1st.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Labour muslim network has asked leadership candidates to sign up to 10 pledges. RLB has signed up and queue several hundred comments going on about muslim grooming gangs.

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1217421215415111680?s=20

Am I right in remembering that tory party candidates in the General Election were banned from signing up to any pledges by anyone?
That is the approach labour leadership candidates should have taken when the BoD presented their list. Labour is an anti-racist, pro-equality party and that should be sufficient.

Except the Tories banned candidates from signing pledges because they're a pro-racist, anti-equality party, and that's sufficient for them to avoid scrutiny. This is not a good faith argument. Sign or refuse to sign, Labour will be attacked.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

First they came for the social media managers, and I did not speak out because I was not a social media manager.

Then they came for HR, and nobody spoke out because gently caress those assholes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Private Speech posted:

The weirdest thing about Singapore to me is that I find it consistently cheaper than the UK, even though cost of living indexes say otherwise.

You can have a good restaurant dinner for 20 SGD (~10 pounds), MRT (underground) costs between 0.8 to 1.9 SGD (40p to about a pound) depending on the length of the trip, decent, if cheap, hotel can be found for ~60-80 SGD a night for a double room (30-45 pounds) and there's lots of cheap grocery stores (plus you can pop over to JB if you really want to be cheap), even rent isn't bad by Oxford/Edinburgh/London/Copenhagen standards if you don't mind staying in a cheap place, it's like 500-600 pounds a month for a studio.

Could be that a lot of that is self-reported by expats who live the absolute most expensive lives. Though the cars are very expensive, that's definitely true.

£600pcm for a studio is more expensive than Aberdeen, which is one of the most expensive places to rent in the UK. I think only London and the wankier parts of Edinburgh cost more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Mine looks like a wreck and I didn't even fit an rear end hose.

We're talking about the bathrooms, not your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

As has been posted several times, the selections for Starmer's team is a pretty transparent attempt to try and appease everyone, including the left - e.g. hiring the person who literally ran Corbyn's leadership campaign. I guess I just don't find that as terrifying/awful a tactic as some here do.

If he's hiring right wing Labourites to appease the right, then he's planning to appease the right by moving right. If he's hiring Corbynites to appease the left, then he isn't the left in the first place.