Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Please respect over 5 years of poo poo-posting culture.

China.jpg: Oct 2014 - Jan 2015
china.jpg: Jan 2015 - Jan 2016
China.jpg/.txt/.avi: Jan 2016 - April 2016
Chinese Farmer Discussion Thread: April 2016 - Sept 2016
Taiwan Number 1: Sept 2016 - Oct 2018
The China Thread: Pan-fried Goose Contagion: July 2018 - ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Khorne posted:

That image should be in the op. Someone post it.

Good news, it is already in the op

Grand Fromage posted:

What are China tankies?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Patrocclesiastes posted:

My company forbid all travel to China and strongly discourages any travel to asia right now at all.

Have there been any confirmed cases in Shanghai or Dalian?

I found this map that tracks cases in China

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

This map only goes by province or provincial-level cities, so it doesn't have the resolution to see cases only in Dalian. Shanghai has 80 cases and Liaoning province has 36. I'm just guessing, but given Dalian's size and importance in Liaoning, a good chunk of those 36 cases are going to be in Dalian.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Tarkus posted:

My girlfriend's mom calls waitresses 'Pretty Girl' in Cantonese when we eat at a Chinese place. Dunno if it's a Hong Kong thing or a general term for a woman who serves in a business.

It started as a Cantonese thing that is sort of spreading into Mandarin in southern China. People used to refer to younger women professionally as 小姐 or "young lady", but that term become more and more associated with prostitutes. People in rural Guangdong started using 靓女 or "pretty girl" as a substitute, and then it spread into mainstream Cantonese. I haven't heard it much from people in northern China, but I haven't been back there in a while, so who knows now.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
This NYTimes article talks about the dysfunction between the Chinese central and local governments, and how it makes it difficult for the government to respond to national crises like the corona virus outbreak. The last part about how democracies vs authoritarian governments align with public good is not so great, but the rest of the article is a pretty good read.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/01/25/world/asia/coronavirus-crisis-china-response.html

quote:

CORONAVIRUS EXPOSES CORE FLAWS, AND FEW STRENGTHS, IN CHINA'S GOVERNANCE

While China can mobilize a huge national response to the outbreak, its response to the crisis is also a lesson in how the country’s political weak points can carry grave consequences for world health.

By Max Fisher
Jan. 25, 2020

It was the initial news reports that first suggested China’s political system might be getting in the way of its ability to confront the coronavirus outbreak.

The outbreak seemed to already be a full-blown crisis, infecting dozens in China and even some abroad, by the time it became widely reported.

This seeming delay was of a familiar pattern in China, one suggesting that local officials may have played down early warning signs or simply did not coordinate enough to see the problem’s scope.

While outsiders might suspect an attempted cover-up as the cause, experts see something much more worrying: weaknesses at the very heart of the Chinese system.

Its rigidly hierarchical bureaucracy discourages local officials from raising bad news with central bosses whose help they might need. And it silos those officials off from one another, making it harder to see, much less manage, the full scope of spiraling crises.

“That’s why you never really hear about problems emerging on a local scale in China,” said John Yasuda, who studies China’s approach to health crises at Indiana University. “By the time that we hear about it, and that the problem reaches the central government, it’s because it’s become a huge problem.”

While much remains unknown about the outbreak, a common theme is emerging.

Any political system is better at solving some problems than others. But the coronavirus, like other health crises before it, is bringing out some of the deepest flaws and contradictions in a Chinese system that, for all its historic feats, remains a work in progress.

Those flaws, which have long frustrated Chinese leaders, appear to have played a role in everything from the pace at which officials responded to the coronavirus outbreak, to China’s years-long inability to address the health risks that experts have long warned could lead to an outbreak just like this one.

While the country is now mobilizing a nationwide response — one of the system’s strengths — the incident is already a lesson in the political weak points that can bring grave consequences for China and, as infections spread, the world.

A System at Odds With Itself

“When you look at the coronavirus, it looks a lot like what happened with SARS. It involves a very similar template,” Mr. Yasuda said.

The SARS epidemic, which killed hundreds of people in 2002 and 2003, initially spread unchecked when local Chinese officials minimized early reports.

Their fear was not public unrest, it later emerged, but getting in trouble with the party bosses who controlled their careers.

Guan Yi, a professor of infectious diseases in Hong Kong who helped identify SARS, has accused Chinese authorities of once more delaying action, including by obstructing his own efforts to investigate the outbreak.

“This is a continuous theme in central-local relations in China. You do not want to be the one to bring bad news,” said Vivienne Shue, a prominent China scholar at Oxford University.

That gulf between central leaders in Beijing and local officials who run the country day-to-day, Ms. Shue said, is “the core conundrum in how that system works.”

It leads officials on both sides of the center-local divide “to do many counterproductive, irrational things,” she said, in their efforts to manage and manipulate one another.

That has included holding back reports of potential crises, in the hopes of solving things without the bosses finding out.

