Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Every time I see something like this, without fail the person demanding everyone speak the Queens(sic) English has no grasp on how to write in the language they love so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

oliwan posted:

the comments on that article btw are full of complaints about how rude it is when people talk to each other in public in a language that is not English, like on the street and in restaurants and on public transport

loving hell in what world do these people live?

I was in England in December with a cow-orker. We were sitting chatting on the train when a bunch of fairly drunk gammons heard our accents and started singing "You're going home, you're going home, you're going. Paddies gently caress off home" to the tune of Three Lions. I was born in the UK and lived there most of my life, but I figured explaining NI to them would be a lost cause.

My partner works in a Belfast call centre that handles UK-wide customer support for a big ISP. She doesn't answer calls directly but deals with complaints about the call centre service. Almost every day there'll be calls from English people who hear an Irish accent on the other end and immediately demand to be put through to someone who can speak the Queen's English. They've never had a call like this from a Scot.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

That looks really bad for Bernie though. He isn't loud and dumb and he has no cable news channel on his side. How do you win an election like that? Didn't he even sexually harass a woman?

He's unlikely to get the Democratic nomination anyway. I watched Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 11/9 a while back, and while it's obviously a very one-sided viewpoint, it was pretty damning on the dirty tricks the DNC deployed to get Clinton nominated last time. This time round the Dems seem to have concluded the reason Clinton lost is because she just wasn't centrist enough.

But yeah, if he somehow did get the nomination he'd be campaigning in the face of not just Fox News, but an all-out assault by every media outlet similar to what Corbyn faced.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Accretionist posted:

A bold new vision

Say it with me now:

The United Kingdom of England and Wales.

If we get the Isle of Man onboard we can use it as a staging post to liberate the less brokebrained parts of Wales.

Northern Ireland can also send some of the boys over to help Cornish separatists start an armed guerilla resistance.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Hey! Why are the Frogs still fishing in our waters now that Brexit has happened?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

Sorry, Bernie is going to win.

Taintrunner posted:

100% wrong-o.

Bernie is going to crush them all.

Bless.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Samovar posted:

Could you put this into context for an absolute idiot?

Ireland has basically been governed by 2 parties since winning independence from the Brits.

It's alternated between Fianna Fáil (Eng: Warriors of Destiny) and Fine Gael (Eng: Tribe of the Irish). Despite the kickin' rad names they're basically both centrist succ parties that have held power while, in recent years, promoting Ireland as a superficially progressive country - pro-choice, LGBTQ rights etc. But fundamentally they were both committed to neo-liberalism.

Ireland used to suffer a massive brain drain, where everyone with half an education would jump ship and go work elsewhere in Europe. But the small movements towards a progressive democracy have resulted in a lot more young people staying within the country. The 2 main parties hoped to capitalize on this and win the younger generation over to the joys of centrism. But instead a huge chunk of the youth vote went to Sinn Féin (Eng: Ourselves Alone) because, despite their history of supporting being the IRA, they're a party that promises full luxury gay space lepre-communism.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

marktheando posted:

I heard there is nowhere suitable in England so they would have to beg the Americans to let them dock in Virginia.

Devonport in Plymouth, on the south coast of England, is the major military port for the Royal Navy and could allow them to dock. It's not considered a good option as it places nukes in the middle of a fairly big urban centre, and the port's history of decommissioning nuclear-powered subs is already pretty spotty. It's also not a good launching point for deploying Trident to the North Atlantic, which is the theatre it was designed for.

The comedy option would be Lough Foyle in Northern Ireland, which offers a deepwater dock with even better deployment to the North Atlantic than the current Faslane base. But half the lough is in Irish territorial waters, and Irish reunification has a non-zero chance of happening before the facilities could be completed.

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Feb 11, 2020

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

AnoHito posted:

I feel bad that I didn't know until now that the Irish political parties all have the coolest loving names.

The three I mentioned all came about from the revolutionary period of Irish independence in the early 20th century, when romantic ideals of Ireland as an ancient warrior nation of proud Gaels was a big sell.

They're absolutely the most exciting thing about Irish politics, as the rest is just coalitions, compromises, and slowly becoming more progressive and detaching the Catholic church from political institutions. None of which is bad per se. Boring politics based on cooperation and compromise is no bad thing, but recently it's been a bit more centre-right than the mood of the public.

