Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ragequit posted:

Have a preferred genre other than non-roguelike?

Some things that are currently under $5 that were well received by goons:

Hotline Miami 2: ~10 hours of rootin', tootin', and shootin' (I never did play the second one but it seems to be more of the first, which is also on sale if you've never played it)

There are some cool new things but overall I'd say Hotline Miami 2 isn't nearly as tight of a game as the original. The level design feels really really bad in some areas with wide-open spaces and enemies who can snipe you from offscreen. It also just drags on at certain points , with missions feeling samey and checkpoints being too far apart. It's maybe worth a play if you love the first game and want more, but otherwise just get the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Disco Elysium: I feel like I'm piloting the world's most pathetic, ruined man. Like I am a mecha pilot and I have been handled a giant version of C-3PO. And he's got a hangover. God I'm so glad I don't drink.

You're definitely playing it right.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Sininu posted:

The worst game in terms of pop-in I've played or even seen in the last 15 years. And it doesn't even perform well.

PS4 was somehow worse if you can believe it! Not just visual pop-in issues but entire chunks not loading so you'd end up with just completely blank spaces if you were travelling too quickly. It's kind of cool and eerie the first time it happens and then it gets annoying

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ShootaBoy posted:

Bad North is pure, distilled RTS, and the Jotunn edition is their big post release update they put out a few months ago. It's great.

Nice to hear, that's a game I'm glad I waited around on. Big fan of the kind of indie games that take from known genres and try and purify them down into their most important components

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

srulz posted:

So what's the best non-Steam Controller controller purely for Steam Link usage?

After failing to click anything whatsoever in Slay the Spire/Baba Is You through both Parsec/Chrome Remote Desktop, I was completely blown away by Steam Link which is just so incredibly smooth. This is made even more impressive by the fact that I'm connecting through my mobile connection, instead of wifi connection.

So now I'm looking forward to finishing Outer Worlds etc on my phone, just need a proper controller now.

I think a dualshock 4 or the xbox one controller should both be fine, it's just based on preference

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I'm in a weird spot where I know I liked 7 a lot while I was playing it but I've also forgotten most of what happens during the game and have no desire to play it again (when I usually want to play my favorite RE games a million times). I wasn't even like hosed up while I was playing through it or anything, it's just, outside of a few segments (first boss fight in the garage, the birthday party) it's completely slipped out of my mind. I think I enjoyed it but not really for the same reasons I enjoyed any other RE games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mordja posted:

No, I only own a PC (:smug:) but while the robomonsters looked cool, something about the rest of the world and its aesthetic seemed overly "artificial" to me. Plus I I remember reading that the the open world is a mechanically bog-standard, Ubisoft-affair.

It absolutely is but the combat's at least trying to pull off some interesting stuff and redeemed it for me. I liked feeling like I actually needed to take advantage of laying traps and applying status effects and stuff on hard mode. I think it's a good buy at the $20 it's been on PS4 for a while , but I have no idea how they'll price it on steam

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mordja posted:

I dunno if they fixed it, but in the GB video I saw around release it looked like you could just sit in a bush the whole game, lure a robit closer and get an instakill stealth attack.

I think that only works on really basic fodder guys but I definitely didn't push the game's systems or anything like that, just played the way that made it fun for me

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Speaking as someone who has beaten Bloodborne like 6 times and just started up a new character this week , Bloodborne does not run very well on PS4 lol. This is my first time playing it on a Pro and it's definitely better at keeping a consistent 30fps but it's still just 30fps . It's probably my favorite game of the decade nonetheless but I would kill for a PC or PS5 port or whatever

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

wafflemoose posted:

Maybe it's the anti-capitalism cynic in me but I feel like the console manufacturers don't really want to push for backwards compatibility anymore is because it's much more easier and more profitable to just make remastered versions of the popular games. After all, you make more money by getting people to buy the same game twice.