At the same time, China’s quasi-imperial system leaves the top party bosses in Beijing with little direct power over what happens in the provinces — policy proclamations are sometimes ignored or defied — other than promoting or punishing subordinates.

The two ends of the system are engaged in a constant push-pull dynamic, putting them occasionally at odds — particularly in moments of crisis, when each is looking to blame the other.

This has been an issue throughout China’s modern history, Ms. Shue said, with power fluctuating between the center and the periphery. Xi Jinping, China’s current leader, has sought to centralize power, setting up Beijing-based working groups to exert more control outside the capital.

But the system’s underlying contradiction remains. Mr. Xi’s tightening grip may make local leaders all the more wary of releasing information that could invite his wrath.

As China modernizes, integrating its once-disparate provinces and cities, local mistakes can become national crises before Beijing is even aware that something has happened, as may have happened with the coronavirus outbreak.

“As logistics and the distribution systems have expanded, you really see how the local and national have been linked together,” Mr. Yasuda said, referring to the hastening rate at which health, environmental and economic crises can now spread.

That is not all downside. The central government has enormous capacity to mobilize in a crisis, as it is doing now, locking down several major cities to slow the disease’s spread.

“Once a clear problem has emerged, it’s very good at diverting resources,” Mr. Yasuda said of China’s political system. “But it’s not good at dealing with emerging problems. So it’s built to be reactive instead of proactive.”

When China’s Strengths Become a Source of Peril

In some ways, China’s system has been a source of strength.

Party bosses set priorities, then reward the institutions and officials who best carry them out.

And since the days of Mao Zedong, China has operated under a system known as fragmented authoritarianism, in which even the most local leaders have near-absolute authority over their remit.

That has led to a culture of what Elizabeth J. Perry, a Harvard University scholar, has called “guerrilla governance,” in which results take precedence over procedure or accountability, and in which it is all leaders for themselves.

This approach is seen as crucial in having enabled China to lift hundreds of millions of citizens out of poverty and turn itself from global backwater into world power.

But it can be disastrous when it comes to managing health and environmental issues.

Disease and pollution don’t respect provincial or municipal borders. And because of the way they spread, it often takes a unified, nationwide policy to prevent or stop them — something for which guerrilla governance is ill-suited.

“It’s very difficult to come together to create a clear actionable plan,” Mr. Yasuda said, adding that, for any health or environmental regulation to work, “you want it to be standardized, you want it to be transparent, you want it to be accountable.”

But China’s system de-emphasizes those concerns, sometimes to disastrous effect.

In the mid-2000s, Beijing demanded a drastic increase in milk production. When factory farms were unable to meet their targets, officials conscripted vast numbers of rural farmers. Some of the farmers, struggling to meet their quotas, watered down their milk, then added an industrial chemical known as melamine to fool quality sensors. The tainted milk poisoned thousands of infants.

Experts fear a similar regulatory failure may have enabled the coronavirus outbreak: the longstanding inability to clean up so-called wet markets, which are stuffed with livestock living and dead, domesticated and wild. Though the outbreak’s cause is still being studied, Wuhan’s wet market is considered a prime suspect.

The markets have long been considered a major threat to public health, particularly as a vector for transmitting diseases from animals to humans. And they are a lesson in the perils of patchwork, decentralized regulations like China’s: While some markets are more carefully policed than others, all it takes is one to cause an outbreak.

In another echo of the tainted milk scandal, top-down political priorities provide an incentive to look the other way. Taking down the markets, which are popular, would risk a public outcry. Local officials had every reason to fear that their bosses, who have not made the markets a priority, would punish them for causing trouble.

Aligning With Public Good, Or Not

A foundational mission of any political system is to align its leaders’ incentives with the needs and desires of the wider public.

Democracies seek to do this through “the competition of interests,” Ms. Shue said, on the belief that inviting everyone to participate will naturally pull the system toward the common good. This system, like any, has flaws, for example by handing more power to those with more money.

Within China, Ms. Shue added, the common good “is seen as something that should be designed from above, like a watch being engineered to run perfectly.”

But sometimes the watch can be designed in ways that harm the public good.

In 2001, for instance, Beijing ordered provincial officials to reduce water pollution from factories. Many provinces simply moved the factories to their borders, ensuring pollutants would flow into the next district. Nationwide, water pollution worsened.

So far, the coronavirus outbreak seems to highlight both the strengths and perils of China’s model. Beijing, apparently having learned from the SARS epidemic, has pushed for faster and more drastic action.

But the same systemic problems, from gun-shy local officials to weak health regulations, appear to be recurring as well — a reminder that the system remains, Ms. Shue said, “a work in progress.”

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Shumagorath posted:

你没有看到石墨。它不在那里

3.6伦琴? 不太好,也不太差。

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 30, 2020

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
https://shanghai.ist/2020/01/29/jorge-guajardo-mexico-h1n1/

quote:

Jorge Guajardo, Mexico’s ambassador to China from 2007 to 2013, has recalled China’s response in the H1N1 flu outbreak, which originated in a herd of pigs in Mexico in 2009 before spreading to all four corners of the globe.

