Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nook is a monster.

This game is going to be amazing. Tommy's sacrifice was not in vain.

(The rest of the nook comics here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I have a friend who has a good collection of the amiibo cards. I'd never use them to invite old friends over. I want to see where life takes me and make new friends.

It might be a bit more balanced/okay if the ability to invite amiibo card animals is gated behind unlocking Harvey or something and that takes a while so you can invite old friends into a developed island, but you gotta play through from the start with the animals Fate introduces to you.

Gripweed posted:

That would be such a gently caress you to the competitive Animal Crossing players who have been begging them to take out tripping
My Animal Crossing withdrawal has been such that I've been watching Animal Crossing speed-runs.

Help. My life is out of control.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wait, I never really looked closely at this video until now, but look at this god drat island map:

I was worried after the demonstration map that things were going to have to be kind of basic, but that's a super exciting layout! I want that!

Original map for comparison:

So with a sample size of two, some things I suspected have been semi-confirmed. For whatever reason you start out without access to cliffs. The airport/Nook area is between two branching rivers. That means you need to craft a vaulting pole to actually go up and touch a cliff.

Why is that important? Pine trees have only been shown growing on top of cliffs. All of the trees on the lower level have been leafy trees.

So we've basically confirmed that there's an exploration aspect that's tied in with crafting and stuff. You craft stuff to get to new areas, and those areas have materials that let you craft other things. Presumably there's a way to scale cliffs, but even if it's easy to do/craft, you need a vaulting pole to even get to the cliffs.

This is, as everything about this game, exciting and worrying at the same time. I love the idea of expanding my area of influence on the island. Discovering rugged new untamed areas and expanding my central development out into those areas over time, eventually putting in bridges and stairs to connect it all together. That sounds delightful. However I do not like the idea of being constrained between two rivers and a beach to start with. I want to build my first tent on more exciting terrain! As long as your tent isn't the place you have to build your house, this will eventually be fine, but it is a trade off.

I was worried that the airport being between branching rivers would mean island layouts would be boring and samey, but this picture has put all that to rest. Gonna have some lovely unconventional islands. I wonder if you can have it so one of the rivers flows out east or west, giving you a corner bit to start with... I'd like that.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Argue posted:

I just hope we get more than 10 custom tile slots per character this time, although I guess I wouldn't need as many now that pathmaking is an actual game feature instead of something we cobble together by making a bunch of brick tiles.
Yeah, with real path making tools, I don't see any need for a bunch of custom pattern mules anymore. In fact, even if you can slap patterns on the ground they're going to look terrible with everything else being so high resolution.

In fact custom clothes patterns would also look real bad, and I don't even know how they'd interact with the new textures and everything.

Maybe... maybe there won't even be custom textures at all. Is that a crazy thing to imagine?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

You'd think the fact that Pokemon had the same kind of warning for proper DLC expansions would put some people at ease, but I guess the magnitude of the terror is making it stick in some peoples heads.

I get that it's scary, but we literally haven't learned anything new. There is no indication of microtransactions. It's still possible (if Nindendo have completely lost their minds), but it was always possible.

It's not especially likely though. Animal Crossing has always been a very comfortable, well curated experience. The game captures the slow passage of the seasons and a real time feeling of things changing, making slow progress to get the satisfaction of paying off your house. That's what Animal Crossing is- taking your time and working on things at your own pace, anticipating distant rewards.

Pocket Camp uses the Animal Crossing skin for a fundamentally different type of game. You can see all there is to see in a couple days if you pour money into it. It doesn't care about any of those kinds of gentle long term feelings, instead having surprising exciting gacha events to keep you excited with unexpected novelty.

You can't just take some of the gameplay mechanics of one game and just kind of put them in the other. If Nintendo is trying to create that low key, long term vibe that they've proven to be so good at with Animal Crossing, then microtransactions to speed things along would just be paying to ruin the experience. There's no reason they would do that- they wouldn't create that pleasant vibe in the first place if they were planning to let you bypass it. They might release like, a Sanrio pack of special furniture you can buy with real money or some poo poo, but they are not going to turn this game into Pocket Camp. They wouldn't be making this game at all if they wanted to just keep on doing Pocket Camp style exploitation.