It's a fair point, but the optimistic cynic in me says that hopefully the numbers even out to where enough people are stoked about true backwards comparability & able to be converted into console buyers because of it that they find that a worthy feature to pursue. I'm not very hopeful regarding that when it comes to Sony but I'd be really pleasantly surprised if they followed MS's lead on that next-gen

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

It can be stressful and annoying as hell, yeah, but at the same time, it was also really central to the whole idea. That whole iterative gameplay where you kept getting stronger and progressively better at herding groups of survivors in just the right order for maximum XP gains, that's what makes those games what they are. It also meant they had a very clear structure to each run, sort of like Majora's Mask - some things can only be done at certain times on certain days and it's your job to plan it out correctly.

Yeah I can emphasize with people who got turned off by the time management structure of the first two games, but the issue is that it's pretty core to what made those games feel special. Dead Rising is like a perfect example of a series that started as "fun for some, bad for others" and tried to get rid of the "bad for others" parts but just turned into a really mediocre game that isn't going to excite anybody.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Geomancing posted:

Team Ladybug, the folks who made that metroidvania Touhou: Luna Nights, are working on a Castlevania: SotN clone based on, of all things, 90s anime Record of Lodoss War.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/tea...am-early-access

It's going up for early access on Steam on March 12th for ~$12 US, and is blatantly a ripoff but looks pretty sweet. I never played Luna Nights but the speedrun I saw at GDQ looked pretty clean and cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdmKbXx6gtU

Speaking as someone who knows jack poo poo about the source material, Luna Nights is super super cool. A little short and linear but the encounter design and bossfights are first class, with some creative unique mechanics and no filler. Great little game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Bought Dark Souls 3 on the Humble sale; played on PS4 a bunch before I had a PC but I'm ready for those sweet 60fps. I'm having a really bad time with controller support though -- I generally have no problems with my dualshock 4 on steam but for some reason the right stick camera control sensitivity is REALLY high even after turning all related settings down to the minimum; a tiny flick will rotate 180° or more and I think it's maybe reading the right stick as a mouse input? Open to any suggestions to fix this! Not super familiar with navigating the controller settings in Steam because most games have worked fine to just plug n play.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FutureCop posted:

It was a while ago but the same thing happened to me. I think it had something to do with Steam Big Picture or whatever they call it selecting a default controller layout which wasn't good and used the right joystick as a 'mouse' instead of a 'move', if I recall correctly. Try going into steam big picture and either tweak the controller setup or change the controller profile it loads to something else.

Thanks! For some reason I needed to access the Steam overlay in-game and change controller settings from there, the dark souls 3 preset (which did have tight stick assigned to mouse for some
ungodly reason) was overriding the global controller config in steam settings. Works great now though.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Albinator posted:

(because it's on gamepass)
This is from pages back, but I had a lovely few hours with it. Super cute game, my only niggle was the bouncing physics on the flippers not being realistic. Everyone should give it a try.

Yeah I've played so much irl pinball that video gamey pinball physics drive me crazy. Zen Pinball has gotten a little better but for all the huge gently caress-ups involved with the franchise nothing has ever come close to Pinball Arcade

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Niffelheim complaint: started a new game and my class choices are boy, girl, boy, boy. I'm not a huge fan of gender being tied to class here. :\

I feel ya there (and haven't played the game yet!) but from videos it looks like Niffelheim has some pretty intricate and good hand-drawn sprites which is increasingly rare even among AAA games, let alone lower-budget indie titles. Drawing and animating for 4 different classes is already a tall order, adding gender variants for each one and keeping them distinct doubles that workload. Good sprite art is loving hard to do and expensive and so there's a good incentive to streamline that down to 4 designs in development .