Now no longer a diplomat, Guajardo says Chinese officials were arbitrarily detaining just about anyone with a Mexican passport, regardless of where they had or hadn’t been in recent days. Unless he wore a hazmat suit, he would not be allowed to see any of them.

The officials only “pretend[ed] to do something” so as to be “seen in control”, having no regard for actual health protocols, he charged.

“They did what they do best, stonewalled,” he said. “They would literally hang up when they knew it was us calling.”

The incident caused a diplomatic spat between Mexico and China, with then Mexican president Felipe Calderon expressing dismay that “some countries or places are taking discriminatory measures because of ignorance and misinformation.”

He posted his experience in this tweet thread, so make sure to click it to read everything
https://twitter.com/jorge_guajardo/status/1221803120201814017

edit:
Just discovered threadreader. Here's the rest of his tweets

quote:

I was summoned to MOFCOM for a meeting with a vice minister, no idea what it was about. He opened by asking what México needed to help contain the outbreak. I had no idea. I was not prepared for that question. He volunteered that they’d be sending the two planes.

This caught us so by surprise that, in gratitude, México’s president went to the airport, at midnight, to welcome the planes with the aid. We thought China was going to be an ally in this fight. We were wrong.

Immediately thereafter we started getting reports that “authorities” were knocking in the hotel rooms of Mexicans in China at night, asking them to come with them for a quick hospital check. Entire families, with children, were taken from their hotels to hospitals, and detained.

The criteria for rounding up Mexicans was the passport, not where they had been in the past days. They were detaining Mexicans who hadn’t been in Mexico for months, just because of their passport. We called the foreign ministry to find out what was going on, no one would answer.

We went to hospitals to try to assist Mexicans detained (Chinese called it a quarantine, it was detention), I was not allowed in unless I wore a hazmat suit, scaring the children. Inside the hospital were municipal authorities, with no protection whatsoever.

The big lesson is that this was all about pretending to do something about the potential pandemic, to be seen in control. It was never about actual health protocols. None of it made sense, but it made them look tough, and in control.

I went to see Mexicans detained at a hospital, after the Chinese realized that the detention of of our citizens had become a huge issue in Mexico, they did what they do best, stonewalled. They didn’t allow me in to see them (none of them were sick).

I remember the calls from my foreign ministry wanting to know about the Mexicans detained in China and they just wouldn’t believe me when I told them no one at the Chinese foreign ministry was picking up our calls. They would literally hang up when they knew it was us calling.

One of my experiences during H1N1 is that, even when WHO know that what China is doing is wrong or ill-advised, they’re reluctant to call them on it. They work on cooperation, not signaling or criticizing (or they fear China).

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 30, 2020

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

MetaJew posted:

May page 8 bring prosperity and good luck to the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQIooHMGHQ

And this one for the cool-dude God of Fortune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4b37z4IYOk

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 31, 2020

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

lilbeefer posted:

What is the best actual evidence that can be given to a tankie to show that whilst China isn't a bad country necessarily it's not all unicorn farts and mapo tofu

Probably the big thing right now is the growing anxiety among the Chinese middle-class that Chinese society is trying to wring them dry of what little wealth they have, and that they have no way of getting the government to help them. They refer to themselves as "chives", because they can be harvested for the prosperity of the powerful and the elites of China.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/03/asia/china-leeks-economy-trade-war-intl/index.html
https://elephant-room.com/2018/08/27/the-story-of-chinese-chives/

Connected to this, Huawei became a target of outrage recently after a former employee wrote online about being imprisoned for asking for his severance pay. This came as Huawei was trying to drum up domestic support for their CFO while she awaits extradition to the US. People pointed out the hypocrisy of Huawei bemoaning the supposed injustice their CFO faces in her mansion in Canada while also imprisoning their employee for asking what he was legally entitled to. This played into the general "harvested chives" anxiety, adding credence in the minds of middle-class Chinese that the rich and powerful can get whatever they want and are willing to sacrifice ordinary Chinese to maintain their wealth.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/dec/02/huawei-under-fire-china-employee-detained-eight-months
https://www.nytimes.com./2019/12/04/technology/huawei-china-backlash.html

I think what's important here, in terms of convincing your tankie friend, is that this is ordinary Chinese expressing their frustrations about their problem with Chinese society. It can't be argued away as outsiders trying to impose "foreign" concepts on a supposedly-different Chinese way of life. It also lays bare just how much the Chinese government promotes and defends the interest of the rich and powerful, even at the expense of the average Chinese people it supposedly represents.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Also, welp

https://twitter.com/ghoeberx/status/1223398713059631104

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Jesus, what a self-own.

Which is business as usual for the Chinese foreign service.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

WarpedNaba posted:

Whoa jeez

Saw that gif on the Chinese pigs getting bulldozed into a ditch and getting napalm'd. While alive.

