Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Sunglass Hut has a much harsher (and weirder) twitter game than I would have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

bones 4 beginners posted:

I might have just gotten lucky somehow but every public bathroom I've been in in Hong Kong has had soap, running water, and some way to dry your hands. Even random public ones on trails that I thought for sure would be disgusting were not. So coming from the mainland, it was a real relief. I had all the good public toilets in Wuhan memorized and it was not an extensive list.

Yeah, Hong Kong changed a lot after SARS, toilets used to be super gross, unless you could use your white privilege to go poop in the bathrooms of a hotel lobby, they were awesome and a little old guy in a starched white Mao jacket who lived in there would hand you a folded cloth towel to dry your hands with. <sigh>

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Please, it's Clancy. The pangolins would be pregnant not underage.

Why not both?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Ziv Zulander posted:

That thing about them lasting forever is just a myth too. They last longer than they should, but they’ve still got eggs in em, and anything with eggs has a definite shelf life

I read this and I was thinking "bug eggs?" but then I realized you meant chicken eggs, which I didn't associate with Twinkies.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Despera posted:

Wish there was a way for a MMA fighter to beat the poo poo out of TCM

"And in the red corner, about to embark on world tour, he's the flu from wu, the cytokine storm, NCoV 19!"

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm amazed any of these guys were allowed a grenade until they had done the "Private! throw this bucket of grenade size rocks over that wall one at a time, now go pick up the rocks!" drill 20 times while a drill instructor screamed at them.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Fojar38 posted:

Dude, you're claiming that this pre-modern earthquake killed 4 times more people than Hiroshima and Nagasaki getting loving nuked did

If they had written down 5 million were killed would you believe that too

A couple of burst dams, cholera, a period of warlordism and the ensuing famine, why not?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Atopian posted:

I always had a soft spot for the various equine encephalitis viruses (EEVs) - don't much care between EEEV / WEEV / VEEV / etc.

After years of crunching through editing articles on "bat reservoir" or "swine origin" or "when's the next coronavirus due?", it would have been cool to get a horse-flavoured apocalypse.

Commissioned a couple of editorials and a review, but it never really trended.
Of course, if climate change does expand the range of the principal vector then I was of course the first and foremost prophet etc etc.

Poor ol' freckles, thought of bats and died.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A cult with a secret membership who still refuse to come forward to say they've been potentially exposed :doh:

Didn't I read somewhere that they believed it was their duty to bring about the end of the world and so they were deliberately spreading it, and that they've tried to do that before with other diseases?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Just got "official" word from our school that all foreigners entering china through Beijing must spend 14 days in a "quarantine facility" (cheap hotel?) at their own expense. I guess I'm glad we never left...

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

No! Dong good!

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

hakimashou posted:

The world would be much cooler if more places were like Bhutan and big into their traditional dress, instead of everyone everywhere dressing like they are british or americans.

Last time I was in Shanghai there were tons of young people more or less cosplaying in traditional Chinese dress, my wife said she thinks its some kind of nationalistic thing.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

I think that's a pretty common symbiosis in Vancouver - house full of young people and a little old Chinese lady colonizing the garden and recycling all the cans. My mother in law has almost exactly that house next door to her complete with an Ah Yi and her makeshift bean trellis.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Skynet with Chinese characteristics.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

WarpedNaba posted:

Scuffle on the India/China border, apparently no bullets fired but they beat each other to death with clubs and rocks. Which is... odd?

https://twitter.com/i/events/1272797478157299712

Also, it's that time of year when ersatz-china does what it does:

https://twitter.com/i/events/1272802789098262529

As I understand it neither side lets the border guards have guns, so they don't start a war.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Magna Kaser posted:

My favorite part of that was how Taiwan, not immune to caring too much about worthless rocks, also chimed in to say the islands were in fact theirs.

where did u read this? In everything I've read the chinese gov specifically said it wasn't carried or spread by salmon, probably in fear of everyone going and trashing fishing boats.

