Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wandersong is the most delightfully wholesome game I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Are there any good third person single player class-based (preferably fantasy) action RPGs for when you just want to beat up progressively tougher monsters?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Action as in.... Devil May Cry type fighting? Then you want Bayonetta. But class-based, hmm. Final Fantasy XIV is good for that, I guess???

I think I just want something like an MMORPG but without the baggage or grind requirement. Maybe something more like Morrowind, but with less story. I dunno, I just want something with strong combat mechanics, story be damned, but isn't a loving FPS, survival, and/or rogue-lite.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

space marine todd posted:

Recommendations for action rogue/RPG-ish games like Nova Drift? I really like it, but it's still in early access and the amount of content is still pretty light.

Hades is in EA but like 99% complete. They just had a major update which should be the last before going v1.0. It's by Supergiant, so you know it's quality.

Wizard of Legend and Children of Morta are also great

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

space marine todd posted:

Thanks! I'll check it out.

I'm also just looking for more action RPG/loot-type games. What I like about Nova Drift, even though there isn't loot per se, is the wide variety of classes/perks/builds you can rapidly try out.

If this is your main reason for liking Nova Drift, then I reiterate, definitely check out Hades. I'm not a huge fan of bullethell or shmups, but ND hooked me on its build customization system. Of the wide variety of rogue-lites out there, I think Hades is the closest in this regard. And if you do like bullethell, some encounters in Hades can certainly approach that feel.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Lol Steam exploded

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Finally got through! Good luck fuckers :smugdog:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Weird question: Is the store homepage tile for "Role-Playing Games" from anything? The skill tree looks interesting lol

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Artelier posted:

Are there any impressions for Last Epoch? I'm looking for a "casual" ARPG, casual meaning great control feedback, you get new skills/items relatively frequently, and it doesn't require too much planning or minmaxing to do well at whatever the default difficulty is (which is where I fell off from Path of Exile).

The best game so far that I've found that fits these criteria is easily Chronicon, which I love but now I'm just waiting for the expansion to drop and wondering if there's anything I can play to fill the void in the meantime. I hear Diablo 3 is actually great for this, it's just that it's so expensive where I'm at (3x the price of Last Epoch, and like...15 times of say, Grim Dawn). Grim Dawn apparently is the successor to Titan Quest, which I bounced off after a while - not sure why, I think the pacing was just a wee bit too slow for me.

I like Slormancer. I'm very picky and only want to play a new ARPG if it doesn't have dated feeling controls (i.e. click to move). This one has 8 directional movement and also a pretty considerable degree of build customization. It's been in EA for about 8 months and has grown a lot. It was pretty light on content for a while, but there's a decent amount now to keep you busy. The devs are also good about inviting and responding to feedback.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Escape Simulator is so good, holy poo poo. Ended up playing 7 hours with my friend the first session.

Also, gonna ask one more time before the sale's over:

gandlethorpe posted:

Weird question: Is the store homepage tile for "Role-Playing Games" from anything? The skill tree looks interesting lol

For reference

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Thanks! That actually does look like it combines a bunch of things I'm picky about with topdown ARPGs. I'll at the very least add it to my wishlist to revisit in the future, hah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Nobody Saves the World fuckin' ownz

That is all