Sinn Féin scoring a huge win in this election is the biggest shake-up in Irish politics since independence, but it's still going to result in a fairly moderate coalition government. Irish politics is boring enough to only warrant off-topic shitposts in the UK thread.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Hillary 2020 posted:

People take Twitter too seriously. It's an opinion not a majority opinion. But I think James O'Brien is right, the thought of losing a piece of English territory is going to trigger some primal responses in the average chud.

Gibraltar - acceptable loss in keeping the UK British Isles a British state outside the EU.
Northern Ireland - acceptable loss in keeping the British Isles mainland Britain a British state outside the EU.
Scotland - acceptable loss in keeping Great Britain England an English state outside the EU.

Counter-point:

Freedom to import deformed bananas

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Feb 12, 2020

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

We went on a day trip from Belfast to Dublin on the bus at the weekend. Although it's an open border there's still a small chance of getting stopped for a random spot check; it's happened to me twice in the last 20 years or so. So everyone usually carries their passport or some other form of ID, just in case.

So while everyone else just flashes their ID with no hassle, there were two arseholes who didn't have any and kicked up a ruckus proclaiming that this kind of police state EU bureaucracy was the exact reason they voted for Brexit. The Gardaí didn't really give a poo poo and were happy enough to let them continue their journey, but those two loving moaned and bitched about it for at least 30 minutes after.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

hemale in pain posted:

They want the virus to decimate the UK. Then they can spin it as a EU plague from outside that they could of stopped if they'd have GOT BREXIT DONE sooner.

As per my gammon cousin on Facebook, Italy was worst hit because:

• It sticks out into the sea towards the Middle East so it's the first port of call for infected Muslims fleeing Iran.
  • They're all a bit queer with all that hugging and kissing cheeks so that's going to spread it.
  • Latin countries are hot so they all sweat a lot and don't have good hygiene
  • Rome is a destination for Catholics (he's an Ulster loyalist so he said Fenians) from all over the world so they were bound to bring it there.

He's also adamant that the entire thing is a hoax and is being overblown by the Fake News to promote NWO.

But even if it's not a hoax it's just the flu, and he had the flu at least 5 times last year, and anyone scared of getting a runny nose for a couple of days is a snowflake.

But even though he survives the flu 5 times a year, he's really glad Brexit has closed our borders. We're well-protected and not going to experience anything like Italy. Their government is all mafia corruption and bunga bunga parties, but we have strong Boris leadership containing the virus.

I bet him 20 quid there would be 1000+ cases here before Paddy's Day, but he's not accepted yet. I already stroked 20 off him by betting the WHO would declare a pandemic before Paddy's Day, and another 20 quid on NI getting its first case before March. It might be a bit morbid, but I feel it's more like taking money from an idiot by making sensible predictions, rather than betting on the spread of a horrible disease.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Purple Prince posted:

I disagree with it being racism specifically. I think what English people hate is smooth talking, well-presented, sloganeering politicians. The problem is that you need to be a smooth talker to get ahead in politics unless you are massively privileged, so it's easier to target "inauthentic" women and people of colour than it is to target Boris, because Boris is "authentic".

That's why Corbyn did so well in 2016: before he got on the wrong side of the Brexit debate, he was perceived as "authentic", but after the turn to Europe, the Labour Party became allied with middle-class interests at the expense of workers.

That "authenticity" is largely a media creation of course, but Boris plays the role very well.

No, it's racism.

Corbyn's campaign wasn't terrible, and played a lot on real-talk - here's the poo poo that's hosed up right now and here is our manifesto on how to fix it.

BoJo was always 100% a terrible person who has a track record going back decades of being a compulsive liar, a grifter, an opportunist. But he sometimes quotes Greek philosophers and talks in a posh voice, so the English are programmed to see him as their lord and master. He rode into office on a promise to "get Brexit done" and kick all the foreigns out of the country.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The government is on-track to meet their 100,000 tests a day target, by....including tests that haven't been carried out with kits that haven't been sent.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/story.aspx?storyCode=7027544

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Fox took the station off-air a few years back. It was averaging around 2,000 viewers a day, a fraction of the number of people employed by Fox in the UK.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

XMNN posted:

interesting watching the cunts bounce between "I am not a man a number, I need a haircut and to go down the garden centre and to meet my awful friends in the middle of a pandemic and you're all being so UNFAIR :qq:" and "fuckin whiny snowflakes, can't deal with a bit of hardship, not like in my dad's day with the blitz and the charging up beaches to show Jerry what for"
https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1262094234305380354?s=20

I've seen poo poo like "if WW2 happened today, millennials would be complaining that military uniforms were too drab and uncomfortable to wear".

