Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

repiv posted:

If I remember correctly it was just HL1, its expansions, and the semi-official mods like CS, TFC and DOD. CS:S launched shortly before HL2 as well.

also you could play games like chess directly inside the chat client :rip:

How does this gamestate even happen??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I talked poo poo about Pathologic 2 in this thread awhile back but I gave it another go and feel the need to rescind my prior statements.

This game is amazing. It took awhile to "click" but once it did I can't put it down. It's one of the most engaging games I've ever played.

There's nothing I've played that I can think of to even compare it to, it's like Disco Elysium levels of worldbuilding/storytelling combined with the stress level of the RE2 remake segments where Mr. X is chasing you, except its the whole game and you're also starving to death.

And just when you think you have it figured out and you're stable the game ratchets it up over again. Its been a long time since I've played something so frantic, stressful and engaging. It constantly makes you weigh risks and make hard decisions, and pays off big time if you persevere.

This game is fantastic and I feel really bad for making GBS threads all over it prematurely.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 11, 2020

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

ZearothK posted:

One of us! One of us!

Just beat it on intended difficulty over the weekend. The difficulty spikes aren't too bad - I death spiraled twice I think, including the first play through where I was just loligagging day 1, because gently caress it I can just buy food I know how games work. But if you just accept some folks are gonna die the stress becomes tolerable and engaging.

I got to the end without the deal, although quite a few kiddos died, I didn't build up any schmowders and wasted them on guys that were infected and out of the way to save time running to give them medicine. I also didn't upgrade my brewery enough to output enough serums in time. Also lossed Bad Grief really, really early to some terrible luck. I might give it another go and plan for all of the kids getting infected automatically. I Loved this game and really sad there's some doubt about getting the other two full playthroughs. I'd love to go through again and see the other characters points of view.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Just buy a PS5 and a gaming computer. Bing bong problem solved

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Is Bard's Tale IV any good?

For reference I liked: Etrian Odyssey games, Wizardy, because of deep combat, difficulty, party customization, and exploration.

I bounced off of: Witcher due to simplistic combat and progression and overly detailed story being involved with everything - I don't mind narrative but I don't like when it's the focus above everything else. Legend of Grimrock games because of the excess of puzzles, I felt like it was more an escape room game than an RPG and the combat was simple. I don't mind puzzles but constantly having to solve them is annoying.

Is Bard's Tale worth picking up?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Someone in the Old School PC RPG thread did a play-by-play of their own playthrough of it and the answer is a resounding no. It's absolutely godawful. Like, painful to play awful. Don't even bother, it's not worth playing even if you got it for free.

Awww drat :( it looked up my alley. Thanks,

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

Check out StarCrawlers maybe?

Is this pretty good? It looks like it got mediocre reviews on launch but there’s been a lot of updates.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Star Crawlers is okay. It gets pretty grindy and gameplay effectively ends about 2/3 of the way through when your team hits max level but it's fine for what it is.

:( is there anything modern that can even start to compare to Wizardry? I've waited for so long.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Adhibhautika posted:

Check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/985950/Operencia_The_Stolen_Sun/

It's also on gamepass where I've been playing it.
I haven't really put a lot of hours in it yet, but it scratches the itch better than Bard's Tale 4 I think.

It's kinda like an eastern european wizardry. A bit janky but I like the folklore in it.

Just ignore the horrible voice acting in the tutorial area.

I’ll take a look this looks interesting

GrandpaPants posted:

Etrian Odyssey? (please port these to PC thanks)

I was always more a Might and Magic guy and I would probably kill for World of Xeen but with a modern UI because wow is equipping poo poo in that game frustrating now.

Played the hell out of those - I wish they’d put em on PC too not a fan of DS - or even just switch.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Black Mesa rules and the new Xen is amazing (although it drags in a couple areas pretty bad). Half-life 2 sucks and Black Mesa made me realize why.

I played through half-life 1 atleast 5 times in my teens and when 2 came out I was excited as gently caress, but only played through it once and felt like I was forcing myself through it. I couldn't remember why. But when I played through Black Mesa I got excited, and went back to play HL2 again and now I remember why.