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

just a heads-up if anyone wants to play Ori 2 early and were planning on using PC gamepass: it's extremely easy to do so, no VPN or anything required! Go to your windows settings panel, hit "time and language", go to "regions" on the left and switch to New Zealand. If you open up the windows store, the game will be there available to install and play.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Played for a couple of hours and Ori 2 is loving sick. Combat feels about as great and fresh as the movement did in the first game, and you can even do the pogo bounce thing from Hollow Knight

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

this game definitely hasn't been taking any cues from hollow knight or anything (Ori and the Will of the Wisps)

edit: I also just found a map-maker who travels from zone to zone (I think) and gained the ability to heal with the cost of energy that will also be able to fuel combat abilities and locking me in place while I use it.

I'm not complaining though, a bit of Hollow Knight mixed in while still retaining its own identity is working really nicely.

Yeah a lot of the combat feels straight out of Hollow Knight too, although just like with the movement you trade a little precision for a more "fluid" feeling which I happen to enjoy very much. Not complaining about all the inspiration though! The combat works really well as an evolution of the mechanics in the first game. I just beat the first "real" boss and reached what seems to be the first major milestone; it's really enjoyable how hard and fast the game puts new mechanics in front of you. Also, unlike Ori 1, the new abilities I'm getting are giving me plenty of incentive to return to and re-explore old areas

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

This sounds pretty cool. And I needed something that runs on my laptop anyway.
Speaking of: any recommendations for games with laughable hardware requirements? I like strategies, RPGs and Metroidvanias, dislike puzzle games and am horrible at point'n'click adventures. Played most of the big releases and thread darlings already, so I'm looking for anything more obscure this time around.
I'm going to be stuck with a laptop from cca 2014 with an integrated graphics card for some time so any recommendations would be welcome.

There are some great hidden gem Japanese indie metroidvanias like Pharoah Rebirth https://store.steampowered.com/app/441280/Pharaoh_Rebirth/, Momodora https://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/Momodora_Reverie_Under_The_Moonlight/, and Touhou Luna Nights https://store.steampowered.com/app/851100/Touhou_Luna_Nights/ that you may have never played, and they should run on just about anything. I'm also very very fond of both La Mulana games but if you don't like puzzles and adventure game logic it's very possible you'd hate them!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Serephina posted:

Is Ori 1 worth getting if I'm more concerned with a solid metroidvania than I am pretty gfx and setting? Its why I never got it, didn't quite trust the videos to be selling me more form than function.

It's a good game but feels more like a platformer that happens to take place on one big map than it does a "metroidvania" -- there are optional pickups but they're mostly obviously signposted bonus challenges diverging from the main path. So far the second game is MUCH more in line with the exploration, branching areas, and the feeling of "oh poo poo I need to go back to that place I couldn't get to before" when you get a new ability that you'd expect from a metroidvania game. Skip to the second if that's what you're in it for -- it's really really good

goferchan fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 13, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm interested in Fell Seal from this month's Humble Choice, but I have zero interest in any of the other games-- but currently the lowest price for Fell Seal is about the same price as a 3 game sub. Anyone willing to split a bundle with me or sell me their key for a price?

Check your PMs :cheers:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

like everything, it's a balance, I guess.

I think it was literally programmer art and they never changed it before being hired by Blizzard iirc

correct -- the dev (Peter Whalen) has done some teasing on twitter lately about what people would like to see in an update, though , and said new art was already a given . So if that may interest you in the future you probably won't do better than $1 for the game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Too Shy Guy posted:

Another game I got from a very friendly developer is roguelike shmup The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, which might be the new best place for people to get started in the bullet hell genre.

drat this is right up my alley and your post is probably the only way I'd have ever heard of it. Thanks! Played a couple runs and really enjoy it so far, really like the scoring system and breaking monster parts off.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I've never done the early VPN unlock thing but I think I would like to do so for Doom Eternal today, given the circumstances. If I've bought the game and it's preloaded is it as simple as just connecting to a Hong Kong VPN or whatever and launching Steam? Do I have to stay connected to it as long as I want to play before it releases here, or just initially for the early unlock?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

haldolium posted:

as a company bungie is probably one of the better employers.