In short, if Nintendo understand Animal Crossing at all (and by all indications they do, having invented it and all), this game will not have any of the gameplay microtransactions that Pocket Camp had.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

track day bro! posted:

should i buy this game
yes

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What an amazing Direct. It answered all the questions I had with the best possible answers. And I never expected terraforming!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm also one of those types who won't be doing any terraforming, too lazy and uncreative, but I am hype for chill island days.
I want to keep things naturalistic and not totally overhaul the island as I get it, but terraforming is going to be incredibly useful for just tidying things up. If there's a place you want to put a shop, but there's a bit of a pond in a way or the river is one tile too close, you'll be able to correct it.

And especially the way the ramps seem to work, they're going to look terrible if you don't terraform them into the cliff.

It's going to be fun what other people do with it. I tend to only play games with my irl friends, but I'm curious to see what goons get up to with all these tools available to them.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wonder if the 383 villagers are just the returning ones and not counting the new ones.

I wouldn't mind them culling the hippos though. I don't think I've ever met anyone that actually likes them or the Rhinos. (Cake Rhino is cool)
Hey, Rocco was my buddy! He was a grumpy working class construction worker hippo with a warm heart beneath his gruff exterior! He's the only villager who lived in my town longer than I did. He was there from the start, and that made him special.

Incidentally, my relationship with Rocco is why I'll never choose my villagers. I never would have picked Rocco out of a list to be my old friend- he became my old friend organically over the years.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't decide at all on what kind of village I wanna make.

I'm split between wanting to do a fairy tale theme or a sand castle one.
I'm split between a traditional Japanese "Zen" town, and a post-industrial run down feel, with trash and tires all around. I feel the map's big enough that you might be able to do a couple "villages" on your island.

I want to do a dense town by the port, and then make another cluster of buildings in or near the mountains, with most of the island remaining wilderness with paths through it. Maybe try to make the main town all pretty and pristine, with Japanese lanterns and poo poo, with the trash town hidden in the woods.

Putting furniture outside and being able to place villagers houses is such an amazing concept. There's so much we'll be able to do in this game!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'll probably remake the entire island several times depending on my whims.

I may recreate landmasses in miniature. I wonder if you can divide it up into multiple islands.
There's no indication that you can move stone terrain, and the whole north side of every island we've seen has been stone.

Additionally, every river mouth has had two tiny stones on either side of it, so it's possible that river mouths are fixed. I feel like they might do something like that to prevent any sort of river fish/ocean fish issues. Like if you dig out the beach and create a huge bay, what kind of fish would you catch in it? Beaches are a bit lower than the land anyway, so it's possible you just won't be able to mess with the beaches at all.

Still, the island is huge so you could make a massive lake with whatever kinds of islands you want inside it, I suppose.

It's possible the water tool will be way more flexible than I'm imagining, but at this point I'd guess the beaches, stone terrain, seaport and residence services are going to be fixed locations. I think we've more or less gotten confirmation that literally everything else can be changed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

maybe they changed the way cliffs are allowed to work in this game, but in the past they could only be oriented in certain ways (prolly due to the camera angle), so i'm not sure you could actually have cliffs like that at the bottom of your island

cool idea anyway, and maybe it'll actually be doable
We've seen for instance that shot with the lighthouse where a chunk of cliffs were built near the southern coast, so yeah, probably doable.

But the camera angle thing is a real issue with that plan. By default there are very few north facing cliffs besides along the north end of the island, which is all rock, and I'm sure that's because it'll be absolutely impossible to see anything buried just north of a cliff.

Maybe if you're going to do the crater island plan make it so the river goes around the south edge of the crater so there's less land it's obscuring. Might make fish catching harder though.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

New commercials!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qu_Omnyogw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_DQ4VSdEBc

Both very cute!

