Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eiba posted:

Calling it now: the Picard show is going to be great. Return to idealism. Cogent case for compassion to refugees in the face of cynical isolationism. An exploration of understanding for the "other," synth/ex-borg or whatever.

Unlike Discovery, its message will be unambiguous and wholly good-hearted without any need to descend quite so far into the grit in an incoherent attempt at edginess. Picard isn't edgy. The Federation in Picard will be in full evil-admiral mode, abandoning humanist ideals for "pragmatic" reasons, but Picard's personal idealism will shine through, without state/military backing. An old man who knows right from wrong, all on his own/with a band of scruffy misfits, will make a difference.

Also Lore will be the villain.

See if this all doesn't happen. Feel free to quote/mock me if any of this isn't true.

Counterpoint: Alex loving Kurtzman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eiba posted:

Countercounterpoint: Michael Chabon?

The guy who loved his time on the show so much that he quit before season 2 was even announced.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lizard Combatant posted:

I haven't read anything about his departure, but that wouldn't be unexpected even if it was on bad terms.

Yeah, even Bryan Fuller still has an EP credit on Discovery and he got fired before a single episode was filmed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Do you have some inside info or something, because everything I'm seeing reported says this was about him running the show for the book he wrote (after signing an overall production deal with CBS).

Also Kavalier and Clay is going to be on Showtime not CBS, my mistake.

Oh, I don't doubt that Chabon left to do his book's show, it's always been a passion project for him.

It's just never a good look when a showrunner bails after the first season of a show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

angerbeet posted:

Wow, I had no idea Michael Chabon was involved in this, but seeing he wrote the Calypso short makes a ton of sense.

Yeah, he was brought in to be part of the writing team (alongside Stewart, James Duff, Heather Kadin, Akiva Goldsman and someone I'm forgetting) and then last summer he was promoted to showrunner (in part because Discovery season 3 was sucking down so much of Kurtzman's time). In December he announced that if a second season were greenlit, he wouldn't be part of it because ViacomCBS had approved development of Kavalier and Clay.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 21, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Fuller's Disco would probably have been more TOS-compliant than the Disco we got. Fuller was very much a TOS fanboy, which is why the show was set when it was, but the people who took over clearly didn't care about fitting into TOS that much.

Hell, look at the detailing on his Discovery compared to the one we got. Still different, but something you could see being related to TMP design styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WK86TRPSs8

Doesn't change the fundamental flaw, in that the Crossfield class is based on McQuarrie's rejected Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans, and it's loving awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

It grew on me as well and this is a little off topic but the plot of Star Trek: Planet of the Titans sounds like it would have been fun if you're into 70s sci-fi like Frederik Pohl or Arthur C. Clarke.

Oh, absolutely. A Star Trek movie with a batshit insane plot, written and directed by Philip Kaufman, with Toshiro Mifune as the Klingon heavy?

Sign me right the gently caress up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon is such a great idea that it could have carried absolutely everything else about the movie. Even if they crammed in the Spock killing JFK thing or w/e

Planet of the Titans began development in 1973 or 1974, well before Roddenberry started farting around with his "Spock was the second shooter on the grassy knoll" idea.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pyrotek posted:

Does anybody know why there aren't any reviews for Picard? Is it embargoed, or did they not screen it for critics? I don't remember what they did with critics for Discovery season 1.

Embargoed. The first episode had a premiere in London a few days ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, like you I have severe reservations about the creatives. If the stench of Akiva Goldsman (who ran Discovery Season 1's writers' room) and Alex Kurtzman wasn't attached, I'd probably be more optimistic. I don't have All Access and I burned through my trial a couple years ago, but my approach is basically "prepared for the worst, hoping for something decent."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:psyduck:
And yet he still decided to make the current uniforms from an absurdly expensive specialty fabric only available from one vendor in Switzerland or something.

That was a Berg and Harberts decision. Fuller had been fired long before they got into costuming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I winced when I saw Doug Aarniokoski's name in the credits. He directed the cinematic classic Highlander: Endgame.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

OK but did you like the episode

I don't have All Access. All I've seen is the credits sequence someone posted on the last page.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

I think he's playing older than he feels.

Kurtzman said that Picard is 92 when the show starts, so Stewart is definitely playing older.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

How old was McCoy supposed to be in Farpoint?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

And in order to keep them a secret they staged the Mars attack to make their army illegal. Starfleet did Mars 11. Very plausible.

I mean this is a Kurtzman joint right?

