Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

enojy posted:

That's kinda big for a Switch game, crazy huge for Animal Crossing

seems pretty normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Tempura Wizard posted:

Animal Crossing for Gamecube was so low-profile, you could launch multiple sessions of it by just taking it out the disc and plopping it into another GC. It ruled. I don't think my friends and I ever came across a situation where it didn't already have everything it needed loaded into the memory, even playing for hours.

it was just an n64 game on a gamecube disc thats why

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
no dlc because no matter how "good" it starts off as i cant imagine them showing any restraint if it gives them a decent return

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What Nintendo games have that kind of predatory DLC model? If they haven't done it yet, why would they start with their friendliest series?

Mobile games have no purpose but to suck time and money so I'm only talking about console releases.

amiibos, smash, botw, fire emblem. you can say you dont count the mobile games because mobile but even for mobile titles theyre agressively bad compared to a lot of others. its a toss up though because on the other hand the free updates theyve done for mario odyssey and mario maker 2 have been really wonderful, the pokemon dlc while not great is at least a step up from just releasing the game a second time at full price i guess. i think as a platform holder who is selling hardware as well as getting paid on all software purchases and who really hate sales, the least they can do is just not with the dlc at all and have some restraint with it and realise maybe you should just be adding value to your platform as a whole rather than chasing dlc money. they do this well enough for some of their titles (seriously the mario maker 2 free dlc has been ridiculously good, better than a lot of their paid dlc) so hopefully AC is one of those as well.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I said what games have predatory DLC pricing/options, nothing in your list is that.

This is what I mean. An Amiibo is a figure that also sometimes unlocks some bonus stuff but nobody is getting nickel and dimed off of or impulse buying Amiibo for their in-game uses. People that collect them do so for the figures themselves and rarely even take them out of the box to use them.

Smash's DLC includes a stupid amount of content for a fair price. Terry alone is worth the entire price of the Fighter's Pass. BotW and FE also offer season passes and offer a good amount of content for the price. There's no spending 5 bucks to get a chance at a sweet sword in BotW or buying individual unit packs for FE or any of that. None of that bad practice leaves the mobile world so why is anyone worried about it coming to mainline games?

Also some of the Mobile games are developed by outside teams, aren't they? I know Pocket Camp and FE Heroes have some garbage rates but Dragalia Lost is very fair and that's probably as much CyGames as it is Nintendo. Either way, again, mobile doesn't matter until there is evidence they have affected the console games in any way.

Of course it'd be nice if there's no DLC at all, I'm happy with free content drops, but if there is DLC I have faith it will be fair and worth the money for what it adds to the game.

i strongly disagree that smash, botw and fe passes are anywhere close to good value for the money, and feel that is especially true when its contrasted by the free updates in their own games, and given that theyre first party and that i think that platform holders like nintendo, sony and ms should really never be adding paid dlc into anything. they should be incentivised to support their games enough by the fact that driving interest and platform sales directly benefits them. also botw especially putting hero mode behind dlc really left a bad impression. heck the dlc in general in all of those cases would at least not feel as bad if i knew well hey i can probably pick up the base game very cheaply in a year or two, or hey ill probably get that from the monthly sub right, but when i know im probably going to have to pay full price even for older first party games, adding stuff on to try and make those £60 purchases £90 really sucks no matter who is doing it.

people do buy amiibos just for the in game stuff and sometimes that is off impulse. thats by design, otherwise there would be no reason to include it as there is already a market for just high quality figures.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Smash is 100% worth the money and I think there's some crazy hoops you have to leap through to say 5 brand new fighting game characters, stages, and 100+ new songs aren't worth 25 dollars.