Half-life was touted for never taking control away from the player but really what made the story telling style work was the narrative itself was first-person. It never explained poo poo. It just showed you everything. Nobody ever said "aliens are invading" that was apparent because of all of the aliens, or "marines are here to kill us" that was real clear the first time they tried to shoot your dick off, or "this alien invasion is huge and what you saw in the complexes wasn't even scratching the surface", that was clear from the firefights between the heavy military equipment and huge rear end aliens you had to get through on the surface. It brought you to those conclusions without explaining them - the way it would really happen if you were in that situation. Better yet it managed to integrate a narrative with the gameplay.

Then HL2 added in dumb cut scenes, but they weren't "cut scenes" because you could look around while Alyx and D0g bullshitted for 5 minutes. It's full of Morgan Freeman type explanations of everything, complete with overlong uninteresting exposition and Alyx going "teehee" at you with lovey dovey eyes until I get mad it won't let you loving dome her. It felt like watching Saving Private Ryan except with a scene in the middle of the Normandy invasion where Tom Hanks falls into a crater and another solider talks to him about fascism, marxism, the human condition, and the current operation and it's goals for 10 screen time minutes in the middle of it to make sure the audience gets it.

The original half-life was so good and I think half-life 2 got such acclaim just because so many people wanted to like it but it forgot (or never realized) what made the narrative style in 1 work so well. It wasn't never losing control it was explaining the key points of the plot without having someone standing there actually explaining it.

Anyway buy Black Mesa and I'll take a number 3 medium with Sprite.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 14, 2020

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Half Life 2 does kinda suck in retrospect. It's like they took all the wrong lessons from the things people really liked about HL1. It is a grand exercise in using extensive scripting to enhance a game and while it does do that it also just makes the whole thing feel like it's on rails. Even Half-Life 1 was not completely linear, you had a choice in what order to tackle certain objectives sometimes, like turning on the power/electricity in the blast pit to fry the big tentacle monster. The most you can do in Half-Life 2 is get out of the car or boat to explore side setpieces, which isn't really a 'player choice' when the only decision is either stop and do it or just don't experience that bit of gameplay.

Agreed - especially on taking everything subtle that 1 did that people said they liked and just doing the everliving poo poo out of it in 2

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Yeah thinking that blowing away a whole town in Fallout 2 is a mistake I think we all made once. Let's wait around 10 minutes for each brahmin to move.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

The guy with Prey in your library you should play that one immediately, and also anyone who hasn't. Prey kicks rear end. I can count on one hand the number of games I've played in the last decade where I was genuinely sad to beat it because I didn't want it to end and Prey is one of them. Goddamn that game is perfect.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Is powerwash simulator fun or is it just a meme game?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

It got a good satisfying ten hours out of me so if it is a meme it's one i'm unaware of

Alright I'll pick it up it looked kind of a fun time sink

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

What’s the consensus on pathfinder WOR?

I played kingmaker and beat it, but had a lot of gripes:

Kingdom management difficulty spike late way late in the game, same difficulty spike with casters - I went from rolling to 10s to rolling to 20s on everything out of nowhere and felt like it was such bullshit because it was like 100 hours in, not gradual nudges to indicate hey you need to tighten these things up a bit just lol gently caress you all your DC checks just went up by 10.

And tedious cryptic stuff, like your whole party gets paralyzed by everything now on a will check, and this spell freedom of movement that you never had to use is now critical for the rest of the game at 100% uptime. We’re not gonna tell you any of this either you just gotta try stuff until you find something that works, hope you built out enough spell slots for the uptime requirements on these spells that went from useless to absolutely critical.

Also just the time sink of it all, like 140 hours made up of a lot of staring at a map, trash fights, having to rest over and over while traveling.

That all being said I put in the 140 hours to beat it and liked a lot of stuff about it. The cool epic feeling fights, set pieces, combat was really good when it was good, loved the insane amount of builds and party configurations you could do. But at the end of it I was exhausted.

Did WOR clean up a lot of this stuff or is it kind of the same complaints? I can’t really find any reviews or write ups that dive into these things.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

Everything you're complaining about is still there, plus it's pretty buggy right now. The bugs will be fixed but not the other stuff (besides the kingdom management, which got replaced with a kinda lame HoMM clone) since a lot of those are actually sort of kinda draws. The whole multi hundred hours game with a bunch of guide dangit bullshit and trap builds and all.

