Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I survived World War III without stumbling around blind and on fire before making GBS threads my guts out, so I’ll take dying of the sniffles now rather than dying in a clean water stampede in 25 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Normal masks do little, N95 masks like for people doing contracting are about 85% effective for other coronaviruses. Add a face shield and get N99 or N99.7 (N100) masks and that goes up more. You need disposable N95 masks or disinfected reusable ones and you need a lot. Of course the space suits are 99.9% effective

Health care peeps in Wuhan itself are hosed cuz they ran out of the ppe. That's where the rumors of the ppe not being effective come from. Don't reuse disposable ppe, try real hard not to run out of ppe

I have really high levels of pee pee.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mooey Cow posted:

lmao that people actually think gas masks are gonna protect them while walking around in the streets.

Wash you are gosh dang hands people!!! You get infected by touching an infected surface someone blew their nose on, then rubbing your gross hands all over your face.

I’m seeing a lot of people wearing the masks here in Scotland (I work in a University and live in an area with a lot of overseas students) and I keep getting anxious about innocently coughing and terrifying them.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Well considering that just 3 feet of distance between people can drastically reduce viral spread maybe the best way to stay not sick is to walk around coughing all day, people will be terrified of you and give you a nice wide berth.

Nice, and they said cigarettes would kill me!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Drone_Fragger posted:

heard that 2000 people were in contact with infectious chinese persons who flew back to the UK before the ban on leaving came into force, so basically the UK is now plague island. the government is covering it up so far but the hospitals are already turning people away and the ambulance service no longer responds to calls.

Can confirm that the UK is plague island, that much is true.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Chrs posted:

Source: Pulled out of your rear end in a top hat

My favourite thing about posts like Drone Fragger’s is people forgetting that people in Europe can also use the internet and simply ask ‘excuse me, what the gently caress?’

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Does this one give you wild fever dreams? Because the time I crawled across my house to be sick in the toilet so ‘Sonic didn’t lose his coins from India’ was something.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

I mean, it’s great I’d probably survive and get a chance to rewatch my Twin Peaks boxset, but I would rather my friends with CF or elderly grandparents didn’t cop it choking on melted lung. So I’m not blasie about it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jamsta posted:

https://twitter.com/barnaby_flower/status/1222823182291226627

Looks like all the 13 year olds on SA will be safe...

Urgh, those post apocalyptic movies where all the adults are dead are the weakest ones. Who’s really out there stanning for ‘Night of the Comet’?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Corpse-pit excavator is a job and also the name of my new grindcore band.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

stephenthinkpad posted:

That would be a sensible thing to do, But Mister DICK POUND said if its cancelled, there would be no postponing, no delay, no reschedule.

And the Japanese have spent 3 trillions on the Olympics already. That would properly kill the Japanese economy for good. THREE TRILLIONS.

So what you're saying is that this would lead to teenage biker gangs battling it out around the abandoned Olympic stadium?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

evilmiera posted:

Hell yes the Dow opened almost 1000 points down today (it is now only 800 points but I am fairly sure today is not going to be positive).

All joking aside, the Dow just shaving off a year's worth of gain in five days probably means something to someone.

Apparently it should mean something to non-rich people who literally needed the film "Trading Places" to teach them what stocks are (like me) because it impacts pensions and stuff, but what kind of idiot would invest for their future when they'll be drowned in their own lungs by April anyway?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Enfys posted:

I went to reply to this and immediately touched my face without thinking for no identifiable reason

I will not stop sticking my fingers in my nose then mouth then nose again for any man, beast or god.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

Yeah the way to help people understand this isn't the personal death rate, but the 20% of severe cases that need hospital care, and as soon as hospitals get overrun oops all those critical cases who need hospital care don't get any hospital care

I don't think many people view risk that way, though. Sure, 20% of the infected will need that hospital care but people are still at the "I probably wont get it" stage by and large.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Just use cold water. Things cant survive in the cold (except seals and penguins I guess) and the water is crisp and clear meaning its clean (no signs of dirt). Stop buying into big hygiene's lies and coddling your immune system.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean among goon diagnoses. People who absolutely did not have it saying whatever the last random illness they had was "probably" this

I had a beer too many on Saturday and felt really groggy and had a mild headache on Sunday so I've bought 400 reams of toilet paper, a bunch of canned chilli and started a new Witcher III save to ride this out.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I'm heading from the US to Scotland in July and wondering if it's gonna happen.

I think we've got one case so far and it's in Dundee, so unless you're really into Marmalade, terrible traffic and quaint comics that are only sustained by Boomer nostalgia, so far so good.

All bets are off once someone finds a way to deep-fry the virus though.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 3, 2020

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sneak Lemming posted:

Like 2000AD Judge Dredd comics?

Nah, they're based down in England somewhere. And besides they're fuelled by Gen X nostalgia.

The Beano/Dandy, The Broons, Oor Wullie and the like are or have been based there. They're odd in that they're institutions, but I just can't imagine kids enjoying them.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Has anyone seen the patch notes for Covid-19 and if its worth upgrading from Covid-18?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I know I've been joking and japing a lot in this thread, but I'm beginning to get really frightened and I don't know what to do.

It's a matter of time before they start delaying games with themes relating to viruses and quarantine and what if they delay Resident Evil 3? :ohdear:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Does Costco sell pee?

Any American lager will suffice

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Amarcarts posted:

Are there any diseases we've ever actually stopped other than smallpox?

Haven't heard of any new cases of the Cooties since I was 8.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
So when I get this what kind of nose gold can I anticipate? Big old salty crunchers or gooey mozzarella?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

monkeytennis posted:

Off to do a big Tesco shop in the morning. Hope they’ve got some bog roll left!