Like Three Houses I have no comment on as I haven't bought it and BotW's burned a lot of people but lol at the smash comment being up there.

i dont think any fighting game should put new characters into dlc and i think its just as bad in other fighters when they do it as well

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
did we see rosie yet. she wasnt in the released pics... wheres rosie...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

We're just going to have to agree to disagree then because what we consider to be a good value is just too different. Not wanting first party games to have DLC is a nice thought but wildly and unreasonably optimistic given how modern gamers have come to expect an almost "games as a service" level of post-release content from almost every major new game and studios are all too happy to oblige in most cases.

I also would like to know what you're referring to with regards to free updates being as substantial as paid DLC. Odyssey did the Luigi Balloon Hunt thing which was fine but not nearly as impressive as any of the season pass stuff mentioned before. It's not like they've added new worlds or moons for free. Only the Mario Maker update seems anywhere close and even that just makes sense since that's one player base they do not want to fracture since that game lives and dies by the ability to make and play any level.

People are impulse buying Amiibo to get access to... what? Mario Kart 8 Mii costumes? Amiibo are a minor attempt at the toys to life thing with minor game interaction but I know of absolutely nothing substantial that they add to any game except maybe Hard Mode in Samus Returns which is admittedly bad but one exception does not change the rest.

EDIT: Maybe Kirby's updates could be considered paid DLC level but that to me seems less like generous content additions and more like fixing a game that was released too early.

well i feel like its not that optimistic. ms is awful at it, but sony is pretty solid at just, not really doing dlc for most things. thats not to say never (spiderman) but stuff like god of war has nothing at all, and games like days gone just get free dlc. the only notable stuff they do do more regularly is 8ish hour standalones which is much more palatable even if i still dont think its great. and the frustrating part is nintendo is sometimes good at it and sometimes not! i mightt have a blind spot here though and be missing some really awful examples from them tho and in that case welp lol

mario maker 2 is the absolute standout and they couldve really really easily just said you cant use the new stuff to make levels unless you buy it, and the amount of free support theyve given it matches what is paid in their other games and by itself makes everything else seem really bad. even the luigi balloon hunt + all the new outfits is basically the same tier as some of what they put in a "wave" or two of a "season pass" but for nothing. and yeah the kirby stuff, even if its result was doing that they absolutely couldve still just thrown it into a pass. but its free. so its weird because nintendo keep hopping back and forth on it.

people do, its dumb because its insanely minor stuff but people really do go buy them just to get it. people pirate the nfc stuff just to get the extra content and its all stuff that... i dont see why its not just in the game? the only reason to put stuff on the amiibos is to get more people to buy them, because you get little digital stuff with them. theyre not doing it if there isnt a solid financial incentive for it.

but i feel like yeah we probably just wont agree on this. im happy to leave this here so we dont keep spamming up the thread with it because we probably wont get any further. if you wanna respond to anything just to refute or respond so its not like im saying this to just get the last word in or anything gross before agreeing to drop it thats cool and i wont slide back in or anything.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

She's in one of the Nintendo Directs that talked about New Horizons.

ahh i usually dont watch any of those so thats why i missed it!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

jackhunter64 posted:

UK residents, have a look at Shopto, you can get a digital code for £39. It's cheaper than the eshop and they're an official digital outlet the same way Amazon are, so no worries about codes or accounts getting revoked.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ndo10004427-animal-crossing-new-horizons-switch-p191565/

ive used shopto a couple of times and they are legit, sometimes there is a short wait before the code comes through though. happened on my first purchase with them and i freaked but it came through an hour later and i havnt had it happen again since then.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
its just nintendo

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

vanisher posted:

Hmm it looks like they removed the "in game purchases" tag from the ESRB rating on the site:

now this is win

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
bernie bro dlc would involve tom nook going to jail and everyone getting everything for free so if reggie is listening i would buy bernie bro dlc thank you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
klob makes me think of the klobb from goldeneye so a gun villager

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
wild world owns and has the best music

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Gripweed posted:

Is this canon? I always imagined it as made out of burlap or a similar cheap, tough material

- me opening my fallout 76 collectors edition

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
just learn hiragana so you can fit more into the character limit

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Hempuli posted:

Ah, bummer. Thanks! The social stuff in SV isn't super in-depth, either - every character has a bunch of characterizing cutscenes you bump into as you know them better, wander in specific places at specific times, have favourite spots etc. You can also gift items to them and every character has their own preferences. Once you see all of the content it feels a bit shallow, but early on the process of getting to know everyone and see little glimpses of their personality/behaviour via the cutscenes is a lot of fun.

