Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ryuga Death posted:

Will I be able to run Disco Elysium fine at 1440p with my specs? Feeling like my machine is starting to show its age.

i7 7700k
gtx 1070

It’s not that intensive. I am running it with an i5 3570K and a GTX 1060. You’ll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

americanzero4128 posted:

I want to give a shout out to goon extraordinaire, Kragger99, for giving me a key for Mafia 3 + DLC. I'll check that out after I beat Black Mesa, now that Xen has finally been released. I just finished Blast Pit and am digging the facelift on Half Life.

Any recommendations for a $5 or under game that is not a roguelike, maybe flew under the radar (AKA not a AAA game), and bonus points, is in the 10-20 hour range? Hard to find time for 80+ hour games these days with kids, job, house to fix up, etc. etc. I'm way more appreciative these days of games that tell their story in a concise manner and don't drag on forever.

Have a preferred genre other than non-roguelike?

Some things that are currently under $5 that were well received by goons:

Life is Strange Season 1: ~15 hours to try and save your friend as a photography student who can rewind time

Paper Please: ~5 hours to complete your job as an immigration/customs officer for Arstotzka

Antichamber: ~8 hours to puzzle through an Escher acid trip

SOMA: ~10 hours to complete this new adventure from the Amnesia crew

Hotline Miami 2: ~10 hours of rootin', tootin', and shootin' (I never did play the second one but it seems to be more of the first, which is also on sale if you've never played it)

The Shadowrun (isometric cyberpunk RPG) or Banner Saga (tile battle RPG with choices that drive narrative) games should also fit your requirements.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow thanks for trying to download a 90 GB update, Monster Hunter World. Came back to a failed download and 2 MB free on my SSD.

What game is this?

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 10, 2020

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Hackan Slash posted:

Yeah, and as an fyi the high res textures requires 8 gb of vram.

I don’t think I have those installed. I also didn’t purchase the Iceborne expansion, so the 90 GB update was even more surprising.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Stickman posted:

I would never wish PSNow Bloodborne on anyone. It’s a decent introduction/demo but it has too much input lag to play seriously. Just buy a used ps4 for $80 instead - it’s worth it.

Also, no Old Hunters...

Where in the hell can I get a used PS4 for $80? I wanted one for the FF7 Remake.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

No, you want one for Bloodborne. FF7 is just a nice bonus.

I’m unfortunately not a fan of any Souls-type gameplay

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D1E posted:

Is a GTX 1080 still a decent video card? Is $200 a fair price for one?

Genuinely asking for thread input:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911375

I'll revise based on feedback. Thanks!

I paid that for a new 1060 not that long ago. Seems like a good price. I might be interested!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’ve got an old 660 and have been trying to talk myself into either a 1060/1080 or springing for a 2060s. I miss being able to buy things in the steam sale!

Although I suppose buying games I lack the technical capability for so they sit on a backlog for years is very on-brand steam use.

I guess I'll have a 1060 to sell after receiving the 1080 from D1E. I jumped from a 660 to a 1060 mid 2018 and it opened a whole new world of games to play.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

I've got a 1070 and it can still run most games near-max at 1080p 60, with exceptions. Notably RDR2, though part of that might be my i5 processor. It's getting due for an upgrade/rebuild but I'm kinda waiting for the cards and CPUs that come out after the next wave of consoles.

My main issue now is my ancient i5 3570K. Thinking about the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, but that also means new motherboard and RAM. I can never justify the latest and greatest for components, because that is just an insane amount of money. $200 for a GTX 1080 is a good bargain that should last quite awhile.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lost fingat playing Soldat

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Soysaucebeast posted:

How come none of y'all told me I could use the Steam Link app to play my games on a completely different network than my PC? I thought they'd both have to be one the same wifi/wired connection but apparently that's not the case and I can play my games on my phone on my work wifi. I'm gunna need to start bringing my new bluetooth controller with me and just game on my lunch break.

Edit: You know, now that I'm thinking about it, is there any way to run Steam Link through a thumb drive or a web browser? I love that I can play remotely on my phone, but if I could play remotely on my work PC without downloading anything to it that would be even better. I figure the answer's probably no, but it never hurts to ask.

Some Steam games don’t require the client to launch, so you could throw the game folder on a flash drive and go to town. I’ve only ever done this with Caves of Qud, but anything from this list should work: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

You can remotely access your machine through a browser with the Chrome remote app and other similar programs, but I can’t imagine it would be very smooth.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

Stoneshard just released into Early Access. Someone play it and tell me it's good.

