Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
trying to imagine what would happen if a bunch of brown people would set the union jack on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

If labour is gonna win the next election they gotta studiously avoid falling into the scotland trap, or the next election will just be a shitshow about labour trying to break up the UK.

If you feel bad about having to turn on scotland remember that all this is actually all their fault. If they had voted for independence it would have destroyed cameron and the tories and there wouldnt have been a brexit.

you are consistently the dumbest poster on these forums op, don't you think it's time to find another hobby?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm sorry but they would expect British people to learn to speak their language from where they came from so why shouldn't they have to learn English if they come to live here? Inside their own home they can speak any language they want but when speaking to a British person they should speak English.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus christ ops that is obviously a quote from the comments

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
the comments on that article btw are full of complaints about how rude it is when people talk to each other in public in a language that is not English, like on the street and in restaurants and on public transport

loving hell in what world do these people live?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry but i bloody agree i aint racist i have worked with people who have been in england for over 5 years and still cant speak english but somehowbget a job. Sorry but f i was to immigrate im making sure im fluent in the mother tounge b4 i even step foot. Why shoukd e have to try and understand them wen they dont want to learn.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just don't go to a restaurant again if the staff insist on speaking their mother tongue when they can speak English as it's just downright rude. As for holidays I find that most people speak excellent English and admire the fact they are bilingual. When I'm on holiday I always show respect for the culture and countries I visit. The only place I found this difficult to adhere to was America as they were loud and brash... but maybe that's just the part I visited.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd be happy if I could speak more than one language it's a great asset. However, I do find it rude when people, especially when I'm in a restaurant,  speak in their mother tongue in front of you, it makes me feel uncomfortable as I'm not sure what they are saying? By all means celebrate if you're bilingual but have some consideration for those who are not.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
On public transport, I find it rude when others don’t just speak their own language, but shout in their own language to each other, it really does make you feel uncomfortable. When we go to other countries on holidays you go their to take in the culture and try as much as you can to learn the language.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tusk: EU would be enthusiastic if Scotland applied to rejoin

Former European council president’s remarks will boost SNP’s campaign for second independence referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/02/donald-tusk-eu-would-be-enthusiastic-if-scotland-applied-to-rejoin

and so it begins

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

oh whoops. seemed like a post you would really make tho :shrug:

lmao, can you quote one single cspam post of mine to support this op? just one?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

cspam? So you're saying you do post like that elsewhere?

no

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

youve got me dead to rights. it was a show trial. a miserable star chamber, arranged for yr own destruction. the mods are out for yr blood

i knew this would happen once lastgirl and dogcrash truther would both be out of the picture

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

ah, I was about to translate some of your dutch posts, but I see you used the qualified "cpam post"

feel free to show a dutch post of mine that is in any way right wing op

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Well, as the IK/mini-mod of the Dutch thread one of my only policies was to crack down on people making fun of Flemish and Frisian and Afrikaans as languages, because some posters who speak those things said they felt harassed. Then someone made a post saying Frisian is not a real language (it is legally recognized as one of the two languages of the Netherlands), and I gave them a sixer. At this point you made a long sincere post about why this was wrong of me to do, and it ended with:

And then you offered to take over as IK. So even though I am a Dutch citizen and equal to you under the law, you said that because I am an immigrant who recently learned the language, I have no right to meddle in the linguistic affairs of this country. After this there were several pages of discussion during which everyone else intensely disagreed with you. The underlying nationalist and nativist sentiment, however, is functionally indistinguishable from these "joke posts" of yours in this thread:

So I repeat myself,

i know that Americans love telling other people and cultures how to behave, but yes, i still stand by my statement that you, an American who has just recently learned dutch, are in no position to tell native dutch speakers what they are allowed to say about dutch as a language, no matter what nationality you are.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
this whole situation is totally bizarre by the way.

i have posted some bizarre daily mail posts here to show how crazy those brexiteer opinions are, and consequently i have to defend myself as if i wrote those posts because "i could have written them". this is insane.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

that guy's twitter is pretty good, he's obsessed with cyclists and brexit

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

The Dutch later explained that the queues were due to training new border personnel, and that it was unrelated to Brexit

too bad

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

twoday posted:

Although there is an explanation that they were training to prepare them for brexit by testing out 2021 protocols, as happened at that train station in Paris which caused four hour delays

a glimmer of hope

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this where the Economist advocates a unified Ireland? I mean, that magazine has been around for like 200 years or something, so I wonder if they have directly incited any other bloodshed before.

