Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really doubt P-Stew would have come back if he had not liked what they wanted to do.

My take on Disco is that is problems lay in it trying to be prestige TV over being Star Trek TV. So you get lots of overly wrought emotional scenes with episodes being about Relationships rather than Star Treks regular fair. It's the whole sociological to psychological storytelling thing, where the story is about the characters influencing the world rather than the world influencing the characters. I think I have that terminology right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My theory is she got off Disco before it went to the future. Got in an escape pod and went on her evil way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

According to All Good Things he actually married Leah Brahms, so either she got divorced or her old husband died... or Geordi really did marry Holobrahms and everyone is pretending she's real to humour him :tinfoil:

I'm sorry Leah, your husband wanted to see the Dilithium refiner so badly, but the railing over the crusher, it gave way. I tried to warn him but he was too interested in the machinery. I'm so sorry.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bunch of Trek youtubers are doing videos about why they love Picard, and god drat seeing Mesure of a Man though the eyes of a transperson makes that episode way more impactful

https://youtu.be/bvH0V5ZF9pw

EDIT I probably should add the entire Playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgH0AbtWXcMyvK3JyTw4yE-hHDBps_WTP

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 23, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was great. It was fantastic to see Star Trek say, No this is bad, people matter, gently caress you.

Gimme more!

Maybe the Romulan on the Borg cube is Nero's brother or something? it also looks like that the Supernova didn't just destroy Romulus but also a huge chunk of the center of their empire.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also Dog Status : Very good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drone posted:

Really hope they at least mention a Captain Nog at some point somehow.

At this point I know it's mostly just spitballing cameo ideas and shoehorning in familiar characters, but that one would be both timely and appropriate.

It would, however, involve the showrunners acknowledging the existence of DS9, so it's not likely to happen.

There was a Trill and a Bajorian on screen.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I hope when we see Starfleet ships they don't look like the turds Discovery put out.

Also, at only 15 years later it should probably still be the -E.

The Federation ships on Disco look fine, while the Klingon Ships, literally one of them is a flying turd. The Romulan ships we saw in this episode look good, and clear design based on Romulans and their love of birbs. Also HOLY poo poo CLASSIC ROMULAN SHIP IN THE SEASON TRAILER????

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Hell I still have my VHS release of it where Rene Auberjonois plays the Starfleet Colonel turned assassin.

Did Starfleet even have Colonels outside of him in one movie? Seems like the usual progression is to be Captain until you're certifiably insane, and then you get to be an Admiral.

They also have Commadores that also go insane.

And gently caress RLM, god I hate how the internet holds them up as some kind of gods. I've only watched a handful of their stuff and its basically like reading CD comments from the most pedantic goons. Their Picard video is at the top of my recommendations and them doing the :uggh: thing upsets me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also anyone who thinks that a funny framing device is a guy who murders women is, like hosed. Lol it's just a joke that a woman is being tortured in the basement, lighten up!

Picard's Federation is the US without the Soviet Union, it has no big enemy to fight. Unlike in the TOS->TNG era where the galaxy was at peace, this galaxy is one that is a smoking ruin that the Federation is the sole standing empire. It's going to be paranoid as gently caress, even if on the surface everything is all right. As someone else mentioned, those that are running the show are officers who came up during the wars, and even if they may hold Federation Values at heart, they see those outside of the Federation as not worth their time. Picard had to shame them and probably used up whatever political capital he had to get them to act. As Picard straight up says "lives", he's not going to let old hatreds cloud his morality.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ashpanash posted:

The Utopia Planitia shipyards are, I always presumed, at Utopia Planitia on Mars. They're not called the 'Mars orbital shipyards.' I took the orbital parts to be the last step.

Building large ships would be easier in Zero G.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Offhand comment about Lower Decks taking place on the Hood has filled my head with ideas of DeSoto being captain and the Hood being the space party barge it is apparently.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Siddig was fine in Gotham as Ra's.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess we're going with some Romulans look more non Vulcan than others. Sex Romulan clearly just has pointy ears, but the Health and Safety Romulan clearly had more sharp features. I guess there have been inbreeding with Remans or their other subject species?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Romulans were constantly under surveillance so they would not want to deviate from the accepted norms, so that means all the same haircuts.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Somehow I think Killing someone who was receiving medical treatment on a ship with 5 people on it while you were the last person in the room with them is not going to go well for Agnes. She'll probably erase logs, but we've seen Raffi being a very competent hacker so she'd pick up any errors.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was probably my favorite episode of the series so far. I really liked the visit with the Troi-Rikers, and love Troi being the one to tell Picard to be Picard. Soji and Kestra scenes were really great, though I wish we had no seen that they were going to be in this episode, because it would have been a good mislead.

Aggie isn't a spy, she's a dork who builds robots. Asking her to murder and betray people isn't going to sit well with her and I was glad they showed that it was eating her the whole time.

I am looking forward to Assassian Creed Borg Cube.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand what the Romulans are doing.

We know they have a tracker on the doctor. Yet they have Narek following the tracker to presumably intercept Picard and Soji on Nepenthe since they don't know where Picard went with her. OK, that's fair enough. But at the end of the last episode we know that the Romulans found out where the 'synth homeworld' was, but meanwhile 'Rizzo' is farting around on the Cube killing off xBs when I assume the main goal of the Zhat Vash was to go find this planet that they have not been able to find and wipe out the synths. Was it absolutely necessary for Narek to have to follow the tracker closely to keep tabs on them? It's just weird that Rizzo seems in no rush to run off and find the place they have been looking for the entire season.

It's not going anywhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't clue in to Riker and Troi's daughter being named after Troi's daughter that died when she was a baby.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Drunk in Space posted:

Even better: their dead son, Thad, appears to have been named after Riker's Civil War ancestor, Thaddius.

Yea I got that right away.

I'm pretty sure powering sheilds and scanners for a house doesn't take that much power. For the power they put out, even Warp Reactors aren't even that big.

Picard being a hobo adventure lends itself to going to DS9. Come on go visit it and show us what happened there. Maybe they could even get Michelle Forbes to come back?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad they layed in that the information may have become garbled over the eons and the warning isn't what the Romulans claim it is. Very likely the Romulans being who they are garbled it with their paranoid

Also really denied a messy death for the spy sister. God its going to be super satisfying to see them both eat it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure Oh got to her position by going "Well I'm Vulcan so i'm not influenced by emotions, everything I do is logical" and she's traded on that her entire career. Eventually you get to the point where everyone is in the air when she says jump and before she says which way.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Delsaber posted:

I always end up getting the Prethoryn Scourge. I'd almost welcome the Contingency at this point.

I always get war in heaven.

I really hope we see some new ship designs next week. The squadron Picard is sent comes in right when they need to and it's all bes designs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

istewart posted:

Between this and what twistedmentat said, I have to add that the overall production design has always been a core aspect of that world building, and I do feel that it's lacking here. Except for a few elements, there's not a lot here that feels like a direct continuation of what's come before, and I feel that's a shame. I'm thinking mainly the Borg cube, the reuse of TNG's future combadges, the brief appearance of an LCARS interface when Picard searches for the Locutus holo, and arguably the new Romulan birds-of-prey. The hand-wavy holo-interfaces feel like a stab in the dark at reclaiming Trek's futurist cred, but even if we do all end up wearing AR goggles, are we really going to be using something like that?

Heh I don't remember what post of mine you're referring to but yea with Sci-fi your production design tells a lot of the story.

Like I'll always counter the criticism of the D looking like a Cruise Ship or Hotel with a "yea, that's what it should be". It was built in a time of peace, the Romulans were isolated, the Klingons were friends, minor wars did break out but I don't think the war with the Cardassians threatened to do anything other than lose ships and border worlds. The Federation would not of collapsed if it had lost. Anyways, the point being is the Federation could build a ship that was roomy, comfortable, that had nice pleasing lines and colour tones. It would be able to defend itself but it was more likely doing diplomatic missions, scientific exploration and search and rescue, so that dictated its design.

Then as things went pear shaped with the Borg, the Klingons, Cardassians and eventually Dominion, the Federation started thinking more practical. Ships would be designed for combat first, with luxuries being secondary. They could still carry out those other missions I mentioned, but projecting military strength was their primary function. I figure that in the period after DS9 it went back to being peaceful, but there was probably an underlying feeling of "what is going to happen next?" and that was the Romulan Supernova.

But to talk more about the boarder scope of the topic, look at Dune. It takes place in a fantastical far off future that is at least 10k years in the future and there are telepaths and mutants who can see the future, humanity can reach its maximum potential though both breeding and training. It's also a fuedal society that is heavily stratified, plus despite the high tech world, its also technophobic. How do you communicate this beyond just dialog? Everythings clunky, but functional, there are lots of natural materials used such as wood and stone.

Which is smart because one of the dangers of sci fi is being outdated. LCARS style controls are in everyones pocket, so it just looks contemporary now. And no one could have predicted that GUIs were going to be the staple of computer operation. Just having keyboards everywhere is still weird, and also only having voice coms. What the hell? I remember when the awful Inhumans show, Black Bolt, a being that's voice is destructive, can't use his communicator because he can't talk. So super advanced people don't have texting? I can understand a show from the 90s not figuring that text messages would be a major source of communication in the 21st century.

Nodosaur posted:

One thing I like about Picard is that it finally shows aspects of Romulan culture that don't have to do with them being arrogant pricks or deceitful. I really like the idea of Way of Absolute Candor as a parallel to the Vulcan teachings, especially how the episode portrays it just as positively.

Yea. I like the suggestion that Romulans were not monolithic, but their government made every effort to make it appear that they were. I've speculated why all Romulans had that haircut was becuase no one dared be different so everyone just cut their hair the same. One of the benefits of the fall of the Empire was Romulans could be more themselves.

skasion posted:

I would say Lucas’ Star Wars movies are broadly anti-militarist, pro-labor, anti-religious, and skeptical of democracy. They’re not a coherent statement and each of these things come forward in some of the movies more than others (for example, in the original movie the Jedi are straightforwardly positively portrayed through Ben, and it’s only in ESB and on that he starts to be portrayed as Machiavellian and the Jedi as selfish and hypocritical).

I'd say that its less Skeptical of Democracy but more about being Skeptical of Great Men and the desire to sacrifice freedom for safety. They were written during the Bush era and that what was going on.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Oh man, I'm finally watching Discovery now that I have time and I'm absolutely loving the idea of mirror Tilly

Killy is life. Or death if you displease her. I wish they had actually shown her on screen, Mary Wiseman would have killed being utterly evil.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've come to see that Section 31's history goes sorta like this

Enterprise era
Small intelligence organization, secret but operating within the intelligence community. Handles stuff that the regular security doesn't want to touch, focuses on internal issues. Sloan's constant assertion that "its in the Federation Charter" is probably something vague like "The Federation may maintain a intelligence service intended to protect it from internal threats" and that gets taken and twisted.

Disco Era
Has grown to be its own branch of Starfleet Intelligence. Operates with impunity, as it has cultivated an image among Federation leaders that it is necessary, and that it is the only thing truely holding back the darkness. There are a million knives out and only Section 31 has the resolve to blunt their attacks. It is probably even seen as the primary intelligence organization, with Starfleet Intelligence being seen as more about keeping hands out of the cookie jar. The Disaster of Control made Starfleet rethinking giving a intelligence service unlimited power without oversight is a bad idea, and officially dissolves Section 31 and reabsorbs its opratives. But there are some that think that no, even though Section 31 almost ended all life in the Galaxy, we still need them because in a galaxy of Romulans, Klingons, Gorn and Tholians, and not to mention people who let their good and naiive natures bring ruin to everything, we must have watchers on the wall. Because of this, section 31 goes undergound. It's not unlike Hydra in SHIELD in Winter Soldier, its a cancerous spider in a web pulling the threads behind the scenes, but only true believers know of its existence. It falls into rumor and history.

TOS and TNG
Nothing

Ds9
The war with the Dominion forces them to stop simply acting behind the scenes, quietly in the shadows. They need to go out and recruit people like Bashir to expand their operations. It's probably Sloan and a few goons that are members of Section 31, but has silent allies all over the place, and assets that can be activated whenever needed. The death of Sloan probably ended Section 31. It's secrets lost, and leaderless the cells and assets become dormant to a point they no longer have any power. Though with Picard who knows?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I thought the whole point of Section 31 in DS9 was to show how easily fascism can infect democratic societies when they succumb to paranoia. There will always be people who think that they know better than everyone else, and they appoint themselves the protector of those who are too stupid and liberal to protect themselves from the dangers out there. Its funny how that kind of stuff would be all over the place in fiction a few years later. Lots of sci fi did thinly veiled analogs for Bush era style conservatives who thought anyone left of LaRouche was going to lead the country into being taken over by Muslims with their tolerance and not supporting genocide.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Combat Pretzel posted:

Not like I didn't expect anything else, because it doesn't make for drama and screen time, but the usual trope of talkative foes, i.e. Seven vs Incest Sister, reaaaaaaaally grated me. Just kill that rear end in a top hat with the phaser in your hand, instead of risking defeat.

At least she didn't hesitate to knock her rear end down the endless shaft. No mercy. Hopefully she's a green smear on the ground and didn't survive somehow

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess the implication with Narek’s story is that the proto-Vulcan species that Romulans and Vulcans are both descendants of didn’t originate on Vulcan and that was one of their legends.

Yea that has been in Trek since TOS.

I want Season 2 to get into Picards Archology thing, exploring some ancient races bones.

What is it with the lame ship designs in recent Trek? Like about half the Disco ships are lame, and The ships that Riker bring are pretty uninspired. Can they get ILM to design some ships again? First Contact gave us the best crop of new ships and nothing has really topped that since.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kinda wish they kept the crazy space adventure was in the background and not had the characters be central to it. That kinda defeats the purpose.

I like Cat Doctor being all grumpy, and super aggressive Bajorian security chief.

