Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Uhg, these end times are taking forever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Can we get this over with already? I've got an afterlife/empty void to get on with.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bomb posted:

Moving to Montana just south of Glacier to live this out up in my uncle's sweet 100 miles off-the-grid cabin-mansion that uses natural springs to generate electricity.

Also we all hunt so we should be fine.

Off topic, but serious question. Can you ask your uncle if a) they had a rally cold snap about a week ago (-25C or so), and b) has he noticed a sharp drop in snowshoe hare activity since it warmed up?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Kinda glad I didn't stay in Vancouver, RIP Gastown and stupid steamclock.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

other people posted:

Wanna see this guy's hospital bill.

Wanna see what happens when he rightly refuses treatment that would ruin his family and tries to discharge himself against doctors orders.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nastyman posted:

All our products are made in China and I've had a bad cough for a few weeks but I also smoke a ton of weed so realistically I'll probably be dead before the end of the week.

I'll nominate you for Goon sainthood. St. Nastyman, Awful Saint of imported goods and chronic marijuana dependancy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If I can still get into Madagascar, I'm way less worried.

For real though we keep having some pretty high toll outbreaks and isn't there something that's like every 80 years the world gets pounded with a really rough virus?

The smart move would be a tiny lovely island like Pitcairn. You won't die but after five years you'll wish you were dead.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Guys, I've got some bad news.

Oh stop that you tease

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shneak posted:

I've bragged too much about not getting sick yet this winter so I'm definitely getting karma's kiss with this one.

gently caress that. Told the pharmacist I worked with the elderly and got the jab for free.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Usually the real complicated dealios have more semantics than just "it's a graph and edges are like ports and stuff". They model the whole spatial effects. The biggest dealios basically look like diffusion limited aggregation in affected peeps, with the aggregations in cities

That's absolutely not true. The CDC's got a map of the world painted on a gymnasium floor with thousands of mice running about. They infect one watch how it spreads and release the virus in the countries the mice get sick in. It's scientific and poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
No looking good friends. Worst case scenario everything shuts down for a few months and noone interacts socially until the infected die off/get better. Then we deal with flare-ups every few months/years until medicos devise a vaccine for a rapidly mutating flu virus.

Maybe this will be an impetus to move into more remote work and teleworking. Which would probably devolve into a more contract gig economy and ah gently caress it take me now coronaplague.

E: gently caress you I snipe you sick

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The whole point of being a scientist is never being wrong. Everyone else is wrong sometimes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

A Russian troll farm posted:

Yeah, you can sit in your house and subsist on canned food for a few months like a coward

Or, you can face up to your responsibility as goons and live up to this forum's historic destiny. Lick doorknobs in public buildings. cough and sneeze without covering your mouth. Instead of washing your hands after you pee, smear them all over the tap, the doorknob, the crank or lever on the paper towel dispenser. Let each goon be a footsoldier in the war against mankind, and let it be a war of extermination. The coronavirus and the something awful forums, marching shoulder to shoulder towards the great and noble goal of human extinction. Forward!

Bug catcher fetishist spotted.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Age distribution of fatal cases that the PRC govt has confirmed

https://i.redd.it/ch0xjjzjsxc41.jpg

Don't want to be grim and all but high old mortality and no infant mortality seems pretty suspicious.

Unless someone tailor made a virus to fix the job market/economy/political environment/my chances of retiring. I'd like to see their cost benefit analysis 'genetically engineered boomerflu vs guillotine production'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Der Shovel posted:

Well the first rule of reading any official figures or numbers the PRC releases is "don't believe any official figures or numbers the PRC releases".

Well yeah, I'd expect them to only report 10% of cases or whatever but to shift the demographics up like that seems like an odd move.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I've heard that DMT is effective in stopping coronavirus

You heard it here first folks.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Things looking grim over there. Imagine the US government shutting down all international travel as well as travel in and out of 13 cities over Christmas.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/25/world/asia/china-coronavirus.amp.html posted:

RIGHT NOWThe State Department has ordered all American workers at the United States Consulate in Wuhan to evacuate.

China said on Saturday that it would suspend all tour groups and the sale of flight and hotel packages for its citizens headed overseas, starting on Monday.

The Beijing city government also announced on Saturday that it would suspend all inter-province buses from Sunday, effectively limiting road travel into the capital.

Wuhan also tightened its restrictions further on Saturday with a ban on vehicle traffic in the city center, to begin at midnight.

Travel restrictions in Wuhan and 12 other cities have essentially penned in 35 million people on the country’s biggest holiday, normally a time for traveling to visit family.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bip Roberts posted:

hell it's just good business, bring the masks to Wuhan to sell, bring the flu back to expand your market.

Infect the masks with the flu. Now you're thinking like a captain of industry.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sab0921 posted:

This is exactly what happened with SARS. A doctor treating victims went to Hong Kong for one night, stayed in a hotel and infected everyone on his floor who then spread it across the world.

If a super spreader was at the Wuhan Airport, this makes sense. I could also be in denial of how bad it is and trying to rationalize best case scenarios idk.

As a general rule I assume worst case scenarios, plan for that to happen and then try to wander about assuming it'll be mostly not terrible. Glad I don't work in food service anymore.

Hail Satan.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hungry posted:

One Olive Garden server is going to infect like 100 boomers/day.

