Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

this is a good time for a new thread

This expensive cabbage just got a supermarket fined half a million yuan.

I had to wait in line for like 2 hours to get some potatoes the other day but they were normal price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

No no no China is leading the world in green tech

nevermind all those banned gasses leaking into the atmosphere from China pay no attention.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

spacestronaut posted:

So as an American trans woman, just how quickly would I vanish if I were to set foot on the mainland. (Aside from shenzhen, I've heard Americans can get away with a lot more there.)

You probably wouldn't.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Booty Pageant posted:

many threads ago i posted a tumblr vid of two trans ladies performing fellatio on each other in a hotpot diner booth with their totally straight male friends next to them

Excuse me mister this is 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Dude said he was frequently told he looked like Keanu Reeves

Gonna be honest that's not really what I pictured in my head.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

You regularly drop slurs in random posts like all the time dude.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

hakimashou posted:

If you are in China you should leave and if you're planning to go, you shouldn't.

I'm gonna stay cuz if this is what kills me it makes for an interesting death.

I'll stay until my ramen runs out.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

hakimashou posted:

I had a friend who died of a respiratory infection in China it wasn’t cool!

poo poo, how did he pick that up?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

oh poo poo I do that

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I was asking why and all I got was the standard good for healthy.

Edit: ok Kaifeng nurse says it 'is a tonic for kidneys and lungs' 'stops bleeding' and ofc is 'good for man'.

It is recommended we all eat it during these trying plague times.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 1, 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

lilbeefer posted:

He's a friend and I dont hate him

What kind of stuff specifically is he going on about?

tbh there's probably not much you can do, but if you're gonna do anything you have to figure out what and why he believes what he does. It's not often about what's true, like you know how batshits on the right argue ridiculous things they know on some level aren't true, but their goal is more to own the libs? It's like that with more misinterpretation of books they haven't read.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

lilbeefer posted:

So much stuff. I don't know where to begin. For example I asked him if he thought that the WHO declaring a global emergency was just media bullshit, and his response was something along the line of "90% yes, and not just any media hype but weaponised media hype, sparking a whole new era of sinophobic"

I didn't even mention china

I mean wether or not it is true, why is it construed as an attacked against china?

Yeah, that makes sense. The problem with a lot of leftist literature is that it's so focused on what America or western organizations have done that it ignores other countries using the same tactics. The authors kind of assume we're going to fill in the blanks, because it should be really obvious. You cant account for every idiot or person who hasn't really thought through their new ideas though. Some countries (basically China, I can't think of another example here, maybe North Korea?) take advantage of this, and so here we are.

I would ask him what he's read lately. But I dont know how you're gonna follow up on that without having read whatever, too.

Edit: With the very little you've told us I kind of suspect your friend is just really new to these ideas and 50/50 shot he comes out of it on his own. You gotta be a special kind of idiot to come to the other conclusion. And if that's the case I dont know if it's worth your time. Most leftists put him in the same camp as reactionaries and liberals, or maybe worse.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 1, 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

GotLag posted:

If that was true there wouldn't be any liberals

man.....

it's 2020 and there's 2 ways to take this

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

you guys ever just say gently caress it and go to the wayback machine and start going back to your mid/late 90s pokemon sites? I wish I was 12 again.

You can find some of the very earliest posts I made on the Internet here, it's up to you to figure out who exactly I am
https://web.archive.org/web/20001206110900/http://www.pewtercity.com/tpcpc/index.html

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

poo poo...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

昨天因为吃鸡被我爸凶了之后我俩一直没有说话
我刚在睡觉我爸直接把书hu我床上 别再玩游戏了!把这书给我看了
不知道你们在家呆那么多天挨吵了吗。。

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

How are u?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Explosive Tampons posted:

a 2001 spam popup about being the nth visitor and winning a prize opened upon entering the link

Archive.org does a really good job of preserving the essence of old websites

drat what did you win?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Didn't Korea bulldoze some pigs a while back too?

We gotta get to the source of all this rampant bulldozing there's something deeper to it all

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Mapodofu. I could eat it every drat day.

Hell yeah. That and a bunch of 狮子头 are impossible not to like.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

LifeSunDeath posted:

serious question, what is the hand hygiene situation like in china?

It's a big country but in my experiences around it, there's not a lot of soap.

Even city run stuff like the train stations, never any soap at all and the squatters get annihilated but people keep using them. Right before this all broke out I was in a terrible bathroom at Zhengzhou East Railway Station, packed with people because of the holiday, and no soap, no running water.

By this time the virus was at least known so you'd think they'd be like "alright well we gotta at least get soap out there" but it didn't happen I guess. It's a big station too, big bathroom, dozens of people going in and out at all times, each with nasty poo poo hands, going around touching whatever they feel like.