But the first one has an amazing reveal: you can play the ocarina! Playable instruments.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some interesting details there presuming those are valid maps; you can have multiple river sources and they won't necessarily end in the ocean, islands tend to have back walls of rocks, which seem to be the same for three out of four of those? Though yeah, those might be mock ups, especially since one of them doesn't have a visible jetty. (unless it's behind the D)
If you want to look at real islands, this is what we actually saw in the direct:

So yeah, up to three river sources, and rivers can end in ponds, which is weird but neat.

Every island starts you between two rivers, limiting you to about a quarter of the island before you get the vaulting pole. Every island has that little bit of beach up north. Every island has a dock. And interestingly every island has a bit of grass that juts out into the ocean.

I find these maps really compelling for some reason. I can't wait to work with some of this interesting geography!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Good riddance to lakes. It was too awkward to see/catch fish in them. Or at least it was in the lakes I remember playing with.

I'd be happy if there was just pond/river/ocean for the different fish types.

You could always dig yourself a lake if you wanted. I wonder how it'll figure pond/river distinctions if you can essentially turn one into the other. It's going to be kind of interesting to see if people end up min-maxing landscape designs for fishing, like how we all made a ring of tropical trees around our island, whether we liked the look or not, because it was the best way to get bugs to spawn and grind money.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wow, I love being able to just change everything whenever.

I also like boys and girls hair and eyes being available to everyone. I wonder if you'll even pick your gender or if they'll just refer to the player as "they" in the rare times a player's pronouns are used, letting you present as whatever you want whenever you want, and having that be the end of it. That would own.

Hihohe posted:

Look like you can change your appearance from that mirror. I wonder if its any mirror.
Yeah, the Japanese just says "table mirror," but honestly even if it's a special mirror the furniture suggests it's an early game thing- not long after you get your house.

Edit: The original Japanese tweet says:
"By the way, you can rest assured that your appearance will be adjusted even on an uninhabited island!
If you have a mirror or a dresser, you can easily take a picture anytime ♪"

So yeah, any furniture it looks like!

The tweet for the character creator reads:
"After checking your name and birthday at the counter, you'll be asked to take a photo for your passport.
Get dressed as much as you like and become yourself who you want to be!"

No mention of choosing your gender!

Eiba fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 26, 2020

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I think some villagers would say "bro" or "ladybro" to a character depending on their gender. And Kapp'n would say creepy stuff to female characters and generally comment on the gender composition of groups he was carrying in his boat, "Yer a lucky lad with two ladies" or "[male character] you gotta be a gentleman and take care of [female character] out there," or that sort of thing. And of course it was harder to get hair of the opposite gender, and the two genders had two fixed set of eyes that were different.

In short, nothing of value will be lost if there's no gender in this game.

Edit:

Bleck posted:

this but replace 'game' with 'society'

Eiba fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 26, 2020

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I can't think of a single instance in an Animal Crossing game where you're referred to with third person pronouns either.

You're talking to everyone so everyone just says "You"
I think if a player visited your town your villagers would say something like, "I liked [visitor]. [He/she] seemed like a cool cat" or that type of thing. But I don't think it'd come off as weird for them to just say "they".

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

In the maps we've seen are there cliffs where the grass ends and the beach begins? I want to make a boardwalk with shops lined up right on the edge of the grass where the beach begins and cliffs here will screw this up.
You mean like a situation where it goes straight from grass to beach basically? Yes. That's the default now. This isn't like New Leaf where all beaches have cliffs next to them. The southern part of the island is generally just above sea level (just a little bump up from the beach), and there are only cliffs up in the north.

If you mean grass right up to the ocean, there is one rare spot on every island where that happens, it looks like.

vanisher posted:

The land angles near the ocean look like they've been edited, so maybe that's possible? This may be on the rocky area of the beach
This looks like it might be on that one grassy cape on the island where the grass naturally goes up to the ocean. The cliffs appear artificial, but the land around it jutting into the ocean could be natural, from what we've seen.

Looking more closely at this... it's kinda ugly. I know they're going for a dramatic rock outcrop or something, but it looks weird all square like that. And it'll look even weirder when it's not snowing and it's got a green ring around the top.

