Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle/status/1213632283493593088

It's happening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The only OST I've ever bought on steam is Cuphead's, and it was 100% worth the price. I still listen to it every now and then even though I haven't played the game since I beat it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Terminally Bored posted:

Can't be done, Atlus hates PC

Atlus Japan does, Atlus USA has published a bunch of games on steam.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirSamVimes posted:

What's a good podcast game? I've been working my way through the Critical Role backlog and I'd like something to occupy my hands and part of my brain while I'm listening. I've been mostly using Dead Cells, but I want to mix it up a bit.

Grim Dawn is great for podcasts. It threads the needle between Path of Exile's insane leveling system and Diablo 3's super streamlined gameplay. It's just a very solid game.

Also Spelunky, Monolith, Into the Breach, etc. Roguelikes are perfect for podcasts.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Same.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a real-time ARPG, the card aesthetic is really just for looks. It's actually your combined inventory and skill loadout, cards are just how it's represented visually. It doesn't run on any card-game rules and there's not really any collectible aspect to it, just crafting resources and drops as in any ARPG.

Seconding this. I can't stand deckbuilding games, but I loved Book of Demons. The aesthetic is great, and it has some fun mouse mechanics.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

No, it's Glittermitten Grove 2.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

K8.0 posted:

Asking this here because the main thread is dead and seems spoilerrific : I've been playing Return of the Obra Dinn for about two hours and I decided to stop because I feel like I must be missing something and ruining the experience for myself as a result. After the tutorial, I've really done nothing but catalog obvious causes of death and pick out the names of two people that were made really obvious by them being called out, plus two guesses based on an age-related assumption. I feel like I must be missing something I should be doing, but I don't know what. Sometimes I see context I could maybe read something into, but I have no idea what internal rules the storytelling operates on, so I don't know if things are pointing to someone being in charge of something or an underling. It doesn't feel like the game is meant to be played this way, so I'm sure I'm either overlooking something or taking the wrong approach, but I'm not sure what.

I think the main hump to get over for that game is that everything is fair game for being a clue. In most games, there's a sort of distinction between stuff that is like capital-R Relevant, and stuff that is just flavor. Like textures can just be whatever, what matters is who the character is, props are just spread around randomly, etc. Obra Dinn forces you to overcome those assumptions, because everything in the scenes is placed deliberately, because they're just unmoving dioramas.

You have to do things like look at characters' clothes, where they're standing in scenes, who they're talking to, how they're reacting. You have to grasp at every straw because some of these identities are really tricky to narrow down, so the sooner you start expanding your scope, the easier time you'll have.

Also, one of the biggest clues the game gives you is when a character becomes guessable. Don't feel like you have to guess everything right away, but you may end up needing to take some actual notes on physical paper to keep track of things.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A good poster posted:

Didn't Nintendo own the rights to W101? I'm assuming they sold the IP rights back to Platinum for a pittance and a guaranteed Switch port because the Wii U game was such a bomb. God Hand was a similar bomb for Capcom, right?

Apparently Platinum just asked Nintendo and they said "sure".

quote:

Can you elaborate on the status of the IP? Does Platinum now own it?

Inaba: Unfortunately, we cannot comment on this matter at this time.

It seems surprising that Nintendo has allowed the game to appear on other platforms. Why is that?

Kamiya: We don’t really know! (Laughs) They were really nice about it.

Inaba: Platinum has a really good relationship with Nintendo. We’ve been with Nintendo from the very beginning and we’ve released a lot of games with them, including Astral Chain which recently released and was a big success. So I think it’s largely thanks to our relationship with Nintendo that they kind of decided to give us a break. I think it’s our history that it’s largely attributed to. We were quite surprised ourselves. This is usually not something that is allowed in the games industry. We see it as a very unique opportunity that Nintendo has given us and we’re pleased to have it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

On the subject of backlogs and good games, I've never heard a bad word about Okami and it seems like a great deal for $10.

I've bought Okami like five times and never regretted it.

It's the best Zelda game not made by Nintendo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

People were wondering about whether Wolcen was really gonna be done done tomorrow, and they dropped some patch notes early:

quote:

Here is a small changelog just to mark the transition between Beta and launch. We know that some of you expect it and we wanted to provide you with one. Basically, we could summarize this in one line: Added the game. But let’s detail just a bit.