Tbh, Animal Crossing villagers finding their favourite spot on the island you terraform would be cool. A character prefers a forest and would eventually start hanging in your cool forest park, etc :c00l:

SV characters have more of an arc due to the story lines and events as your friendship grows but its pretty much a linear thing. AC animals just get friendlier and remember stuff and chat to you and ask for stuff. i wouldnt say either is better or worse than the other, just different approaches.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
thats not freaking out thats just sensible preventative measures lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
how about "one meeellleeeeioonnn dollars" haha

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
wheres rosie!!! where is she!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

LODGE NORTH posted:

How many cards are there? I could relatively easily make the cards and then just put them in a box that we pass around.

this is very a cool and nice idea but in all seriousness probably not a good idea to do something like this, right now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
pretty sure the list is just about how popular they are not if theyre good or bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Somebody please help me figure out how to make Cats Only a reality as my town.

- andrew lloyd webber

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
1. this is technically the most expensive dlc ever
2. if my switch isnt my kawaii (cute) and chibi (small) turquoise lite ill be flipping me lid

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Eiba posted:

I'm going to be resetting my town until I get pears. :colbert:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Nemo2342 posted:

Hey Infinitum, want to hit me with a 6er while you're still IK? I know you want to abuse your mod powers, and you deserve to after handing out all these gang tags.

theyre a more permanent ik now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

compounded daily posted:

Stardew Valley (and pretty much any Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) always stressed me out because of that dang clock. I know they're supposed to be pretty easy going games, but the days always feel like they run out too fast, I can't get enough done! Maybe because of all the years I spent playing AC before even touching one of those games.

Anyways I'm just gonna chill to my favorite OG track until the game drops. I haven't read the spoilers, and I don't plan to, so I'm just going to blindly hope they let you choose from the previous games' soundtracks at some point. Or maybe it will be DLC?

stardew valley is amazing but it needs to be played on pc so you can put in a mod to let you control the time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
theres a price to pay

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Khanstant posted:

LMAO what kind of sentence is this, it's the best tasting fruit on Earth! :p

How are y'all getting screenshots to your computer? Does the switch let you email em or something?

you can post them on twitter, i made a throwaway account just for my switch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

enojy posted:

It's awesome. It's the upgrade to New Leaf we've all been waiting for for like 8 years now. The only immediate downside I can come up with so far is it's just a touch less convenient due to the lack of a second screen (gotta stand still for a second to see the map pop up, inventory management is a little more tedious with no touch screen, etc.) Just nitpicking, though. Other than that it's amazing.

if you go into the map app on the the nookphone and press x you can set the minimap to display at all times

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
everyone complaining about the jocks meanwhile roald the penguin keeps asking me about free weights and im never letting himleave

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

The square one below the dpad buttons on the left joycon is screenshot.

you can hold it for a video too but this doesnt work on all switch games. i dont know if its only games from before the feature that dont or not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Hobo Clown posted:

When do days click over? Not local midnight?

5am

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
hey if you have people over and you catch a bug at the same time you both get it. works with two people at least.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

enojy posted:

You're able to buy one eventually at MSRP (aka 35,000 bells!)

yeah i had one turn up today in the nook terminal store and i def ordered it and sold the normal switch to help pay for it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

If I open my gates to “all my friends” do they get any notification or would I have to message them outside Animal Crossing.

This is for ppl not yet in the AC best friends app, but who are on my Switch friends list and have AC

you can send out an in game message to all your best friends if you go on the app on the nook phone and press y