Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bold of you to assume I've cleared my 2017 backlog.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apologies if this has been discussed already, I'm not trying to open a can of worms or anything. I picked up the Halo Master Chief collection late last year and finally loaded it up to play it, and it is demanding I sign in with a Microsoft Account (and also there was no exit button, I had to task manager my way out). Is there a way to NOT do this, because I don't have one and have no intentions of making one.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

dmboogie posted:

better hit that refund button because you need a microsoft account

Yeah guess I better. Thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

Activision wants them to put out more games and make more money while also spending less money to do so

You know on an intellectual level I've always understood why people need trigger warnings, but until I read this post I never truly experienced that need for myself :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Gonna start The Witchehhhh 3 today, any mods that are absolutely essential?

I'm not joking when I say get the "scabbards for everyone" mod. Every sword in the game has a specific scabbard but the base game only gave them to Geralt if I remember right. The mod gives all the NPCs the relevant scabbard for their sword and for some reason it makes a huge difference to immersion. At least it did in my case anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't care what anybody says, I loving love that song and this video made me extremely happy :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Kakarot is definitely a bummer. I'm a sucker for even the most menial DBZ filler plots, so I would love a game that is slavish in re-telling all that stuff.

That is, assuming the gameplay is at least mildly entertaining.

Stop letting Cyberconnect develop games! They aren't good at it!

Tangentially related, playing AC: Odyssey with their naval combat, large islands for exploration, constantly refreshing mercenaries in a tiered power list with different abilities, and established power structures you can topple made me realize that the perfect structure already exists for a fantastic One Piece game I will probably NEVER get :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Azran posted:

I really like short, replayable games like Into the Breach, Dungeon of the Endless, FTL or Invisible Inc where you unlock more characters/equipment as you go on, but I haven't had much fun with traditional roguelikes (mostly because most of them have kinda ugly UIs and that's a major bummer for me). Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Any ideas?

Have you tried Hades? It's a blast, looks real pretty, and is relatively short at the moment though they're still developing stuff for it. It's one of the only Early Access games I ever got and I don't regret it in the slightest.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah Noita is really loving good too, though as noted your entire inventory resets every time you die and it is pretty reliant on the particular gameworld you get giving you access to the right combination of things to make real progress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ripper Swarm posted:

I couldn't agree more, as long as you mean player guns.

Sitting in a parked car across the street and getting rid of every guard in a compound by using the drone to start gang1 vs gang2 vs SWAT threeway fights somehow never got old :allears:

The moment I figured out cops could get through EVERY door no matter how tight the security was, AND that I had the ability to frame people locked away behind secure doors with horrible crimes, was a very good day.

I think the "Google (but not)" HQ mission literally involved me just casually walking from the reception to the secret lab or whatever it was after having the cops arrest everybody in my way and leave all the doors open for me :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

That said when you are in the zone and parrying and dodging a boss' attack pattern perfectly after he has pushed your poo poo in like ten times in a row you feel amazing.

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1166486029966172166

:hellyeah:

Was my game of the year in 2019, I absolutely loved everything about Sekiro.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Too Shy Guy posted:

Disco Elysium is up in the Weeklong Deals if you've foolishly not grabbed it yet, along with gems like Noita, SYNTHETIK, and Sundered. I got a big roundup list right here for ya.

Disco obviously everybody should get but just adding on to Too Shy Guy's recommendation of Noita, which is goddamn great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wow, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap looks EXACTLY as I remember it from 1989, what the hell changes did they make? The graphics are IDENTICAL to how I remember. I'll just hit this button that shows the original graphics to prove this point!

:stare:

Also they kept the ending where Wonder Boy gets to go home and the text says good night :3:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 29, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Begemot posted:

Also, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 came out today, and so far it looks and feels like a very solid musou game. Doesn't cover as much of the One Piece story as the last one, but that's hardly the main goal. That series is ridiculously long, nearing 1000 chapters of the manga, so it makes sense that they're focusing more on the recent stuff.

Literally steal the code from AC: Odyssey and turn it into a One Piece game, BANDAI NAMCO you cowards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A friend bought me NIOH at the last big Steam sale, and I finally got around to playing it today. It feels like a really off-brand Dark Souls on first impression, and I was kind of shocked to see it came out as recently as 2017. Does it improve after the Tower of London and I just need to get over the initial hump or is this indicative of the game going forward? I'd like to give it a proper chance, especially considering it was a gift, but not if I'm gonna be banging my head against the same wall for 20-30 hours.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Xaris posted:

I personally did not like it a all. generally what you see is what you get. there is virtually no enemy variety and you will see the same chained dick n balls boss, but now two. the level design kind of stays the same mushy gray/navy blues, and rng loot inventory management doesn't get better. the real 'hook' is the combat but if you aren't into it, it doesn't really change.

Thanks, doesn't sound like my type of thing sadly. I will give it another try just on the off-chance something clicks, but it sounds like wherever I end up stopping playing I won't actually be missing out on anything I won't have already seen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

We haven't even got the official announcement that Yakuza 7 is coming to PC, but we know its on the way. It'll come, eventually.

It's got a Steam Store listing though no release date yet.

