Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

empty whippet box posted:

200k is the laughably, childishly stupid estimate that's basically a dream scenario of "if we were doing absolutely everything right for the last 6 months, this is the best number we could hope for" while what we have actually been doing is one or two steps away from 'absolutely jack poo poo'

the current strategy is to underreport deaths and cases as much as possible and get the chud hivemind out there questioning the numbers that do come out to try to soften the blow to big wet president daddy because that's all that really matters
If 2 million people die, everyone will at least know someone who knew someone who died. A slight minority might know someone who die. Everyone will know someone that was in critical condition and was in real danger of dying.

If we speedrun this, have 10% cfr and 50% infected, most everyone will know someone who died.

Underreporting does not bring people back from the dead, and the expert estimates for the death toll are currently growing exponentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

what orgs can I donate to to support nurses and other healthcare workers?

or will their pay be cut by any donations received?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Plinkey posted:

dont forget the new upswing in like 6 months if immunity is like the flu

So there will be an upswing, but it won't be the flu.

The flu a and b are RNA viruses; this guy is a DNA virus. Because of those oxy groups this corona virus is far more stable than flu b or a. Basically RNA is so unstable that it mutates, and the vaccine is based on them growing a million strains of it based on the previous season and seeing what the most common mutations are. Really more art than science.

This guy probably isn't going to change that much. And in the summer months the spread SHOULD abate.

However, it won't vanish. It'll hang around, getting passed silently within the population. And then when things get cool again, and people start getting simple common colds or we just stop with all these precautions, it'll come back with a vengeance.

This is also why we won't have sports at all this year if people are smart.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Truly the darkest of all conceivable timelines

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I want Trump to be on Hannity bitching about the whiners who weren't happy with their rain poncho PPE.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

nice

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm currently writing up the April corona thread OP. I'm kinda stumped on links & resources to add.

So far I have:

Does anyone have suggestions for anything else useful to add here for off-site resources?

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

https://infection2020.com/

Maybe?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vox Nihili posted:

Truly the darkest of all conceivable timelines

It could be the Reds

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

I am all the responses say at least it wasn't a Mets poncho.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

drat son, makes me want to get high and have my penis in someones mouth while their penis is in my mouth too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Elderbean posted:

Not defending delivery, just noting that its unlikely that you'll get sick from a pizza because surface transmission isn't how most people are getting sick, especially if they're washing their hands and face.

Its respiratory, you mostly get it by sharing the same air with a sick person.

yeah just don't literally inhale the food or jam it up your nose.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah just don't literally inhale the food or jam it up your nose.

gently caress you you don't tell me what to do with my tuesday night.

for real though the great takeout twitter thing is really worrisome to me because a lot of people are going to not take proper precautions and will just go get stuff and shove chips in their mouth on the way home. not that I know from personal experience three weeks ago or anything.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

FizFashizzle posted:

The flu a and b are RNA viruses; this guy is a DNA virus. Because of those oxy groups this corona virus is far more stable than flu b or a. Basically RNA is so unstable that it mutates, and the vaccine is based on them growing a million strains of it based on the previous season and seeing what the most common mutations are. Really more art than science.

This guy probably isn't going to change that much. And in the summer months the spread SHOULD abate.

However, it won't vanish. It'll hang around, getting passed silently within the population. And then when things get cool again, and people start getting simple common colds or we just stop with all these precautions, it'll come back with a vengeance.

