Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Remakes/sequels/adaptations that could go either way:

Bad Boys for Life: can Will Smith's star rise again? (Yeah probably)

Last I read, Bad Boys for Life is tracking for a $45-ish million opening, and it's relatively low-budget (I think $85-90 million), so it will probably do relatively well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Apparently the plot of Dr. Dolittle is that he has to get a magic potion from the dragon in order to cure Queen Victoria from some mystery illness. Also Victoria is played by an Irish actress, haha.

And this is what happens when you have the guy who wrote and directed Syriana write a Dr. Dolittle movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

But then they have to hire the writer of The LEGO Batman Movie and the director of the recent live-action TMNT movies to do reshoots.

God, when I read that a few months ago, all I could do was be like :what:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The French, in general, have really hosed-up views regarding sex, gender roles and equality.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

aware of dog posted:

So how’s the future of streaming entertainment doing?
https://twitter.com/jessicalessin/status/1219798151487352832?s=21

:chloe:

Isn't Meg Whitman the woman who ran Hewlett-Packard into the ground?

McCloud posted:

wtf is quibi

A short-form mobile video platform that Jeffrey Katzenberg dreamed up. It launches in a few months.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Well, the second season was terrible, for one thing.

It was actually really very good, but it definitely hit a few bad lows in terms of quality here and there.

The reason it got canceled by BBC America was that absolutely no one in the world was watching it, which was somehow a step down from the first season, which merely no one was watching.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

It will only be years too late but Disney is releasing a filmed original cast stage production of Hamilton into theaters October 2021. Not exactly sure why it is taking so long when it is using an already filmed performance from 2016.

Broadway union contracts regarding filming of performances.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

he's loving up my favourite oscars running gag.

He already won for Blade Runner 2049.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shneak posted:

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1232032906362572801

I guess Little Shops of Horrors is being remade and honestly I'm pretty bored by the casting.

Billy Porter as Audrey II is a drat solid choice.

The rest of the cast ... eh. Evans has range, though, he could be a pretty fun sleazy Scrivello.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Joss Whedon's never been quite this specifically gross.

He justified his serial cheating on his wife and sleeping with his young actresses by saying that he's a man, which means he's genetically coded to conquer women.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Remulak posted:

Lasseter was a GREAT story editor with the clout to make things happen or not happen. He could demand the creatives make changes or make The Board eat it and kill/suspend/redo a project after burning tons of dough.

He was also a creepy grabber, but I suspect there is a reason that stuff came out when he did - the Pixar slate is, like Marvel, now much more explicitly communicated in advance. This means hard deadlines set earlier in a project lifetime.

Yeah, I think this is a big part of Pixar's slide into mediocrity. Lasseter absolutely had his blind spots (see his absurd love of the Cars franchise, for example), but he has a brilliant creative mind and a sixth sense for knowing what works and what doesn't. Don't get me wrong, he is a creepy-rear end son of a bitch and he has no place working in Hollywood and gently caress Skydance for hiring him, but we're now seeing post-Lasseter Disney Animation and Pixar output and the studios are very clearly still looking for a firm hand at the rudder.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn’t some studio quietly hire Lasseter not that long after he was fired?

As I mentioned in my post, he's now the head of Skydance Animation. Following his hiring, there was a staff exodus and Emma Thompson backed out of a movie with them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

got any sevens posted:

Is Anne Hathaway just in the paycheck stage of her career or what, thats like 3+ stinkers within the last 2 yrs

She's probably just coasting at this point. She's got her Oscar, she's done the big blockbuster movies, she lives on the Upper West Side in New York and she's married to an ultra-rich businessman. So I imagine she works on projects she finds interesting.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

Does Anakin even know he was immaculately conceived?

This isn't what the Immaculate Conception means (it refers to the doctrine that Mary was born without original sin).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah that's my bad, I used IC because I thought Virgin Birth was the one about Mary specifically.

Jesus Christ was the virgin birth. Mary (whose lineage is never explicitly discussed in the Bible) has traditionally been considered, at least in Catholicism, to have been conceived and born without original sin (the concept of which was heavily driven by St. Augustine, who believed that original sin is inherent due to your parents having sex), and that's the Immaculate Conception.

Oddly, the concept of the Immaculate Conception was never part of strict Catholic dogma until Pope Pius IX issued Ineffabilis Deus in the 1850s or so, which codified it and caused considerable strife between the Vatican and various Catholic sects, in large part because there is nothing in any translation of the Bible which explicitly supports it. I believe the Greek Orthodox Church still rejects it, in fact.