That's one thing I can see frustrating people- looks like paths don't go to the edge of tiles. They have to be surrounded by a fringe of grass. So if you wanted to extend your beach and put sand further inland, there would still be a green fringe between your artificial beach and the natural one. And there will be situations like this where you want to cover the top of a cliff, but it'll still have a green border no matter what you do.

Obviously this is not the end of the world, and it's amazing that we have the feature at all, but I can see that being an issue for some people.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bleck posted:

I hope that ocarina really was playable and I also hope that there are other instruments so I can start an animal crossing band
Yeah, we saw a player playing it and making sound and everything in one of the Japanese commercials.

No way it's only the ocarina that's playable. We essentially have confirmation that animal crossing bands are possible.

The only question is if it's still "press A for a random note", or if you can somehow choose your notes. Probably the former, which would still be fun, but being able to actually play music would own.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kaethela posted:

How did instruments work in previous games? Honestly cannot remember if it was random or town tune or something else.
If you interacted with an instrument it would play a random note. You could tap it to the beat of the music playing in the room and it sounded vaguely like you were trying to help.

Qubee posted:

Local sounds frustrating with the whole camera focus thing. It sucks that you can't go off doing your own thing on another part of the island. I'd take optional splitscreen over that. What do the people who are unfocused do, just wait for the main person to get closer?
Think of it more like taking turns playing, but the person not actively playing can kind of run around the person that is currently doing stuff. And you can swap who's active on the fly.

Also, with all this talk of "local" and "online" it should be noted that if you have two switches, but no internet, you can still visit each other's town locally.

Thwomp posted:

Wait, what about profiles? If my wife has her own profile on our Switch, can she then have her own island?
One island per switch, unfortunately. Different profiles are required for different players on the same island.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

I thought shops were open all night though? Unless they close for specific events.
Resident Services was 24 hours, and it's the shop in the early game. I don't think we had confirmation on the other shops, so this is indirectly confirming that the Nooklings do indeed go to sleep for the night once they escape their uncle's oppressive gaze.

Looks like graduating from camp to town brings some limitations, in addition to new opportunities. Really mild limitations, but still. I like it. A more gentle tutorial followed by a slightly "tougher" main game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just hope the store still goes through its upgrades

Like I don't know why it wouldn't but I still like the big gaudy supermarket that New Leaf got by the end of it
I'm far more conflicted.

On the one hand, we have far more control over our town's aesthetic than every before. Being able to just place furniture anywhere lets us create all sorts of atmospheres. I played Happy Home Designer. There's a ton of different feelings you can evoke with different combinations of Animal Crossing furniture. Maybe I want a sleepy small town feeling. Maybe I want something more rural or rustic.

On the other hand, big flashy reward: yes please!

In conclusion, I would like three different flavors of big gaudy supermarkets to chose from, please.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kaethela posted:

Watching the direct yet again, I'm really hoping for daily quests or the like to have an unlimited source of nook miles. It would feel pretty bad if they eventually ran out.
Nook Miles+ were confirmed at PAX East. They change daily and appeared to give a bit less than 2,000 miles if you did them all. Additionally you get some miles for just checking the nook miles machine, with the implication that you get more for checking on consecutive days.

So it seems like you'll probably get enough to get a nook miles ticket just about daily, if you so desired.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Hot take: rear end in a top hat villagers are lame and un-cozy.

New Leaf villagers were totally full of personality. I loved grumpy villagers who gave you a hard time but let you know it was okay. They were still gruff and had a hard time delivering a straight compliment. They had their own vibe, totally different from Lazy or Jock or Smug villagers. They just didn't ever say things to make you feel like poo poo out of the blue.

And that's good.

This is Animal Crossing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

jackhunter64 posted:

Current list of RACCOON GOONS, if I've missed anyone then emptyquote the entire thing in anger
Never had a gang tag before, but I would very much like to be a raccoon goon!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So many Racoon Goons... It's almost intimidating.

