Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

There's a reddit thread where people try to get leavers to seriously tell their reasons for voting that way.

After skimming it the top reasons are

Sovereignty
Immigration (poles)
The EU being a super state/federation and not being democratic
The UK being a money big for the poor countries such as Romania and greece

All in all I'm quite looking forward to this brave experiment the brits are undertaking, and wish them good luck. Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hillary 2020 posted:

Shameful the state of elderly care in the UK, can't believe the demented are allowed to wander freely in the streets.

Could be worse, they could be president!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

oliwan posted:

a new teacher in Berlin makes about €60k :)

(and Berlin teacher salaries are the lowest in Germany, although the progression differs)

A friend of mine is a teacher in Berlin and he makes more than literally any engineers in my Peer group that I know. I was expecting pretty good salary but when he told me what he gets after taxes I was still floored.

Also there are many many teacher positions still unfilled, people are switching to teaching from engineering and other jobs because you currently have a job guarantee more or less.

So yeah, Germany atm.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Almost one year after brexit and 11 days to go until a hard crash out there is still no brexit deal. Incredible. And one of the biggest sticking points is fish, of all things.

I have to say mad props to the actual EU negotiators, I would have thrown my hands up and hosed off many, many months ago.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If brexit gets extended again I swear to god

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

No sir, they're saying boo-oris, they love your strong performance in the brexit negotiations.

Son of Rodney has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Dec 24, 2020

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spankmeister posted:

Tonoigt on botom Gear our guest tonit my mate boris johnson the soiver of brexit *Boris Johnson drives a mini with the union jack on the roof into the studio with concerning speed, fumbles with the brakes and drives into the crowd*

Jerry looks at the camera "despite how it looks this is actually the best take of the night"

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Merry brexmas everyone!!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It's also very funny because they chose to suffer and ignored every chance of reversing it or suffering less just because

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

drat I can't wait to see what Britain will accomplish with 150 year old healthy superpeople, powered by 770 million pound in the nhs every single day.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spankmeister posted:

I love me some smoked eel tbh. Jellied eel is an affront to God.

Smoked is great, fried eel is God like. It's the maximum fat saturation point you can reach with a fish, and if you have something to soak that up its just so good.

By the way what's the reception of brexit in the UK? All I've heard is that the papers are doing victory laps for boris, while here in the EU everybodies slapping each other on the back for doing "the smart thing" while everybodies a bit blue balled from nothing spectacular happening anymore.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

They actually done it, they actually brexited, the absolutely madmen.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Frankly I'm brexited for what 2021 with a glorious and free britain will bring.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Breaking: people FURIOUS at things happening exactly as predicted, stay tuned for the president of the leopard face eating party giving an interview from the hospital

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lmao at the idea that after having hung up their caps decades ago, generations of traditional smuggler families in northern France are frantically unpacking their old boats from their smugglers coves, muttering "a cause de Pommes de terre! Pommes de terre! Ces stupides anglais" under their breath.

Smugglings back baby, and its to transport groceries over the channel while avoided the heated fighting of the cod wars. Brexit!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Not sure what the rules Were in the UK but that's propably Christmas aftermath, no? Still, gently caress.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Blackhawk posted:

I still lol at all of these bullshit half-lockdowns other countries try to pass off as extreme. Compared to NZ where our full lockdown was literally no leaving your house except to buy essential goods (groceries, medicine and even then only one person from each household was allowed to shop at a time) and exercise within a few km radius of your house. You were even banned from driving for any reason other than buying essential goods. You weren't allowed to meet anybody you didn't live with, obviously no schools open, no shops other than the big supermarket chains open, no delivery of non-essential goods.

It was seriously eerie, like living in an apocalypse movie. You could walk right down the middle of major roads and never see a car, it was a great time to go cycling (although only within 5km and the police would pull you over to see if you were violating that). It was so quiet too, you don't realise the level of nearly sub-sonic noise from cars you're constantly exposed to until it's gone.

Any lockdown that involves shops being open beyond what is required to survive, people leaving their house to go to work or drive around or schools being open is doomed to fail. Just like anywhere that allows quarantine-free travel or doesn't test the people in quarantine multiple times before releasing them is inevitably getting re-infected.

Edit: I can't wait until the European and US petri-dishes cook up enough strains of the virus which are vaccine-resistant that we can literally never go back to normal, all for want of sane political and social systems.

Dude I've been banging my head against the wall since last summer for exactly this kind of lockdown. I'm also from Germany and while your and some other country had eradicated Corona, we are still, right now, arguing about whether open schools are spreading the virus. Not by how much, but if at all. And even if it was the case, politicians argue, the mental strain for the kids is just too much too risk any further closings.

My office at the same time has been trying their damndest to get people to come in as much as possible and is only relenting currently due to the current restrictions. Christmas was a huge cluster gently caress of restrictions that kept changing, but ended up with 5 people from two households (kids not counted, because they obviously are not living beings), which most people kinda just ignored. This led to a neighbor of my parents with 3 adult children inviting them over one after another, just not at the same time. Even my well educated, lockdown abiding friends went home for Christmas, because quote "well im not gonna let it control everything ".

I really wish we did it like nz, believe me.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

... and furthermore, seeing as the definition of the word "beans" is solely dependent of the existence of more than one bean, the department of rationing rejects the criticism on our baked beans and toast package...

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Guys it's fun to laugh at the UK reaping what they sowed and pointing at the empty supermarket shelves, but here in the EU it's gonna get dire soon as well.

We'll have to go without all of our favorite British food, such as, uh, cheddar, baked beans, um.. After eight? Maybe? Cooked sheep head Ina can? Where do we get our chicken hearts from?

Anyway, though times ahead for us :(

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spankmeister posted:

Cheddar is good though.

Yes, please pray for us as we are left with only Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, German or Danish cheese.

no really cheddar is very good but seeing as the UK is not in the EU anymore they can't do the "it's only cheddar if it's from the cheddar region otherwise it's just orange cheese" thing anymore that has been going on with other food! so we'll propably have someone else produce it on the continent anyway. lmao

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cheddar was never protected, and is already being produced by Finland.

Yeah I was just guessing tbh, I figured that cheddar was something the UK was protecting in some way since its well known its from the UK.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

endlessmonotony posted:

Finnish cheese is excellent and only challenged by Danish cheese. The rivalry is a thing and has been for a long time.

Finnish chocolate is the least kept secret that people just don't pick up on. Licorice too.

Local bakery products are A+ but not good enough to export when you can get French baking in cheaper. Except if you want rye, which central Europe doesn't.

It's not all ammonium chloride industrial alcohol, cloudberry jam and chopped up reindeer.

Scandinavian licorice in general is the best in the world, imo.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Venomous posted:

I hope this new wave of pirates wear the right costumes and say the right things

the sea shanty meme going about is a good start, but if the next pirates don't start dressing up like Captain Hook and going yo-ho-ho and all that poo poo, their credibility'll be ruined

I'd be OK with captain haddock style ranting, blistering barnacles those @&#!&%!!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

genericnick posted:

Zwei Worldwars und ein Worldcup :sweatdrop:

Worst Bestien Burschen Song by far imho

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mrmcd posted:

Alternatively the idea of 'Hamburger Steak' was imported with German immigration generally but the root of it is people thought Germans just loving loved chopping up their beef.

I mean, looking at our cuisine, its true. We eat that poo poo raw, with onion, on bread, for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Today in German brexit news are reports that the UK is running out for cardboard due to brexit. 3 month waiting time for cardboard boxes.