Bob Orci is the 9 / 11 truther, not Kurtzman. Orci and Kurtzman had a falling-out several years ago and don't work together anymore.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

It was Orci with the Star Trek 3 script that had Vulcan terrorists trying to time travel, right?

Orci with JD Payne and Patrick McKay, yes. Some rogue Vulcans got their hands on some leftover red matter from the Narada (don't ask me what the gently caress) and set about to detonate it, annihilate the alternate timeline and restore the Prime timeline. Kirk & Co. were assigned to take them down. Kirk and Spock both have their own individual crises of conscience--for Spock, it would mean Vulcan is back, for Kirk it would mean he'd get to know his father. ShatnerKirk shows up through time vortex bullshit and tells PineKirk that he needs to ensure that the alternate timeline survived because he already lived his full life.

It was so bad that all three were fired from writing, Orci was fired from directing, and then Doug Jung and Simon Pegg had like two months to write the script for what became Beyond.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

While this could be cool, does it even need to be the -F? The -E is like 25 years old at this point, maybe the Sovereign-class turns out to have some longevity to it.

An Enterprise cameo (regardless of which letter comes after the name) is probably too hard to resist for the writer's team though. Seems like mostly a question of who they're gonna cameo as her captain. My money's on Geordi.

They have very specifically said that Geordi, Worf and Crusher are not appearing this season--and that they considered not bringing back any of the old cast--because they want the show to be its own thing, not a TNG reunion series.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Siddig was also phenomenal in Syriana.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

adaz posted:

Years ago when the star trek experience thing was still at the vegas hilton I threw away an embarrassing amount of money to spend a ton of time on the recreation of the enterprise-d bridge (which is supposedly a 1:1 recreation of the original)

It's not, it's like 20 percent smaller.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I am not entirely sure I like the idea of taking three episodes of a ten-episode season in order to finally get things loving moving.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The ex-borg Hugh... is that the same Hugh Picard liberated years ago? That would be crazy but very trek

In fact iirc Hugh was sent back to the borg with some virus that gave the borg their individual identities back, which would explain the decrepit borg cube with a collapsed submatrix that the romulans are pilfering

No. Picard wanted to send Hugh back to the Borg with a geometric paradox embedded in his mind, with the thought that when he was re-connected to the Collective, it would cripple the Borg. Eventually he chose not to do this after realizing that Hugh wasn't "just" a drone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Martytoof posted:

I’m going to try to pinpoint where it trails off because I definitely don’t remember it in the later seasons as much.

Ron Jones was fired from TNG during the fourth season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cojawfee posted:

Between Best of Both Worlds part 1 and Best of Both Worlds part 2. They went from good music to "sonic wallpaper" where you just get one note for five minutes.

Nah, Jones was still composing during the fourth season. I think his last episode was The Drumhead, and then he got sacked, and they moved to a rotation of Jay Chattaway and Dennis McCarthy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MichiganCubbie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NoSmallPartsShow

This youtube channel has a bunch of videos about these actors, too. It's been sitting in my "watch later" section for a bit so I can't attest to the quality, but I heard it's good.

No Small Parts was actually produced by a goon, and it is excellent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

I somewhat shamefully admit I’m a poster over on TrekBBS as well, and it’s interesting how different the demographics are between there and SA, and how they’re responding to Picard.

I've been a mod there since 2002 and an administrator since 2010. :suicide:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

I thought a DS9 HD transfer was impossible

Like TNG, DS9 was shot on 35mm film and finished on tape for NTSC delivery. So the film elements still exist.

The issue is the effects, and whether or not it would make sense from a cost-benefit perspective to re-render and re-finish everything. (It wouldn't.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, it’s possible, fans have been doing bootstrap HD remasters with AI programs for years now, but Paramount doesn’t want to spend the money on it for DS9 and Voyager because they’re both equally the bastard stepchildren of TNG in its eyes.

Well, it's also because the TNG HD restoration was absurdly expensive and sold like week-old dogshit. If the most popular series faceplanted with its HD release, there's no way there'd be a return on investment from DS9 or Voyager.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senor Tron posted:

Was a member of TrekBBS (technically still am I suppose) in the early 2000's until a bunch of us broke away and formed our own board over very serious internet drama involving moderation of their politics forum.

