Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I found this. I wish I hadn't but now I must share it with you.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...ical__Knackles/

I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I played the original Kingdom, lasted about an hour before I gave up on it. I didn't care for how little control you have over things. Your AI minions are stupid and will eventually be your downfall because they can't follow orders or make correct decisions.

New Lands appears to be that same game with some additional visual flourish and maybe more features, I dunno. There's also Kingdom: Two Crowns which came out in 2018 - which also appears to be, again, largely the same game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Regarding MH:W saves, it's a long shot but you can check this link and see if Steam Cloud still has the files: steam:https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorageapp/?appid=582010

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Considering how much this game rode on controversy (released shortly after Columbine) its pretty weird to see a censored trailer.

But yeah, uh... who wanted this? Will this "burly men with guns in brown warehouses and alleys simulator" be popular in 2020?

The biggest claim to fame this game has is Viktor Antonov as an art designer but I think his original vision was largely thrown out (an alternative history sci-fi 'Blade Runner'-style universe) in favor of the steampunk gangland stuff.

I'll take "decisions that come back to bite you in the rear end twenty years later", Alex.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That made me go and check. Blood Omen 2 is on Steam but Square-Enix are not including it in the bundle for whatever reason. The original Blood Omen doesn't seem to be available digitally.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'm wondering exactly how long until Valve decides to sell profile cosmetics directly instead of having them tied to these events.

$50 for a super special profile theme? Someone would pay for it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Was browsing the Recently Updated list and came across this game.

Here's their latest announcement:

quote:

In celebration of WTC 1 being one year old, I've started updating the graphics on the Steam page, with an eye to update the story properly later in the year as previously mentioned.

There are various graphics I want to add, specifically for the Idiot's Guide DLC, which will hopefully be added without any problems.

I must admit, this episode hasn't had the attention that others have had, unfortunately, so hopefully, that will be rectified with the update.

Attention? Hmm, let's see what the user revi-... oh.

Also absolutely zero activity in the discussions. Nobody played this. Zero.

I do not know the dev and have no idea if the game is good or not, but seeing this makes me feel a little :smith:.

Steam algorithms, huh?

EDIT: I posted this in a bit of a hurry but there apparently are user reviews if you scroll down, I'm dumb. Though most are negative... so yeah, this is yet another terrible landfill entry.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You must mean Scaleform. It got discontinued by Autodesk and they're not even selling the licenses anymore; Borderlands 3 only barely scraped by. It's probably the last game to use it commercially.

It was incredibly popular as a solution back in the 360/PS3 days because it was simple and designer-friendly. After Steve Jobs single-handedly killed Flash the industry began abandoning Scaleform (though some big name devs still clung to it; like Rockstar with GTAV and Blizzard with SC2 and even Valve).

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

Definitely my favorite video game song featuring castanets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Jx76vSTk

The Ace Combat series in general has incredible soundtracks.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a DLC to fight giant insects?

I've never thought of a Earth Defense Force/Ace Combat crossover before but now I really want one.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

I guess people shouldn't sit on this, since uh, they're taking the demo down in a month? What a pointless thing to do. I don't understand the reasoning behind time limited demos like that.

Some executive somewhere said "It'll cut into our bottom line and damage game sales for the long term if we're giving away a version of the game for free!"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Givin posted:

This is in the hands of Funcom/Tencent now. Some things are better left to die.

Yeah, it's pretty weird that Funcom got the exclusive license and are bound to do a minimum of three games with it. Doesn't sound like a great recipe.

I think EA and GOG could still do a digital re-release of Emperor. They did one for Blade Runner, after all, and nobody expected that one to happen.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That's why I want that series to continue, just more and more complicated subtitles until it fills up the entire screen.

Go for a Guinness world record. I mean, this guy could do it...

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There still hasn’t been anything that quite does what Renegade’s multiplayer did.

Some people at Petroglyph are working on this, which appears to be a sucessor to Renegade's multiplayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HtV9ZtdKVM

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

I'm still bummed they replaced the amazingly-overwrought CG intro.

When I originally played this (back when it was new) it did something weird. After I'd installed and ran it for the first time it skipped the intro cutscene, so I was just dumped straight into the game with no context. If I recall correctly the game also didn't have a good way to replay the cutscene, for some reason (non-traditional menu system or something).

Anyway, seriously impressive game back when it came out but it did terribly sales-wise and Appeal went bankrupt trying to make the sequel as Atari essentially shut them down. I think they were also juggling around a second project, Totems or something, which didn't exactly help their bottom line near the end.

Here's footage of the PS2 prototype build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy1lqQNcHbc

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

explosivo posted:

Lol I tried getting on there before and no matter what date I selected the page just refreshed and asked for it again.

Same here. It's broken.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

Interesting how they ignore the very recent GOG release and our (ScummVM) work on restoring the engine, fixing bugs etc.

I mean understandable in a marketing piece, but still kind of pretentious.

Yeah, it's weird, but that's press releases for you. Anyway, blame this guy:

quote:

The Alcon-Nightdive partnership was brokered by Joe LeFavi of Genuine Entertainment, who is co-producing Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition alongside Nightdive and Alcon Interactive Group. LeFavi previously produced the companion art book for 2017's Blade Runner 2049, The Art and Soul of Blade Runner 2049.