And then there's an extremely long list of changes :v:

Glad to see that they added character customization, I was worried you could only play as that one boring dude since there was all that VA referring to you as "brother". Excited to play it tomorrow!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

yegods posted:

Wolcen is fun actually, but they really need an "attack in place" button. I was really missing that.

I thought they do have one? I made a ranged character and holding shift kept them from moving, just like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, etc.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is this on steam? I want to help Gandalf clown on the fellowship

Sadly, it was never ported to PC, and since it's an EA game it likely never will be. Developed by EA Redwood Shores, in the days before they broke out with Dead Space and got renamed Visceral and then shut down because they had a name now :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, if all my chatter about Dynasty Warriors earlier interested you, they're all on sale on steam! Everyone should pick up 7 and/or 8 and enjoy them!

Also, the sequel to the best musou game (One Piece Pirate Warriors 3) is finally coming out later this month!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scalding Coffee posted:

RF:G was great a decade ago, but it is more lifeless than the actual planet it is set on. I can only play in bursts before I remember what you can do in Saints Row. I want another Ultimate Destruction Hulk.

I would kill for a sequel to that game based on Immortal Hulk.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's actually kind of what I liked about it, but only in the late-game Abyss stuff. At that point it basically became Diablo, but with Souls Combat. I hated all the grinding through the same missions of several different difficulties just to get there part, though

Diablo-style loot is great in theory, but the itemization is by far the worst part of Nioh. There's no consistency in where you find what kind of stuff, and the differences are way too granular. It's a lot of comparing percentages between different bonuses.

That's the main thing I'm hoping they fix in the sequel. Well, that and fewer boring cave levels.

To be clear: otherwise? Absolutely my favorite souls-like, better than any actual From game except maybe Dark Souls 1. The combat is so loving good it makes up for a lot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I played a bit of One Step from Eden earlier today, and it was fun but I felt like I was just mashing spells while I focused mostly on dodging attacks. That got me to like the third area, so it doesn't seem super punishing, but it is just a lot going on all the time.

Seems like the sort of thing where you'll eventually get a feel for stuff like enemy activity and which symbols correspond to which spells, and then it'll feel easier to handle. But it's just so fast paced with so many thing happening right off the bat, it gets overwhelming quickly.

Also, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 came out today, and so far it looks and feels like a very solid musou game. Doesn't cover as much of the One Piece story as the last one, but that's hardly the main goal. That series is ridiculously long, nearing 1000 chapters of the manga, so it makes sense that they're focusing more on the recent stuff.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I enjoyed Origins, but after finishing it I feel like I can't play an ubisoft-style open world game game for a good five years.

It's just... a lot of game, of a very specific formula.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dias posted:

Trials of Mana looks kinda ugly but it feels pretty good. SD3 is one of my favorite games so I'm looking forward to that one.

Yeah, I was pretty pessimistic after how back the Secret of Mana remake was, but the demo has me really excited for it. I love SD3, and this feels like a great modern update of it.

The graphical style is kinda weird, though, that's true. It has really nice colors and environments and monsters, but the characters look a bit awkward. Like they tried to make them too realistic, when the original game was so stylized and cartoonish that it ends up looking like normal people wearing weird costumes.

The combat is great, though. It moves so much faster than the original, no more stopping every few seconds to watch the animation for a spell or special move. They totally redid the leveling system, which is nice because the old one was a super boring stat point assignment thing. It really feels like a modern take on the same material rather than a straight-up rehash, it's really nice to see Squenix putting more effort into their back catalogue.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bruceski posted:

The T4 are a hybrid of that character's light or dark classes. Which in some cases sounds great and in others sounds lackluster but we'll have to wait to see how they're actually implemented.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how all the classes play differently with the new battle system. Especially ones that are really different like Duran's light side getting shields or Carlie's necromancer class that summons monsters to fight for you.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How is War of the Chosen if I thought the base XCOM 2 was decent but not great? Is it a big overhaul or just a "more of the same" kind of expansion?

Major overhaul. It adds a ton of stuff, and is basically designed to bring XCOM 2 from "pretty good" to "great".

e: Missed a number.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 12, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Glare Seethe posted:

Played about an hour of Nuclear Throne. The sound effects are insanely loud and there's no separate volume slider for them, which is really annoying. And the second area is a dark sewer level, which sucks. Otherwise it seems pretty all right. I was under the impression that this was some kind of masterpiece, but maybe my expectations were too high or it's just been surpassed since its release. It's not immediately grabbing me but it's fun enough to keep at for now, I think.