Thanks for all the comments, looking I'm gonna pass on WOR for awhile.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Gloomhaven is good. Loved the board game but getting 4 people together consistently to play a 100 hour board game is hard.

Got excited in 2019 when I saw it was getting a PC adaptation, then subsequently disappointed that it was gonna be some weird, early-access roguelike poo poo that’s missing 90% of the game’s content.

But now it’s complete and good, and the full campaign is gonna launch this month. Still time to grab it at early access prices.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Sininu posted:

Is it still just as good with 2 people?

Yeah and the base game is single player you control up to 4, or it has online 2-4 players. All the scenarios adjust to the number of players.

It’s a host system though that’s kind of janky, no match making, and you need outside methods of voice chat, but they’ve been continually adding features so this stuff is probably on the way. The multiplayer went from an unplayable mess to perfectly good over the course of a year.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Superanos posted:

Deathloop got a new patch with DLSS support. I guess I will give that game a go when it gets its first sales. People calling it a bad PC port turned me off.

Along with the others I have a 3080 ti and it ran fine. If I turned on ray tracing it felt like it chugged a little bit sometimes but still over 60 frames with a hiccup here and there. I just turned ray tracing off though because to me it was barely noticeable anyway. It felt like they had it in as the hot new thing and not something they tweaked to work well or look good.

The game would crash all the time when I was changing my loadout but that seemed to be the only problem area, worked fine everywhere else.

That being said I felt pretty gipped paying $60 for it, there isn't $60 worth of content there. It's a solid $30 game.

e: all of this was launch week so it's probably better now. A lot of the people complaining about optimization seem to have lower end rigs. Not that it isn't a valid complaint, just saying if you're up into new gen stuff it should run fine.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I've said this a couple times but just a reminder:

Gloomhaven the boardgame is basically a crpg in a box and works really well as one. Having played the board game in a group, playing the guild master campaign on PC has also convinced me nothing is lost with 1 person controlling the entire party (other than friendships with LGS nerds).

The modes in it now have complete content and the campaign launches on the 20th and will be identical to the board game. The board game campaign has 17 classes that level up and have equipment and different builds, a long branching story line that has 90ish missions (not all of which you play depending on decisions you make), a persistent upgradeable city, side quests, basically everything a crpg would have.

The closest comparison I can think of is Darkest Dungeon with the upgradeable home base setup, except a lot less repetitive and no procedural content. Each mission is part of the story line, well balanced and individually designed. It also has a cool atmospheric setting and a good (enough) storyline.

TLDR: Gloomhaven is a great crpg and you'd never know it was a board game. If turn based fantasy and/or tactical combat is your thing you should pick it up out of early access.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Hogama posted:

The major gameplay wrinkle that should be noted for new players is how it's card-based, but it's not a deck-builder per se. Each character has their own pool of cards and maximum hand size, and prior to any adventure can put together the "deck" they'll be working with. But then each character has their whole hand at the start and puts down two cards per turn - one will determine their turn order (there's a number at the middle of every card and smaller numbers go before larger numbers) and then each card is divided into two halves and you have to play the top of one and the bottom of another (you can also always use the top as a generic attack and the bottom as a generic move - and you can skip any part of an ability that's not explicitly negative to your own side) on your turn. There's some standard actions to put your discard pile back into your hand, minus one that will be "burned" (the burn pile is harder to restore to your hand but not outright impossible). When you can't put down two cards and end the turn without two cards in hand as well (meaning your discard pile is empty), then that character is exhausted for the rest of the adventure. And if all characters are exhausted then you lose the adventure (this isn't really the end of a campaign or even characters most of the time, just means you don't get the adventure rewards).

It's slightly different from the typical tactical CRPG, is what I mean.
The PC version plays very cleanly, I'll vouch for that.

Fair point I guess coming from the board game the combat system doesn't seem that alien. I guess I should say more it's a fun, competent PC game and the fact that it was a boardgame shouldn't discourage anyone from picking it up.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I love cruelty squad. It might my be my favorite game ever. Having beat that game into the ground I am sad and looking for something similar. Now I want to play hitman but I'm confused, I know there was like an episodic system and on steam there's hitman and hitman 2 and tons of other poo poo - what's the best thing to buy to just start into it?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Thas

lordfrikk posted:

Hitman 1 and 2 were episodic, Hitman 3 is non-episodic.

