Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cats
May 11, 2009
I've never bought a "special edition" of a console that I already own, but I pre ordered the Animal Crossing switch as soon as it was announced.

I do wish we knew more about how shops are going to work. I like crafting, but I also like how easy it was to make obscene amounts of money by catching rare bugs, stopping by the shops every day to see what's new, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cats
May 11, 2009
Of course I have a random meeting that's barely worth attending tomorrow, at the same time as the Direct.

cats
May 11, 2009

Jade Mage posted:

That implies you are playing docked, and the very thought unnerves me. Animal Crossing: Wild World was where I sunk my teeth into the franchise, and so the thought of non-portable Animal Crossing is just crazy talk. I did play the GCN, City Folk, and New Leaf, but Wild World was the one I played the longest

See, my first AC game was New Leaf so I've only ever known portable. So I'm really looking forward to playing on the TV. In fact I can't remember the last time I played any game undocked for more than a few minutes.

cats
May 11, 2009
I'm holding off on pre-ordering the game until my limited edition Switch is here. Definitely buying digital, and I've never done a system transfer before, so I'll just buy it on the new console. I know that probably sounds silly, I'm sure the pre-load will carry over just like all the other games, but my brain is just being weird about it. Also I remember when Luigi's Mansion 3 was available for preload like a month before it released, and having to look longingly at the game icon that whole time was torture.

cats
May 11, 2009
How sweet would it be if we could have a raft in the game and just zip down the river to get from A to B?

cats
May 11, 2009
Someone needs to make Eventide Island.

cats
May 11, 2009

Khanstant posted:

aren't you someone?

The best I could hope for with my design "skills" is Floating Mound of Trash Island which is a little too long of a name.

cats
May 11, 2009
I'm here for my initiation into the Raccoon Goons.

cats
May 11, 2009
I had peaches in my ACNL town, wouldn't mind getting them again but it'd be fun to have something different. I think pears or cherries would be my first pick, then oranges, then apples. But I probably won't bother resetting... unless I get apples.

cats
May 11, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Racc is a way better way to say Raccoon.

Racc

Racc city bitch

cats
May 11, 2009
Absolutely going digital here. Instant island access, anytime, anywhere. Plus the Switch cartridge flap thingy is so drat fiddly.

I'm still waiting to preload until after I get the AC Switch and get it all set up. Kind of impressed with myself for exercising the smallest modicum of delayed gratification.

cats
May 11, 2009

do it do it do it you know you want it.

Although... it seems awfully loose in the dock. The connection itself seems okay but I can wiggle the switch back and forth quite a bit. Put it in my old dock (bought ~2 months after launch) and it fit much better, haven't tried it the other way around yet.

cats
May 11, 2009
I'm cool with whatever villagers I get.

But Chops better not show his smug ugly face in my town again.

cats
May 11, 2009

shortspecialbus posted:

Oh I have a new question, are the starting villagers fixed at all? Because otherwise I may just repeatedly restart until I get Bob.

Supposedly everyone gets a Jock and an Uchi villager, so it's fixed to that pool.

cats
May 11, 2009
Didn't stay up last night b/c I was getting too anxious, but I'm up bright and early today. Got this sweet layout with my own private island:

My villagers are Mac and Plucky, but my fruit is apples... really don't want to reset, I love the layout and I'm not creative enough with terraforming to make my own island.

Edit: ohh shoot, I can't get the pole until tomorrow? Hmm. Well, I guess I'll just roll with it for now.

cats fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 20, 2020

cats
May 11, 2009

Diephoon posted:

How soon can you cross rivers? I picked an island with a smaller island in the middle and right now I can only access about 40% of the island at large :nyoron:

e: lol same

What I'm reading is you need to unlock the net/fishing rod recipes and catch 5 fish/bugs. Then you pick a spot for the museum, and on the next day Blathers appears. He will give you the recipe for the vaulting pole. It costs another 30,000 bells to move your tent.

I've never time traveled before but I really want to get the setup done...

cats
May 11, 2009
I love that goldfish get their own special bowls, so pretty.