Thank goodness for that new system where you can just post a temporary code and anyone can join your session because I'm not going to bother adding a million people as friends, but it would still be nice to play with folks here. Especially to corner the stalk market. Being able to just say "turnips 500, here's a code" and let whoever show up is going to be a huge quality of life improvement, especially if this community is going to be so active.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I wonder if there will be restrictions on how many bridges and ramps you can have.
There's barely any proximity restrictions. We saw them incredibly close to each other in the direct.

Judging by how the rest of the game's been changed and the general design philosophy of "gently caress it, do whatever you want," I'd be surprised if there was a limit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i kinda want to make the log bridges and natural ramps and just make my island look like a shantytown
I am so looking forward to shantytown style. Half buried tires, barbed wire fences, and lots of weeds.

At least a shanty district. I really just want to make different parts of my island feel very different from each other. A shantytown here, a pristine forest with ancient ruins in it there. There are so many options to create really compelling settings. I want people to feel different things in different places when they visit my island.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Usernames between A-O have been done
This is amazing, thank you!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So the rumor is that swimming is not in the game currently, but there is a swimming animation if a player is put in the water "using debug tools".

This is from someone who claims to have a source in Nintendo, who correctly called that Mr. Resetti flies a helicopter before we had any evidence to suggest Resetti's role.

There's no special reason to trust this rumor beyond that, and it could obviously be nonsense leveraged off of a lucky guess, but if it's true it does suggest that swimming will be added in an expansion of some sort, which doesn't sound too implausible to me.

Personally, while I like the idea of swimming, I think the implementation was really annoying in New Leaf, so I'd be happy if they took their time and made it actually feel nice and fun to do.

There's a lot of opportunity for expanding this game in general. They've already established a fairly well recieved precedent with Welcome Amiibo, and holidays are confirmed to be patched in. I have no problem with this. If done well it could greatly expand the life of this game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

There's a weird patch on the island behind the cliffs. I wonder if they're not planning a DLC that opens up some sort of extra area that would include diving or something similar.
You can get to that patch with just a ladder to climb down the cliff.

There are a number of odd little things present on every island map. The tiny northern beach, a grassy peninsula that juts out to sea, and a dock.

We've seen all of them in footage and there's nothing obviously special at any of those locations. They're just things every island has.

They could easily be locations of special features/future expansions though. Especially the dock. It's a place Kapp'n could reasonably show up.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That music editor is great.

I'll probably go with Bink's Sake, without going full One Piece themed or anything. It's a nice happy sea shanty, perfect for island life.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So what I most want to know is if upgraded tools still break. Like the fishing rod and bug net in particular.

I can deal with early flimsy tools breaking, but if we have to deal with stockpiling backups forever, that'd be slightly lame.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

There's almost certainly no way they haven't added unbreakable versions as the final upgrade

Maybe this will be the benefit of golden tools
Well if course the golden versions won't break. But the golden net and fishing rod aren't going to be obtained for the better part of a year.

We've also seen cute customized tools, and it would be real unfortunate if you had to remake them all the time.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

You've usually had to catch every fish or bug to get the golden tools. Presumably there are some winter bugs and fish we just missed.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Well according to the reviews: it takes about a week of RL time before you unlock things like the vaulting pole, ladder, and town tune so I can see people wanting to time travel a bit until the island is in a later stage.
Wait, I've not been keeping up with reviews, where was it confirmed that vaulting pole and ladder were locked to a week in? We've seen them used and crafted in pre-town-hall towns a bunch of times already.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm glad that the world of animal crossing has abolished gender
In character creation it asks you to "chose a style" instead of gender, and emphasizes that you can change your style any time.

What a wholesome game.

Iymarra posted:

The question I have is the following -

Today is day 1. I exhaust all usable things (tap each tree to get wood etc)
I decide to timeskip to day 2 and do the same.
If I go back to day 1 then allow time to flow naturally, will day 2 have no resources as they are already interacted with, or would it reset?
Possibly relevant: The one video that vaguely examines time travel I saw started on the 15th and Nook gave an introduction to the day. They then went back to the 12th and Nook gave no introduction. They then went to the 13th and Nook gave an introduction to the day again.

This suggests that possibly the game doesn't reset things if you go back in time, but if you go forward a day, even to a point that's still in the past, it does count as a new day.