Ah, yes, the great Briar Patch / Neutral Zone debacle.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Senor Tron posted:

LISSAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

She's long gone. She just up and disappeared from the board in like 2010.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm on a bus home from work, I'll type it up when I'm in my recliner.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

aw what the hell man we're all here waiting for Timby to relax so we can hear about some juicy old forum drama

you're killing the vibe

Okay, so, ever since the dawn of time (or 1999, whichever you prefer), the deepest, darkest pit of Hell TrekBBS has had a forum for political discussions, called The Neutral Zone. Now, TNZ was--for the most part--essentially the Wild West, with very limited moderation, and as you might expect it invited a lot of really nasty stuff that would be right at home on Stormfront.

So at some point, the board's chief decided, after much discussion in the mod forum, to split the political discussion into two forums. The Neutral Zone was replaced by The Demilitarized Zone, and it would be much more heavily moderated. And then a second forum, The Briar Patch, was added, and that was essentially completely mod-free with the exception of death threats or illegal behavior.

Note that this was far from the only boneheaded decision that Lisa, the board's top admin at the time, made during her tenure. She had already pissed off a bunch of old-timers to the point that they started a spin-off site called Troll Kingdom, which wound up doxxing a bunch of the mods and admins, with phone numbers, social security numbers, even addresses put out into the open. Explaining some of the mail I got at my parents' house was ... interesting.

As you might expect, the DMZ / Briar Patch experiment did not go well, and the decision was made after about a year to shutter both of them and bring back TNZ, with much stricter moderation (no, you don't get to call a mod a fat Jew motherfucker just because you're pissed he closed a spam thread). This resulted in another exodus of people who started a spin-off site called WordForge, which is a very, uh, odd place.

Even though I've been the #2 admin there since 2012, I barely go there anymore except to read and address reports and post in the baseball thread.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

who the gently caress is voq

go voq urself

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tiggum posted:

There's no "becoming" and anonymity doesn't even factor into it. Most of those people will post the same poo poo from their real-name Facebook accounts and have been saying those things out loud for years.

Yep, absolutely.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

They were heavily rewritten though?

The first episode of Discovery is essentially Fuller's in its entirety, while the second was basically half Fuller and half Berg / Harberts. Berg and Harberts said from the beginning that they considered episodes three and four of the season to be "their" pilot of the show, which is why they were able to convince CBS to pay for an extra two episodes for that season (15 from 13).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ed: One thing I will give kudos to Orville for is consistently knocking it out of the park with guest stars.

Also, the music.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've not read that, to be fair, but I'm still a little confused as to what Akiva Goldsman's role was? He's credited for the teleplay, along with Fuller, and Alex Kurztman has a "story by" credit as well.

Fuller's not credited for the teleplay for either of his other two "story by" credits either, so I suspect very little of his work made it into the final episode tbh.

Goldsman was brought on as an executive producer after CBS started getting cold feet about Fuller, and then he was hired to shepherd the writers' room after Fuller got fired (because he had only produced two scripts in like two years, and a broad outline for the rest of the season). Basically the way Discovery's first three episodes went:

1) Almost 100 percent Fuller
2) Goldsman and Kurtzman and Berg and Harberts rewriting Fuller's second script pretty heavily
3) Fuller getting a "story by" credit on episode 3 because they had to dig out from Fuller's moronic "Burnham is a traitor" plotline.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Oh for sure and that was totally the point. Especially how rarely we saw Galaxy classes that weren’t the Enterprise.

To the point that the mailroom was inundated by letters from angry fans demanding to know why they let some pissant little ship ram into the Enterprise and blow it up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

It Enterprise got a 5th season it probably would have survived the jump from UPN to The CW and finished its 6th and 7th seasons there. It died because Les Moonves had been gunning for Star Trek as a franchise for years up to that point, but couldn’t kill it outright because Voyager was just popular enough to justify renewing it. Enterprise was hobbled from the start and only got weaker as the show went on.

There was basically no realistic scenario for Enterprise getting a fifth season. The ratings were in the toilet, far worse than even Voyager's, and the show got a fourth season by the skin of its teeth (it was very, very nearly canceled during the third). It would have basically needed to rebound to late TNG / early DS9 numbers to get a renewal for season 5, and the likelihood of that was roughly similar to, say, the odds of Donald Trump suddenly giving Obama the Medal of Freedom tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pik_d posted:

In "Assignment: Earth" they literally traveled back in time to 1968 (air date) to observe things that I guess weren't recorded historically. There were other episodes where the Enterprise was actually forced back into the past "Tomorrow is Yesterday" or they used the Guardian of Forever to travel back as well in "City on the Edge of Forever".

Correct. "Tomorrow Is Yesterday," which came about two-thirds of the way through the first season, is also the first time the slingshot maneuver was used.