Our school fed us all salmon at an end of term dinner literally a week ago, no symptoms yet.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Can't have dam chat in the china thread without talking about the Banqiao Dam disaster:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Banqiao_Dam_failure
Everybody's favorite part is when they called in airstrikes against downstream dams to relieve pressure, the guy who made that call had balls made of, well, reinforced concrete. Also I would like to see a transcript of the phone call to the airforce C/O who dispatched the bombers. "You want us to WHAT in the next 30 minutes?!"

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Apparently a livestream of the three gorges with all the sluice gates fully open, it's been going for a few hours at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhddcv7p2QM

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

mobby_6kl posted:

Very cool, plov is all over central and eastern Asia and always a bit different. Here's my grandfather making Uzbek version:

https://i.imgur.com/Z7OsQJN.mp4

I don't have an exact recipe on hand but, stir fry the mutton, add onions and then other vegetables and sautee for a bit. Add rinsed rice and water to cover, reduce heat and wait until cooked. Fine tuning definitely takes a lot of trial and error thought.

Unless there is an extremely subtle joke I'm missing about Uzbeks all moving to central Germany I think you posted the wrong picture.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

hakimashou posted:

If the 3 gorges dam did collapse, who do you think the communist regime would try to blame for it? Ethnic minorities? Japan? US?

Watch Xi start a loving war.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr. Nice! posted:

In many parts of the English speaking world, 1000 people is enough for a city. Some places do not distinguish between cities and towns. Texas, for example, has no townships. The minimum size you need for a municipality in TX is 600 people. You cannot be a "home rule city" with your own charter and such until you reach 5000 people, but there are plenty of tiny cities all over Texas. The same is true throughout the United States.

I grew up in a 14k person city in West Texas surrounded by millions upon millions of head of cattle. Hereford isn't what most Texans or Americans would think of as a city, but it absolutely is one legally. All of the business inside Hereford would be urban activity in support of the rural activity outside it. The money, though, was not in the city. The urban activity is next to nothing compared to the feed lots in the county.

Cities have cathedrals, 1000 people is a village.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Mr. Nice! posted:

every little podunk 100 person community in america has a church in it.

In the UK a town can only become a city when it has a cathedral, not a church, so unless those podunk churches have bishops they remain villages or towns, no matter how big they grow.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Fojar38 posted:

Is there not a single cartoonist in China who can draw an African person without using a caricature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyXS9qTsb3U
From 1989, i can still sing the jingle from memory, unfortunately.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is certainly a frivolous question, so I am sorry.

But as a Hong Kong New Zealdander, did you ever go to the Rugby 7s that they have there? Is it as much an excuse for fat English expats to drink as I have heard? Are the matches of any decent quality?

I was lucky enough to watch the Hong Kong T20 tournament finals one time, and got to see the team Luke Ronchi played for lose. So that was nice.

They are a massive excuse for fat expats to get pissed, I have never seen more drunk people in one place, however you will also see some of the best rugby in the world. I was there in 1990 for this match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioXQWj_ndY
(jump to 15:25 for the good bit).
The old government stadium was much nicer than the new one because there was an open running track between the stands and the pitch that made pitch invasions by naked drunk people very easy indeed.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

WarpedNaba posted:

So, what, the coffee throws itself out of your hand? The muffins scream before you even get near them? What the hell is an e-sports theme?

After it fails the last Timmies in China levitates itself to the edge of the map and refuses to give up.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Zakrello posted:

in short, yes there are

the real deal never shows off while the fake ones keeps posting and get themselves wrecked

I can't find the video but I once watched an interview with an older chinese martial artist talking about different styles of kung fu, he illustrated a point about effectiveness with a clip showing a fight between American and Latin America special forces guys who had, according to him, agreed to a no-holds-barred fight. The yank just poked the other guy in the eye first move and it was all over.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Zushio posted:

I am not even sure I am brave enough to figure out what that is but I assume it involves gutter oil.

AFAIK its a Jian Bing, which I quite like, but I don't load them up with weird sausages and whatnot.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Dongsturm posted:

and I'm dubious about claims that China managed it.

I'm in China right now, I've been here non stop since last January, and it's managed it. Beijing, a city of 21 million people, has zero cases. I wear a mask to work and the store, my kids wear masks to school. Apart from that Covid doesn't exist for us. (Except we ain't going back to our home countries in the foreseeable future, but that's not really china's problem).

