Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What about the royalist commie tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dubliners suck

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Was there a historic period where they did better or have they always been very small in the republic?

Also it's slightly funny seeing people (presumably Irish) on twitter fretting about "the party of the IRA" winning so many votes.

Depending on what you mean by Sinn Fein of course. In 1918 they won almost all the seats! But the current party didn't run candidates for the Dail until the 1980s and didn't win their first TD until 1997.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I hate to ask but rating them how?

They upload their photos to hot or not dot com and let the masses decide. In the best of British traditions, only the Nots get to survive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Blut posted:

The line in her tweet slightly further down that thread:

"I don’t believe that our pathway to a just and free society lies in electoral politics.”

Is both pretty horrifying, and says a lot about her

Horrifying? Mate, if you haven't looked at the world around us and come to a similar conclusion I don't know what to tell you.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1321759570692345857?s=20

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1321763069727485952?s=20

Ah yes, the Harry Potter TD. It's uncanny.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's exciting for the Irish Politics thread to have your own Pissflaps. Congratulations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

I thought the Wee Frees were a Scottish thing

Somehow the Northern Irish bunch manage to be far scarier than the almost quaint lunatics of the Free Church of Scotland.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

It's almost like taking several punches and kicks to the head might alter your mental faculties over time.

Or maybe McGregor was always broken.

The mountains of coke on top of the brain trauma probably doesn't help

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I missed Jimmy Carr's execution, will it be on the BBC iPlayer to catch up? Could do with a giggle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

Guess Peader Tóibín, the lone Aontú member, just said gently caress it and outed Soldier F from Bloody Sunday in the Dáil. Looks like he wants to start a loving war.

Wasn't the shite already named in the House of Commons by an SDLP MP?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They aren't common in the UK either as far as I know. I assume they were once upon a time because people would have needed a cold cellar to store food in, and presumably later a coal bunker, but unless you live in a very old house I don't know of anywhere that has one, or even a separate half buried cellar in a hillside etc.

For some places it makes sense, I assume the southeast of england isn't great ground for it, but it's not even done up here where we have lots of hills and solid ground. It is odd that some parts of the world kept making them while others didn't.

Place I stayed in Sheffield had a basement. Which just seemed to be where cardboard boxes went to die

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

crispix posted:

blocking roads being the default loyalist response to anything they dislike, a response i have never quite understood

Blocking the roads until protestant birth rate goes up

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a reason for that specifically? People moving? Conversions of all things?

Ever see Monty Python's The Meaning of Life? The song Every Sperm Is Sacred is the answer.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Best bit is in the replies

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1500849103143682051?t=eXNIkjtkH5kM4kASNEE9nQ&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Maggie Thatcher Death Day

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Sorry, majority of people in political offices?

Nah, they use PR, no one will have a majority. But Sinn Fein coming first would still be a historical result in NI

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40903220.html

Some galaxy brain solutions to housing problems down here, burn down the existing place so you can get the permission.

At least when suspect arson happens in Glasgow it's because someone wants to knock down a listed building to turn it into flats.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Caro still isn't a Nazi, and has also gone to Ukraine apparently.

Learning from your past mistakes is for cowards

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

If it is, then it's next to the pillows where you sleep and beg God to get rid of your sense of smell..

Running around Dublin desperately trying to get covid just to be able to sleep

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

School Nickname posted:

Got the COVID booster like two weeks before Christmas so didn't want to be floored around the Holiday. The boosters have given me the worst fevers of my life, but luckily I can get the flu shot today at my local pharmacy.

I got both on the same day & ended up with hideous Diarrhoea. You made the right choice

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Marenghi posted:

https://twitter.com/BrigidLaffan/status/1639336202892455936

This lady has written a bunch of opinion pieces calling Catherine Connolly a Putinist, calling for us to abandon our neutrality and push for more European involvement in the Ukraine war. And now she's praising an actual fascist who shares her beliefs. Even the account she's sharing is using the anti-russian slur 'orcs'.

Didn't take long for all these anti-peace liberals to out themselves as blood thirsty fascists.

Watching a bunch of liberals rub themselves raw to Meloni has been extremely gross and extremely predictable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

As facts and context are important

Not sure that's true OP

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Ciara Ahern the Garda press officer has deleted her twitter.

https://twitter.com/dliodore/status/1670071247001010177

I only caught the start of it, and this. But she retweeted about her office winning the best PR award, received some mild criticism to which she responded very flippantly, but was getting liked and retweeted by lots of far right accounts, some of who she follows. Some people did a quick dive into her past and found she worked on Creightons Renua election campaign. Once that came out she deleted her account.

The AGS being ran by the far-right would explain why they are such a gentle touch on the far-right but crack down hard on the left and workers.

Is that not just a universal truism of the police under capitalism? Their job is to defend property rights and who wants to Abolish private property? The left? Who has the least property to defend? Workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Of course not, I was the guy who was defending the Giant's Causeway in the first place.

I'm going to go to Iceland in 2026 and see the eclipse and as many weird rocks as possible.

Come to Scotland in 2025 and come see Fingal's Cave on Staffa, it's like Giant's Causeway's end point, giants lived in the cave.