Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I haven’t been directly impacted by any of the latest fires, but the September ones were 20 kilometres on either side of me so we evacuated to the Gold Coast just in case, which of course almost immediately picked up all the smoke. It was relatively easy to buy a respirator at the time though thankfully, there weren’t any breadline style runs on them at the time so I assume the particulate levels were nowhere near what the act/vic/nsw are seeing atm.

Also here is a picture of a border collie on a navy evac ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hello I have a general question for gridlocked or any other goon that works with a regional fire service bc I’m drunk and arguing on Facebook. I’m trying to find a better source than a bunch of twitter screenshots posted by ‘Australian young greens’. This is the Facebook post I’m looking for verification for

https://www.facebook.com/163311070369261/posts/3079150745451931/?d=n

more specifically the idea that fire service personal have the freedom to override council ‘green tape’ (quick break to have a shower after typing out that phrase) when human safety is concerned and this ability is more or less concrete within each state bc it makes perfect sense for it to be tbh despite how sad it makes me. If it’s bullshit that’s fine I guess I just wanna be informed bc I’m in a wild life protection area and that owns but I also don’t want to die and I’d like to help the greens actually get a councillor elected in my ward and also id like to at least know what the QLD version of this failsafe is if it exists

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 3, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Edit: Lemon myrtle syrup and white rum pocket posting.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 3, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Gridlocked posted:

I'm not sure what you're asking for exactly

I'm real drunk and high and after posting I realised I could just vet this dudes twitter to make sure its legit and post the actual thread without the "young greens" facebook tag in order to make my point in the facebook argument so more or less i'm kind of asking for exactly what you gave me in that post, thanks! I guess in a more theoretical sense I'm more interested in how council laws interact with structures and organizations that operate on a larger scale than the council area. Its relevant here and now to this facebook argument but also to the general bee in my rear end in a top hat about cocacola mining water off of tambourine mountain I post about sometimes in auspol. I'm aware this is well beyond your kenning and I'm probably better off chatting around at the rfs to find someone who volunteers for a brigade who is also a lawyer of some sort to chew the ear off of about it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

munce posted:

It's laws and regulations so its complicated, but you can start here:

thank you, this is a good jumping off point for me at the very least for now.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I got whiplash from how quickly they switched from ‘nothing we can do it’s a state funding issue’ to ‘oh btw apart from not nickel and diming states on emergency funding here’s all the other poo poo we’ve had the power to do this whole loving time since people started losing their homes in September’

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

did research into fireproof bunkers a while back and they start at like 100k not including earth works and I'm pretty sure those are the cheap lovely ones that would still probably wind up with you dead in a serious firestorm.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

DND mods what is policy on c bombs itt now it has a new home please and thank you

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I got a laugh from a thing posted to a fb group for knitting and sewing stuff to help hosed up and displaced animals, just bc of only a moderate need for kitten onesies, understandably high need for other native stuff rn, but if you have been making KOALA MITTENS it’s ok, they have enough of those, just keep them at home for now thanks 🙏

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

PT6A posted:

Have you got a link to that group? I like knitting and I might as well do something useful with it.

I thought I posted a link to this but then I got drunk. I bet I will accidentally post it while trying to close the awful app on my phone later. Here's the group, its quite cool, I mostly just joined it trying to get opinions on orgs and courses that were worthwhile if I wanted to become an animal carer but they post a lot of cool stuff and from what I can tell if I want to look after hosed on critters I'll probably want to learn how to make a lot of this stuff

https://www.facebook.com/groups/arfsncrafts/

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Slugnoid posted:

Whatever the case I feel like the pic of smoko in a hawaiian shirt with flowers in his hair is a lasting image