Yeah I do not know anybody directly who works there but I know industry people in proximity who have said the same. A big part of their motivation in splitting with Activision was apparently to have more control over deadlines etc in order to keep a sane work environment for their staff

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Veotax posted:

Anyone having any luck VPNing for Doom Eternal? I've tried using NordVPN servers in Australia and Singapore and for both of them it just said "Game unlocks March 19" and didn't even try to unlock.

EDIT: Had to log out of the Steam app on my phone.

Yeah I ended up paying $2 for an NZ VPN from Windscribe, never done it before but it was super easy. Also I think if you're willing to buy on the Windows Store instead of Steam you can get an early unlock REALLY easily there by just changing your windows system settings to another region.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

is it unlocked on steam already?

No, it's midnight EST, but a VPN works

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

There's an indie game that apparently plays like Mega Man Battle Network? It's One Step from Eden. It's also a roguelike deckbuilder?

It's not out yet, but there is a playable demo from their Kickstarter and it is very strong. Really hope the game comes together well

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah surprisingly I'm pulling almost the same (had to tweak a few things) with a 1060 6GB, after I installed the new drivers that came out yesterday. Very very pleasantly surprised

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mordheim is really fun to goof around in but I, personally, would not have very much fun playing it competitively. Not really a knock on the game, it seems like it has a ton of depth and the devs put some work into balancing a million possible equipment loadouts, but there's just way too much going on for me to process it all.

edit: and I guess it's a testament to the game's strength that I still find it fun to goof around in even though I'd never stand a chance against an organized team. The chaotic nature of the maps still makes it feel cool to hang back and take pot-shots or flank in expecting people

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Azran posted:

Quick question - if I want to try playing with people who are not physically with me, do I need to stream from my PC since I'm the one who owns the game?

Yeah I believe so. Works that way on console at least

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

owl_pellet posted:

For all the people who are going on and on about how VR is so immersive: how does it feel when the environment doesn't "push back" against you? Like if you swing a melee weapon at something and miss and hit a wall, the weapon stops but your arms keep going. Or when you fire a gun you don't feel the recoil. Or pulling a set of shelves over to block a door requires the same effort as picking up some random small thing off those same shelves.

You'd probably be surprised how easily well-implemented visual and audio feedback combined with a little rumble can actually trick your brain into feeling like you're meeting resistance. But yeah, it's definitely still a problem to solve -- I think the technology for really good haptic feedback is there but most people probably don't want to put on a bulky Power Glove to play VR or whatever

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Any experiences with that? I love MMBN but goddamn this looks ugly.

An early demo came out of the Kickstarter campaign like over a year ago and I thought the battle system was extremely promising . I'm not a backer though and don't know how much progress they've made since then -- gonna wait for some impressions but I've definitely been looking forward to this one!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also I'm not familiar with either of these sites but found two reviews of One Step From Eden that look promising. Sounds like the game errs on the side of being difficult/complex, which may not be for everyone, but I'm happy to hear there's apparently plenty of depth there. Probably gonna go ahead and jump on it when it unlocks! Definitely curious about the co-op/PVP implementation too -- they're local only for now with plans for online to be added in the future. I wonder how well they'd work with the new steam Play Together feature?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Attempted a few runs and I like One Step From Eden a lot but it is indeed really hard. If you played the Megaman Battle Network games, imagine it picks up around where those games leave off, with the boss of the first zone of the game being almost as hard as a lot of endgame encounters from those. There seems to be a lot to do, too, with tons of unlockable characters, cards, enemies, events, etc. The battle system has a lot of depth but right now I feel like I don't have the reflexes to fully explore it -- there are a lot of synergistic abilities that do things like lock down enemies, create hazards on their side of the board, build turrets/constructions, turn hazards on your own side of the board into advantages, etc etc but combat moves so quickly that it's difficult for me to do much other than focus on dodging attacks and hitting the opponent with my own. Lol, apparently this is also AFTER a day one patch that turned the difficulty down a little bit, which hasn't yet made it to the Switch version of the game, so I don't even know how people playing on there are handling it.

edit: Ah, and one of the first unlocks you get is an alternate kit for the starting character that gives her an ability that slows down time. That's going to help learning the game a lot! This feels very thoughtfully made the more that I play.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 26, 2020

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Omi no Kami posted:

Does World of Horror do anything mechanically innovative or neat, or is the appeal mainly about it being a solid execution of old-school turn-based JRPG stuff combined with junji ito/lovecraft vibes?