Hell yeah, I’ve been patiently waiting for this. I’ll give it a go tonight and post impressions.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Whoops, didn’t know the base price of Wolcen was going to jump once it left EA. I held off since there were some potential concerns with the later acts. Is there a good streamer/reviewer to follow for release changes?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is Borderlands 3 enjoyable solo? I can grab it for $20 from Epic, so if the story and shooting is fun, that's enough for me.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Phetz posted:

Played through the whole campaign and DLC with multiple characters without touching multiplayer and had a blast. If you liked BL2 then this one’s a no brainer. The story and characters really didn’t click with me but the gameplay more than made up for it in my opinion.

I did like BL2, but I used CheatEngine to kick up the run speed and drop tables, because holy moly. If those are improved in BL3 then I am all over it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think I had more legendaries drop in my first fifteen levels of BL3 than I did in all my time playing BL2 before I cheat engined it.

That sounds great. Is there a recommended edition? I can get the base game for $20 or game + season pass and all digital extras for $40.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Zathril posted:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is on sale at the moment, is it decent?

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's the closest thing to Final Fantasy Tactics I've seen in awhile. There are interesting classes and you can mix and match secondary, reactionary, etc. skills.

Some of the extra options can add a lot of difficulty to the game if that's your thing. You can also edit an INI file (the game files provide instructions) to make things as easy/hard as you want. I personally kicked up the job point earn rates a bit.

The story is standard fare, so if you are looking for something deep in your tile battler I would suggest something else.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

OzFactor posted:

I care very little about the story, so here's the real question: can you skip and/or speed up cutscenes?

You can indeed straight up skip cutscenes, or fly through the dialog as needed.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

Having played a couple of the beta versions of the end product in the last month or so, I have to say:

Black Mesa is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD.

As a huge HL1 fan, it was worth the long wait for this. It’s really a fantastic product and everyone should take a look.

Yeah I have not been following this at all and wow, what an upgrade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIJich73NY

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Whenever I do that I find myself humming the tune of “Space rear end in a top hat” to myself. God drat that’s a good game.

Oh my God, Space rear end in a top hat is a decade old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I have not been able to put Borderlands 3 down. This series makes great bad guys.

On an insane side note, does anyone else get a tingle in your dingle when jumping down from high places in this game? I don't know if it's Zane's yell or leg flailing, but I feel it in my bones for a split second. I've had it happen to me in games before but this one gets me more than others. I'm not afraid of heights - it's the same feeling I get going down an intense rollercoaster, climbing the Sydney Harbor bridge, ziplining, etc. but on a much smaller scale.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How did Red Dead Redemption 2 turn out on PC? It's on sale for another 4 hours. I am blasting through Borderlands 3 and may need something else to play soon. My wishlist is full of games that don't release until summer for the most part, so it's either that or Doom Eternal I think.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

haldolium posted:

Pretty much the best open world game there is. Make sure you have some great hardware, otherwise you're in for some tuning to get it proper running on just 1920x1080. Still looks better then as on consoles though

I have a 3570K with 16 GB RAM and a GTX 1080. Is my CPU going to bottleneck me?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I got it on PS4 when it came out and I was so dissapointed. The controls suck, the missions are boring, and a lot of the “realism” bits are completely immersion breaking. It’s not immersive when I keep having to think about convoluted systems or check button prompts to make sure I don’t draw down on someone instead of talking to them. And the bounty system is a complete mess- I had someone report me for murder... because I killed their kidnappers. Which cost me all the money I had built up. It’s a Brink-level letdown for me.

Ok that sounds pretty bad. I also found a review from last month where there are hacking concerns. Trolls teleporting others, spawning cougars/bears on people, etc. Though I would hope the online component is separate from the single player campaign.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

It is a very CPU intensive game and a weirdly optimized one atop that.

Good to know. I will be getting a Ryzen 5 3600X in the future, so I'll definitely hold off for now if it's CPU intensive.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You'll either loving Iove it, like most people, or you'll think its boring as hell, like that one guy. It depends on the type of gamer you are. And, unfortunately, the first two hours of the game (or more) are more or less a tutorial so a 2 hour refund window might not be enough to properly judge. For some reason I recall that you enjoyed Thi4f so I think its safe to say that you would enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2.

Hah, I can't believe that stuck with people. I am indeed the guy that didn't think Thief was that bad. I am passing on RDR2 for now until I get a better CPU.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Q-sixtysix posted:

Man, I really like Darkest Dungeon a lot

Such great voice work: “TO FIGHT THE ABYSS, ONE MUST KNOW IT.”

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm having fun but I would really appreciate it if covid would stop so I could have my brain back. Being lowkey panicked all the time isn't healthy and I don't enjoy it.

I have been in a game slump lately as well. Some of that is likely due to the quarantine. I can’t seem to get interested in or excited about playing anything at the moment. Rather than find something new, I decided to go back and play some classics. Today I started a ROM hack of Final Fantasy 6 called Brave New World. The new mechanics really spice things up. It also seems slightly more difficult without being punishing. I don’t know how much nostalgia is talking here, but FF6 still stands the test of time. I’d recommend checking out some of your favorite games from the SNES/PSX (hell may as well include PS2) era - most don’t require a lot of brain power or fast reflexes.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of builders, Terraria is definitely an option and one of the best games that it is possible to buy for only ten dollars. I have put hundreds of hours into that game, there is so much to do.