But yes, goddammit announce the 3-6 PC versions (on Steam!) Sega you cowards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sega Exec: Let's go with the original screen resolution.
Tech: But... that was 160 × 144...
Sega Exec: Did I loving stutter?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Magnificent :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So Dragon Age Inquisition is finally available on Steam: how has it held up in a post-Witcher 3 world? Worth playing still? I loved Origins, never played 2, and I remember people raving about Inquisition when it first came out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sinteres posted:

If you're not an obsessive completionist

gently caress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

Don't do it. Don't give me hope.

They're playing chicken with Sega to shame them into announcing the PC releases of Yakuza 3-6.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Bundle for Racial Justice and Equality over 700 weird things from itch.io we've been talking about it for pages now. Has legit cool games in it like Village Monsters, Night in the Woods, Oneshot, and more

Included in this bundle is the greatest game ever made.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember the original Mirror's Edge being a blast right up until the point that they forced combat on you, despite the entire game plot AND mechanics wise seemingly designed for being a runner who AVOIDS getting into fights and ideally never gets spotted at all.

Does Catalyst do the same thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

Technically no because running combat is a focus right upfront from the beginning.
I feel like it flows well once you get used to it but there's a lot of people that don't like it.

Oof yeah, that was my least favorite part of the first game so doesn't sound like my type of thing, sadly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

I also went through my steam library and put together the following list of “good games I really should’ve played by now”, and would like hear suggestions on what to play next. Some of this list is pretty shameful...

Of the ones I've played, I'd recommend most highly:

Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
Tomb Raider 2013
Prey (newest one)

In that order. They're all great, but Asylum is the oldest so probably the most "archaic". The Tomb Raider reboot is superb and probably the prettiest of the games, but Prey is a masterpiece and the most fun to play. That might make you decide to reverse the order!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arkham City is the best of the three as an overall game, but Arkham Knight is great too and while being forced to do the Batmobile stuff is annoying, the actual gameplay part of it is perfectly fine. It just feels like the game when they finally jammed just a little too much of EVERYTHING into it.

I love those games though, even Arkham Origins is fun despite being made by a different studio and clearly not having the polish of the other games.

Edit: But yes, do NOT play them back-to-back, you will get major burnout.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sankara posted:

I really enjoy the combat of the Arkham games, but the whole "Batman" part is not something I'm fond of. The "Hand of Fate" games have similar combat, and those are great. Are there any other games in that vein?

I know this is the Steam thread and a lot of very good alternatives have already been listed, but if you have a PS4 I do highly recommend the new Spider-Man game, which features Arkham style combat and is a pure and wholesome love letter to the Spider-Man character.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do any other games use anything like Shadow of Mordor/War's Nemesis system? It's such a wonderful thing in the game even if sometimes the game thinks some guy you killed 70 hours earlier and forgot about was your ultimate enemy and brings them back for dramatic revenge in the climax.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Hot take: Kuze was the 2nd best part of Y0's story

That one Boss going,"I am a man who lives life purely for its pleasure and to have a good time, unlike my compatriots" only to be almost immediately followed up by Kuze (one of his compatriots!) driving shirtless down a sewer pipe on a motorbike screaming Kiryu's name because he wants to joust was :kiss:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Release the PC versions of 3-6, Sega you cowards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I know it was latter cosmetic DLC but I always laugh when I think about this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgjQh7Dt1q0

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zereth posted:

And this is when he's not just shooting people in the head with a gun.

Did they ever "fix" the thing where you could arrest hopping vampires then lock them in the trunk of your car and drive it off a cliff? :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gave NIOH another try, cleared through The Tower of London and beat the first boss.... at which point the game apparently jumps back in time and immediately loads up a tutorial to actually show you how the fighting works :psyduck:

My loving childhood, that final blip of original theme music... oh my God I played the poo poo out of this game when I was a kid :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sekiro is pretty much the game NIOH wanted to be, in some respects.

Got to admit part of me just wants to reinstall Sekiro and replay that for like the 5th time. Ghost of Tsushima looks great but I think that is going to be console only?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah okay, I'm bouncing off Nioh pretty hard. I got to the Boss at the end of the fishing village and after a few times getting destroyed I figured my strategy was the wrong one because I was getting nowhere. I looked up how to fight him and apparently I'm using exactly the right strategy but the fight is just an exercise in frustration. It's just a matter of taking forever to chip away at his health bar combined with him easily killing me with two shots/only having four elixirs, so I've just been left in an endless series of repetitions of running to the Boss, fighting for 5-10 minutes doing very little damage, getting KOed by a single shot after running out of elixir, repeat.

Whatever it is about Dark Souls games that makes me willing to put up with multiple deaths to get past a Boss I'm just not feeling with Nioh. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

is it the boss with the ball & chains? that's easily one of the worst bosses of the game and it's right near the beginning for no real reason.. they really hosed up big on that

That's the one yeah, really small room to fight in, he swings his chains in a full circle if you get behind him, you can bait him into attacking on one side and leaving the other exposed but his health bar is massive and it takes forever to whittle him down.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anno posted:

Also if it hasn't been posted I see that the sad cat/robot cyberpunk game, Stray, also has a page.

I am gonna play the kitty-cat game :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have hundreds of hours across both the new Hitman games and I still felt a pang of regret after I completed every possible achievement/challenge and decided to uninstall to free up Hard Drive space... like maybe I still hadn't quite gotten enough gameplay out of it or something :allears:

The Hitman games are just incredible, please everybody play them. They're so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The correct way to play Hitman is to install it and play it. :hai: