Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Was it here, the CSPAM thread, or some news article which talked about how most of our pharmaceutical manufacturing is based in China now and the feds have never recognized this as something that might be a bad idea. I though that was a good point

*taps sign that just says "number"*

*points at sign*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1222893040001519616

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

I bet there are people who think this virus only affects chinese people and if you're not chinese the virus will skip you.

I have a native Chinese coworker (now a naturalized us citizen) who genuinely believes this virus was engineered by the Chinese government to specifically genetically target the elderly Chinese population to reduce their drain on public benefits lmao

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 31, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also lol in two weeks we're supposed to have a bunch of folks from seoul fly in for a big face to face meeting. as well we'll have key stakeholders from LA and Dallas showing up. like there will literally be 100+ people sharing air in a giant conference room together.

should be fun!

Laterite fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 31, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

vileness fats posted:

Hah, I live in HK and am immunocompromised.

If I stop posting you'll know I'm dead.

:justpost:

:rip:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

I feel like at least 2/3 of any "crazy" news out of China is either exaggerated, staged, or completely made up.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Dog Toothbrush posted:

Wearing masks is actually an effective prophylactic against spreading the disease and somewhat-to-not-very effective against getting it, kind of important for a disease that’s communicable for weeks before symptoms arise. Performative my rear end

lol masks aren't going to do poo poo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Delthalaz posted:

I was trying to think of the worst person to catch corona virus this year during the global pandemic and then I imagined Bernie catching it while out canvassing for the people. So now you have to imagine it too.

If Modi or Trump catch it get ready for a nuclear exchange with China.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Turns out Mask is COUNTERFEIT ... from CHINA!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Similarly, I've been to both Fred Meyer and Safeway this weekend (I live in Ground Zero of Washington state's outbreak so c'est la vie) and while I saw the expected drawdown of t.p., milk, and rice/beans, all the medication shelves seemed to be as well-stocked as any other given winter weekend. You'd think people would be snarfing up Flonase, Sudafed, NyQuil and the like to deal with, you know, a bad cold/flu.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

And the numbers of concurrent infected are declining. Let's see if the USA can maintain a similar level of control.

I was wondering earlier, given the rate of decline, whether there are any indicators of China going back to work soon.

You know, for number's sake.

Poor number.

:ohdear:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

gotta be honest, not quite sure i understand what this means

Meaning, when do they start the factories again?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

Matt Gaetz went on self-quarantine and now there's no toilet paper from Gulf Shores to Ft. Walton.

Also a couple of weeks ago my chest started feeling a little heavy and I had a cough, but I still went to work because I work in food service and rely on tips to live. I'm fine now.

I, a super-spreader, gave Matt Gaetz Covid and he gave it to the President. Thank me for my service.

:patriot:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
China is, what, two months into their lockdown now? Has it eased up at all? Thought I read that factories were starting up again but if the rest of the world isn't buying anything then I suppose that's moot.

Anyway, we probably won't really know if this has been truly contained there until they open their doors again, literally and figuratively.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Noblesse Obliged posted:

The grim reality will be that letting 4 million olds die will be less of a body count than hundreds of millions from societal collapse

If this doesn't burn out in a month or so then control will become moot and it's either mass death trying to keep people locked down or let the 1 percent fatality rate do it's thing and back to normal imo

Yeah my guess is by mid-April state and local governments are just going to start lifting their restrictions and "encouraging" people and businesses to get back to work. The virus will just keep circulating and pushing the bounds of our health care system (lol) & killing people until there's a vaccine. Our system just isn't set up to handle this for very long at all.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
They are.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

can we tittyfuck the virus

buddy, they won't even let me tittyfuck the virus

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Zugzwang posted:

Has someone made a lovely parody called "My Corona" yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjDidfSc52c

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol that the Sturgis motorcycle rally is still going to happen.

200-250,000 Boomers cruising around the streets and partying at the beach for 10 days straight ... what could go wrong?

Imagining all the Xennials & Millenials desperately pleading with their stubborn lead-brained parents & grandparents not to go.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Dear Watson posted:

Is there actually a decent beach in South Dakota ?

Based on pictures and Google Maps there's a couple medium-sized lakes just outside of town that it looks like rally-goers congregate at. S'pose it depends on your definition of "decent". The criteria in this case seems to be, "can I stand around drinking next to/standing in a body of water?".

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
risking life on a ventilator for college summer ball

amazing

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Honestly surprised there's never been a superbug spawned out of a cruise ship before. Some kind of nightmare hybrid of norovirus, flu, salmonella, and gonorrhea.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

As long as the vaccines work for it.

The current vaccines aren't approved for use under 16, iirc

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

:911:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Chuck Tingle I think has already written a pandemic book.

He just published one about the Ever Given; dude knows how to stay on top of the zeitgeist.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Daily vaxx numbers are steadily dropping off in the US

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

New Hampshire's graph is the worst of them all, they are done with this whole vaxx deal

depending on the state, the phased rollouts were unnecessarily complicated and too drawn-out. it should have been, 1) old & sick/immunocompromised, 2) public sector & health care workers, 3) everyone else. i think a lot of people stopped paying attention to the nuances once the big news splash in Dec-Feb died out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Did this get posted? Good news.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1389328995120947203