I found a video of pigs being thrown into a pit to be buried (but not burned alive, jesus christ). Here's a link to a screencap of it, since it's pretty :nms:

https://imgur.com/ocaqBP3

That is... a lot of pigs :stare:

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Some more in-fighting from the CCP

https://shanghai.ist/2020/01/28/tired-of-taking-all-the-blame-wuhan-mayor-points-finger-at-beijing-over-virus-response3/

quote:

Wuhan Mayor Zhou Xianwang has so far shouldered much of the blame for the deadly coronavirus outbreak, blame that he recently shifted over to Beijing in a highly unusual move for a Chinese official.

Following a disastrous press conference on Sunday, Zhou was interviewed on Monday by CCTV. In the interview, he admitted to having failed to disclose information to the public in a timely manner during the preliminary stage of the virus outbreak.

However, Zhou charged that as a local official, he did not have the authority to reveal such information without first getting authorization from higher up, in what certainly appears to be a shot aimed straight at Beijing.

“As a local government official, after I have the information, I have to get approval before I can make it public,” Zhou said.

He noted that after China’s State Council held a meeting to recognize the coronavirus as a Class B infectious disease, his administration was quick to make decisive moves, including putting Wuhan in virtual lockdown.

After describing how his role in the crisis had been misunderstood, Zhou went on to portray himself as a sort of martyr, effectively offering up his own head to assuage public anger.

“Maybe we’ll go down in history with a bad reputation for locking down the city to keep the virus inside,” Zhou said. “But as long as it helps to contain the spread of the virus, Wuhan Party Secretary Ma Guoqiang and I are willing to take whatever responsibility, including resignation.”

At the end, Zhou deigned to give himself an 80 out of 100 for how he was handling the interview.

Many netizens were not happy with that grade, continuing to heap scorn on Zhou. It remains to be seen if Beijing will respond by handing him a failing grade or if he’ll continue to be kept around to throw underneath the bus.

This is background for another NYT article about the increasing dysfunction between the central and local government. Both sides are trying to blame the other for the bumbling response to the outbreak, and it's laying bare to the Chinese public how fragile the government actually is. It's also eroding the myth of the CCP being staffed by technocrats, which was used to justify the CCP's authoritarian rule.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/02/04/business/china-coronavirus-government.html

quote:

Wuhan’s mayor blamed higher-ups. A senior disease control official blamed layers of bureaucracy. A top government expert blamed the public: The people, he said, simply didn’t understand what he told them.

As China grapples with a mysterious coronavirus outbreak that has killed at least 490 people and sickened thousands, the country’s 1.4 billion people are asking what went wrong. Senior officials are engaging in an unusually blunt display of finger pointing.

So many officials have denied responsibility that some online users joke that they are watching a passing-the-buck competition. (It’s “tossing the wok” in Chinese.)

The Chinese people are getting a rare glimpse of how China’s giant, opaque bureaucratic system works — or, rather, how it fails to work. Too many of its officials have become political apparatchiks, fearful of making decisions that anger their superiors and too removed and haughty when dealing with the public to admit mistakes and learn from them.

“The most important issue this outbreak exposed is the local government’s lack of action and fear of action,” said Xu Kaizhen, a best-selling author who is famous for his novels that explore the intricate workings of China’s bureaucratic politics.

“Under the high-pressure environment of an anticorruption campaign, most people, including senior government officials, only care about self-preservation,” Mr. Xu said. “They don’t want to be the first to speak up. They wait for their superiors to make decisions and are only accountable to their superiors instead of the people.”

The Chinese government appears to be aware of the problem. The Communist Party’s top leadership acknowledged in a meeting on Monday that the epidemic was “a major test of China’s system and capacity for governance.”

Growing numbers of people are questioning the government’s decisions as China enters a period of virtual shutdown. As the virus spread, officials in Wuhan and around the country withheld critical information, played down the threat and rebuked doctors who tried to raise the alarm. A reconstruction of the diseases’s spread by The New York Times showed that by not issuing earlier warnings, the Chinese government potentially lost the window to keep the disease from becoming an epidemic.

The outbreak has undermined the myth that the Chinese political elites win assignments and promotion purely on merit. China has sold this system as its own unique innovation. Developing countries have sent thousands of their government officials to China to learn its model of governance, a political system that offers security and growth in return for submission to authoritarian rule.

People in China are now questioning that premise. They are focusing much of their anger on Xi Jinping, China’s top leader and the person many blame for creating a culture of fear and subservience within the Chinese government.

Few people dare to question Mr. Xi openly, for fear of provoking censors or the police. But after Mr. Xi disappeared from public in recent days, some social media users began asking euphemistically, “Where is that person?” They are also posting online and sharing pictures of former leaders at the site of past crises.

Critics say quietly that, under Mr. Xi, the party began promoting loyal political cadres over technocrats — the experts and skilled administrators who were the backbone of China’s bureaucracy in 1990s and 2000s, when the country grew the fastest.

Those officials could often be corrupt, but even the party’s fiercest critics sometimes acknowledged that they got things done. Liu Zhijun, the former railway minister, is serving a lifetime sentence for taking bribes and abusing power. He also oversaw the creation of China’s high-speed rail system, which vastly improved life in the country
[note: LOL].