Edit: That's not even rare, that's how it always is. The only reason I remember this specifically was because I remember thinking "drat if this plague ends up spreading right here is where it's gonna do it." It ruined my appetite so I was kind pissed about that awful bathroom.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

D-Pad posted:

I mean I saw a ~3 year old poo poo in a bucket his mom was carrying around in the bread aisle of whatever that big french supermarket chain is in Shanghai 2008.

If we're gonna do kids making GBS threads on the floor stories this thread is gonna get real long real fast

pretty sure the kids making GBS threads on the mall floor then the mom covering it up with a little pamphlet stuff I talked about in the last thread

Just last fall my reading spot in the park (it's a little forest park thing, a valley that's full of trees and paths, as secluded as I could get 5 minutes from my apartment) got invaded by public shitters. I guess secluded and around trees is actually an alright place to poo poo, but they'd poo poo and then there'd be a single square or two of toilet paper just casually placed on top of the poo poo, not like they're wiping with it but covering it. There was a fresh poo poo or two every time I went out there, enough that I eventually found a new reading spot.

But why cover the shits? Why not bury them? Why not use the real bathrooms that are a 5 minute walk away cuz this is a park not some way out there hiking trail?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If your clientele is made up of people who may have recently come from China wouldn't it be sensible for them to wear masks outside of China to prevent potentially infecting other people?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Waltzing Along posted:

"We've already cremated him."

"Just add water."

Not shitposting I literally dreamt this scenario 2 nights ago.

So I think this is definitely what happened.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Gold rat only has a 0.0001% chance of spawning after you check cam 2B.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fojar38 posted:

I know that it's beside the point of your post and that this is highly :spergin: on my part but China is not a world superpower. Frankly it's having a hard time just being a regional power

Casually referencing the PRC as a superpower is implicitly giving the CCP more power outside China than they deserve

Come on, man.

You're not wrong or anything but, come on lol

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bamhand posted:

Was thinking about the Oscars, can you imagine if a movie like Parasite came out of China? Apparently people already hate The Farewell because it somehow paints an unflattering picture of China. And also because they couldn't believe a person of Chinese descent could feel alienated in China. Also Awkwafina wasn't attractive.

Anyways, just imagine if China made a good movie. How butt hurt would its citizens and government be?

There are Chinese movies with social messages that are critical of modern Chinese society, and they're pretty popular. They avoid the clear obvious government stuff, but so did Parasite. You just probably don't see them because they don't get released outside of China.

I feel like the Chinese version of 来电狂响 was very specifically designed to make a statement about Chinese life that the original (I think it was a remake of an Italian movie? I never saw the original, but I just know half of it wouldn't make sense if it was entirely the same) didn't. I thought it was a decent movie, too. And 我不是药神 was incredibly popular, that one ever did get press outside of China.

I could probably think of a few more if I had to, I've seen a lot of Chinese movies. They're not as good as Parasite but not many movies ever are.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bamhand posted:

Do you think the hate for The Farewell is anger at what they perceive to be "the west" judging them?

Also why is Wolf Warrior 2 submitted for an Oscar but not ... any other movie?

Man the oscars are a joke, it's like almost a hundred years of "not actually best movies getting awards for being the best movies"

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Super Waffle posted:

So it seems unlikely now with this pandemic, but before all this there was a possibility my company was going to send me to Beijing for work. As I really don't want to go, or quit, what are the best posts I can make on my Facebook to ensure I will get denied a visa? TIA

plague, cholera and yellow fever are all sections of the health check you gotta get before coming.

I think you can get the plague from squirrels in Colorado or something, the others I'm not exactly sure. Get them all together, take the health check, get rid of them. I think this is a fool proof plan I cant really see what could go wrong with it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've got a family member who had to work for a couple months in China and he didn't like the food, but he just ate it anyway and dealt with it because he doesn't have severe autism.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

how come the hotdogs at ikea are too big for the buns?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Media Bloodbath posted:

It's quite delusional to think that something like this happens out of pure incompetence.

You say that man, but... yeah, it does. At least on the software side.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

je1 healthcare posted:

It's not even necessary to deliberately construct a backdoor to satisfy government spies. Western intelligence heavily relies on known exploits and security loopholes that inevitably appear in all software and hardware platforms, and they keep those exploits close to the chest so they don't get patched or used by other entities.

Chinese cyber-security laws requires Chinese tech companies to inform the government of any security loopholes that exist, but it doesn't require them to patch them in a timely manner.

This is a good point, and I suspect it's what we saw last month when Qihoo 360 patched a nasty bug in Firefox.

The whole situation for that one was suspicious, they 'discover' a critical security bug, a drop everything and update bug that had effected Firefox for years, but it had been seen out in the wild long before they reported it and woops no one noticed until just then?