Each subsequent entry allows you to buy (if you don't own the games themselves) the previous game's levels to play inside the new engine. So ideally you'd buy Hitman 3 which allows you to play both H1 and H2 levels inside of it. Currently, H3 is only available on EGS, though.

However, I think there should be no problem just buying them in order as you play them, unless you care about playing in the better H2/H3 engine right off the bat and having your progress carry over.

Veotax posted:

Only Hitman 1 was episodic, the base game of Hitman 2 was released all at once, but they did release a couple of DLC chapters after release.

Mierenneuker posted:

Hitman 2 was not an episodic release, because they realized that pay model wasn't working out for them at all. The file structures are still episodic which is the main reason why Hitman 2 can be such a big download (which they fixed with the third game).

I think it's best to wait until Hitman 3's Epic Store exclusivity run out at the end of January, but if you got a itch then Hitman 1 (2016) is a good way to scratch it. It's a shame the way they sell it these days on Steam is so convoluted, because you just want the 6 episodes. You really don't need the GOTY Edition with the Bonus Campaign and the Outfits.

They had a free giveaway on the Epic Store for Hitman 1 earlier this year, if you got that you're golden.

Thanks goons I think I'll just buy 2 it's cheap enough. 3 looks cool but meh egs I'll see how 2 clicks with me then get 3 in January if I want it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm the 15th guy saying Dusk kicks rear end, and if you're at all curious about it you should buy it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

e: I also had a ton of trouble getting used to the Switch Pro button layout after being very used to the xbox button layout

This tripped me up for years then I retrained my brain to see and react to colors in the xbox prompts instead of the letters. In fact if I see a colored B I just think red, the B doesn’t register. It’s as meaningless as the color used to be when I’d read the B first.

Got rid of the xbox/switch yips for me anyway, I can switch between them no problem now.

Still real loving dumb they didn’t use the same layout I wonder if it was a patent thing or Microsoft just being Microsoft.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Physical shield and magic shield in D:OS2 frustrated me. Balanced damage party = mediocre single-target damage output, focused damage party = unbeatable trap fights. I couldn't figure out a good rounded party that was viable for every required encounter, there was always one that was designed to gently caress over whatever type of party I built. Or I go 50/50 and every fight is terrible because I can't kill anything fast I gotta spread my damage out.

Also CC was useless with mobs being immune until you got their shields down. Having to burn down a bunch of a mobs HP before you can CC it defeats the purpose of CC. Oh you can make it rain, then shock the puddle to put a bunch of mobs out for a turn that sounds cool lol jk gently caress you it's never gonna work and your guy is useless.

Maybe there's some code I didn't crack. I managed to beat it but the whole game felt bad and a lot of the fights were just finding some way to cheese it. I know some people think that's the point but goddamn why can't they just balance it right.

I liked D:OS1 a lot better, which was disappointing because D:OS2 was a way better game overall but these couple of sticking points ruined it for me.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 30, 2021

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

you were definitely missing a lot if you thought CC was useless. We played pretty much the entire game by rushing down the weaker of an enemy’s physical/magical armor and then never letting them do anything again as soon as it was gone. The brilliance of the armor system is that it lets you have these extremely powerful statuses like knockdown and charm but makes them completely deterministic so you can plan your turn around them.

in a typical fight it was adequate to have two characters focus someone’s physical armor and the other two focus a different enemy’s magical armor, but everyone had options for both just in case. A crossbow user who could use elemental bolts; a rogue + necromancer who eventually doubled as a pyromancer since I thought that would be fun; a shield guy with polymorph who also picked up geology and could apply both physical and magic CCs; and a summoner who had…some kind of other magic, I’m not sure what all was on this one because my brother was controlling him and his list of equipped spells went off the screen but he could do physical damage if he needed to

Yeah talking about it has made me think I should give it another shot. It's been a long time since I played it. I think part of my issue is I kept trying to force strategies that worked good in D:OS1 into D:OS2 and got frustrated when it didn't work.

e: Also your approach sounds good if you want to share a general build roadmap with me, if you have one - just like which classes to dump ranks in would probably be good enough.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 30, 2021

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

There was a cel shaded looking indie first person shooter rogue-lite where you're an animal I was gonna buy, it's early access and had it's own thread. Had elements you could mix to do stuff, like poison. Can't find the thread am sad :( What's the game?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

That's it! Thank you!