That said, I never plan on time traveling, and think the slow drip of new stuff is the life of the game. The reviews I've seen that were frustrated seemed to be frustrated that you don't get to play with certain new toys until a week or two in. Other reviews have said there's still stuff to do early on if you want to grind- you can apparently always catch bugs and fish to grind out bells if nothing else- so while I want to play the poo poo out of this game I'm not worried about running out of stuff.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

enojy posted:

Oh! Cool "not really timetraveling" tip from IGN for people who don't like the sound of the forced(?) week-or-so without some crucial tools -- simply set your Switch's date back a week at launch, do all you care to do in each in-game day, then fast forward a day until you reach the accurate date.

Complete your daily goals and talk to Tom Nook.
Save your game.
Enter the Switch System Settings menu and scroll down to System.
Choose Date and Time and turn Synchronize via Internet to OFF.
Click on Date and Time and set your clock to the following day.
Select Animal Crossing: New Horizons from the menu screen and hit X to close it.
Restart the game and you should be playing on your new day.
As someone tempted by something like this, I personally concluded that it's not gonna be worth it for a couple reasons.

First the "crucial tools" are not crucial. They're things that expand the game. Not having a pole and a ladder for a few days limits you to a flat quarter of your island, and I'd rather explore everything at once, but it's not like I can't play the game on that one portion of the island. Unlike New Leaf, you're guaranteed to get the net and fishing rod immediately. Those are the crucial tools.

Second, one complaint that really struck me was someone who said the camping aspect of the game was far too brief. I'll be playing this game as "fully featured" Animal Crossing for years, but I'll only have a few days to stare at the distant cliffs and wonder what I might find there. Skipping past that feels like it's missing on the full spectrum of experiences this game has to offer. You'll always be able to build stuff and mess with your island, but you'll never be able to make it feel new or unknown again.

Not everyone would get a lot out of that feeling, and there are people who would enjoy the game more by just getting to the "good stuff" as soon as possible, so by all means time travel away if you'll have more fun that way.

But it's worth considering why that delay is in the game and if it has something to add, even for the obsessive player.

Edit:

Dazerbeams posted:

Theoretically, couldn't you also just go forward in time until you get your tools then reset back to your current date?
In the past traveling backwards in time has caused more issues than traveling forward. There's never been any penalty to traveling forward- the game can't tell the difference between artificial and natural passage of time.

We don't know if there are any issues with going back in New Horizons, but if I were to time travel past the tutorial, I'd want to do it "legit" by only going forward, which you can do easily by setting the time back before you start.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 17, 2020

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

Honestly, I don't think there's really anything "new" or "unknown" about the locked off portions of your island. You see the full mini map before you ever land on the beach, and it's not like you're going to find anything more than the same trees you have on the rest of the island. The only thing that's really being locked off is your ability to place your tent up high above the masses.
It's a matter of the experience. I've been staring at these maps for weeks and watching videos of people walking around them. I'm sure I'll be able to imagine what the island looks like quite well from the minimap.

But I won't be able to go there.

I'll be spending a few days just puttering around on the plains between the rivers, doing what I can, getting to know the curves of the river and everything. And then one day Nook's gonna say it's time to check out the rest of the island and it's going to give another little dopamine burst as I see these things for the first time. If I was just running around all over the whole island from the start I wouldn't feel one part was familiar home territory and another part was "new".

If that experience sounds like complete :geno: to you, that's fair. But it's an experience you won't be able to go back and revisit if you skip past it to get to other stuff.

Mizuti posted:

Do we know if the island adds the word "Island" or "Isle" or something to your chosen name? 10 characters isn't a lot.
You will not. That's Japan only. A reviewer was mentioning they were counting on an "island" suffix and they were sad their name sounded lame because they never got that option.

So plan your island name to stand alone without the word "island" automatically following it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm sure this has already been answered but can you change your face in this one too or is it just hair like New Leaf and before? I need to know if I'm going to spend hours agonizing over my character look Thursday evening.
Yep! Any time you look in a mirror you can change anything- hair, eyes, nose, mouth- even "style" (gender).