No millennials are complaining about this. It's 100% boomers demanding that the poors need to get back to work so they can have their nails done.

I've been responding that it's more like we sent thousands of troops to die on the beaches of Normandy with no gas masks, helmets, or guns. But we all stayed at home and clapped to defeat the Nazis and that's how we won the war. My great-grandmother personally brought down the Third Reich by demanding the right to go for a manicure in 1944.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

Cromwell basically ruled as a king and was a fantastically dreadful person.

When he died everyone basically just went

"Well, we have that a try. Let us never do it again."

There was still a lot of popular support for overthrowing the monarchy in the mid-1700s but it never coalesced into a united movement like in France.

After the French Revolution groups like the United Irishmen and their counterparts the United Englishmen were calling for the UK to be broken into independent republics.

The ruling classes in the UK collectively shat themselves after seeing what happened in France and went all-out on suppressing the masses. Key figures from the movement were rounded up and charged with sedition, then executed or deported to the colonies.

The poor got hosed over through various means, which took a loose concept of class and reinforced it mercilessly, to the point that it's still part of the culture over 200 years later.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I'm sure our Japanese trade deal will flood the UK market with delicious kobe beef. If they send us their entire annual herd of 3000 cattle, that'll be one cow for every 21,000 people. Google says kobe beef sells at £150 for a 300g (10oz) steak, and that's the post-trade deal price. Can't wait to finally try some along with my 50p pack of udon noodles.

God, they really had to reach to find 10 things for that list.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

the hoover one might be my favourite. It captures the whole boomer brexit mindset and I didn't even know it was a thing they were mad at. Send a MESSAGE to Brussels! :bahgawd:

That one got them really mad and it's so stupid. Improvements in the efficiency of components and improved airflow means they just don't need as much raw power as they used to. Our old cleaner died last year. We bought a mid-range lower-energy replacement. The first time we ran it over our 'clean' living room floor, which had been vacuumed a few days before, we filled the dust trap with fine dust and cat hairs that the old one hadn't caught.

Appliance manufacturers aren't going to start making energy-burning inefficient cleaners specially for the UK market.

They must get so mad every time they go to their kitchen and see that the washing machine has a 30C cool wash option and their dishwasher has a water-saving mode.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Richard the Lionheart exception.

Consider this: a 1600W vacuum with modern technology. That's the kind of power British boomers deserve, able to rip their arm out of their socket the modern they power it on.

"I'm not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as I'm slowly sucked up and transformed into a Dyson dustball.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jose posted:

Mushy peas are vile

They're also pumped full of food colouring to make them green, as the UK exports most of its green marrowfat peas to Japan. If there's a shortage of food dyes post-Brexit it will be bowls of literal grey gloop for everyone.

Marrowfat peas are good. They're great for adding texture and bite to vegetable soup or broth. Only the magic of English cuisine could turn them into something so terrible.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

An insane mind posted:

So...how's Brexit going? Britania ruling the waves again?

Ruling the 2nd corona wave. Over 30 countries have banned travellers from the UK over the weekend, including France.

There's now a massive traffic and freight backlog in the south of England. Foreign haulage companies are saying they won't be sending trucks to the UK as they fear their drivers won't be allowed to leave, raising fears of fresh food shortages.

Everything predicted for Brexit is happening now. It's Xmas come early for Brexiteers!