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I got Deathloop on PC and there was a 50/50 chance it would crash every time I changed my loadout. Pretty annoying but not unplayable. This was right after release so it’s probably been fixed. Other than that it ran great.

Paying AAA price for a game that’s like 20 hours of mostly repeating content felt bad though.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I think halo 1 got such hype because it was the first console game you could LAN 16 people into a game and it was the first console FPS that got the now-standard dual stick control scheme to be widely adopted. The game introduced console players to big FPS matches with good fluid FPS controls. LANing consoles together seems ancient now, and everyone takes dual sticks for granted, but those two things were revolutionary at the time. You gotta consider Goldeneye 64 was the console multiplayer standard up to that point.

The campaign was throwaway and boring. It got good reviews but all of the reviewers also set up big LAN games as part of their process, and I think the glow of that experience rubbed off on a mediocre campaign when it came time to do a write-up.

e: Oh also it had a dedicated grenade and melee buttons. Halo set a bunch of standards of how an FPS should control that are still in place 20 years later.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 14, 2021

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

I’ve always felt I was missing something in the Halo series, although I only played the first 3. Farting around in multiplayer was great but I couldn’t get the slightest bit invested in the story of faceless army man, matrix lady and the noble alien dudes.

Nah I get that. I kind of put halo with half-life: the best thing that was ever made at the time but trying to go back and play it after 20 of it’s formula being refined and iterated on is painful. And at least in my experience the multiplayer was always the thing that made people think Halo was good. The campaign was there for when the internet went out.

E: and to go forward a bit, Halo 2 was the first console FPS you could play over the internet. I think you gotta think of it in terms of these things we love today not existing until Halo introduced them, which is why they were so well liked at the time.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 14, 2021

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

ZearothK posted:

I am going to disagree with this one, Half-Life's campaign is still one of all time greats.

I agree, half-life owns, just saying that if you sat someone down in tyool 2021 that's never played it wouldn't seem anywhere near as cool or groundbreaking to them as it did to us in '99, and similarly Halo isn't ever gonna pop with someone now like it did at your first LAN party in '01. So basically saying yeah I get why people don't understand why Halo was huge. It's hard to explain in the context of what existed in 2001 and how much better it was than anything else at the time because of all of its innovations are just standard now, and have been for decades.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

The thing that rubbed me wrong about the FF7 remake was what a pain in the rear end it was to keep buffs up. Each big fight was just switching through all my characters, refreshing buffs, then doing a combo or two before I switch to the next one to refresh buffs. I quit using spells after awhile unless it was necessary.

It seemed like it wanted you switch characters constantly, and constantly switching between menus and Devil May Cry-lite combat was jarring and hard to get any kind of rhythm going. It was a sloppy effort that tried combine deliberate turn based combat and sword swinging action games.

Everything outside of combat was great. I hope the next one recognizes that some better AI tuning would make the combat a lot more fun. Having to fumble through menus constantly to do something as routine as "keep haste up" while trying to dodge and get combos off and stuff was just too much.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I mean you need a special materia just for a trash autocure to a low party member. Every other party based action RPG just lets you automate this poo poo. If people want to fumble through menus to give precise orders they still can but why force it on everyone.

FF7 remake could have been an all time great game if they just implemented the standard stuff that keeps party based combat flowing.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

FF7R's combat system is great as is and would be worse if it automated your party members more.

Yeah I get why some people like it just throwing my vote in the ugh nope column.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the j stand for

I know he's being facetious but it's a technically correct statement, "western" style RPGs have you make your own characters and the path through the game has multiple different branches, usually like a choose your own adventure book.

Conversely, Japanese style "jrpgs" are full of sexualized ambiguously aged girls whose figurines are on the desk of that coworker you're most worried is gonna show up to work one day and shoot you.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i wasn't being facetious

actually yeah you're right mb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Hitman 3 probably would have charted too if it was on Steam. Lot of big studio single player focus games came out, just lots of them skipped steam.

Speaking of assassin games Cruelty Squad should have charted :( I know it looks like total poo poo at first but if you endure a couple levels til it clicks it’s one of the best indie games ever.