Nuclear Throne is okay, but it's no Monolith.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just started Nier Automata last night after accidentally buying it because I didn't realize it was in my cart, it's cool! But I have some very spoilery questions. I'm still in the very early game (just did the desert) and...

I think I already get what this game is going for, theme-wise. There has been enough attention drawn to things like non-aggressive enemies, enemies begging for help and seeming more human than I am, quests forcing me to kill non-aggressive enemies to progress, etc - the desert boss bleeding when I killed it, and being born from a big metal womb in the first place. So I'm assuming that it's going to pull a Spec Ops: The Line thing where it questions me for being recklessly violent. The fact that the first boss was literally made of industrial machinery, it was part of the world that I'm here to protect. It's pretty overt with all of this symbolism

So my question is... does it do anything with the game mechanics (not just the story) regarding this? I.E. Will I miss out on anything, or have a different experience if I do something like choose to avoid killing whenever possible? If there's a mechanical difference I want to know about it, but if it's just a story thing then I'll let it run its course and do its thing.
(For what it's worth I probably won't play through it more than once to see the alternate story stuff unless the combat gets a lot more challenging soon, which is why I ask)

Also here's my guess at the big twist after 2 hours of play so that you can chuckle at it if I'm wildly off-course:

The robots that I'm killing are Human-built robots, humanity is dead and I am playing as one of the invaders that wiped them out

That's an interesting guess, I think you'll enjoy this game a lot.

There's really no branching paths in the game based on moral choices or whatever. The only optional content is either sidequests (which are all worth doing, don't judge based on the tutorial ones) or joke endings. There are 27 endings, one for each letter in the alphabet, but only the first 5 are part of the actual story, and you'll get them in sequence one after another as you play through the game.

Know that this doesn't mean you're going to play through the whole game five times, it's a different kind of thing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 a lot just a couple years ago, although I did turn off weapon durability.

It's more fun when you treat the whole thing as a series of objectives, not as a pure open world game. Deciding you're just going to go from point A to point B and then focusing in on that, rather than just going around randomly looking for stuff to do. I can see why a lot of people bounce off of it because it doesn't have the same sort of free-wheeling tone as the later FC games (or other Ubisoft open world games).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If you're not enjoying the game, just stop playing it.

0 is probably the best in the whole series, so if that one isn't clicking for you then you're not going to enjoy any of the others. Personally, I found the plot really engaging and loved doing all the side content. The only part that dragged was waiting around for the real estate minigame's meters to fill up.

But like if you're checked out of the main plot and not enjoying the combat and don't want to slog through the side content... why are you still playing?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Joe Man posted:

Literally the only reason I finished it is if a potentially later entry in the series isn't repetitive garbage and wouldn't miss out on any context. I like to play things in order too.

Well, the latest entry in the series changed the combat system completely!

It is now a turn-based JRPG, modeled on Dragoon Quest, because the new protagonist is a huge nerd. So, probably not moving in the direction you hoped. The Yakuza games have always been more RPG than action game, at heart, and now they're bringing that to the forefront.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Leal posted:

Have they ported the Army Men games to PC yet?

They actually have!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OhFunny posted:

How is Chrono Trigger on Steam? I heard it launched in a bad state, but that Square-Enix rolled some patches out to fix it.

It's actually really good now. You can play it in a mode that is just like the original SNES version, but with the updated translation from the DS port. It actually defaults to having the awful "HD" filters turned off now, so you don't even have to mess with the options from the start. It has the extra postgame content from the DS version, as well as the anime cutscenes from the PS1 version.

The only flaw is that the UI is still a little too big in a few places (since it's still based on a mobile port) but honestly not half as bad as the other old Final Fantasy ports Square has put on steam.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Look Sir Droids posted:

The true phantom pain was not having all the campy bullshit in MGS5. The closest we got was Kazburgers, some old guy talking about bacteria loving, and some leery tiddy poo poo.

Yeah, especially after Peacewalker went all in on the goofy nonsense. There were side missions where you had to go take pictures of ghosts! Or fight monsters from Monster Hunter, complete with those cats that help you cook rations on a spit over a fire. One of the big ultimate weapons you had to grind endgame boss fights to unlock was a human slingshot that could only be used with a full four-person coop party. There was a cardboard box with a working gun turret on top!

