Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

We need a 'goons bought these games' site we can plug our steam apis into :v:

Although I guess that still doesn't help with finding hidden gems, since it'll probably still skew massively to the same popular titles.

I've been having an awful time on youtube trying to find even best of 2020 lists that aren't like DOOM CYBERPUNK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ulio posted:

Playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 pro, amazing game but 30 FPS is absolutely disgusting. Eachtime I go from PC back to PS4, I literally think the game is bugged. I hope they release more of their exclusives on PC down the line since PS5 seems so hard to find.

If it helps, it looks fantabulous on ps5, so it is a worthy upgrade

And I'm with you on the framez, I bought hyrule warriors 2 and I can't even play it. I'm too ashamed to admit it in the thread because I loved HW1 so much

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

So is Dungeon of the Endless :v:

mods

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ZearothK posted:

Torment definitely has less combat than the Baldur's Gate games, but it is still has a bunch of filler encounters and a few dedicated dungeons. That said, it is the closest game to what I'd say is the ideal proportion of combat to narrative in the WRPG genre.

Plenty of people find that level of dialogue insufferable too, I don't think there's some kind of magic peanut butter to chocolate magic ratio that fits everyone. There's a wide spectrum of rpgs ranging from Diablo to Disco, and that's good.

Narrative dissonance is a different issue, but generally a universally funny one if you look too closely at any game with violence as a means of problem solving alongside heavy dialogue.

(walking around coated in blood in dragon age origins being one of the funnier on the nose accidental nods to this)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Making my way through Halo. It's a nice historical trip into early console FPS, but...

...please tell me The Library was the worst of it; please tell me I don't have to suffer through any more levels like that...

This is legitimately adorable

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

River City Girls y/n?

(for that matter RCU, but I'm a bit more curious about RCG)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Since it was mentioned recently in the thread: the Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr game is on sale at the moment, 75% off (and they have a bundle with all the dlc and such). I'm in a top-down ARPG mood so I was planning on picking this up since it was recommended and looks unique, but I wasn't sure since I haven't heard much else and it seemed a bit mixed for initial reviews. Any more impressions on this?

It's extremely ok

Play the psychic or the robot pet class, both have way more going on with skills/minion customization than the dumb thug or sniper

Great controller support if that's your jam, I'd chill out with it on couch and tv now and then

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

explosivo posted:

Pretty much all of the Vermintide DLC is rated poorly, and almost all the reviews are complaints about Fatshark charging money for extra content. Some of them are expensive, it's an easier pill to swallow when the stuff is on sale to pay $5 for a map pack with two new maps instead of $10, but I don't think I've ever seen DLC for a game rated as poorly as this one.

Vermintide fans are loving weird man

It's like ground zero for 6500 hours played, negative review, eight page dissertation on how Fatshark are incompetent moron devs

My experience has been coming back to it multiple times with friends and having fun :shrug:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Orv posted:

God I really hope it's better than Deathwing.

Warhammer games are very cursed

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Deathwatch, or, how to make a ten foot tall half-ton murder machine feel like an extra thin skinned balloon armed with styrofoam blades and hand cannons firing packing peanuts

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Yeah, exactly like that except not very good

For anyone wondering, we're being kind

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ahhh, now there's the actual murder machine

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really hope Microsoft unfucks the technical side of game pass one day because it’s a really good value but my god the store is a mess and I still haven’t been able to fully uninstall Flight Sim.

It took me significant surgery to delete 40-50gb of wasted space from their garbo store after an uninstall

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

less high school students yammering at each other, more killing or enslaving demons. :thumbsup:

Ulio posted:

Same, I remember when I posted about Persona 5 which is my first Atlus game, I posted in the Persona the thread about my complaints. Everyone was like ya just play the SMT games. I loved the combat system in persona and the demon minmax. The social part is fun but I just wanted to fight and combine demons to create the ultimate abomination. Been waiting for this remaster to get into SMT, was going to get it on PS4 but now will just get the Steam ver.

This is really funny to me because Persona 4 was the first one I got into and I found that... I really enjoyed the stupid social minigame and really disliked demon pokemon :v:

I also bounced off of Nocturne and some of the other mobile games for a similar reason

I think my overall completion rate for SMT games in general is like 0/however many I've played though, which ain't great. Despite really enjoying the presentation and storylines in P3 4 and 5, I didn't finish any of them.

And yet I plowed through 13 Sentinels in a few days and didn't really like the mech battles.

Am... am I a VN fan? :ohdear:

(next step, buy P5R and see if I get past 50-60% like I did in P5 base :haw:)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Isn't it coming to EGS this month?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

funkmeister posted:

Taking a morel stand, eh?

:mad:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I would like a "skip all the tedious timesink poo poo in each game" button

probe launched

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"House Harkonnen"

"House Ordos"

"House Atriedes"

It's been decades and I can still hear that narrator's voice clear as day

Also early 90s low fi intro videos were the absolute best

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Quick sanity check: is it normal to get addicted to Elex? (that is the game, not the drug)

A huge part of me is saying that I should quit Elex and play the million other better put-together games in my backlog: heck, I haven't even played the Witcher 3 or a bunch of other similar genre games. There's just so much jank and clunkiness to Elex that gets in the way and made me almost quit a bunch of times, and yet, I just keep coming back to play more? I dunno what it is about it, maybe it's the crazy factions and their huge differences in tech like a Civ game gone wrong, or maybe it's just the really long lasting sense of progression due to how harsh the game world is (though it is to my dismay done through numbers and stats more so than player skill). It's very odd. Please, let me know if this is a worthwhile endeavor, or save me by saying it's not worth it.

