Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not sure I've seen it but has there ever been like a steam key giveaway thread? I've got a few extra keys laying around and I'm not really sure what to do with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks! I never venture in there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You absolutely do not need to read any/all of this, but I'd recommend the first two pre-Phantom Pain sections to understand the immediate past.

Thank you so much for this. Highly entertaining.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Seconding this. Chip and Ironicus love the MGS series and will absolutely call it on stupid bullshit. It's the way I've "played" MGS since 2.

Yeah I’m half way through it and it’s pretty good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Blasphemous is getting some free DLC on August 4th, and it looks to be massive in scope. It adds new monsters, bosses, sidequests, story, areas, you name it, while also revamping the map and combat to make it more palatable. Plus it will have a Spanish VO because why not. It's basically looking to be Blasphemous 2.0.

This ain’t the switch thread but the game is half off on the eshop and people say it runs great on there as well if someone was looking for a portable version!

Gonna add it to my steam wishlist as well though because the game looks great

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Samuringa posted:

Star Wars: The Old Republic is on Steam now

ngl I'll probably give it a try because I completely forgot this game existed and its not like I have to worry about a time sink right now

Oh nice! The game is actually pretty good and there are still some goons playing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897613

Check it out!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

If you had a game company and wanted to do something based on an existing property (book, tv, film etc), any genre, what's an underused property? Money no object.

Give me a good Star Trek game.

Thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

Just a general question to people that have moved from 1080p to 1440p. Did you notice a significant difference? I have a 1080ti, but will most likely be moving to a 3080ti when they come out, so I do (or will) have decent hardware.
I do have a 1080p 144Hz monitor, and don't want to sacrifice fps for res, as I think the former is better, as I've read I'll take a fps hit going top 1440, but not sure of how much of one.

I was going to ask in the Monitor or GPU thread, but wanted to get general gamers answers here instead.

VVV Thank you much for that! VVV

I have a 1080ti and I’m kinda regretting getting my 4K monitor lol and I’m thinking about going down to a 1440p monitor because games run so much better at 1440p.

Maybe getting a 3080 when they come out will help some but 1440p still looks great to me

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stokes posted:

Last 4 squares. No fair.

I can't stop playing this, help.

Wait what game is this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stokes posted:

It's DemonCrawl. And yeah now that my mind isn't fried from staying up too late to get one more run in I can see that it's not a 50/50. I think I was too focused on the one shot kill curse.

Thanks! I added it to my wishlist.

I also saw they have it on their roadmap for switch and iOS! Looks like a lot of fun

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I died before I could test it, sorry.

Have this as my apology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmTQdmkS8Xo

Jesus lol.

Love this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SSD's help with literally everything though.

Loading windows is incredibly fast.

Opening chrome.

Any applications load way faster.

Yeah taken one a time it might not seem like much but when you add things up over time the SSD is so much faster.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I really don't intend this to sound like a :smuggo: thing and will readily concede that every OS has its weaknesses, but a year or two back when EOL was announced for Win7 I finally made the jump to Linux and basically got the sort of performance boost people describe with SSD's. Then when I put Linux Mint on an SSD I basically noticed no difference because it was already taking ~10 seconds to load off an HDD :v:

OK well that sure explains a lot!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I'm not in favor. This is the Steam thread. People actually talk mostly about Steam stuff than general PC stuff. Other storefronts have their own threads too like GOG's.

Morter posted:

I think it's better to keep it the Steam thread, since that's the basis of most release news and also gift giveaways. I'm sure plenty of general PC chatter/advice goes on in other threads, too. It's not terrible, but the focus of this thread is based on Steam.

I absolutely agree.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

don't HZD and Death Stranding run on the same engine?

Yeah they do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orv posted:

What doesn't suck is this update about the mouse-driven UI for Dwarf Fortress' steam version.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/975370/view/4639224265623959693

I never in a million years thought I’d see DF on steam.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Steam is now offering the EA Play subscription at $30 a year or $5 a month. I may pull the trigger but I need to read more about what it gives you.

Oh poo poo I might do this for the Sims 4 alone for my S/O.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

I think you get a 10% discount on the $500 worth of DLC available...

Pffft she gets the base game and she’s gonna like it!

I’d have to see how much she likes the 4 before getting any of that DLC that’s for sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Wasteland 3 first impressions: There's a part in the tutorial where you can instakill you entire party by attacking an enemy thus rendering the half an hour you spent on character creation useless as nothing is saved between completing character creation and making that fateful attack five minutes into the turorial.

Sorry I laughed but LOL.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Is it the enemy where the game literally tells you "We can't stress enough how much this enemy will gently caress you up if you try to attack it"?

lol even better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kanfy posted:

The very cool lightweight roguelike Golden Krone Hotel got a major update today despite earlier statements of it no longer being updated while also being 70% off at the moment, I can recommend it for anyone looking for a roguelike that's easy to pick up while still rewarding playing smart.

Nice this looks pretty nifty for $2.99.

