Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Didn't see this get posted but the Admiral who yelled at Picard fronted the band Vulcan Death Grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f100ccLGw0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I believe the replicator matrix complaint was a reference to the Short Trek with Spock and Number One where Number One said she created her own replicator matrix

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

piratepilates posted:

Edit: ok seriously what the hell. I haven't seen a single post about the weird romulan samurai and sword fighting in next week's preview. Does no one else find that weird? Does no one else think all the swordfighting is just a little strange? Maybe the romulan samurai? Why is he a samurai? Why did he choose the hair of a Japanese anime character if he's a romulan refugee? Why does the next episode look exactly like a reused Stargate SG1 Script, complete with an alien world that takes place a few hundred years ago but filmed in Vancouver? Why is no one talking about this?????????
After the destruction of their homeworld, many Romulans turned to Lord of the Rings Online to escape reality. Their children did not know the simulation wasn't real.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

nine-gear crow posted:

I think she was better as Dajh than she's been as Soji so far, but this is also like one of her first acting jobs ever according to IMDB, so in that respect she's doing phenomenal as a relative newcomer. Especially when she's able to hold her own against Sir Patrick Stewart.

Same, I like Dajh so much better than Soji it's weird even though I don't think she's really playing them that differently. I'm still on the Dajh-is-not-dead train even with what the triangle lady said this past week (which could easily be another red herring)

Snow Cone Capone posted:

drat, I hate that idea more than I hate the idea that Oh is MU

Oh is Men in Black, she's really named O, and the sunglasses were to protect herself from the memory wipe she gave Allison Pill

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Next week's preview looks amazing

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

GORDON posted:

Imagine the perfect Romulan accountant: one who refuses on principle to ever keep an accurate ledger, for fear another might learn the truth of it.

Romulan mafia accountant with two sets of books, both complete lies

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

skasion posted:

The 2004 senate election in Illinois that launched Obama’s political career was contested with Ryan’s ex-husband, who lost in large part because someone leaked their divorce papers about how he tried to get her to go to weird sex dungeons and poo poo

Jack Ryan (yes that's his real name) dropped out after the divorce leak and he was replaced with carpetbagger Alan Keyes (fresh off criticizing Hillary for being a carpetbagger in New York) who Obama rolled over without breaking a sweat, understandable if you've ever heard Alan Keyes talk.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I hope Bruce Maddox got plastic surgery to look like Data and Brent Spiner plays him and that's also the source of his debts and why the crew has to save him. For the costumes just say that everyone on Freecloud dresses like that normally.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Catching up on all the drama here, I liked the episode and thought it was nice to see places that aren't just Federation flagships, it makes it more DS9 than TNG. I thought it was clear that Freecloud isn't in the Federation (nor was the Romulan colony from last week) so don't get the money complaints. Picard definitely knew what he was doing the last scene. Seven definitely was dating Vajazzle. Vajazzle might not have been cast to look like Troi but Frakes or the costume team definitely saw it and set it up that way.

Someone several pages back was confused about the Borg implant black market, there was a whole Voyager episode where Ferengi were scheming to steal 7 of 9's implants before they even got back to the Alpha Quadrant so they got to be worth a pretty penny (or pretty latinum?) even now with a bunch of ex-Borgs running around. I think the Picard show called them XBs.

Everything bad seemed to have happened 14 years ago, that seems to be the 9-11/Brexit moment for the Federation and people either gave up or fought losing battles and became embittered. I'd complain about it being too long but it's been 19 years since 9-11 and we are still stuck in forever wars so I dunno

Eyepatch Picard rules

One thing that is both good and bad is the show dumps you off in the middle of this world where we've missed 25 years and doesn't bother to explain a lot of things, which is half of the major disagreements I'm seeing. Not everyone is like me that will watch this stuff 2-3 times and pick up things that are easily missed. The other thing with characters acting out of character is a more nuanced argument. People can change in 25 years but you can make a case for how much they would have changed or how much they would have changed with circumstances that happened the way the show did.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Janeway both seems like she'd fit in perfectly with the new Starfleet but also seems like she'd immediately get kicked out for going rogue with a bunch of ships and blasting up some Tholians when Starfleet refuses to do anything.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Tiggum posted:

Picard needs a ship so OK, he hires Rios. But he's a chartered pilot, so why is he risking his life for this crackpot mission? Raffi believes in the conspiracy but she was ready to abandon it to reconnect with her son. She only came along for the ride to Freecloud. So why didn't she just take a different ship? This can't be the only one available. And why now? Picard offers her evidence that the conspiracy is real and that galvanises her to... give up?]