:getout:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Communist Thoughts posted:

it cant really be overstated how intentionally murderous, perverse and cruel the british empire was.

we never learn about it and now we're brexiting as a direct result of never facing up to our digusting racism, its very poetic imo

I can recommend Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt by Richard Gott for this!!!!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just googled Tim dowling and of course he plays the banjo in a band lmao

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
how the hell do you people still remember in such detail what was covered in high school

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

therattle posted:

That’s not what the article is saying. it’s correct that fear of immigrants has been exploited and that there is resentment. that resentment can’t be addressed and changed if it isn’t acknowledged. labour made the same mistake in the UK for a long time of dismissing fears and resentment about immigrants just as racism, which prevented it from properly grappling with those feelings and presenting a proper alternative argument.

fears resentment about immigrants is literally racism op, hth

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

V. Illych L. posted:

immigration is genuinely unpopular everywhere in the world, let's not kid ourselves by pretending that this is because we just haven't explained it correctly. we must find a way to commit to a solidaric migration policy while mitigating the issue's relevance and avoiding the CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION mug style of politics. committing to fully open borders would be a disaster politically, it's an extremely marginal position.

migration is one of those issues where if we have to talk about it, we lose because we genuinely haven't got the ideological space to properly engage with it. ideally the answer would be an aggressively internationalist policy to improve other countries and communities around the world so that e.g. welfare and employment differences weren't a Thing, but so long as they are, liberal immigration policy is going to be used to undercut less-qualified labour's position (there are many examples of Freedom of Movement being used this way). this combines with racism and cultural chauvinism to create an incredibly sticky issue

we can bite the bullet and take the hit hoping that the rest of our policy proposals outweigh it, or we can run away from the issue. neither position is great. ideally we could institute better regulations like a mandatory workers' rights seminar and a union intro for migrant workers to address some of the undercutting issues, but so long as we have our individualistic liberal employment system a greater pool of potential candidates for a job is going to put downward pressure on the price of labour and create resentment easily amplified by racism. this is, unfortunately, a fact of our economy.

the immediate response to 'immigration controls create a black market' among these people is not going to be 'controls are wrong' it's going to be 'well then have a crackdown'. it's not a wrong thing to bring up, but it's not going to convince a great many people

OK boomer

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've said it before, but Britain's Empire: Resistance, Repression and Revolt by Richard Gott is a good book, and very c-spam

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
a new teacher in Berlin makes about €60k :)

(and Berlin teacher salaries are the lowest in Germany, although the progression differs)

oliwan has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Mar 1, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

marktheando posted:

So newly qualified German teachers make more than some head teachers in the UK lmao

My German friend said I should do teacher training and then move to Germany and get a job in an English language school, poo poo I really should do that. Will Germany still let people from this cursed island move over in 2021?

those are salaries for fully qualified teachers at public secondary and primary schools. Fully qualified in this context also means German at C2 level.

Teachers at (most) private schools make (much) less.

Teachers at "language" schools (so not public and not an actual secondary or primary school) make next to nothing.

oliwan has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Mar 1, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit post!!!!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

marktheando posted:

When you say next to nothing, do you mean by German standards or UK ones haha. I'm not sure if we mean the same thing talking about English language shoots, my friend said there are international schools where all the teaching is in English.

Also please let me live in your country

I'm a Dutch living in Berlin op, Germany is most definitely not "my country", although Berlin is my city :)

Yeah, I thought you were talking about English language schools in the sense of private institutions where you can learn the English language. Teachers make nothing at those and the are basically all "freelancers".

There are indeed international schools where the teaching is in English, but those are all private institutions and you will make less than at a public school, especially in the beginning... but maybe still more than in the UK. I don't know about the rest of Germany, but there are a couple of international schools in Berlin, but its not easy to get a job there

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sneak Lemming posted:

The fever clinics we should be setting up, and then to a quarantine area like a stadium if they are positive.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sneak Lemming posted:

It is literally what they did in China. They didn't want people going back to their homes and infecting their families, since it was the way most older people got infected and died.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30071-0/fulltext

I think you have corona in your brain op

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
meanwhile, Germany, Netherlands et. al. are completely shutting down schools, bars, pubs, sports clubs, private gatherings of over 50 people

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

K9 posted:

:chloe:

the british are not "inherently racist" you dolts

hm, their history suggests otherwise op

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

K9 posted:

i'm not saying there isn't loads of racism in britain, just that i don't think it's a defining part of our national character like some would have you think

British history suggests otherwise op!

I'm not sure if you're joking but if not, then that's the whitest post I've ever read

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
gcses and a levels canceled in the UK innit

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

V. Illych L. posted:

the sudden realisation that he's directly killed a bunch of people by being stupid was probably not nice for him

how can you be this naive op

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
derp immunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

V. Illych L. posted:

the world is changing as we speak - huge parts of the world are in lockdown and the global economy is melting down in a big way, and they're trying to keep it from collapsing utterly by stuffing it with public money. the price of oil has gone down precipitously, fuelling more instability.

the old order is seriously dying and conditions for the left are better than they've been since the fall of the soviet bloc, but we've got to keep our courage

isn't this guy not even from the UK lol?