The wok tossing in China stems in part from the tension between the technocrats, who hold a large number of positions with China’s provincial and national disease control centers, and the political cadres — the mayors, governors and the provincial party secretaries. The outbreak and lack of disclosure suggest that the political cadres are winning. In fact, even the technocrats are becoming cadres because none of them had the courage to tell the public what they knew about the virus.

Chinese officials are spending as much as one-third of their time on political studying sessions, a lot of which are about Mr. Xi’s speeches. Political loyalty weighs much more in performance evaluations than before. Now the rule of thumb in Chinese officialdom seems to be demonstrating loyalty as explicitly as possible, keeping everything else vague and evading responsibility at all costs when things go wrong.

The Chinese people may be paying the price. The failures span the system.

Zhou Xianwang, Wuhan’s mayor, said he didn’t disclose the scale and danger of the epidemic earlier because he needed the authorization from higher up. But he could have done something without sharing much information, including telling the residents to wear masks, wash hands frequently and stop big gatherings such as the potluck banquet attended by over 40,000 families just a few days before his city of 11 million was locked down.

When information began to dribble out, it was vague and misleading. In a series of online notices issued between Dec. 31 and Jan. 17, local officials disclosed they were treating pneumonia patients but didn't say when or how many.

The National Health Commission, the ministry with the authority to declare an epidemic emergency, didn’t issue its own notice about the outbreak until Jan. 19. But the notice essentially kicked blame back to the local authorities. The first sentence cited a rule that required the commission to work with local officials on epidemic prevention.

A top government health adviser, Wang Guangfa, who had reassured the public that the disease was controllable only to be sickened himself, said in an interview after he recovered that he had limited information at the time. He also defended his phrasing as a “misunderstanding” by the general public, saying most outbreaks of infectious diseases are controlled in the end.

Local officials don’t seem to have local people at the top of their list of priorities. In an interview with state television, Ma Guoqiang, the Communist Party secretary of Wuhan, acknowledged that Wuhan residents “are a little anxious and a little nervous” and said he would mobilize all party cells to comfort them.

“But the most important comfort,” he added, “came from Party Secretary Xi Jinping.”

Mr. Xu, the novelist, said Mr. Ma’s remarks demonstrated how officials had more concern for pleasing their bosses than taking care of the people they allegedly served.

“If they can rearrange the order in their hearts," Mr. Xu said, “we’ll see a very different governance style.”

As they try to contain the spread, local governments are showing that they are better at looking busy than they are at finding a solution. Many are now finding ways to track down and even expel residents from Hubei Province to keep the coronavirus from spreading. Tracking potential spreaders is sound policy, but punishing or persecuting them risks driving them underground, making it even harder to fight the outbreak.

Even outside the hardest hit areas, local officials are showing they don’t make rules with the well-being of the people in mind. A video that went viral across China showed a couple stuck on a bridge connecting Guizhou Province to the city of Chongqing. The two governments had halted travel between them, and the couple — she from Guizhou, he from Chongqing — had no place to go.

On social media, low-level cadres are complaining that they are receiving so many instructions from the higher-ups that they spend most of their time filling out spreadsheets instead of getting real work done. In a social media post headlined “The Formalism Under the Mask,” the author wrote, “Most people in the system don’t do things to solve problems. They do things to solve responsibilities.”

After the epidemic, the Chinese leadership will have to punish a few officials, even severely, to save face and win back some credibility. But for people who are suffering from the epidemic and the failure of governance, the Communist Party may have a hard time winning them back.

“I know before long this country will go back to being a peaceful, prosperous society. We will hear many people screaming how proud they are of its prosperity and power,” a Wuhan resident wrote on the social media site Weibo. “But after what I have witnessed, I refuse to watch the applause and commendation.”

The whole bottom third of this article could be bolded, god drat.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Also, add Hangzhou, Taizhou, and Ningbo to the list of cities in Zhejiang province under lockdown, on top of Wenzhou earlier in the week. What makes this worrying is that the next city along this path is Shanghai.

https://shanghai.ist/2020/02/05/zhejiang-expands-lockdown-to-hangzhou-and-taizhou/

quote:

Following the lockdown of Wenzhou on China’s east coast, Zhejiang province has now placed severe restrictions on the movement of people in Hangzhou, Taizhou and parts of Ningbo.

The province hit hardest by the novel coronavirus outside of Hubei, Zhejiang reported 829 confirmed cases as of Tuesday evening, including 340 in Wenzhou, 132 in Hangzhou, 115 in Taizhou and 102 in Ningbo.

Hangzhou, the provincial capital, is home to ten million people and e-commerce behemoth Alibaba, and Taizhou is home to another six million people.

Zhejiang is an economic powerhouse with a thriving private sector that boasts a GDP larger than that of Saudi Arabia.

Radical measures
According to ten-point directives issued by municipal authorities, only one person from each household is allowed to step outside every two days to purchase necessities.

