Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

China may have won this round but let us not forget that Korea is the undefeated champion of the Alphabet Olympics

Is the claim about Korean being a language isolate actually true? I see the claim on the internet occasionally, but to my non-linguist brain it seems extremely suspect since language isolates seem to generally be spoken by a few thousand people in remote areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

i learned to do rice in a pot in boarding school, because we had kitchenware with no rice cooker, and an extremely high demand for rice.

i think it's an interesting skill to have and like you say you can do some fun poo poo with rice when you make it on the stove, but i'm fuckin lazy. i'd much rather have a cooker do it for me, or preferably 7 & Holdings did it for me nine hours ago and now i'll get diarrhea from the petri dish that is refrigerated rice

I learned to do rice in a pot because it's trivial and anyone who isn't completely incompetent can learn to do it in 90 seconds. There's nothing wrong with rice cookers but the idea that cooking rice in a pot is difficult or complicated is bizarre.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

every little podunk 100 person community in america has a church in it.

Hell, the more podunk the community the higher the church density.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Arbite posted:

I thought no Cokes had sugar anymore, it was all cornsyrup?

Corn syrup is a form sugar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

When people talk about sugar in sodas, they mean cane sugar specifically, you pedant.

They say cane sugar when they mean cane sugar, in my experience. Check this thread for reference. Not to mention sodas made with cane sugar will typically say "made with cane sugar!" and not "made with sugar!" when they want to advertise that fact.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 23, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Porfiriato posted:

Wolf Warrior diplomacy paying dividends as always

I'm particularly impressed by the Japan/SK/Australia ones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

IIRC it also gained something of a reputation for being an island filled with insane heavily armed hermits

My favorite bit about its reputation is how it ends up in Gulliver's Travels. He goes to a land of giants, tiny people, intelligent horses, decadent immortals, and, uh, Japan. (as an avenue to satirize Europeans, of course)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Given it's a US company I assume you can buy (great) ammo at a Great Clips.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

A freespace?

Like in bingo.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fur20 posted:

the kind of person who has the money to fund a project like this is too shortsighted and coke-addled to see that there's a hypermassive long-term profit to be had from green infrastructure development if only they could see further in front of their noses than the next quarterly report

This works on at least two levels, but how do they like coca-cola in China?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Chinese healthcare is also completely privatized like the US and has the same problems of medical bankruptcy and most people not being able to afford treatment if they get seriously ill. There are fairly cheap public hospitals, but literally no one wants to go to those because you're going to be waiting absolutely forever for terrible care, in the best case scenario. There are also fun China-specific things like a lot of hospitals (most?) don't really have nursing staff the same way as a US one, so if you're in the hospital for a while, someone from your family has to be there to take care of you because nobody else is going to do it.

Chinese universities have different problems. They do cost money, but most of them are really bad and what university you can attend depends on a lot of factors you can't control like where you're born. My ex from Henan couldn't go to any of her top choice universities because she's from Henan. No other reason. You could compare that to being stuck in a lovely school system due to your residency in the US and missing out on opportunities, I suppose. The "good" part of university in China (and Korea and Japan, not sure about other East Asia countries) is the difficulty is all front loaded. The exam to get into college is absurd and you spend your entire high school life prepping for it, but if you pass and are admitted, you are 100% guaranteed to graduate with your degree no matter what level of effort you put in. Which is why undergrad degrees from those countries are completely meaningless. My understanding is graduate school works more or less like the west, but a bachelor's from a Chinese university just means you passed the gaokao, it has no relation to what you did in college.

Does China also do the thing where you have no way of knowing what treatment is going to cost until you get the bill(s)?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

That looks to be on the nicer side for rural China. The buildings all look to be intact and that road is crazy good.
Yeah, the US military has not done well in counter insurgency/police action type poo poo not because the US military sucks, but because that type of conflict is almost unwinnable by anyone throughout history. If the other side just doesn't give up then there's nothing you can do short of killing literally all of them, which isn't going to happen. In an actual state to state, military on military conflict, I would not want to take the US on. The last time that happened was the Gulf War, and I think people forget that at the time Iraq had like the fourth biggest army in the world that had been hardened by their war with Iran and was considered a major regional power, and they got completely rinsed by the US in three days. It was actually a big wake up call for other countries that thought they might fight the US at some point and set off a lot of the modernizations we've seen.