This is all wrong actually. The virus that causes COVID19 is a single stranded RNA virus. It mutates a lot, which is why a vaccine is difficult to create.

quote:

Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2),[1][2] previously known by the provisional name 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV),[3][4][5] is the cause of the respiratory disease coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Taxonomically, it is a strain of the Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus (SARSr-CoV),[1] a positive-sense single-stranded RNA virus.[6]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome_coronavirus_2

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool, cool,

this is the nursing home that my aunt works at as the nursing home administrator.

she's planning to retire at the end of the month, we'll see how that goes.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Subway
Eat Fresh

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

FizFashizzle posted:

SARS-CoV-2 is a single-stranded RNA virus. However, like SARS-CoV, it has a proofreading mechanism that slows down mutation rate significantly.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Plinkey posted:

cool, cool,

this is the nursing home that my aunt works at as the nursing home administrator.

she's planning to retire at the end of the month, we'll see how that goes.

gently caress.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

BLACK PILL
https://twitter.com/Barnes_Law/status/1245131676444954624?s=20
https://twitter.com/justin_hart/status/1245090098527404032?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cool cool, New Orleans is gonna be under the Mississippi when hurricane season hits. I guess that'll solve the covid problem.

https://twitter.com/WXXV25/status/1245132280177340419

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

gently caress.

i went over to drop some stuff off for them like two-three weeks ago (booze because the PA liqour stores were closing) and she said they have basically zero PPE other than meal prep gloves, and and no idea if they could get any.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Yep, because the current death toll is definetely final and not growing by more and more each day.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

SARS-CoV-2 is a single-stranded RNA virus. However, like SARS-CoV, it has a proofreading mechanism that slows down mutation rate significantly.

viral Clippy is going to help us save society

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
:Its Happening!:

https://komonews.com/news/local/everett-man-arrested-in-landlords-death

quote:

EVERETT, Wash. — Police have arrested a man on suspicion of murder and tampering with physical evidence after investigators said they believe he killed his landlord.

The Daily Herald reported Monday that the wife of the landlord went looking for her overdue husband Saturday after he went to check on one of their commercial properties in southeast Everett.

The woman told authorities that her husband's truck and cellphone were outside and she saw a tenant cleaning up drops of blood outside their rental property.

nvestigators say Everett police officers later broke into the apartment to discover the smell of bleach. No body was found.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"wake me up when the death toll from 9/11 has surpassed vehicle crash deaths" but with preventable disease

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

I would correct them and say the baseline case was 2.2 million deaths but they're already preparing for how to shift the goalposts to there anyway.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Is hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine saving or killing people?

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

i can't believe cspam provoked someone to do this, very ghoulish

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

Der Meister posted:

there are quite a few doctors that post on SA

The NBA thread in SAS is full of learned doctors

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hit Man posted:

only if they include A

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

I am all the responses say at least it wasn't a Mets poncho.

Love da Mets.....

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Hit Man posted:

saving people from malaria

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

i can't believe cspam provoked someone to do this, very ghoulish

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lol owned

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i saw some woman on tv (i'm pretty sure she's that "trump analyzes data he's so smart" person) with a chart showing some huge downward curve in...something. anyone know what that's about?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VectorSigma posted:

saving people from malaria

and killing people with lupus since they can't get it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Lol goddamn they cleaned up the body quick

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Sharkie posted:

i saw some woman on tv (i'm pretty sure she's that "trump analyzes data he's so smart" person) with a chart showing some huge downward curve in...something. anyone know what that's about?

if i had to guess, probably just playing up the testing and reporting slowdown that occurs on weekends

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

703 posted:

make your pizza dough or by premade ones like boboli and a ball of mozz, jar of pizza sauce and some pepperonis. I've found home made pizzas a nice easy meal when i'm too depressed to spend any real amount of time cooking

Even a lovely frozen pizza is pretty good if you add stuff to it. I bought a bunch of Totino's Pizzas for 30 cents on sale awhile back and every now and then I'll pull one out of the freezer and add some fresh sliced mushrooms, fresh tomato, sliced serrano peppers, and some extra shredded cheese and it's actually decent after 10 minutes in the oven.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Uh, I said rent strike Jeff...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1245081534887088128?s=20
https://twitter.com/Liz_Wheeler/status/1244779845441032192?s=20
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1242850700113014784?s=20
https://twitter.com/donnaimamTX/status/1245132983830564866?s=20

social distancing is a partisan issue