Self correcting socio-econo-political problems.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Waiting to see how ice takes advantage of deathly Ill illegals going to hospitals. Probably throw them in detention with the healthy and justify mass deportations as a health risk. :smith:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Zil posted:

Don't give those ghouls ideas

Guarantee they're way ahead. I had to tap the devious rear end in a top hat part of my brain and theirs are running at maximum shithead 24/7

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SeXReX posted:

Literally just got harassed about "not being a team player" because I didn't want to come in and give everyone this poo poo I got.

Open letter to HR/CEO: I'm very disappointed in -boss-'s blatant disregard for the health of my fellow employees and poor attitude for ongoing operational viability. Excessive workplace sickness can seriously impact profitability and....

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SeXReX posted:

I work for UPS the CEO would give him a bonus for putting company profits over employee safety.

Send boss and CEO a hard copy. Cough on it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Charlz Guybon posted:

A quick google search says 10-25% of the population gets the flu each year.

Using the Wuhan numbers I quoted earlier as a base (3.68% dead, 20.74% serious, 4.68% critical)

If 10% get sick that's 27,600,000 dead world wide, 35,100,000 critical and 155,550,000 serious.
If 15% get sick that's 41,400,00 dead world wide, 52,650,000 critical and 233,325,000 serious
If 20% get sick that's 55,200,000‬ dead world wide, 70,200,000 critical and 311,100,000‬ serious.
If 25% get sick that's 69,000,000 dead world wide, 87,750,000 critical and 388,875,000‬ serious.

Obviously hospitals would be overwhelmed by these numbers and if critical cases necessitates a respirator or ventilator nearly all of them would die since there aren't nearly enough.

Not noice

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Colonel Cancer posted:

Plague inc is an amazing game but so far I'm failing to eradicate all humans. So don't worry guys our descendants will survive if heavily inbred :wink:

Half remembering this but apparently humanity hit a bottle neck in africa back in the day, down to about 50,000 individuals. We'll be fine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Until someone figured out an HIV vaccine. Then HIV is basically relegated to sub populations in third world countries and subpopulations of extremely affluent countries. I bet antivaxxers would be all over an HIV vaccine. Just not for their kids.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Another Bill posted:

Not specifically about Coronavirus but you may want to check your assumptions

Stockpiling resources from the poor and refusing to use it to cure a disease because it isn't the best way to get more money from the poor sounds like capitalism a crime against humanity to me. I hope everyone involved in that decision making process dies horribly from an easily curable disease.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oddly, there were some lessons learned from the Vegas shooting that may end up saving lives here. That was an event that absolutely swarmed hospitals very quickly with critical patients, and they quickly decided to do things like stuff two patients on one ventilator and work out the math so that it could keep both alive.

That sounds crazy. How quickly can manufacturers go from order to hospital use with that sort of equipment. Weeks probably?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Minrad posted:

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/full/10.1098/rspb.2013.2570

it's not a pronounced effect, but it's something to keep in mind. nowadays if I've got sick days or time off, I just take it and suffer and tend to get over colds faster. if I have to work, I take medicine and stay sick longer, though that could just as well be from working while sick because lmao america

Attention: Cold and Flu Medication
To: All Staff
CC: CEO, CFO, BOD

Attention all staff:

It is now against company policy to take cold and flu medication while on paid sick leave.

You must have a doctor's prescription for any medication taken during paid sick leave.

Friendly reminder about our 'Tell us and help us!' initiative. If you notify HR regarding any employees violating policy you could win a $10 Arby's gift card!

Thank you for your cooperation! Great work guys.

HR

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

RandomBlue posted:

Negative. I am a predatory chemistry.

Did you make that up? It's really good.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I am not a clever man

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Joe Bogan posted:

These are called "ice skates", google it my friend your mind will be blown

Staggering awkwardly after your victim like a boss.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

QuarkJets posted:

It'd be really cool if the numbers could stop growing exponentially

They definitely will. Eventually.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What are the odds Chinese officials took a long hard look at their population structure, pollution levels, water availability and food production forecasts and decided to let it run its course? Or did they just bungle and underreport numbers because that's just the way things are done?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

riseofmydick posted:

This is just stupid. Why do people reason like this. If he dies it's because he starved. People die from starvation all the time. Why do we feel we need to claim it's the fault of someone specific when people die of starvation? 100 years ago there'd be no chance anyone would be saved via food drops from anything from famine to crop failure to underproduction to hording.

So why now?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

All these folks saying they're thinking logically but they can't even tell me what skolematization is smh

It's when you drink a whole Coronavirus in one go. :guinness:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

What the gently caress does this guy actually think he's doing? There must be some internal logic bubbling around in there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Staying at a hotel after picking up possible plague carrying foreigners from the airport. I might be doomed but at least I can pinch two rolls of TP before checkout.

E: can also confirm Canadian cities less busy. Some popular bars are instituting 80% max capacity rules, periodically spraying down bathrooms with disinfectant and asking patrons not to share appetizers. Brave measures indeed.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 15, 2020

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
They just closed the ski hill in town. Probably for the best but tourism and hospitality counts for a suicidal percentage of the towns income. All the ski bums, servers and hotel staff are going to be even broker than usual and have nothing to do. String of infectious house parties before a mass migrate back to Australia and the UK. Like a stupid std riddled plague crusade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
My houseguests are desperately trying to get home. Spent all day on hold to change one flight at significant cost and now the connecting flight is cancelled. They're gonna be stuck here forever.