Hm, I would compare the gameplay almost to a (admittedly kind of excessive) board game than I would an old-school JRPG. Combat is in the game, but most of what you're doing is managing your resources in order to respond as effectively as possible to random events, and (until you've learned everything and it becomes purely about the mechanical aspect) working your way through some pretty cool puzzles. I really like the game and I'm glad I got it, but one of the features that shows the most unique promise to me is events in one case affecting future ones -- like right now, currently in the game there's a thing where during one case you can take an option that burns down the local highschool, and if you accept a later case that takes place in the school it will play out totally differently as, well, you burned it to the ground. There's not too much of that right now but apparently a lot more interactions like that are on the table as the game progresses through early access, and it's one of the things I'm most looking forward to, so maybe wait a while to check it out if you're not completely sold on just the art and atmosphere? Another thing I really like is that the game was also built from the ground up with moddability in mind and the last patch included steam workshop support. It's meant to be very very easy for players to add in new enemies, new events, or even build new stories and cases from the ground up in a very modular way, basically like shuffling in an "expansion deck" of cards in a physical game. I really look forward to seeing what people do there!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Begemot posted:

I played a bit of One Step from Eden earlier today, and it was fun but I felt like I was just mashing spells while I focused mostly on dodging attacks. That got me to like the third area, so it doesn't seem super punishing, but it is just a lot going on all the time.

Seems like the sort of thing where you'll eventually get a feel for stuff like enemy activity and which symbols correspond to which spells, and then it'll feel easier to handle. But it's just so fast paced with so many thing happening right off the bat, it gets overwhelming quickly.

Yeah now that I've spent a few hours with it I've gotten much more used to the pace. You're definitely right that once you learn what certain enemies do and how attack patterns work it becomes possible to start pulling off really cool poo poo, but the game definitely does not pull its punches.

And man, yeah the game is basically 100% combat, but there's a LOT of combat content there. I've unlocked 2 extra characters (out of like 12 total) and they play completely differently than the starter character (like the shield lady who doesn't have a basic attack but instead has a guard/parry button), AND they all have unlockable alternate loadouts to switch things up even more. There are a ton of bosses who have completely different attack patterns depending on how late in the game you encounter them, tons of new unlockable spells, Slay The Spire style "ascension" modes..... it's a seriously impressive package. It's always hard to tell at first but I have a feeling this is a game I'll be playing on and off for a really long time.

(also, if you want to save a few bucks it's $16 down from $20 if you buy it through Humble)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Superanos posted:

The missions in GTA V are heavily scripted and will make you fail if you do anything incorrectly, sometimes even choosing another route to your destination. Car chases are the most obvious examples of scripting - the enemy's car is rubber banded until you have reached a certain point where the script decides you can now catch the guy.

This doesn't happen often in the PS2 era GTA games.

I have very fond memories of some San Andreas mission (I think it's when the two gangs are having a peace meeting and it gets busted by the cops?) where there was a chase/combat sequence I found really difficult as a kid, and then I tried just planting claymores on the enemy cars before the chase started and detonated them as soon as they got in and I was so proud that it worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I have a duplicate code for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen from the Capcom bundle if anyone wants it. I've been playing the poo poo out of it since I am currently stuck in my house, and it's a great game. Highly recommend snagging up this copy if you want to play the Saints Row 2 of Dark Souls'.

I already have this, but just chiming in to say hope it goes to a good home. It's like if a Japanese developer tried to make a Eurojank RPG. Weird, wonderful game.