Thanks for the heads up!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

Nvidia has finally unveiled its new GPUs. It's perhaps not super pertinent to the thread, but it looks like a pretty big leap in many areas and their super big 3090 lets you play at 8K 60FPS.

The 3080 is a huge jump over the 1080 for real.

Here is the DF look at it

https://youtu.be/cWD01yUQdVA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I mean you're probably gonna get your hands on a real cheap 1080 at the very least.

Tbh I’d be on the lookout for a 2080.

The 1080 is still a good card but it’s a little long in the tooth and DLSS is pretty sweet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orv posted:

Please do go on.

Yeah I’m curious now...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Holy poo poo, I've been out of the PC hardware game for too long. I thought 100GB SDDs were still up at the £100 mark.

Lol I got a 240gig for $24.99 the other day for my secondary PC. They are dirt cheap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s insane. I have more storage in SSDs than I ever did on platter drives. I can’t even remember the last time I bought a platter drive on its own- I have a few as external data drives but they’re all ones I salvaged new/like new out of things I was upgrading.

I literally have a stack of platter laptop drives from people I’ve helped upgrade to an SSD and its like a night and day difference for them.

A $50 upgrade from a 500gig platter to SSD is great and a no brainer for most systems.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

I don't think the H77MA-G43 supports PCIe/NVMe booting, searching for info just turned up people trying to use weird BIOS mods to get it to work

I'd just get a SATA drive like the MX500 in your case

Yeah I’d just go for a SATA drive

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

blue squares posted:

I’ll be building my new PC this weekend. What’s a good game that’s preferably not full price that will be the best way to see how good my graphics can be?

3dmark Time Spy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Witcher 3 or Watch dogs IMO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Cheers for looking injury that for me. I'll get that instead.

I'm still blown away by being able to get 1TB SSD.

If it wasn't for the hassle of reinstalling windows (and my rig being my home work machine at the moment due to covid) I'd replace that 250GB one too.

Although now I'm thinking I'm so out of touch with this poo poo that there's probably a one click windows 10 option to clone your full windows install onto another hard drive and switch to it seamlessly.

You could just clone the drive and not deal with it :shrug:

Its just a drop in replacement at that point and the only thing it takes is maybe an hour to copy everything over.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

My nth spindrive is making clicking noises now,

I mean if its doing that it is as good as dead right now tbh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mobile Eve is really fuckin good FWIW. They took out almost all the bullshit and streamlined it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

They took the book out of the bundle when they were told about it. It's absolutely an over reaction.

Sorry that’s unacceptable! I am going still be angry and do absolutely no research to see if they actually made changes to correct the issue!

Anyway! I think this bundle looks pretty good I haven’t subscribed to humble before but for $12.99 it seems like a solid deal every month?

Forager seems like a lot of fun from what I saw of it when I looked it up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Forager is fun, I went into it without having any idea how it works (started playing after the Nuclear update) and enjoyed it for a couple dozen hours or so. It can get very addictive to optimize stuff.

Just know that the game isn't good at giving you directions and there's a bunch of system you might not become aware of unless you go look them up on a wiki or something. I didn't know about the void portals or summoning bosses until I'd literally done everything else, and it turns out those can give you items that are necessary for later tiers of upgrades that I was stuck on.

Oh, it also has performance problems that worsen over time, so you might have to restart it at regular intervals or suffer insane slowdown of everything and the game logic going loopy. One of the main mechanics is set up automated resource gathering systems, and those will chug along every second, and once slowdown is introduced it messes with the game's timing so automatic pickups no longer work correctly and power plants stop giving boost benefits.

Awesome! I got the bundle so I'm gonna install the game tonight and have a go at it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK there is no way to see your wishlist in the iOS app.

It’s hilariously bad.

It works but it’s not pretty.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Go to "Profile" under "You and Friends" in the menu, scroll all the way down to the bottom and it says in small print "View All Recently Played | Wishlist | Reviews"

It's there, and not that hard to get to once you know where it is, but every time I want to find it on iOS it takes me a few minutes of poking around to remember where it is. And its super dumb that it is not just right up front somewhere because I buy a ton of stuff on PC based on me checking my wishlist every so often and seeing what is on sale.

Haha thank you for this. I legit spent 10 min looking before I made that post and I actually checked that second I just didn’t scroll all the way to the bottom of that page because well... why tf would it be there ?

Now I know though!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m downloading alpha protocol again.

drat it’s a good game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

It's Hammer. Hammer is one of the fastest, most mobile weapons and fantastic for solo play.

It’s pretty awesome that legit everyone said something different lol.

I really need to dig into this game more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My problem with MHW is that it definitely has a bit of a learning curve and I’m terrible at sticking with games for a long period of time. I get good, then some new game comes out and distracts me, I don’t play it for a while, and when I go back I’m terrible at it again.

Oh I feel you. There are so many games I want to go back and play but I’ve forgotten so much.

You aren’t alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MZ posted:

With the Gamepass price increasing next week, is the trick to getting a cheap long subscription with Xbox live still work?

Considering taking advantage of this if it's still possible.

Yeah someone in the xbox thread did it earlier this week and it still works.