Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pick posted:

2016: Trolls (*weak year iirc)

Saying that Trolls are better than Zootopia, Moana, Red Turtle and Your Name is certainly an...opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I'd put Tangled over all of them though

Tangled is a movie that never aspires to be more than "not bad".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

The opening song is one of the best. I'd put it along revival era poo poo like Belle's "I hate this hick town" opener.

More to the point, it finally nailed the "like a rock/pop song, but catchy and Disney" poo poo they'd been aiming for.

I didn't even remember that there was an opening song.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Naw, Tangled is great

Ok, you do you. Tangled is not a hill I care enough about to die on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

I doubt it, he's kind of a punchline for 'Weird 80s pop culture', and from all accounts it seems like his creator was kind of a nutball. Looks like they did consider rebooting ALF in 2018 but decide to cancel it.

Plus the guy who operates the ALF puppet is loving insane and no one will work with him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda funny given even earlier stuff is surprisingly way less racist than the usual baseline for pulp; though there's quirky tribes and jungle legends and in earlier stories gimmicky weirdos living in hidden palaces, for the most part they're actually treated by both the story and the Phantom as human beings, and Bangalla has actual modern cities and a functioning government.

I mean, he's still a white dude who's venerated by black people and fights the yellow peril.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I know next to nothing about The Phantom, but it seems like making The Phantom a black guy would make him a lot less problematic. If they ever try another reboot they should try that.

But then you're just making a Black Panther rip-off. I honestly think that some IPs can't be salvaged.

Cockmaster posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/10/21216864/robin-hood-remake-disney-plus-exclusive-animation-cgi

It was bound to happen, and now it is: Disney is now doing the "CGI remake" thing with Robin Hood. Except that this one is going to be a Disney+ exclusive.

What do you suppose the odds are that this will end up not sucking?

Yes, I'm sure that this time they will succeed in making a good Robin Hood movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ungulateman posted:

treasure planet bombed because it was expensive to make and so disney didn't bother advertising it and let it die, paving the way to killing off all future 2d animation forever, as part of their plan

It's also not that good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just watched the live remake of Aladdin and it's amazing how a movie can be two hours long and yet have so little happening in it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah there’s a few things I enjoyed like Will Smiths take on the genie but overall it was a bit of a slog.

Honestly, the only Genie gag I sort of liked was him rewinding the movie in order to realize that Aladdin tricked him. Speaking of, it's just so weird why they changed that. In the animated movie it was a genuinely clever joke while it's so convoluted that it almost doesn't make sense in the live remake.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

:nws:https://www.oglaf.com/dimorphism/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Between Disney being capitalist bastards of the highest order, Disney remakes starting okay and deteriorating into abysmalness devoid of artistic merit, and the main actress having bad politics (although one wonders if she was pressured into doing so) this feels like a victory all around.

I wouldn't blame chinese actors for being cautious after what happened with Fan Bingbing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just saying none of this is unique to China, a famous figure got singled out for something everyone does because she stepped out of line and didn't have the right friends

The government being able to disappear a famous person and then make her publicly apologize for unpatriotic behavior is pretty unique for China.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

I'd be interested in everyones top 5

Lion King
Ghost in the Shell
A Nightmare Before Christmas
Princess Mononoke
Persepolis

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

And the animation is the best part of either terminator movie! C'mahn

Kinda harsh against T2 considering there's like five minutes of cgi-animation in that movie.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Basically if even this makes bank, Disney will never ever stop making these.
By this point it would take a nuclear holocaust to stop these movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Apparently there was enough demand for more of the Croods for the movie to get a sequel.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's kind of a thing in Sandman where one character (who is a mystical place, of course) talks about how explorers and mappers meant there's fewer and fewer places for fantastical otherworlds to be located.

it was maybe the only good theme in the first two Pirates of the Caribbean sequels. The world's getting mapped and all the weird and magical creatures keeps being pushed farther towards oblivion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Love, Death and Robots 2 is coming to Netflix. I thought the last one was a mixed bag. The Witness had legit amazing animation but stuff like the russian army fighting werewolves was extremely uninspired.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

Stuff like Wish Dragon (Aladdin but in China!)