This one is easy if you've ever interacted with people like Raffi. She's giving up on the conspiracy to try to reconnect with her son because there is a baby on the way. But she's not really giving up on the conspiracy, she's just putting on a front. Give her a few weeks and she'll be back in the thick of it and ignoring all three of them, and her son knows it. This is in addition to whatever fancy drugs she could get on Freecloud that aren't even Federation legal (I am not a writer on the show but drugs that "expand you mind" that she would take to try to crack the conspiracy better would be the obvious choice of fake things to get her addicted to) She hitched a ride on the ship because it was free and she was going to hire Rios anyway because of the baby and her need to stay off the grid (she will undoubtedly think they have been after her the past 16 years because she knows stuff), and there is no way she wasn't already working on things just off camera, we saw as much when Picard gave her a data dump. We even got a new thing, the Conclave of Eight, which is either MJ13 levels of crazy conspiracy, or even better, international conspiracy between different big powers with Klingon/Romulan/Tholian/Gorn/Cardassian members.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Deep Space Nine interacted with literally thousands of ships but episodes where Chief O'Brien and Chief Engineer Sporkx cooperate to get the USS T'macco's dilithium chamber working aren't going to make the cut for an interesting episode (outside of a C-plot where Nog trades a bunch of things for a new chamber) Sporkx going on a shooting spree because he realized that logically war is a force that will lead to our own obliteration would make the cut.

If you remember older TNG episodes where they interacted with various starship captains, most of them were just boring dudes who they had conversations with via video phone after they dropped the Passenger of the Week off before their ship flew off for Survey Mission #141244142. Most of that got phased out by later seasons when the pacing picked up, but DS9 used it when Bashir met the lady who was ahead of him in medical school and found out her dream assignment that she got to pick over him was yet another boring survey mission.

I do think they have leaned too heavily into Evil Starfleet lately, but the version on Picard seems to have an actual reason that fits with the plot while Discovery just had Section 31 running around for namedropping reasons.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

This episode was pretty good, the first few minutes dragged and the ending was a tad rushed but overall it was really nice to see the stories finally collide. Picard dealing with his Borg trauma and the interactions with Hugh were golden. This was the first Soji/Romulan guy stuff that wasn't eye-rolling. Can't wait for next week!

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Worf: It was Alexander's Q'asludat, I cannot miss it! I was a bad father for 30 years, but honor requires that I make up for lost time and cannot join in your quest, Admiral Sisko's quest to prevent the wormhole aliens from destroying all life in the galaxy, nor Admiral Janeway's quest to kill Neelix

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Episode was really good

Did Riker say "Kzinti"or "Xindi"?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The sister she's named after had blonde hair too iirc

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Maybe if Allison Pill keeps puking she'll puke out one of the Conspiracy aliens

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

zoux posted:

Did y'all read that scene as her trying to kill herself or just gently caress herself up enough that the tracker stopped working

The second BUT doing so in a way that would probably kill her and her being okay if that happened

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

My guess with the 8 stars and the extra android is instead of twins the androids are produced in groups of 8, which means 5 other living Sojis out there.

My other guess is season 2 deals with the mystery bads who show up after android critical mass

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Soji is a traitor to herself and her people as revenge on her dead sister who isn't really dead because of false memories where they fought over who had the top bunk bed as children.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Arglebargle III posted:

Mushroom drive.

MUSHROOM DRIVE

Obviously King Koopa was elected president of the Federation in the 2260s and purged all fungal drives from memory

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

ashpanash posted:

Anyone else think the in-production body will be used by Picard, who will die, but will have his mind and body copied into a Robobody?
Yes but I also like the new-Soong guy is Lore but Soji revives Data instead theory

Next week has to have the Federation lead by Picard's friends show up at the last minute for a big space battle, right?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

MichiganCubbie posted:

All ship designs after Nemesis except the Discovery Enterprise and the D7 suck. That includes Enterprise.

The USS Shenzhou is pretty good but the rest of the fleet didn't look enough like the TOS ships they should have still been.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The warbird is still a bird, but it's changed from the majestic eagle to a chickadee due to military budget cuts after their sun exploded.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

No one has seen Beverly Crusher in 20 years after she got a whole pallet of sex ghost candles delivered to her mansion

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It seemed totally unnecessary to me, as I found the idea of the crew defending the synth planet from extermination by the Romulan fleet to be an exciting setup for a finale in its own. There was easily enough tension there without the "end of all life" stuff in the mix.
I agree but Generations had them defending a planet full of people we don't even see on-screen and Insurrection was defending some other people we didn't see before that movie, the producers/network probably took the wrong lessons on why those films were bad and upped the stakes.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Astroman posted:

I've said this before, but the opportunities to bring back TOS era characters and explore them are big. Every admiral and captain on TOS could show up younger. So we could see Decker, Ron Tracey, Mendez, Garth of Izar. Same for movies--Morrow, Terrell, the unseen Nogura. Because of the merger, anyone from the JJ movies is available-like an alternate, not as bad Admiral Marcus could be played by Peter Weller and he can direct too. Robert and Sarah April from TAS would work. T'Pol from Enterprise should be alive, maybe even Shran-how long do Andorians live? Plus USS Enterprise crewmembers like Boyce or Piper as the CMO would be logical. Scotty is fair game too--he's established as older than Kirk and in beta canon he was always on the Enterprise pre-Kirk.

