Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McSpergin posted:

A guy at uni used to say two front names

Still valid

The generic name for someone with two first names is Smithy cos they're in need of a last name

Or maybe it's kinda like how we call red haired people Bluey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone have any experience with pedophile teachers back in the day?

I went to a Christian Brothers secondary school that had a lot of paedophiles but I think it had stopped by the time I went there in the nineties and most of the teachers were not brothers anymore, just normal people. Some of the brothers still getting around the place gave off some serious vibes.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm a bit worried by how common sex creep teachers seem to be

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McSpergin posted:

Post your favourite graffiti poem

Mine sticks with me from the park at a school in Bundy

"Eat soap, smoke dope, and fly home in a bubble"

Some come here to sit and think
Some come here to poo poo and stink
But I come here to scratch my balls
And read the bullshit on the walls

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
69% humidity in Melb right now

not nice

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's a cool chilli, possums ate all the leaves off our chilli plant, we moved it and they're growing back but I doubt we'll get any fruit off it

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Inner east of Melbourne just copped some golf ball hail. I thought it would ding up the car for sure but I guess cars are tougher than I thought.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Surly rabbit rules

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

naeka posted:

nope haven't been into that stuff since late 90s early 2000s, it's literally nazi's most of the way down but i kept a few records as collectors items.

Black metal diversified a lot over the last 20 years ago and there's plenty of good non-nazi stuff, sometimes you find something random that you like and have to do a bit of homework though. There's Norse mythology and there's Norse mythology

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't particularly like riding bikes but I do about 150k a week riding to and from work so I have to look after mine and I have some kind of attachment to it. Also I reckon everybody got an e-bike for Christmas based on what I see on the commute

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

It ain't even illegal, at least in WA.

I was getting pissed with a bunch of cops that I played basketball with and I mentioned I was going to ride my bike home and asked if it was illegal. None of them even knew if it was and said they'd never considered ticketing someone for riding a bike pissed. Victoria btw

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

femcastra posted:

Years ago I had a massive tumble on my bike taking a corner too fast. It was after work drinks and I distinctly remember thinking as I took the turn ‘oh wow I didn’t realise I could take this corner so fast’. Cut my face up, arms and legs all grazed and bruised. A couple of work colleagues drove past and bundled me into the car not long after.

I had the obligatory tangle with Melbourne tram tracks after work drinks. Went over the handlebars, bike landed on me and fractured my shin. Didn't go to hospital and only found out it had been fractured after an x-ray for an unrelated issue years later

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drint Blasters posted:

Mum got me an Air fryer for my birthday, any pro tips?

I've heard they're good for tempeh and tofu

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm reminded of the time that cadbury had one of those instant win a free chocolate bar competitions. They printed a message on the inside of the wrapper, but they only printed the message if it was a winning bar, and you could see a slight indent on the wrapper from the outside because of the printing.

Somewhat related, Freddo frog packaging has various endangered frog species on them starting this week. I did the 3d modelling for those frogs.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blow posted:

Can you show us the frogs?

Strangely enough Cadbury hasn't done a press release yet.
The studio has been putting some of the renders on IG though

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PaTQrn2FT/?igshid=ym45xwoexkk7

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wait you did the talking Ram on the RAMS home loans ad?

Colleagues of mine before I worked with them.
The ram has been done by several companies, used to be done by Animal Logic who made Happy Feet and other animated features.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Yes. But I can ski and fly fish and chase elk up here.

There's usually a few cold snaps where it'll drop to - 20 to - 35C or so, but generally it's 'cold' or 'loving cold' instead of 'gently caress this bullshit my backdoor is frozen shut'. And it seems to be getting milder so..

People in this thread consider Melbourne too cold

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McSpergin posted:

AUSGBS aka TCC-lite

This thread makes me feel like the squarest square

*edit* also puts my modest mental health problems in perspective

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's been 80% humidity in Melbourne for days now.
gently caress this garbage, I didn't sign up for this

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I lived in a big sharehouse with mates when I was younger. It had an upstairs and downstairs lounge. We were all sitting in the downstairs lounge when we heard a massive crash. There was some badly done flashing or something and after a week of solid rain about a 2x2 m section of sodden plaster just gave way. Also a bunch of insulation and downlights. The landlord sued the builder and my mate had to go to court

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the actor Wallace Shawn posted:

so im going to sydney for 10 days to visit a friend and his fiance, then off to tokyo for 12 days, but my friend is saying that it's worth staying another 4-5 days to hang out in melbourne. is it worth checking out?