Residents are now required to present their identity cards and to have their temperature taken when entering neighborhoods, villages, or companies.

Anyone who has been in Hubei in the last two weeks is required to report to the village or residents’ committee within the first hour of arrival in the city.

All public places offering non-essential services are to remain shut and markets, supermarkets and pharmacies disinfected regularly.

Courier and food delivery personnel are no longer allowed to deliver straight to the door.

As in Wenzhou, all gatherings, company dinners and the like have now been banned.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
A video on mantou led me to Yunnan ska-reggae.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50pY0895oI

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Lawson posted:

Hello, Chinese speakers. Crossposting myself from the PYF products thread out of sheer desperation:

Best I can tell from my crappy Chinese and my dad, it's Tuocha or Tuo tea. Googling says it's puerh tea that's been formed into a nest shape, and according to my dad's internet searchings, the name comes from the fact that Yunnan traders would sell that particular shape of tea along the Tuo river in Sichuan province. The package states that tea comes from Yunnan, so it seems to check out.

But you said it was a green tea? If it's puerh, the tea should be amber/orange color, like black tea. Also, I wouldn't say puerh has a smokey flavor, but it's definitely funkier than the usual Oolong or black teas.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Lawson posted:

Can anybody read this? This is green tea with a pleasant smoke aroma. It was given to me by somebody who traveled to China, but doesn't speak the language. I'd like to find it, or something similar so I can buy some more.

CIGNX posted:

Best I can tell from my crappy Chinese and my dad, it's Tuocha or Tuo tea. Googling says it's puerh tea that's been formed into a nest shape, and according to my dad's internet searchings, the name comes from the fact that Yunnan traders would sell that particular shape of tea along the Tuo river in Sichuan province. The package states that tea comes from Yunnan, so it seems to check out.

But you said it was a green tea? If it's puerh, the tea should be amber/orange color, like black tea. Also, I wouldn't say puerh has a smokey flavor, but it's definitely funkier than the usual Oolong or black teas.

Following up on this, I found out there's something called "unripe" or "raw" or "sheng" puerh. Normally puerh is allowed to ferment, which give it its characteristically funky flavor, but unripe puerh isn't fermented and is essentially sun-dried green tea. It has a much more pale liquid, and some people describe it as having a smokey flavor. Here's a link from a US distributor

https://taooftea.com/product/green-tuocha/

This seems to match up with what you had. It has the Tuo cha nest-shape, it's a puerh from Yunnan, but it also has green tea-ish flavor.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Espionage pro-tips here

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/02/13/technology/huawei-racketeering-wire-fraud.html

quote:

The indictment portrays Huawei as orchestrating a steady, if not sophisticated, campaign to steal trade secrets. For instance, the indictment alleged that in 2004, a Huawei employee sneaked back to a Chicago trade show to steal a competitor’s technology. The employee “was discovered in the middle of the night after the show had closed for the day in the booth of a technology company” and was found “removing the cover from a networking device and taking photographs of the circuitry inside.” The individual wore a badge listing his employer as “Weihua” — an anagram of Huawei — according to the indictment.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

d0s posted:

I always thought he was just putting food coloring in baiju to make the video look more interesting

It must be beer or another drink with the same ABV. If it was baijiu, he'd be drinking an entire fifth in many of those videos.

Or for pro-level shanzhai, it was just colored water the entire time.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
From the CSPAM Wuhan virus thread

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

BrigadierSensible posted:

Again, forgive me for forgetting the name of the awesomely sweet old lady.

Liu mama

From the looks of it, all of her old stuff is gone and you can only see the new boring stuff. Maybe it's hidden until you register or download the app, but lol at having to give a phone number to this site.

https://live.kuaishou.com/profile/lm520666

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
This loving thread

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Hadlock posted:

If having a credit crunch impacted the global economy in 2008, I can only imagine what restricting the movement of actual cash will do.

Probably not that much? China's financial system is still relatively closed off to the outside world and it has pretty strict capital controls for the movement of cash both in and out of China. I'd guess it would be a problem for loans to overseas infrastructure projects or for countries that depended on Chinese lending to make up current account deficits. But for the rest of the world, the main issue will be supply chain problems and not to their financial systems.

The credit crunch was much more of an issue back in 2008 because it hit precisely the markets that the vast majority of businesses rely on for overnight lending. China's financial system does not play an equivalent role in the global markets at this moment.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
poo poo is getting medieval

https://twitter.com/PerthWAustralia/status/1229209836300095488

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Hey, I was thinking about all the countries which historically used the Chinese writing system and eventually developed their own, which more closely aligned with their spoken grammar. Given the trends mobile computing is having on Chinese literacy, what would it take to develop something like Hangul but for Chinese? How closely integrated into Chinese language and thought is their alphabet?

Given all the conlangers online I imagine someone must have taken a crack at something like this.

Well, isn't that what pinyin already is? Or even bopomofo.