Uh...The original story is set in China.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife and I got back into our Disney rewatch and rewatched Pocahontas which is somehow much worse than I remember. A few random thoughts on it:

-- It's like if Gaston made a movie about himself
-- The backgrounds are very pretty, but the more realistic characters are atrocious. There is something so off about Pocahontas's running cycle
-- Jim Cummings is very distracting
-- It's really sad how Disney did straight up forget how to make musicals for a bit after Ashman. Even with Lion King, the songs feel less embedded with the film, but in Pocahontas it feels like there are at least two aborted songs and it's really weird.
--Savages is the only good song, but it's just a poor ripoff of "Kill the Beast"

Also, Christian Bale has been in two movies about Pocahontas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bowser was originally supposed to be an ox:

Which make question if Shigeru Miyamoto actually know what an ox looks like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ccs posted:

All the Junji Ito anime series so far have not really held up. B

I like it. Anthologies as a rule always have some bad episodes, but when Tales of the Macabre hits it really hits. Layers of Fear for example was amazingly hosed up. I also liked the ending of The Thing that Drifted Ashore: humans became parasites inside a giant fish thing and it hosed them up. That's it, end of story, no morale.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll be honest, if she'd handled the situation better I'd be on Tomie's side in that situation because the main character WAS being a complete creep, and then exposed a sensitive medical situation purely out of spite for her rightfully putting a stop to it. She overreacted but had good reasons for being angry, whatever the situation was with the nesting heads.

The ending was pretty hilarious though:After witnessing Tomie being decapitated and watching a new head starting to grow out of the body she just shrugs her shoulders and decides to clean up the apartment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Have to say that it's weird that they decided to make Soichi the mascot for the anthology and not Tomie who is arguably better known and more interesting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm assuming, that she was such a massive shut-in that nobody ever bothered to look. Alternatively concealment magic, since a kraken wizard did it. From the trailer, it sounds like that mermaid can see right through that and assumes that eventually the rest will too.

But why are they going to a human school?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another movie where the female character is not the main character despite being the most competent one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NieR Occomata posted:

Are you somehow surprised that a movie titled Super Mario Bros stars Mario?

Like…what? Is this a serious complaint? That they’d decide to have quite literally the most famous video game character of all time as the star of a movie that has his name in the title? Were you literally born yesterday?

It kinda helps build the narrative that even though a woman might be more competent, her role is still to support the less competent man that gets all the spotlight.

Like, according the trailers Peach is already more than capable to handle Bowser, why do they need Mario?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Speaking of the little mermaid, this poo poo sucks so loving bad:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1656012256428138497

At least there's no blackfish?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

This looks real good, I’m not a Turtles guy but it really has a style and sense of humor all its own

And also quoting Ice-T.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched to animated movies:
Nimona
Nice to see a movie where the morale is that sometimes it's not enough to change the person on top but maybe the entire system is rotten. I also liked how the flashback raised even more questions It made Nimona's origin even more confusing. She's definitely not human, only pretending to be sometimes. But the movie doesn't say exactly what she is. Did Gloreth really vanquish Nimona as an adult or is it all just an exaggeration of what happened when they were kids?

The Fantastic Mr. Fox
I really liked how the movie really leaned into the weirdness of the situation. Animals behaving like humans is weird? Let's make it weirder by giving them jobs and establish that there is animals that behave like animals. Talking animals is weird? Let's make it weirder by establishing that humans and animals can understand each other. The puppets are weird? Let's make it weirder by giving them fur that ripples unnaturally and focus on their weird facial expression.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, usually real people are assholes for good reasons, or for bad reasons (even just "I enjoy the noise puppies make when I kick them"), absolutely no reason at all is quite rare.

Yeah, usually people are assholes because of things like abuse, socioeconomic reasons and so on. Teaching people that assholes are assholes for no reason is removing the incentive for trying to make the rear end in a top hat quit being assholes,

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Data Graham posted:

True, but it also means you don't get to teach the lesson that "some people are irredeemable and you need to understand that it's okay to want to have nothing to do with them" rather than "if you don't get along with someone, it's up to you to find the good in them and change them".

That was one of the key takeaways of one of the early MLP episodes that made me take note of that show's didactics.

But "it's not your job to reform an rear end in a top hat" is a completely different message from "some are assholes for no reason". One is perfectly valid and the other is perfectly stupid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 13, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. It's a sequel to a movie nobody even remembers that was a spin-off from a franchise that people stopped caring about decades ago and yet it was shockingly good. Everyone could've just phoned it in and no one would blame them but instead they decided that "gently caress it, why not make it look good, have a decent script and make the voice actors put in some effort?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Also I will go to bat for Shrek 4. It's not the best of the four by any means, but compare that to the absolute stinker turd that was Shrek 3, Shrek 4 does a lot of stuff that feels like they actually tried again. Shrek 3 is one of the most embarrassing animated things I've ever seen

Even so, that movie was over a decade ago. Nobody cares about Shrek anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Super Mario Bros and Across the Spider-Verse. SMB is just so overwhelmingly fine with everyone (except Jack Black) is doing their absolute minimum of work they have to. Also, the directors thinks that slow-mo is super hilarious. Meanwhile Across the Spider-Verse is a cornucopia of creativity, every scene is so vibrant and pushed the boundaries for what an animted movie can be.