Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Winnie the poo poo posted:

Maryland doesn't require masks in gyms

I feel like I learn something new every day about specific state covid regulations and what they leave out that makes me go :psypop:

congrats on the vaccine tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't mean to come off as an rear end, but if you want to make sure not to get infected, you move should not be "invite people over and wear an N95 mask". It should be "don't invite people over".

I still can't shake the feeling that the proliferation of mask-wearing is contributing to spread1. A lot of people seem to mistakenly assume it's OK to stay indoors with other people for extended periods, as long as everyone masks up.

1 Compared to not wearing a mask but isolating.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not a Trumper, I'm just paranoid and don't trust masks to keep people safe.

honestly, from what i've seen, the people who are most likely to hang out with a bunch of people are also the people who are more lax about mask wearing (or wearing a mask correctly). but that could just be anecdotal

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

i bet if you dug that article up it would be written by an epidemiologist virologist doctor economist of some sort.

yup, a Brown University economist named Emily Oster. who is tripling down on it for sunk cost fallacy reasons. gotta love it

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

indiscriminately posted:

There was a paper in Science [from way back in September, and just an observational study, and about India] that suggested kids have been key to the spread of the virus:

Largest COVID-19 contact tracing study to date finds children key to spread, evidence of superspreaders

Has understanding/interpretation changed in the months since or are people who believe otherwise just confusing policy response with science?

I think any different understanding stems from the desire for people to return to work, and having kids in schools makes that a lot easier. the intellectual justification comes afterwards; its like a confirmation bias sorta thing. nevermind if it's actually safe to return to in-person work or school! gotta make that economy go brrr

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Sono posted:

Can someone give me a link to reliable n95s in bulk? I know there's plenty earlier in the thread, but no idea how many tens or hundreds of pages ago.

Still the better assumption that anything on Amazon is counterfeit?

this site has a few different types of n95s and kn95s

https://bonafidemasks.com/

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Platystemon posted:

“Feeling of impending doom” is—no joke—a potential vaccine side effect.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

It’s in appendix D.

thankfully im immune to this side effect because i experience it like at least once a week already :smug:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm not even registered to vote in this area and they didn't check a drat thing with me. I coulda been from anywhere.

in RI they're partially doing things by zipcode (like, hardest-hit zipcodes were added to the eligibility list) so i actually did need to bring something with my address on it along with my license (which has my old address). so if something is by zipcode or by city you might need to be careful. but i have no idea if any other state is doing it that way

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Got my first dose of Moderna yesterday (And I just got my appointment for my next dose. Thanks Riteaid!). Other than maybe some minor chills after getting the shot and a bit of soreness where the shot is, no noticeably big side effects so far. This vaccine ain't poo poo :v:

Seriously though I do kind of wish it were more pronounced so I could be sure it is working :ohdear:

most ppl get the really heavy side-effects with the second one. some chills and soreness sounds about right for a first shot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

there's a difference between "staying in your bunker" and "doing more stuff than you could do before, but still with a mask on, and still not *EVERYTHING* you could do before"

the latter seems very reasonable to me but a lot of ppl seem to think it's the equivalent of the former for some reason!