The problem for Chinese is the number of homophones. Even with tones and the -er retroflex, there's less than 2000 sounds you can make in Mandarin. You'd have to have some familiarity with the characters to understand what a particular sound means in a sentence.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Shaocaholica posted:

Why do white people put half a bottle of soy sauce on their already seasoned Chinese food? It’s not like white people food/palate is all that salty. If anything it’s less salty than baseline Chinese food.

When I worked at my aunt's Chinese restaurant, we'd see people add soy sauce to their tea and drink it. It wasn't common, but it happened enough to be an inside joke with the staff.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Why do people still want to invest money in China?

A lot of companies post-2008 saw a huge boost in sales coming from China. Some of them even spent a lot of money to increase their capacity under the assumption that demand from China will stay high or increase. But all this demand from China was going to be temporary because it was a result of a huge growth in debt, and there's only so much debt that can be pushed into the economy before it stops having an effect. So you have a bunch of companies trying to chase the boom they saw a decade ago but are refusing to believe that the Chinese economy is slowing down or naively hoping that the boom years will return again.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
If you're in close proximity with someone who is sick for a long period of time, the masks could help you from inhaling any droplets they expel. But you'd need something like an N95 rated mask that makes a tight seal around your mouth and nose, and not those surgical masks that you see everyone in Asia typically wearing. Also, it doesn't do anything to protect your eyes from coming into contact with the droplets, or if later on you touch your mouth or nose without cleaning your hands after being near someone sick.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Grand Fromage posted:

It's really sad. One of the very few positive developments in China under the Party was a genuine and significant improvement in women's rights. After living in Korea for years it struck me right away how much more women in China are allowed to participate in society. The way things have been regressing over the past couple of decades sucks.

I guess that's general ccp.txt at this point though. It's not like it was ever great but there was a period where genuine reform and opening happened. Well, two actually, the real big one in the 80s and then the somewhat loose period from the late 90s to 2008. Long dead now.

It was shocking to see how quickly China flipped on pursuing gender equality after 2008. It went from "holding up half the sky" to the CCP chastising women staying unmarried for too long in the span of a few years.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Pharohman777 posted:

The wall street journal had an article today about the ongoing backlash against china by EU member states, and it ends up listing all the recent hissy-fits that the Chinese government has had there.

Got a link? Can't seem to find it on the front page or in the most recent articles in the Euro section.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
No Why Girl

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Nektu posted:

Could someone please provide a link for this?

The original reddit post about China's infection numbers fitting a quadratic model is this one
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeautiful/comments/ez13dv/oc_quadratic_coronavirus_epidemic_growth_model/

Here's a link to that graph showing how Japan's numbers are off compared to everyone else
https://www.reddit.com/r/newsokur/c...BC%B8%E5%85%A5/

Some reverse image searching turned up this guy as the source of that graph. He's an Italian physicist, and I think he's the one making these. Here's one with updated info from 3/10
https://twitter.com/AlessandroStru4/status/1237438786109308928

I'm not sure where this guy is getting this data. Also, he retweets a lot of alt-right stuff and rails against political correctness, so... yeah. :yikes:

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

d0s posted:

Why is Korea such a haven for weird cult poo poo? Moonies, the president having a personal shaman, Shincheonji, all of North Korea. A lot of it has a heavy emphasis on getting huge groups of people together do do things in sync for whatever reason like moonie weddings, mass games, the shincheonji services, and extreme conformity (apparently like 95% of South Korean cars are black, white, or silver; or the way plastic surgery to make you look like everyone else is the norm). Is there any sociological type thing to read about this, it's kind of interesting to me.

I don't really have an answer, but this article sheds some light about the history of Shincheonji and its predecessor, the Olive Tree movement. Basically these churches got their start during the Korean War as a place for people to find spiritual comfort and meaning while the world around them was falling apart. Then, when South Korea went through rapid industrialization during the Park dictatorship, people that were left out of the economic growth turned to these churches.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/asia/religious-movements-south-korea-intl-hnk/index.html

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Maybe my memory is shot, but I distinctly remember people in Hong Kong and Taiwan in the 90s using boba to refer to big tapioca pearls. It wasn't as common as just calling them 珍珠, but I don't remember it being a Chinese-American only thing.

I asked my dad about this and he mention when he was growing up in the 60s in Hong Kong boba use to mean boobs, but later on the word was coopted for large tapioca pearls in desserts.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Blistex posted:

They have a "friendly" history with China, but I'm betting they very recently accepted a large donation from the CCP.

The money is not even hidden as donations. The Serbian government is openly stating that they depend on Chinese investment to prop up economic growth

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r-idUSKCN1U71VG

quote:

The Serbian government hopes that infrastructure deals will give a boost to country’s economy. It is expected by the IMF and central bank to grow by 3.5% this year, down from 4.4% a year earlier, and around 4% annually between 2020 and 2022.

“The state must start new investments if it wants continuous economic growth or we could have major problems,” said Mihajlovic who also serves as the Deputy Prime Minister in Ana Brnabic’s Cabinet.