Agreed

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Picture of Roos dancing in the rain for good vibes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I don’t think the animals vs people thing is exclusionary either. Most people who live here, even the vicious dumb cruel ones, have a base respect for the insane ecosystems and flora/fauna here, even if they cull Roos to protect wheat farms, a certain kind of fuckhead Australian is still likely possessing some kind of credibly human-like awe of their existence.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I still vividly remember the picture of a dude carrying a Joey through floodwater in 2011 and remember thinking it was so cool and it evoked a lot of sentiments similar to those in my above post and then it turned out he worked for a trucking company (road freight being disrupted by smacking into big packs of Roos is a major reason for the push to keep their numbers under control in a lot of non coastal areas) and his life and career was ruined bc of it so take my optimism with a grain of salt, or at least being representative of a very superficial ‘love’ for animals imo

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 7, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Gammon posted:

I'm about 11km from the CBD in Brisbane (that's what, 6-7 miles off the top of my head?) and I have bushland and scrub, including kangaroos. A firestorm might not reach the city, but it could absolutely burn everything around the CBD and cut it off.

there's not really enough densely forested stuff across and around brisbane for this tbh. I mean yeah if fire comes in from the west a lot is going to go up and it'd be scary as poo poo but it'd need to spread through a lot of suburbs without much green space to get from there to cut off the m1 or the bruce, let alone both. Even when Sarabah was absolutely blowing up the M1 never really shut down anywhere in QLD to my knowledge

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

thatbastardken posted:

gently caress, a fire in d'aguilar state forest could burn right up to indooroopilly

yeah tbh I have to assume this is p much the worst case for brisbane specifically. The redlands thing I'm not sure about bc not only are all the big stretches of scrub between there and Brisbane CBD quite small, and split up, they're all very accessible and essentially 100% recreational space as opposed to lamington or d'aguilar where a huge chunk of it is inaccessible to vehicles

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

even now that I look at the map I have to assume Wivenhoe being on the west end of d'aguilar probably means more is accessible than i'm imagining, the difference in topography between that and the border parks further south is actually quite extreme as well by the look of it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

disclosure I have not been out that way without coming down south from kilcoy so for all intents and purposes assume this analysis of the fire likelihood in SEQ is coming from a man in the pub that reminds you of but doesn't quite look like, my avatar

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check the wind direction for the next few days and compare it with your fire map, that's the real fire-spreader.

there hasn't been a real fire danger for us since september and even the last lot of fires near here was mostly in the opposite direction of prevailing winds at the time. Sarabah was the big one at the time and the main reason it burned for as long as it did and managed to get as big as it was was bc QFES just couldn't get close enough because of the terrain. accessibility is super important.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Honestly even non feral horses are pests. Beautiful pests and people don’t clear land specifically for horses like they do for other livestock but once you clear land and get horses on it, the soil density changes dramatically and growing anything except brush and scrub stuff is nigh impossible

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Tornhelm posted:

He should be going off on the protesters for wasting emergency service personnel that could have been deployed elsewhere it would have made a difference instead of having to cover the protesting fuckwads who should have delayed their rallies until the country wasn't completely on fire.

Oh yeah... for sure

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

NOT

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

All firefighters are heroes

All cops are ???

You piece of poo poo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

think of all the unmurdered black teenagers and unraped sex workers bc of these protests

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

peoples dogs, roaming free in their backyards unriddled with semi-automatic bullet holes, cops wives having a quiet one watching tv instead of having their arms broken it makes me loving sick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

there are underage children NOT being molested by the NSW police force RIGHT NOW because of these loving dope smoking students

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JacquelineDempsey posted:

OK, this is gonna sound weird as hell, so bear with me.

I make weird experimental electronic music, often using field recordings of sound samples. Here's an example, "Bufo bufo bufo", which is totally made up from field recordings of the American bullfrog (I think there's some native tree frogs in there, too, it's been a while).

https://khate.bandcamp.com/track/bufo-bufo-bufo

I want to raise funds to help my Oz friends, since I'm a starving musician and literally have no money to donate myself. So I thought I'd make a few tracks, if not an album, sampling Aus wildlife, with all proceeds going to relief (both human and animal).