It's not as pretty as Sydney but I think it has a better CBD/inner suburbs area.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Isaac posted:

Get a kebab at coburg kebab station

Get a kebab at every place a taxi driver has told you has "the best kebab in Melbourne" and enjoy yourself for 6 months

Glenroy kebab house btw

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You should visit Melbourne because it's Sultry apparently :wink:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My brother and his missus adopted a young Maremma and she's chill as. I was worried she would do the guarding thing and be aggressive or whatever but she's just kind of dopey and curious, lovely dog. They have another dog and typical suburban sized backyard, I think they walk her twice a day

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McSpergin posted:

Beer stuff

I don't disagree with you, I know you're an engineer though and those are very engineer-y beer opinions.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jestery posted:

Planted kumera and kangkong today, wish me luck goons

Good luck, the only time I use kangkong is in Gado Gado, which is great. You should make that with your first harvest.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I was considering going just to see Carcass as I might not get another chance in my lifetime
I'm sad that people will miss out on seeing them

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

anti-magic posted:

They were alright when I saw them come through last time. They don't play nearly enough material from 'Reek of Putrefaction' to make it worth the ticket price.

Necroticism is my jam

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

for me, Carcass is heartwork/swan song.

They really have something for everyone

I like the extremely 90s politics in Swansong

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There was palpable urgency at the Woolies in Camberwell this morning. Joint was getting ransacked, big queues. Some weird things, diced and crushed canned tomatoes all gone but lots of canned whole tomatoes. Quick oats all gone, but lots of normal rolled oats.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

McSpergin posted:

I was thinking stuff like dried legumes, pulses and beans mainly which you can usually get from an Indian grocer for a couple bucks a kilo.

I'm looking at buying an instant pot for cooking said dried beans but we will see how this whole global supply chain thing happens

Yeah I hit the Indian grocery 2 weeks back and got 5kg bags of chickpeas, various lentils & beans, brown rice etc for good prices. Various pickles and dried spices too. I use this stuff all the time anyway so I consider it hoarding not prepping

*Edit* I just soak stuff overnight and cook normally

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have quite a lot of legumes and pulses hoarded away and we visited the Macedonian inlaws yesterday and came away with several kilos of chillis from their garden (kinda like hungarian wax chillis) several large cabbages, preserved veg and some cauliflowers.

Going to fill the unit with toxic gas

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I did a trial WFH day yesterday, we're only a small studio but it's VFX so there's large amounts of data and lots of different software and pipeline issues. Went pretty well cos our IT guy is very competent but mentally I don't really like it. My bike commutes to the office are part of my exercise regime and they separate work brain from home brain really nicely. If it comes to it I have no doubt I'd adapt but I wouldn't do it by choice.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NPR Journalizard posted:

So keep the routine up, and go for a ride around the block then start work when you get back home. That mental seperation can be important.

Yep I would do something like that, it didn't help that my wife had a day off so we were both home and it felt like a weekend.

One thing that fried my brain was 8 hours of navigating between network storage at work over VPN and the mirrored project structure set up at home, I lost track of which mapped drives were remote and half the time I was remote desktop-ing into my work machine and flicking between desktops.
At one point the IT guy was RDing from his home computer to his work computer and tightVNC-ing from that onto my home machine to take control of my mouse to set stuff up and then he RDed into my work machine from my home machine to show me how that works. desktop'ception

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Woolies in Camberwell was weirdly quiet and not very ransacked this morning.
There was pasta and rice available, didn't check bog scrolls

Maybe the 2 item limit is having the intended effect

Fresh food market was not that busy, poultry places were running low on eggs at 9:30ish but not yet out.
Lots of meat available
Fruit & Veg pretty much normal

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Gyms are closed in many other countries, I don't think our gyms are any different

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jestery posted:

Morning lockdown friends

Top o' the quarantine to you

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ili posted:

Why's that greedy oval office hogging all the covid tests.

His particular case could actually be contributing the knowledge base of the the virus and how it effects people

As tardwrangler said, we'll know more when we cut him open though

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

That looks like Armstrong st in Ballarat

The gently caress cyclists sticker is disappointing, I know 2 people who are permanently disabled from being hit by pissed bogans while cycling around Ballarat

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

naeka posted:

oh my gosh oval office has a vic rego plate, what happened to my Great state.

Ballarat is a city of ~100,000 people that sometimes thinks it's a small town in north Queensland