To achieve that, Belgrade plans to invest up to 8 billion euros in the medium term in infrastructure, mainly through deals funded by China, but also Russia, Turkey and Azerbaijan, as part of a wider 10 billion euro development plan made public by President Aleksandar Vucic last month.

Over the past decade, Chinese companies bought Serbia’s sole copper mine, a steel plant and invested in power production. In 2017 Serbia and Hungary also started construction of a Chinese-funded rail link between Belgrade and Budapest.

Mihajlovic sought to dispel fears Serbia could overburden itself with debt levels similar to that of Montenegro which borrowed heavily from China to build its own highway.

“We did not start anything without being sure we could offer guarantees for it,” she said.

The Montenegro highway project mentioned cost around $1 billion. If that debt level was too much, then surely 8 billion euros is more manageable.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
Even the Chinese recognize that the wet markets and consumption of wild animals are tied to the disease outbreaks that have occurred in recent years.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/01/25/world/asia/china-markets-coronavirus-sars.html

quote:

The flurry of government action came after an unusual outpouring of public sentiment against the trade of live animals. A campaign on Weibo, the social media platform, drew 45 million views with the hashtag #rejectgamemeat.

“Eating game does not cure impotence or have healing powers,” Jin Sichen, a television presenter in Nanjing, a city in southeastern China, wrote on his Weibo page on Wednesday. “Game not only doesn’t cure disease, it can also make you, your family, friends and even more people sick.”

“One must be mentally sick to eat game in order to show off and flaunt,” Mr. Jin added.

A group of 19 Chinese scholars also called on the government to do more to regulate the trade and the public to stop eating wild animals.

At the peak of the SARS outbreak in 2003, the authorities banned the sale of civets and culled the existing stocks, but within months they ended the ban and trade had resumed as before.

“It is driven by interests,” Qin Xiaona, president of the Capital Animal Welfare Association, an advocacy organization in Beijing, said of the current outbreak. “Many people profit from the wildlife trade today.”

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

oohhboy posted:

Underlings if they want to advance, keep their jobs, not get jumped by a rival or find the police at their door will use the easiest ways to get good numbers. The easiest way to do it is to fake the numbers by miscounting, misclassification, paying people off or straight up lie. Healing people means you have to report the truth which puts your head on the chopping block.

This is the big thing we're seeing about the Chinese government. Although local government have absolute power in their area of control, paradoxically they are almost helpless when the central government decides to punish them. Since the local authorities have so much control and oversight in their localities, they're left with all of the blame if something goes wrong under their watch. This creates an incentive for lower levels of government to lie to the higher levels to avoid scrutiny. Even if someone in the middle thinks someone lower is making poo poo up, they don't want to be on the hook to explain all of this if they report it to their higher ups.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/03/29/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html

quote:

When the central government became involved, local officials outwardly welcomed the expert investigators sent by Beijing. Officials described the infections as nothing too serious.

“They said that the illness was quite light, not much different from seasonal influenza, and there’d been no illnesses among hundreds of people with close contact,” Zeng Guang, a Chinese epidemiologist who visited Wuhan on Jan. 9, said of his talks there, according to the China Youth Daily. “They sounded very relaxed.”

Behind the scenes, officials in Wuhan mounted an effort to limit the number of infections counted as part of the outbreak, creating barriers against doctors filing cases.

A leaked report from Wuhan Central Hospital describes how in the first half of January local officials told doctors that cases had to be confirmed by bureaucratic overseers, above all, city and province health authorities.

An official from a district disease control center in Wuhan told the hospital doctor handling infection reports on Jan. 3 that “this was a special contagious disease and we should report only after superiors had notified us,” the leaked report said.

Starting on Jan. 3, Wuhan’s Health Commission set narrow criteria for confirming that a case was officially part of the outbreak, according to a copy of the diagnostic guide that was leaked to the Chinese media, possibly by a medical professional. The rules said patients could be counted if they had been to the market or had close contact with another patient who had. That excluded a growing number of likely cases with no clear link to the market.

For most of the first half of January, local officials maintained that there had been no new confirmed infections, even as doctors in Wuhan and visiting experts suspected that a dangerous contagion was spreading from person to person.

We're just over 3 months past what happened here. Unless there's been a dramatic change in governance, the political system of China in January is most likely the same one we see today. The central government has only so many people it can spread around to breath down the necks of local officials and watch over them. It's not exactly a stretch to think these local officials would go back to making poo poo up to get the higher ups off their backs once there is less pressure. This isn't proof positive that the Chinese government is lying about their numbers, but rather a warning that the Chinese government lies to itself.

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

Sten Freak posted:

They found the virus in pangolins. Are they eaten in China, used for TCM or both?

Both. Here's a CCTV/CGTN video about someone getting criticized online after bragging about eating pangolin. One picture is pangolin blood fried rice, and the other is some sort of soup or stew with pangolin meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZY7x1166EQ

I'm pretty sure pangolin is one of those things that people ostensibly eat for "health" benefits but in reality use it to show off their wealth.