Like its fine, not the best thing I've seen. Though I didn't expect much, it's not say The Venture Bros or Harley Quinn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want the Bajoran security chief to be always telling crazy resistance stores like "there I was, facing the entire 8th order with only a Rusty spork".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Martytoof posted:

I said the same thing about Crave but then I decided that I’ll go hatewatch Disco too once it’s back out, and also realized it has Silicon Valley, Frasier, Seinfeld, and I think I can make the $9/mo worth the expense.

But let’s be real, we’re 100% back to buying unnecessary poo poo just to watch that one show, just like we were with cable and their dumb packages.

This is one instance where I’m kind of glad Canada is getting weird licensing deals because I can’t think of literally any other show on that CBS-only service I’d watch.

Yea I want to sub to get access to Doom Patrol, once I'm done Umbrella Academy and Jojo Golden Wind. I completely forgot it had Disco, also all the HBO stuff. I'd really like to watch Rome and Deadwood again, also finally see Sopranos.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I also have seen some people saying its bad because its not Star Trek, with Star Trek being Specifically TNG style using an alien race as an allegory for human conflict.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Renegade Cut has a really good recent video about how Voyager isn't that bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Sh0NAsHfU
It's problems are more wasted potential than anything else. I agree, and he thinks Tuvok is the best character and that makes him 100% correct in every other subject too.

I am hoping season 3 is splitting characters up so they can have their own stories. That's something I love about Beyond, the second act is almost entirely the crew split up, with different pairings than normal. It does need to be less the Michael Burnham show.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tuvok is fine but I never felt like his character changed very much. For me, Seven and The Doctor are the highlights.

His clear an unhidden contempt for almost everyone aboard the ship is great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sponges posted:

People use illegal streaming sites. gently caress actually downloading stuff

Now the CCP knows how much Young Sheldon you watched. Do you want that to get out?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Martytoof posted:

I pay for YTP because it kills ads on regular YouTube across all my devices where I can’t install adblockers and I’m on YT a ~~tremendous~~ amount all day.

I can understand that, especially now since Youtube has gotten really invasive with ads lately. I used to only get ads at the start, and if the video was more than an hour long. Now I get like 3 or 4 ads in a video that's less than 10 minutes, plus they seem randomly placed.

Someone will go "you'll see the biggest mystery in Bloodborne is the *CAR AD* *AD FOR MORGAGE*"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really bad now. I can use AdBlock on my home computer to thankfully avoid that, but if I am on my iPad at work on lunch I am getting those 4-5 ads in a 10-15 minute video like you said.

Yea, I watch on my PS4 constantly, its more annoying that the blackouts it gets (only on my big tv, only on certain videos, so thats a mystery). And yea, I watch a lot of youtube too, and it's never been this bad. I wonder if its a delayed result of the massive demonitization that happened a few years ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hard to say, but I've been reading the last couple of years about how there is a big Internet ad bubble and maybe it's finally bursting. I'm not sure.

Yea, as I said, they're pretty invasive, and I cannot imagine they get much in the way of sales off them because everyone just gets pissed off by them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Astroman posted:

I get YouTube Red or Premium or whatever for free because I pay for Google Music, though having gone on YT not logged in and seen the amount of ads I doubt I could ever go back. Only thing that sucks is they're killing Google Play Music in favor of "Youtube Music" or something which will totally suck and I hate it already.

Yea i dropped google play when I asked for "80s new wave" and it started playing the audio from a bunch of videos including the dialog. I do not want that poo poo.

And I still got massive amounts of add with the free youtube premium. Weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Madurai posted:

<resists urge to make modern-day navy comparisons>

<remembers his "modern-day" experience is 30 years old>

<weeps, old-ly>

Do people on subs still sleep among the torpedos?

I got to go on the, Tarawa, I think it was, one of the USMCs carriers, and we were taken on a tour my Lt and she had her own room, which was basically a closet big enough for a bed, a desk and a place to put stuff. Enlisted crew and the jarhead grunts had something similar, though it was less a hallway and more rows of bunks.

I didn't realize the class was called the California, which explains why the Captain has a old California state flag on her wall.

Wasn't there conformation that some alumni of other series will show up in this? I want a totally unhinged Admiral Janeway to show up.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

Not to be a complete dorkus, but don’t the uniforms place them at a pre-Voyager point in the timeline?

They're not TNG uniforms, they are neather front of backzips. Nor are they Voyager turtlenecks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've ranted about how ship design in Sci-fi is pretty lackluster these days, and uniform design is pretty bad too. Either they are just modern military with some dodads added to make it look all science fictiony, or they look like they're from a fan film. The one thing I'll give Rise of Skywalker props for is the brief shots you see them in, the Sith Fleet uniforms look really good.

Real militaries have multiple uniforms though, you have your dress uniform, your duty uniform, field dress and so on, depending on what you're doing. I always liked the TOS uniforms because they had the feel of a duty uniform, something that quickly identifies you but also has ease of movement and comfortable. It's just a coloured shirt and pants, nothing fancy.