Clyde Radcliffe has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Dec 21, 2020

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Currently #8 in the charts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8D-GbWR6c

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Had no idea Kunt and The Gang were still making new material. A few classics from their back catalogue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrUDftDkH3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGuSqSSmyy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleE--HDBiU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dustcat posted:

how fast does scurvy set in because i don't think there's too many dandelions growing in britain in december

perhaps the government could put out some advice on which breeds of dog contain vitamin C

Look at mister moneybags over here who can afford fresh dog meat. Your missus doing "favours" for the local dog butcher?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jazerus posted:

the blitz, but the germans are dropping aid packages

In response, the government launches a fleet of Farage Balloons over London to stop dangerous foreign vitamin bombs from reaching the ground.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

CactusWeasle posted:

Apparently they are still talking about fish lmao

I saw somewhere that the difference in quotas between what the English want and what the EU want is about £56m. Brexit is going to knock hundreds of billions off the country's GDP.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dustcat posted:

does britain at least get to keep the fish

where is the fish anyway, has anybody been keeping an eye on it

It's just down the road from me.

Sadly for the Brits it's in Northern Ireland, which is about to be annexed from the rest of the UK.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Gonna be fun to watch as the deal gets deconstructed by the media and it turns out that England caved in and surrendered to the EU in every single aspect, setting a strong example for future trade deals with every other non-EU country in the world.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpxV9xuqLeA

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I'm unclear. Is that tweet saying the UK is ditching the ECHR or will still recognise it?

Access to the ECHR is a right for every resident of Northern Ireland under the Good Friday Agreement. IIRC Cameron had a manifesto promise to introduce a British human rights act that would break from the ECHR, but it came to nothing largely because it violated the GFA.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Thanks! I tend to avoid reading replies to tweets for my own sanity.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Gripweed posted:

It's amazing that the British managed to gently caress up cooking eel, one of the most delicious fish, so badly that they are convinced it's a garbage fish. Just don't cook it like that! You could be eating delicious eel for every meal but you insist on being the worst loving country in the world that can't do anything right.

There's plenty of restaurants in NI that serve delicious smoked eel, usually caught the same day since once of Europe's largest eel fisheries is less than an hour's drive from anywhere in the country. It exports hundreds of tonnes a year to Germany and the Netherlands. They're so good they got protected geographical status in the EU so eels from other fisheries can't be passed off as the genuine article.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5j0JDOYOTA

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

bedpan posted:

Northern Ireland or Scotland first?

Once those go, how far behind is Wales?

I'd say Scotland. NI is unsustainable as an independent country and Ireland don't particularly want them back.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Amazon have stopped shipping booze from GB to Northern Ireland fml. They always had great deals on scotch and this has hampered my plan to drink myself to death before the country collapses.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Under the Good Friday Agreement a united Ireland needs majority consent from both Ireland and NI. NI isn't there yet, though Brexit is bound to help.

It has majority support in Ireland as an idea. In practice it would increase the population of Ireland by more than a third. The two countries have different legal systems, government bodies, currencies, education, social security, healthcare and on and on. And NI has a dysfunctional government with very little real power granted to it on those matters.

Scotland already has an independent legal system and parliament with most of the legislative and tax-raising powers needed to function as an independent country.

In an ideal world both would happen soon after England sank into the sea.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Ah to be 21 again, sailing the high seas and filling my coffers with plundered Spanish gold.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Reality Protester posted:

how do the lorry lineups look in Dover?

There aren't any. Of course it's a public holiday, and retailers had stockpiled for weeks beforehand so there's no immediate demand right now. Haulage companies are playing it safe as they don't want their fleets caught up in any delays. Drivers don't want to risk it as they get paid by the km rather than by the hour.

Meanwhile gammons are triumphant that the country has lasted almost a whole day outside the EU, and are using this as validation that nothing can possibly go wrong from now on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

crispix posted:

Northern Ireland has today become a freak de facto EU statelet and the path to unification seems inevitable now. It ought to be an enormous political embarrassment for the UK government and make any talk about having achieved national sovereignty risible but they really don't give that much of a toss about the place and also some people just have no shame. Northern Ireland's position in the union will be even more untenable if Scotland leaves - the former's cultural ties to unionism have always gone through Scotland.

my hoover bag order got cancelled and i had to dig all the dust and cat hair out of an old one yesterday in the cold and wet :manning:

Forgot to say earlier that sucks. I've run out of bags before and those things really don't want to be emptied and re-used. The town were I used to live had literally one store that sold hoover bags and invariably when I ran out they'd have every size and shape in stock except the ones that fit my cleaner.

They're like coffee filters. Something you'd expect to be really common and available everywhere but no bloody place sells them.

Thankfully I have a partner now who is sensible enough to ensure we don't run out of basic poo poo (and a bagless cleaner).