Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Known Lecher posted:

Baffled why a law student would want to cap off their legal studies by spending a semester in a place with an almost complete absence of rule of law or fair judiciary.

Good practice for America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

I know that it's beside the point of your post and that this is highly :spergin: on my part but China is not a world superpower. Frankly it's having a hard time just being a regional power

Casually referencing the PRC as a superpower is implicitly giving the CCP more power outside China than they deserve

Doesn't China own half of Africa? Or was that just Henning Mankell's prediction.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

D-Pad posted:

The most american thing I've ever done was eat the meat of an animal that is extinct in the wild at a bbq on the fourth of July.

Beef?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

This is again one of those things that looks true when you visit Shanghai and write a news article, but is by no means true in general. Only around 55% of the population even have a smartphone.

Goons will never acknowledge the existence of the proletariat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rabelais D posted:

Of all the people in Hong Kong rich expats are by far the worst.

Oh here we go ragging on the immigrants :rolleyes:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rich people think investing in totalitarian countries will make them richer because they have the "the more the worker is oppressed the richer I get" mindset from domestic business and can't break out it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blistex posted:

they just started the transfer process without following their own security procedures, so there isn't really a way to prove fraud.

I'd check to see if it's just "their own security procedures" or some state/federal regulation that they've broken and report them if so. Just for kicks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Japan has absolutely bizarrely low reported cases and deaths so nobody believes they're telling the truth. Seems to be like how they keep their murder rate lower by finding "abandoned bodies" but this time it's people dying from completely unrelated normal flu, definitely not coronavirus.

Will the epidemic finally up-end Japan's (and Europe's Japan's) age pyramid?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

screamin and creamin posted:

OK angry grandpa.

It simply means more speed. Like 4G/LTE and 3G/UMTS(?) before it, “nobody would ever need that” and “they can’t even cover all areas”.

3G is faster than 4G at peak times where I live because everyone connects via 4G. I know this is not because of the tech but still :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Actually, it's LatinX ;-)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

hot take coming through: the fear of us pork is not about health and safety at all but is instead political theater by the KMT

True. It's still not at all safe to eat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Whu-haat?!?! :monocle:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Hayabusa-2 asteroid dust made it back in one piece.

Odd, for dust.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They are all Adrian Zentz.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ailumao posted:

malort is worse than most baijiu i've had.

Ort means "area", ört means "herb". Use the Ö key - it's right between L and Ä.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Hey maybe its some subtle chicago joke.
Malört=bad herb
Malort=bad area :downs:

Mal as in "moth".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dont Touch ME posted:

I think China is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills Ughiurs and doesnt afraid of anything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheBuilder posted:

Personal update - earlier this year or sometime last I posted about my in laws that live in Jiangxi. At that time, the local police showed up to their house asking for copies of my wife's (naturalized US citizen) US passport. She refused to supply her parents with that, but her sister who also lives here, supplied a copy of her green card.

For the last three weeks, the police have returned once each week, most recently yesterday, again asking for copy of my wife's US passport and any copies of her Covid vaccination card. WTF

IDGI. Officials in a country ask for a copy of the passport of a foreign national residing in their country and that's noteworthy because ?!?!?!

e: Oh your wife doesn't reside there? Do they know that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

China... bad?!?!?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gamers rise up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xi is gay and doesn't want people to find out by Googling, because then he'd be hit on constantly and can't handle all that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ailumao posted:

video games

For a certain definition of video games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The conversation is always about how great Finland's schools are, while doing exactly the opposite of that.

*were

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

still better than swedens tho

Swedish schools suppress Finnish. Finnish schools don't suppress Swedish. So you're wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They absolutely do not, but this is the wrong thread to analyse where or who you got that insanity from

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/13/swedens-finns-fear-minority-language-rights-are-under-threat

(The original source isn't The Guardian, obviously.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah I wouldn't go so far as to say rural America is more expensive than urban Japan,

Regardless of how much money you need to make to live in rural America, how are you going to make money in rural America?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's not all that hard if you learn a trade. My buddy was making bank as a welder before he hosed that up

What'd they do?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SerCypher posted:

Yeah I'd be shocked if a lot of them aren't honey pots for various intelligence organizations.

They all will retain your data and sell it to whoever.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BRB going to Lithuania to pick up cell phones from the garbage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CIA
CHINA

Koinkidink?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ilmucche posted:

the best faith a French company could

:thunk:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

But that frankly seems unlikely.

Like ten years before the Soviet Union (mostly) dissolved, people who said the Soviet Union might go away at some point in the future were considered lunatics. Stuff happens :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fornax Disaster posted:

I have a copy of the Canadian Institute of Strategic Studies Spring Proceedings. In it some of Canada’s leading defence experts discuss the ongoing serious threat posed by the Soviet Union and how to counter it into the future.

It’s from 1989.

Well it was drat successful!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Atopian posted:

who I ended up talking to accidentally.

lmao

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

url posted:

In this thread, I don't think we are able to use that term, it has 'baggage'.
Similarly, terming a currency, stock, water table level as 'plunging' is difficult too.

:hmbol:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dongsturm posted:

It could result in something interesting. There are lots of historical examples of people hiding some risqué or subversive messages in art.

Dr. Wertham, don't doxx yourself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Cause there's apparently only a few printers on the planet that can do what they want at the price they want

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

In defense planning you can't just assume your opponent's equipment is crap that doesn't work, that's incredibly irresponsible.

I don't think Grand Fromage is planning on going to war with China?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Atopian posted:

Look, WW1 came as a surprise too.

I'd say no it wasn't but then I'll get probed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

To be fair the Soviets/Russians launch a bunch of rockets out of Kazakhstan, but the area's so remote that it tends not to land on much (usually).

On a different note, this is a couple months old but pretty interesting; https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/06/21/learning-to-ski-in-a-country-of-beginners

I'm more in tune with the skiing side than the China side of things, curious if anyone here has experienced winter sports in China.

Reminded me of the Finnish guy who was coaching the Chinese ski jump team but got shitcanned recently for focusing on results instead of focusing on being mean to the athletes.

E: I say coaching, but apparently he built the entire team up from non-ski-jumpers in three years. It'll be interesting to see them in the Olympics.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 14, 2021