Okay, lessons from a childhood of Catholic education over.

Timby fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 12, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FoneBone posted:

it was probably a stipulation by the show's producers to mitigate the impact on live performances.

That's precisely what it is. Hamilton is still sold-out every drat night both on Broadway and in its touring performances (well ... it was, anyway), and for that and other shows, theaters have strict policies against recording performances. It has to do with an agreement with the Coalition of Broadway Unions and Guilds.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

They finally admit this show is basically a comic book. Ironically James Spader look less alive here than as Ultron.

A strange take, considering Spader isn't in either of those clips.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't RDJ mainly just splicing in footage of him from the 80s instead of an overlay like the others?

No, they used reference footage from the '80s but he was absolutely a CGI de-age.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

David Arquette and Courtney Cox are married in real life.

Were. They split several years ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

To the surprise of basically no one at this point, Artemis Fowl is getting savaged by critics right now.

On a semi-related note, has there been any live-action Disney film besides remakes of their animated films and the MCU/Star Wars stuff that have actually done well? There's the PotC films and maaaaaaaaaybe Tron? Those are the only ones that really come to mind.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit made a loving boatload of money. Like $330 million against a $50-something million budget. Plus merchandising.

Timby fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 12, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

But io9 gave it a pretty good review... I wonder why?

io9 is trash and always has been trash. They classify news that a movie is on hold as a spoiler, for God's sake.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Clowner posted:

I liked warm bodies

Warm Bodies was surprisingly excellent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Except for the bedbugs, those scare me.

Speaking as someone who used to manage a hotel and was the director of marketing at another one, they should.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phanatic posted:

I was blown away when I found out that treatment was written by Nick Cave. And then I became pissed that it never got made.

It's not a treatment, it's a full-blown script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

And a very, very good one. Read it, fam.

Yeah, it's batshit in all the right ways. As Cave told the story to me, Russell Crowe called him up and asked him to write it just for kicks, knowing the movie would never be made, and therefore told him not to hold back and make it as absurd as he wanted.

Nick called it one of the great accomplishments of his career.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

I feel like we're a few weeks to going back to the old Hollywood model where Disney just straight owns AMC and Paramount picks up Regal or something.

Amazon is reported to be in play for AMC. Regal is owned by a UK conglomerate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vince MechMahon posted:

The second movie is the most obvious one with this but yes. Every time Milla is not on screen on those movies you're supposed to ask where Milla is, then she shows up every time another character fails at something and succeeds. This is why the entire running joke about those movies is it's just Anderson getting the studio to make big budget jerk off material for himself, about his wife. She's hyper-competent, never fails, always gets to do the big cool thing that saves the day, and dresses sexy while doing it. Anderson directed the entire series with one hand under the table.

Funny you bring up the second one, because that's one of the two that Anderson didn't direct. :v:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tars Tarkas posted:

Also Magic 8 Ball movie!?!?

Hey, they managed to squeeze not one but two movies out of a Ouija board, this isn't the most insane thing I've read today...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barudak posted:

Harmony is already a super popular name, and I know a kid named Aural and another named Sonus. People who are into music are the foot fetishists of the naming world.

Can speak to this. I'm a musician myself, and so I know a lot of musicians and people adjacent to the music scene where I live. One of my friends has twin daughters named Melody and Lyric, and a son named Leopold Amadeus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kingo Ligma posted:

Check your tuning if chord is sounding weird. Your b string is probably out.

As someone who has broken two B strings in the past few weeks, this rings true. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Tom Waits will always be the most properly cast Renfield

Peter MacNicol in Dead & Loving It is pretty spot-on.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah Nicholas Hoult seems alright

granted the last thing I saw him in was Fury Road which i'm afraid to remember what year cuz you're gonna tell me it was 2010 and im gonna go "wtf"

Fury Road was only six years ago, 2015.

To his credit, he was giving his absolute all in the last two (incredibly lovely) X-Men movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

For some reason he did two completely different early 20th century author biopics. He was JRR Tolkien in Tolkien and JD Salinger in Rebel in the Rye.

He also played Robert Harley and Nikola Tesla. I believe he was also considered for the Turing role in The Imitation Game before it went to Cumberbatch.

Dude really loves doing biopics for some reason.