99% certain this guy wrote it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I've recently gotten back into the Steam loop after a couple of years of console only, but am I missing something here? This is just a big batch of demos right? Why is everyone excited by demos?

These demos are time-limited. Once they're gone, they're gone!

At this point you might wonder "What's the point of small developers putting effort into building a demo version of their game people can only play for 5 days" ...and you know what, you might be on to something!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Time-limited demos are the dumbest thing in the world, I swear. Last time they did it I managed to play like 4 or 5 even thought I planned to play more but didn't have enough time. And you know what? I liked 3 of them enough to convince me to get the full games when released.

Ugh, what is the point of this crap? There's no way I'll play even half of 40 games before they become unavailable again.

Assuming that every game listed on the page has a timed demo, the final tally appears to be 64 games.

So that's 64 games fighting for attention in this short window.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Disposable Scud posted:

Looks like Nightdive did something with Sin Gold.

Sweet, are we finally getting Sin Episodes 2?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You can get plenty of mileage out of ESO by treating it as weird spin-off singleplayer game that happens to have other players running around in it. Definitely not a shortage of stuff to do in it.

I never got to the expansion stuff but I did play most of what was offered in the first pre-expansion version and I'm sure it's all been changed a lot and streamlined since. The main story quest was a decent enough distraction.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

drat, never heard of this. Looks great.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

Calladuty admitted they were paying zero attention to reusable assets (and more specifically had zero development practices and zero technical ability to use it in a space saving way) and on second thought their 190GB was obnoxiously duplicated data and said they might think about how to avoid it in the sequels maybe.

There's a lot of bad compromises to be made doing size management for cheap and a lot of expensive technical overhead to do it right but I hope they start paying attention soon. I guess it could be worse as the worst size queens are games that live and die on their texture and model work and there's a lot of good stylized indies that run 1-15 GB and still look fine.

Acitivision don't care. They've got a captive audience.

It's a little nuts that a launch PS4 has 400GB of storage and a single game today can take up half of that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

They made them absolutely terrible in AC3, hope you like this slow walking guard following stealth sequence in this narrow hallway.

This was partially because some of the devs were flirting with the idea of having all of this lead up to a modern-day AC game (or a game that had you both playing as an ancestor and Desmond in the same setting, centuries apart) but that seemed to get swiftly abandoned at the end of AC3, for whatever reason.

This was basically confirmed by Nolan North, where he says the plan was for Desmond to become "the ultimate assassin" and he'd get time travel powers or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mApKvjTIoXA&t=2037s

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

I got a bunch of lasers up, started to descend into the 'endgame' area and then left when I found the puzzles with broken screens. That's not stimulating, that's just being a loving dick.

Yes, those broken screen puzzles were obnoxious but I guess the idea was that if you were this far into the game you'd put up with them? Them and the timed/randomized puzzle stuff near the end go against the general laid-back nature of the game. Outside of those I think it's a very well realized puzzle game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

walking simulator doesn't really seem like a fair description when it does a lot of really cool interactions beyond just walking around and picking things up.

More like a collection of interactive short stories. The game does a good job of making them all feel unique and different. Also a great little connection to The Unfinished Swan.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I really liked Infra but never finished it. Felt like it went on for far too long and sometimes what you were supposed to do next could be a little unclear. But it's very different and looks alright for a Source game - plus the protagonist has a great Finnish accent.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

FastestGunAlive posted:

When FC5 was initially shown I thought the cult would be a take on the American right of the past ten years; stuff like militias, preppers, religious extremists- think the bundy clan or 3%ers. But they kept it more generic and non denominational, maybe to avoid controversy.

Ubisoft, the publisher that famously said they don't want to be political while marketing The Division 2.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That review reads like something from an alternate reality.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like there's a demo.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Baller Time posted:

XCOM is cool and good, but I think I might be more interested in knowing what's happening there with that surprise drop and 50% (?!) pre-order discount. Is this some test to see if spending insane amounts of money on marketing matters? Is the game incredibly broken? Was it supposed to come out next year and they need the money now? Does the pandemic have any influence here?

This is Take Two so who knows, it could be a combination of all of the above.

However, the fact that they're dropping this out of nowhere, being a new installment in the franchise that Gears Tactics is copying, 4 days ahead of that game and way, way cheaper ($10 vs $60), is just brutal. Someone at Microsoft is yelling right now.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Fallout 76

Overall user reviews: Mostly Negative (188)

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's the absolute worst ones, based on review averages (open in a browser not logged into Steam).

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wandersong is fantastic and very cute.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

repiv posted:

If you logged in during the Xmas sale you got one automatically, and each time you used your coupon during the sale you got another one. I think they expire soon though.

They expire May 1st but the sale ends today I think.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

I'm sure this won't get instanuked by a bunch of bored lawyers.

They seem to aware of that based on the pitch website. They're putting this out there in the hopes that some influencers pick this up and make a video or tweet - the website namedrops Pewdiepie and Jacksepticeye as among those that have played their previous work, so that's the angle they're working.

But yeah, it's definitely gonna get nuked.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's safer to remake an old property than it is to make a new installment.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Scoping down a game doesn't automatically make it worse.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Return of the Obra Dinn is $13.99 (30% off) until Wednesday.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Do you shake the mouse to to the dash move?