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Dongsturm posted:

I think I'm grasping it just fine.

Posting "I don't see it therefore it doesn't exist" isn't a convincing argument, because most people posting here have a life situation that allows them to at least partially control their environment. Life for other people is different, which is why there are "inevitable outbreaks".

Posting "I don't see it but my feelings tell me it must be there." isn't really all that convincing either...

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

mobby_6kl posted:

What "evidence" would you expect to see? Until the pandemic completely overwhelms the hospitals, there isn't much an average person would notice because people aren't just dropping dead in the streets.

I was literally in one of the worst hit countries in the world for a while but nothing looked different unless you worked in a hospital. According to the data, around a dozen people died yesterday. If it was 250 like at the peak, how could I possibly tell unless someone released the real number.
That is not to say that china is now actually worse than India and there's a massive coverup of course.

I'd expect to see all the evidence I saw the last three times there was an outbreak in Beijing: everything non-essential would close, traffic would drop to almost nothing, I'd have to show ID and have my temperature taken at the single open entrance to my neighborhood (all the others being locked). I'd have to fill in several surveys on WeChat about my movements for the last x number of days and scan a QR code with one WeChat mini app and have my temperature checked at the entrance to any indoor space, also show a green code on the other health mini app in WeChat. The streets of my neighborhood would be fogged with disinfectant, all deliveries would go to the main entrance, (you can't actually stop the mighty kuaidi, unless you are willing to use crew served weapons), my kids would begin the slow descent into madness that is online school and my wife would be very happy and bake a shitload.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

ilmucche posted:

A few pages ago someone mentioned an excavator duel. Does anyone have video of this

https://youtu.be/Cmm-DFSh6Aw

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Are interracial children racist? Because I really don't know what to do about that, I'm pretty sure I could take out the boy but the girl is bigger and fitter than me and she's mean.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

brakeless posted:

saw a statistic a while back saying that the chinese real estate market is hosed, with most of the homes currently bought going to people who already own one or two and like over 20% vacancy averaged over the whole country

seems pretty bad in a place where conducting the ongoing urbanization in a controlled manner is a big issue, anyone have any insight on the reality on the ground?

unrelated lmao at this forum containing a multitude of posters who have nothing better to do than fighting against ideologically incorrect posting enemies

Just what I've seen but my son is in the scouts and three or four years ago they had to do some basic map stuff, which of course you can't really get in china because maps are secret lest the Americans use them to invade northern Beijing. So we used western maps of the UK and France etc.
But for fun I printed a google maps satellite image of northern Beijing at a2 and gave them a bunch of post-its with map feature names on them to stick where they thought they should go. They kept on sticking lakes where I knew there were no lakes, eventually I realized that the big blue green blobs were bulldozed hutongs covered with green scrim to keep the dust down - hundreds of hectares of them. Last week we took a didi at night along a new highway through that area and passed around 100 (I stopped counting at 70ish but didn't start until I realized how many there were) brand new, unpainted, empty, 30 story residential blocks.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Atopian posted:

Was another one swallows, hastily edited to bedbugs later?

A friend of mine's kid wanted to know what kind of swallows we get in Beijing, so my friend googled "Chinese swallows".

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I don't eat chickens feet because we kept chickens when I was a kid and their feet were always thickly caked with chicken poo poo.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I literally had to write a letter for an acquaintance a couple of months ago because his wife had buggered off into the mist with his son and her lover, his lawyer said he needed some sort of proof that he was a good father.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
The littlest kids at school will stroke my hairy arms, but nobody else pays much attention.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Good lord Vittachi is a schmuck these days. My parents knew him in the 80's.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Honestly if you can get to China right now you can get a job teaching, in an international school at least. All the people who stayed through the lockdowns etc are leaving because they want to see granny and travel. So everyone at the lower tier schools is stepping up a rank because they are a warm body and most schools are only hiring people who are already in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
One of my wife's cousins is married to a Korean lady who is home schooling their 4 kids, she is about 30, he's mid 60s with two kids from a previous marriage. Pretty sure it's some sort of cult arranged marriage. He believes in UFO's.