For anyone that played Terraria at launch and put it down, give it another shot. The dev put an insane amount of content in for free since then, and continues to do so. It’s a whole new game. The latest update is slated to release this year. This is supposedly the final update, 9 years after launch, and it’s a big one.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiovorax posted:

This really isn't an overstatement, by the way. The game has literally triple the content from when it started, all added in free updates and patches. It's the best ten dollars I ever spent on a game, in terms of pure value for the money.

I’ve honestly never seen a dev so dedicated to his game. Terraria is often in the top 25 for number of concurrent players on Steam, so that may have something to do with it.

Speaking of Terraria, does anyone know if it’s possible to reset achievements? I know the SAM tool can untick them, but does that allow them to be achieved again through normal play? I’d like to start from scratch if possible. Achievements often help me discover things I wouldn’t find on my own, so a reset would be nice.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Artelier posted:

On a side note, I have definitely walked into walls with VR. It's very convincing.

Some games are also like "Stand on tall building and jump off if you want" and even just the standing part can get to people with vertigo, even though the graphics are obviously fake and you can reach down and fell the floor all around you.

I once saw a demo of a tight rope (maybe it was a board?) between two buildings. A guy was trying to walk over it when a bystander lightly pushed his shoulder. I’ve never heard a grown man scream so loud.

Your brain does incredible things to account for what you are seeing, smelling, hearing, and feeling. If you trick a few of those senses, it will fill in the rest to complete your reality.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you are like me and have an interest in playing Black Mesa now that it's complete, check your Humble Bundle account. My most recent purchase on that site was the April 2017 Humble Monthly for The Witness. I just noticed that Black Mesa was apparently included. I unfortunately gave away everything but The Witness, but you may have better luck.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Volte posted:

I got most of the way through The Witness and then stopped because I got stuck on the few remaining puzzles, and with nothing else left to do and the charm of wandering around the same areas over and over wearing thin, I ended up just fizzling out and never finishing it. For a really well done open-world puzzle game (though not the same type of puzzles as the Witness as it's more adventure game style) check out Supraland. It's a silly Metroidvania that managed to engage me enough that it became the only game on Steam that I actually got all the achievements for. It's by the guy that made the Notpron flash puzzle game from back in the day if anyone remembers that.

Speaking of exploratory puzzle games, I have to recommend Antichamber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsnm2nOnso

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is Wolfenstein Youngblood broken as hell for anyone else? I gave it a shot on Xbox Gamepass and my character constantly continues to walk/run after I stop pressing a key. Sometimes it sends me completely across the room while ignoring any other key presses. It's literally unplayable.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Do you have a controller connected to the PC and are the sticks sunk in slightly

A 360 controller was connected, but not on. It was never the same direction. It felt like it was repeating recent key presses. I also thought it may have been tied to the matchmaking netcode, but I was playing with an AI partner. It’s apparently not an issue for anyone else, so I’ll have to try again tomorrow.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Trickyblackjack posted:

Also, why don't the villains shoot batman in the exposed area of his mask???????

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ragequit posted:

Is Wolfenstein Youngblood broken as hell for anyone else? I gave it a shot on Xbox Gamepass and my character constantly continues to walk/run after I stop pressing a key. Sometimes it sends me completely across the room while ignoring any other key presses. It's literally unplayable.

I am sure nobody cares, but it turns out this was due to my aging 3570K processor. It must have been caching my inputs and making my character continue in random directions. I grabbed a Ryzen 7 3700X and a new motherboard over the weekend and the problem is gone. The 3570K had been great for everything else, even newer games than Youngblood, so that was surprising. That processor was a great value over 8 years, so I can't complain. RIP to a real one.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

It's not great. If you have an Nvidia RTX card it's worth grabbing for cheap to dick around with the ray tracing and DLSS features, but a lot of the enemies are bullet spongy unless you're always using the right gun for them and the level design is not great. You can actually navigate them, it's not New Colussus bad, but it's certainly not good.

Sounds about right. It’s fine. The levels are big and sprawling with some vertical options, but you only have a mini-map. There is no full map view which is baffling. There are only a few levels that you revisit and open up new paths in through various missions. I would give it a pass.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
They announced the final update to Terraria is going to launch on May 16. I also learned that Terraria has sold 30,000,000 copies, holy moly.

https://twitter.com/GamesRadar/status/1249808411866337281

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is 66% off in the weekly sale for $10. I know there are some here that were keeping an eye out for it to drop in price. Definitely worth a look if you like tile based tactics games. It was heavily inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics. The writing is nothing special, but the gameplay and class/skill mixing is fun.