Eurojank is a special kind of magic

The games are obviously Not Good for many reasons, but they somehow have some powerfully compelling components

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen a truly eurojanky game or dev go AA or AAA in a sequel or new game and really come out feeling the same

Metro Exodus is about as close a good example as I can think of, but I couldn't get in to those games despite multiple attempts

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a browser addon that can show average playtime from reviewers for any given game you're viewing?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Augmented Steam can show the average playtime data from steamspy.
For example, here's the data from Hades:

And here's the data for Dandara:

It also has some other nice features, like showing the current and all-time-lowest price from isthereanydeal so you can see if a game is cheaper somewhere other than Steam.
The online playercount is really nice too if you're thinking about buying a multiplayer-only game and want to know how easy it'll be to find matches.

Perfect, thank you.

I have a feeling average playtime is more useful than reviews on certain games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Any opinions on Tainted Grail Conquest? Deck drafting card battlers is a crowded genre. Any reason to pick this one up?

The setting is interesting, the music rules, but I found the meta progression a bit excessive.

The core gameplay is competent, and the classes are interesting, but I found it pretty easy on most classes (there's three of each of three archetypes).

Didn't like the over world exploration much, it was just ok.

I'd say try it and watch the timer, just dive in and play, you can see if you like it in under two hours.

Some others I played this sale:

Arcanium (cool)
Roguebook (competent but I didn't like it as much as some seem to)
Griftlands (most polished of these)
Vault of the Void (solid, a little overly complex for complexities sake, but fun to play)

Also try Nowhere Prophet and Trials of Fire if you haven't, though the gameplay is half tactical combat in both.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

gently caress

saw a really cool 8bit aesthetic rpg in my queue but I forgot to wishlist, now to play the hunting game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Please share the game when you find it in your discovery queue history

Took some digging, this one!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1069160/SKALD_Against_the_Black_Priory/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I liked Amid Evil more from an aesthetic standpoint but I think Dusk loving nailed the gameplay and atmosphere

Basically everything in that list is great though, everyone should play BPM

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Crud, I forgot to make my yearly effortpost on Warlock 2

I'll make an :effort: post instead

Warlock 2 is a turn based fantasy wargame where you play a plane traveling archmage, build a bunch of cities to churn out a bunch of units, travel between dimensions and mash them into each other, it is fun. It is not Civ. It looks like it. It is not. It's a hex based wargame, not a peaceful empire simulator.

Renaissance Mod for Warlock 2 is the product of an absolute madman that overhauls every aspect of the game, adds new races, new units, rebalances everything, fixes as many bugs as possible, increases challenge, and more.

This is the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493257789

This is Warlock 2 - you need all the DLC to use the mod, which is why it's best to get this during a steam sale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/205990/Warlock_2_The_Exiled/

And there we go, that's my yearly beer and pretzels wargame recommendation, enjoy, or don't, I'm not your dad.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Though the sequel's the one I'm really interested in, I decided to pick up the first Everspace. Any tips for what Perks I should be buying early on?

It's been a minute since I played, but iirc one of the early ships you can unlock is really good - most other unlocks were just progressive bonuses if I remember right

Otherwise just play conservative while you're working on meta unlocks and learning the game - use cover! Trying to dogfight early in the open is suicide.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

DrankSinatra posted:

I'm in the same mood, and I picked up Grim Dawn for $6. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things.

It's very good yes

Also good controller support

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I feel I asked this an age ago, but I'm looking for a chill terraforming game. Load it, listen to a podcast, and go from "I'm going to make a hole with water and a cute plant" to "Ok well I guess there's a whole ecosystem here, now."

Hard to explain what I want, sorry.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1455840/Dorfromantik/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1372320/Cloud_Gardens/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Palpek posted:

Fun fact - Alpha Protocol still sold way better than Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadifre.

:ohdear:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

too bad i won't pick it up and play it until i successfully get through pillars of eternity 1

I'm in this post and I don't like it

I've tried. I made it through Wasteland 3 when it came out, so I don't think I'm like, done with rpgs or whatever, but PoE has been a wall.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Make a CRPG like the first Malazan book where you have no idea what exactly is going on until 20+ hours in.

I think that's Wooden Ocean

but I'm not 20+ hours in so I still have no idea what's going on

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Goons never should have learned words, it's done them no good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Outward is high grade eurojank, fun coop too

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Jedi Fallen Order: the most 6.5/10 game ever

Unfortunately

Made with love but I don't think I love star wars

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ZearothK posted:

drat, that's literally my favorite game that's never coming out

I'm discovering I have a lot of those

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Did I miss Tribes of Midgard talk? It's looking pretty cool, comes out on steam in a few weeks

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Det_no posted:

And then, if you are bad at games, you sacrifice one of the children to power up the tank's super weapon with their soul while everyone else wonders what's happening and where did their friend go.

:catstare:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Triarii posted:

Running low on children, better buy another 10-pack at the next supply stop

title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pretty much a perfect device for me, all the big theater games I already play on my TV setup - this will let me move the lower intensity stuff to a more comfortable mobile form. I use an ipad with remote play currently and that's fine for some games, but all the control options on this thing should open up a lot more games.

My only real concern is warranty, because controls breaking or other hardware issues will be a thing.