I don't disagree with your general statement here, but I think "hardened by their war with Iran" is being pretty generous to the Iraqi army. It was more like "forced into an embarrassing draw by the vastly-inferior-on-paper Iranian forces." The battlefield experience probably counted for something but their morale/leadership seems to have been a bit of a joke for all their manpower and fairly up to date equipment.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Trying to head off the Three Body Problem future.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Question for the China thread re: fowl bone shards. What's the proper etiquette for eating a chunk of duck, roughly 4x "bite size", floating in a bowl of soup, that's like 60% bone by volume? Just hold it up with your chop sticks and daintily nibble the meat off of it? I think I'd need to spend a week at chopstick boot camp to manage that without dropping it 5 times.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ili posted:

For most people yeah you just hold it with your chopsticks and eat the meat off it, you can briefly hold the piece in your mouth while you reposition them too. If you're some giant weirdo though you just have a meltdown about bones in your meat, then probably storm off to hoover up a plate of tendies.

I'd definitely be willing to try a plate of duck tendies.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bum the Sad posted:

:same: I think this idiot is confusing giant weirdos with reasonable people who don’t enjoy bone shards.

I don't even mind the bone shards too much, I just like duck and want to know the proper way to eat it while only looking like kind of a dipshit rather than a turbo dipshit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Atopian posted:

I thought it was Korea

Yeah, I associate it with Korea more than China.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

cat botherer posted:

It looks like an industrial area in the winter. Are we just upset they have industry or something?

It's pretty funny to have an olympic ski jump positioned as a lone island amid a grey industrial wasteland :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You seem very angry about nothing in particular.

Swallowed too many duck bones.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Citizens, do not control your urges to get freaky

Lockdowns are just a conspiracy to engineer a baby boom :tinfoil:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Meme Poker Party posted:

Imagine WW3 starting because China shot down a plane carrying Nanci Pelosi.

I honestly wonder if the banking crisis is making Xi think he needs to pull out all of the stops on making his case for another term. I was under the impression that his level of control was high enough that he doesn't need to bother but :shrug:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

Didn't he outlaw such quaint concepts as 'limits on uninterrupted rule' a while back

Term limits were abolished but there are still 5 year terms. I think Xi is nearing the end of his current term, but I don't know if that really matters to any extent.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wait a sec this guy looks familiar

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Do we even want to know what this says?

It's from some pamphlet telling Chinese women to beware of sexy foreign spies.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Greater wall of good China.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ronya posted:

handsome, daring, patriotic and multilingual elite fighters who dodge bullets while remaining loyal to their women and families

Koramei posted:

That honestly describes my friend group to a T as well, but fair enough. As with all things I’m sure there’s a diversity of opinions.

Your friend group sounds cool.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This is a long shot but does anyone have that photo of Li Keqiang at some fancy conference where he's in front of this huge Yellow River wall painting and it looks like he's standing before the realm of The Whizzard?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I did some more searching, and I think it was this painting but he was standing right in front of it with no photographers blocking the view. Oh well.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

That's a really big inflatable pool tbf.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been to a few hotpot joints that are well regarded by the Chinese grad students at my wife's work and concluded that I'm not good enough at it to make it a worthwhile experience. It's also pretty pricey in the US. Definitely want to try Korean barbecue at some point because that seems more up my alley.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xakura posted:

It's not like USA forgets the topo data they've already collected, shooting down the satellites doesn't help with that.

Destroying all satellites would completely cripple any modern military so I guess it stops an invasion of China at the cost of loving up everything else too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xakura posted:

Again, not what was argued. China loving with their own maps doesn't matter when satellites have been mapping them for years.

Running a modern military without gps would suck poo poo, but it's not like maps and compass is an unknown technology, INS doesn't work, or that nobody in the entire us mil haven't thought about what they would do in a gps denied environment.

Weren't we talking about all satellites, not just GPS? Communicating with anything beyond line of sight would suddenly become tricky. GPS isn't even what I was thinking about.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Yes. It all sucks. It's dumb they're being weird about tiktok alone

"Owned by China" vs. "Owned by the billionaire who's paying for my campaign" are both bad but congress is actually able to act on one of them :shrug:

Also lol at various Chinese mouthpieces calling the US paranoid xenophobes when not only is most US social media banned in China, Tiktok is banned in China.

I dunno if Gaza has anything to do with it. On the one hand this has been in the works for awhile, but on the other now is when they got around to it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I amazes me that what Modi's doing doesn't get more press, but I think most news outlets and people, aren't prepared to change their preconceptions about India from "great food, wonderful people" to "It's Moditown - let's get purging!"

The west doesn't give a poo poo about India, is what I think it boils down to.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Shumagorath posted:

I don’t think it’s what you’re describing so much as low-effort “fair’s fair / being a boat anchor on north american public health is cool and good”.

Yeah, I can't imagine it's some nefarious plot handed down from the ghost of Mao, but "why should we help the west with their opiate problem, gently caress 'em" seems plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

look at the lepers colony entry for moist von lipwig

Looks like he... played a Necromancer in Diablo 3? Pretty cringe I guess.