I was so excited for MGSV to be Peacewalker on a real console, but instead it's just all grim serious nonsense about child soldiers and horrific human experimentation and even the wacky scientist is an incredibly horrible person.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Funky Valentine posted:

No actually this development owned because it just made Otacon's backstory even more insane.

Oh I love it, and his VA is probably the best performance in the whole series, but it contributed to the whole "no fun allowed" atmosphere of the game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hwurmp posted:

Does Hypnospace Outlaw have any pages you can permanently miss?

Nope!

There's a bit towards the end where you can go back to any time period from earlier chapters, so there's nothing you can miss permanently.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The 7th Guest posted:

May as well play NNK2 first, because DQ is the better game and you don't want a dropoff

i am higher on NNK2 than others though, I thought the kingdom building minigame was fun and that the game didn't suffer from some of the issues that NNK1 did, the combat being more active/action helped a lot

don't feel like you have to do every single sidequest in the game but you can do a few here and there. i'd switch around between the different modes of the game (main quests, kingdom building, the pikmin-style army fights, sidequests) so that the typical Level 5 fatigue doesn't set in

I would agree with this, and also add that DQXI is 100 hours long, while NNK2 is only like 40-50, which is another reason to play the latter first.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mierenneuker posted:

I feel that when it comes to killing god in a JRPG, I don't really need motivations.

Especially YHVH in Shin Megami Tensei, that dude's an rear end in a top hat.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

I need more (newer) games like Enter the Gungeon, I'm on a binge but that game in particular is killing me trying to unlock the Robot

Isaac let me down by aesthetic (and too many passives); Nuclear Throne is too fast for me; and I haven't really tried Synthetik past maybe 15 minutes long ago

Play Monolith! It's the best twin-stick roguelike around, and I literally described it in my steam review a couple years back as "faster than Gungeon but slower than Nuclear Throne".

e: Oh, that'll teach me to not keep reading the thread. Still, more people should play Monolith.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 16, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

This edit is absolutely true, by the way. Anyone who liked NT or EtG or maybe BoI absolutely needs to play Monolith, it rules.

And has the chillest cat with the chillest music. Go get some tea, maybe some hot soup, relax before you try another run~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uItvy6__G9s

(edit) Wow the Overlord theme rips. I never really noticed because after the initial beat drop you're too busy fighting to survive :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijDiN9Qa-38

I love the music of the first stage, it's so cheerful and bouncy in the way a lot of old NES games were https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_trQV_TZ7g

And then that theme comes back later in a different form and it's even better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxURGQoa3w

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bruceski posted:

I know some Tales games are much better regarded than others, how is Berseria? Worth the +5 bucks in the bundle?

It's the best one in recent memory, definitely worth the five bucks.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SirSamVimes posted:

TW3 combat was good, but not great, and I do not understand why anyone says it's actively bad.

Same.

It takes some getting used to, but once you understand how it works it's pretty fun, if not very challenging. The only fight I remember having trouble with is like that melee in the tournament in Blood and Wine. To get the best reward, you basically have to do it without getting hit, so you have to be way more careful with dodging that usual.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"The Pile" isn't an exclusive category, and neither is "anime bullshit" :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Pirate Captain posted:

There's no wrong way to play Nioh. You can beat the whole game from mid stance and nothing but a katana, or you can become a fight-wizard demolishing everything in your path with spells. Whatever works for you is fair which is why it's such a great game. Don't feel you need to play the way a streamer does or that you're using a crutch, there's no such thing.

Yeah, whatever works for you is what works.

I absolutely love Nioh, the combat is so good it makes it hard for me to play other souls-likes. The itemization is garbage, but on the first difficulty you can pretty much ignore it. Just equip better armor or weapons when you find them, don't pay attention to the bonuses. It feels like kind of a mess of a game because it was in development for over a decade and changed genres several times (it was originally a JRPG based on an unfilmed Akira Kurosawa script).

Really hope that Nioh 2 makes it to PC this year. The first one came out on steam like 6 months after PS4, hopefully it'll be the same this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ciaphas posted:

Hot take: Kuze was the 2nd best part of Y0's story

(1st best was the scene with Nakayama and the pistol because holy poo poo my heartstrings, my dudes)

Hard agree.

The third time you fight him it's like "god, aren't there any other bosses in this game? I hate this dude" but then you fight him a FOURTH time and it's fuckin' cool as hell.