I was in a large Sainsbury's earlier and they had decent supplies of toilet roll and handwash, didn't see any panic buyers to point and laugh at.

But in regards to wearing masks in the UK, what can you do other than be alert and informed? The actions of people who want to cosplay The Walking Dead scare me more than the virus does at the moment, although I know it's nothing to gently caress around with.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 8, 2020

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Delta-Wye posted:

....virus good?

Must sting to know Corvid-19 has a way higher body count than the Zodiac killer.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caconym posted:

Probably in some fashion, but no info on that as part of the announcement.

They'll need to be, or they're sitting on a timebomb there too of a different sort.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mrfart posted:

Patient zero

Not saying it isn't true, but I really haven't seen much about re-infected people.
But yeah, if this thing doesn't go away late spring like the flu and people can get re-infected, a vaccine is the only hope.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything solid. There was the Japanese tour guide who had it again IIRC, but wasnt that chalked up to the initial infection being present? I know it's probably too early to tell, but I'd like to know what's happening there.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

unpacked robinhood posted:

Lol yeah the aids vaccine has been only 5 years away my whole life.

Yikes! Maybe stop having birthdays so we can cure AIDs then. Unbelievable.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

salt shakeup posted:

This is making me incredibly anxious. The guy above me is right. Why would they leave those wings.

Don't want the flew.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mrfart posted:

At least make customers disinfect their hands before entering. Apparently the virus lasts pretty long on plastic and I’m guessing vinyl too.

Although if your customers are touching the surfaces of the records, please cough in their faces and/or shoot them.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

GORDON posted:

A lot of people who will be killed by Corvid were going to die 5 minutes later anyway, either by the regular old flu, complications from another disease, or just the next good, hard sneeze. I'd like to see "Were going to die anyway" numbers alongside the kill-predictions of Corvid.

Not being a nay-sayer, I just want good data.

I was trying to find a way to say this that didn't sound callous, and it's hard not to. But yeah, I'm curious.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Philthy posted:

I dunno if you're in the US or not, but it feels like this here because it hasn't really begun yet, and the deaths that have happened have been low enough that they haven't been felt.

The stores here pretty much sold out yesterday. TP, Water, Paper towels all gone. 2/3 food gone.

I think people have it in their mind expecting that people will be falling over dead on the streets like we were seeing in China and we haven't quite hit that point yet so it's "no big deal". We're only at 1700+ confirmed infections. Once we hit 50k+ I think the smug poo poo will be gone.

It wont be long before everybody knows someone who has lost someone at the very least. That's so grim to think about, but I think it'll happen in a blink.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Eh! Frank posted:

Need to start spreading this among facebook and nextdoor groups, see if enough people start falling for it that they'll stop hoarding tp

You really want to contend with unwiped boomer arse stink, though?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sneak Lemming posted:

It's the first sign in my city that's for sure. We havn't had any panic buying of toilet paper, everywhere is still open, I was on campus and its still full of people, city center is also full of people, same with the cafe I'm in. There is no noticable difference yet

I'm noticing a difference now (I'm in Scotland). I needed supplies for my animals yesterday (standard ones, not panicked ones) and walked through a local entertainment complex as a shortcut and still jam packed with kids birthday parties and bowlers. Real weird vibe.

But one local uni has stopped face to face teaching, some stores are shutting down, a local bar lead the charge on shutting for three months (which I think might be excessive and I really worry for the staff, but at least its action) and I've seen a lot of empty shelves.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

pixaal posted:

The general population does not understand diseases. Remember how over half the kids in your highschool didn't get basic bio and chem? They are now your bosses.

Here's the thing; I (sadly) am not a big science guy. Did okay enough in Chemistry at school but my maths brain is weak so knew it probably wasnt to be my path.

I still have enough literacy to understand information I'm being told and I'm generally pretty good at judging my sources. I understand not getting science on a technical level, but do these people simply not understand information that has been pre-prepared for consumption by laymen? The lack of general literacy I'm seeing, often from people in authority positions, is horrifying.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Clitch posted:

I'm a little irritated at the contractor my wife works for. Her job is 100% doable from home, but her shithead boss is one of those "It's just the flu!" fuckers, and she's still expected to go into the office until further notice.

He has 3 young children and a recently chemo'd, extremely immunocompromised wife.

This man has murdered his wife.

Okay. That was too harsh. Its manslaughter.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

smoobles posted:

There are at least two reports of people being diagnosed, recovering, then getting infected again.

I don't know what that means exactly, but it's scary.

It doesnt seem to mean much at this stage. Could be due to screw ups or anomalies, this could be unlike any other illness. From my understanding, it's too early to tell, but it doesnt appear to be the case that it's some kind of infinitely recurring illness in anywhere near each and every case. But definitely a sobering thought.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bomrek posted:

The cast of big brother doesn't know about roni yet and no one knows quite how to break it to them

"Have you read Blindness by Saramago... wait, no, you're Big Brother contestants... Okay, have you seen Doomsday by Neil Marshall? Well..."

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

hofnar posted:

Just dropped in to see how the annual SA existential panic is going

OK looks good, carry on

Do we get to skip one in 2021 since we're on our second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Xguard86 posted:

Sounds like they're focusing on medical and basic goods. They probably have lists of surging products and have decided to prioritize around that.

So... that's good? At least if you want soap and rubbing alcohol.

Is the steelbool edition of DooM Eternal with numbered Cyberdemon statue on that list? Please?