Here's what's going to happen. Scotty will be introduced on the ship, probably as a starting main character since he was hinted at in Discovery. Early season 2, Lt. Kirk is going to show up as a frat boy lothario who hits on Number One and probably bangs a minor character who hasn't been cast yet. He then learns responsibility from Pike. By the end of season 2, every TOS main character will have shown up for an episode or more, even teenage Chekhov somehow. Then a new spinoff is announced: Star Trek: Year Four, which is about the 4th year of the five year mission with the original crew, all recasted. We'll also get updates on what happened to all the Pike-era crew throughout that show, and at least one joins the Kirk crew but somehow doesn't look years older.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Anthology show, every episode different characters and point in Trek history, all characters played by Combs

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The USS Vancouver is my favorite ship from these new series, I like it even more than the USS Shenzhou which is the best of the Discovery-era ships

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmSxGZ_8Qv4

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Heck in Star Trek, Kirk got promoted from cadet to second in command of the Enterprise, then captain, but maybe jumps like that only happen in alternate universes

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

The Nebula-class USS Prometheus was captained by a Lt. Commander (played by the actor who hated being Data's first officer in the Sela episodes, notably that TNG episode not only had Lt. Commander Data given a command but La Forge was the original choice, all temporary) Of course, the reason here is probably because Sisko was only a Commander at this point and having a captain on the ship would have outranked him and they'd be in charge.

Also since watching the animated series on Nickelodeon is one of my earliest Trek memories, seeing an Edosian was cool

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

side_burned posted:

Of all the SNL alumina they could conjure up to teach Data about humor, Joe Piscopo?

Edit: Oh dear god a Jerry Lewis bit, gently caress!

That episode is truly outrageous.

Also Teri Hatcher running around and the pregnant daughter later showed up in SeaQuest DSV

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I've watched this episode 3 times now and it still sounds like the slur instead of "fucks" even after hearing the uncensored version

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Cursed to travel through time in search of when everyone knows his name

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

MikeJF posted:

I don't know if there are any other similar EU ship designs that they might have show up. Maybe the Aventine/Vesta Class, which was the other major novel design. Doesn't fit in as well, though, and the titan was at least already established by name and its association with Riker.

I'm just chuffed to see both the Olympic and the Luna established.

The old Franz Joseph designs from the Star Fleet Technical Manual that got used on screens in some films/TNG but never had canon ship appearances (outside a few novel covers iirc) would be cool, I drew the hell out of them as a kid

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Hey the USS Bozeman was there in First Contact but iirc a book made it a new USS Bozeman but still with Frasier in command

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Timby posted:

They had everyone except Walter Koenig, as I recall. But, yeah, there's a reason pretty much every guest alien of the week sounds like a certain Canadian character actor.

IIRC they fought with production to get most of the crew but they wouldn't pay for everyone, Koenig got to write an episode as a consolation prize. They did get Mark Leonard and the Harry Mudd guy back though. They used to run reruns on Nickelodeon which is where I first saw them as a kid

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Ramadu posted:

wait, was that buzzard lookin dude supposed to be a romulan?

Memory Alpha says he's a Betelgeusian, one of the TMP background aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Brainstorming a bit but:

The season's themes seem to be environmental catastrophe and collapse of a centralized government. The dilithium disaster is coded as a mystery, but could easily track to it's original reference as fossil fuel and a return to it's scarcity, compounded by real world fossil fuels causing climate change, here they just got used too much and all blew up or something. Along with that environmental theme, Book is some sort of green jedi who can grow healing plants and talk to animals, he's even saving endangered species. The collapse of the Federation is probably best tracked through the movie The Postman (this also tracks with the USPS being dismantled by our dystopian leadership), with disaster compounded with other things causing collapse of the centralized government and cities walling themselves off until a guy shows up in the uniform of the past with a reminder of what was lost, and a way to communicate. This inspires the young and give nostalgia to the old who remember the old ways. With all starships exploded, millions/billions dead, and little to no way to reach other planets, people are going to freak out no matter how utopian it is. Eventually bad dudes pop up to take advantage of the situation and there isn't anyone to smack them down, and things fall apart. Of course, I could easily be reading too much into this, and it could all be Michael The Burn-ham's fault again.