Glad it was patched, kind of suspicious about the circumstances leading to when it was patched.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The junk collector posted:

While it's true that most companies probably would most of the time, they still tell the NSA off from time to time and the NSA often can't compel them. That's why the NSA was going through all the trouble of intercepting Cisco routers in shipping to install backdoors on them years ago. Of course to many people, this is totally equivalent to Huawei building backdoors into their firmware at the request of the CCP.

It's still really, really bad and we don't have to defend this in order to condemn what China does.

I don't think any of these points (if they're true, I doubt Fojar's "being spied on by the US isn't really all that big a deal since we're allies and cooperate with them anyway" argument is really what's going on) are going to convince too many people lol. If anything this kind of thinking opens up a lot more holes in an argument than just condemning all kinds of spying.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fojar38 posted:

My point is that not all countries behave the same. Tankies and totalitarian apologists like to pretend that they do, which is the entire point of the "but America" arguments, yet no Canadians/Europeans/Australians genuinely consider the United States a security threat, certainly not to the degree that it would be a risk to use American technical infrastructure, despite the fact that the USA has demonstrated the ability to literally blow up nuclear centrifuges using cyberwarfare.

At a certain point it begins to come off as "Why are you Taiwanese worried about Chinese bombs? Don't you know that the USA also has bombs that they could theoretically drop on you?" or "Why are you South Koreans worried about the North Korean army when the US army is better positioned to attack you from the bases you're hosting?" Like global affairs are some kind of zero sum Sid Meier game.

For a mountain of political, strategic, and ideological reasons, US allies are fine with the USA having capabilities that they wouldn't want others to have. This is like really obvious and fundamental to any discussion about international relations and so muddying the waters in that regard is critical for Russia/China apologists. Usually, however, it doesn't work because most people live in reality.

I don't even disagree (although I think I'm much more uncomfortable with the way the NSA acts than you) but the problem is, the line of reasoning is counterproductive because it plays exactly into the type of arguing that benefits tankies. Think about how it's going to be read, what is your actual conclusion here besides "America isn't as bad as China"? All this accomplishes is moving the conversation to "but America" which is exactly what you should be trying to avoid if you want to actually criticize a totalitarian party that is not arguing in good faith to begin with.

The only winning move is really

d0s posted:

Having a conversation with a Chinese (citizen) coworker about this topic, and at first he did the reflexive "but the NSA" but pretty much as soon as I said "yeah we do a bunch of shady garbage too, gently caress the NSA, gently caress Trump, blahblah" he kinda blinked like realizing where he was and let out probably years of bad things pent up in his head about the CCP. of course this is a highly educated guy who left and not random wumao but it was crazy how fast it flipped from the programming to the real feelings once he saw some good old fashioned american government bashing

It's also the right, honest position.

Fojar38 posted:

Yeah this is the other advantage the US has in this regard. Being in North America it usually can't be credibly argued that they have territorial ambitions and so in places like Europe it's easy to agree to just let the guys from across the ocean handle defense rather than "those fuckers who have/want our poo poo"
oh man...

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 15, 2020

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Blistex posted:

Took the quick way down some stairs this morning and broke my left Scapula. My mother in law was shocked that the following didn't happen. (her first time seeing a western hospital's ER process)

Sucks man, take care :/

When I broke my foot in Korea after an awesome kick I had pretty good care and was in and out. They only gave me ibuprofen, even though it was bad enough that I needed surgery. But it cost me like nothing and there was nothing sketchy about it.

But if that happened here, gently caress that I'm not getting surgery in China, I'd be out of here even if it cost me thousands.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Goons will never acknowledge the existence of the proletariat.

You're joking around I think. It's true though, because what reason would most goons have to exist alongside China's proletariat.

But man, poo poo sucks right now.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Hey I'm just scrolling past these posts but you're all bitches if you don't own your hardware.

I bought OnePlus for the specific reason that I can do what I want with it. Even xiaomi got lovely with that.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Known Lecher posted:

I kind of admire the fact that the WSJ seems to be going full scorched earth on the CCP - the day after 3 of their reporters got kicked out of China, they're running a guest editorial that ends its first paragraph: "There is no cure for Chinese communism except the collapse of the party."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-facade-of-stability-11582156842

behind a paywall :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

exmachina posted:

it is one of the biggest arguments against the historiography of Jesus.

I don't think this is actually true. I read through basically everything Cicero had written thats survived over the past year and something like half the people he mentions have a footnote saying "We have no record of this person outside of what Cicero says here." But, they were very likely real and important people.

And then there's Seneca's letters to a seemingly important man in I wanna say in Sicily, some position in government. I don't think we know anything about him or have any references to him existing besides Seneca writing his letters to him.

Maybe they were good record keepers, but I think a lot of those records are gone.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 20, 2020