I have an upcoming gig on Tuesday, and want to have something ready so I can trot it out during the show, then make an impassioned plea about donating. Plus I'll stick it up on my Bandcamp. The owner of the venue is spot-on with recording the shows and uploading them to YouTube, so that would also help spread the message.

I'm looking for any suggestions for good links for royalty-free samples of Aus wildlife, or even our hero the "gently caress you from Nelligen" guy.

I just wanna help, and this is the only way I can right now.

Hey so this site is kind of the closest thing to what you’re looking for that exists. Bird calls are the main thing it has a lot of and there’s no way I can tell to arrange by ‘things that have sound recording’ and it’s an ongoing project but I’m pretty sure it counts as public domain

https://www.ala.org.au

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Let’s just train a wombat to run a dog agility course and tell them they can all do that

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It is too late to leave; seek a wombat hole

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

80mm between 9pm last night and 9am this morning, suns out and radar looks clear but the darling and granite belt both look like they got a good drenching

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I took a really crap video of a wallaby I saw with it’s Joey around the wrong way flicking it’s tail out the pouch. Apparently this is super common once they’re big enough and it righted itself not long after I took this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzUt21L7rr0

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

peanut posted:

Wishing you all a cloudy week of drizzle and hail :3

its just a bit wet

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Seems so

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

This country went from burning down to flooding so fast lmao. I know this happens every year but not usually in the exact same areas for both

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

RandomPauI posted:

If the koalas didn't want chlamydia they shouldn't have had sex out of wedlock.

It’s illegal to marry a koala you sick gently caress

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

nankeen posted:

the gold coast has always been a rainy place, and within our lifetimes they would have had as much rain as they've had now, every day, over the course of several weeks, without flooding. this is the effect of clearing right before our eyes. the soil can no longer absorb the water quickly enough because all the trees that used to suck it up are gone, it gets waterlogged, and so it overflows

this is where the new normal effect comes into play. it almost feels normal for the gold coast to flood. it's not normal. the gold coast used to be much wetter and still never flooded - remind all the boomers you know of that, most of them probably have childhood road trip memories

The level of cretinous development deals directly responsible for human deaths and unquantifiable ecological devastation on the Gold Coast specifically that will probably never come to light is daunting to think about. In the context of this specific post the flood plains that have all served as a natural overflow have been built up on and the shittiest suburbs of the gold coast are built over them. The canal system theoretically should work to replace them but in heavy rain systems like the one we just got you see the man made pipes to carry it to the ocean that run through a bunch of public parks get overloaded and suddenly every park that isn’t directly on the beach floods. It’s unreal.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I truely believe if you could quantifiably measure the corruption of a local council in a satisfactory way the GCCC would clearly top the list. They don’t even get on the radar in SEQ for scandals that actually break the courier mail but I’m convinced this is only more evidence of their deep seated poisonous enmity to their residents bc only the most evil assholes could truely succeed at corruption on the level and scale they clearly have with the resources they have available to them and not be detected by news Corp

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

You Am I posted:

In Victoria Feb and March are usually the worst months, so sadly still got plenty of time left

do any rfs or sciencey goons have a good write-up or explanation for why different states typically have different fire seasons? I've lived in the subtropics all my life so I'm very used to november/december being the worst and then the rain hits and its usually fine after that but SA and VIC weather is so loving weird and such a different climate.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Cable Guy posted:

Replies to this are really... something.

:smithicide:

I love that russel Crowe has the lady versions of reply guy in there

Nobody except her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yoloer420 posted:

I'm not sure how long it's been around but bushfire.io has the nicest maps I've seen so far.

I’m glad someone has done this, there’s nothing near me atm but one of the annoying things when seq was copping it was the fact that a big one hopped across the border near me and it was hard to keep track of it since the bulk of it wasn’t covered by the qld map and it would just cut off at the border and I’d have to switch maps to see how woodenbong was doing