Still debating skipping one day forward, then going back. I really want to unlock the museum/vaulting pole so I can move my house to the island in the middle of my map. I'm almost worried I'll burn out more quickly farming the same few butterflies/fish over and over on this first day.

cats
May 11, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, isn't the recipe for a messy stack of papers a stack of papers? And vice versa?

How the hell does that work?

Pretty sure I've seen the document stack for sale at Nook's.

cats
May 11, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just remembered that I didn't play the entire month of November last year, so now is my chance to finally get Mushrooms. What are the dates that they appear? Is it only like one or two weeks this month?

Oh man I really, really hope that convenience market furniture makes a reappearance on the big new 2.0 update.

Lucky you, mushrooms grow all month long. You get 5 each day up to a max of 30 growing at one time if you don't pick them but they'll stop spawning at 30. They grow next to both hardwood and cedar so make sure you have some room. Oh and the Rare Mushroom grows underground and appears as a crack.

cats
May 11, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What do you do to make money? I don’t wanna sell turnips all the time and I have enough money for now, but I’d like to make money more organically.

Hoard piles of sturgeon all over my half finished island (preventing me from finishing said island) until CJ shows up.

cats
May 11, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

e: oh yeah, also ordinances, but those are maybe less useful because flowers no longer wilt and die??

I would have loved to get almost the opposite of the Beautiful Town ordinance, one that stops your flowers from spreading after the rain (only spread after being watered from a can).

cats
May 11, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

wish i read this before i took a trip to look for gyroids
Kapp'n only takes one trip per day

Lmao same here but I did find a gyroid fragment on an otherwise unremarkable island. Planted and watered, we'll see what happens!

cats
May 11, 2009
So how do you get the other vegetables - tomatoes, wheat, etc? From Leif I'm assuming? Or maybe they'll be in the Nook store tomorrow?

Started off Harv's Island with Reese and Cyrus, then Redd, then... Katrina maybe?

Still have two houses to move off the beach and a bunch of inclines and bridges to build. I have 40 mil bells and 1 mil miles gathering dust, but I'm trying to pace myself and not blow through all the new stuff at once. I'm sure HHP will keep me plenty occupied once that drops.

cats
May 11, 2009

Zuzie posted:

you can finally store DIYs in your storage

GOTY

cats
May 11, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I got the idea for a king tut mask when I picked up a gold nugget, is that new?

Nope, that was added sometime last year.

I got the Acorn Rug DIY from a balloon tonight, pretty sure that's new.

cats
May 11, 2009
Moving buildings now costs 10k bells instead of 50k.

cats
May 11, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Cyrus can customize stuff WITHOUT MATERIALS! You don’t have to hoard pumpkins or feathers now!

Just lol if you don't think I'll fill every new spot in my expanded storage with pumpkins and shells and other easily renewable resources.

cats
May 11, 2009
I'm not seeing the new 4th "expensive" item in my Nook Shopping - the one where people are getting cars, yachts, etc. Anyone else having this problem?

cats
May 11, 2009

a7m2 posted:

Check your phone too. I got the car by ordering from the daily nook store phone order selection.

Nothing there either. Sounds like it's not an every day thing, hopefully I get something soon. No big deal, I've been burning through my savings with the storage expansions and the additional inclines/bridges.

cats fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 5, 2021

cats
May 11, 2009

fit em all up in there posted:

If you mean get rid of, when I was redoing my island I just time crimed and moved the campsite to get rid of them. Costs alot but I had money to burn

Good news - moving buildings only costs 10k now!

cats
May 11, 2009

flatluigi posted:

has anyone gotten an island in the opposing hemisphere yet? does kappn say anything special to point it out to you?

I got a spring island tonight, with cherry blossoms you could catch and a cherry blossom DIY bottle. I didn't notice anything unusual on the way there but on the way back there were still cherry blossoms floating in the air. Maybe they were there at the start too and I just wasn't paying attention.

cats
May 11, 2009

Tom Nook is a benevolent tyrant.

cats
May 11, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo.... So the llamas/alpacas (the ones at Harv's) who customize stuff... They allow you to get alternates of Nook Mile items, like the lighthouse! Usually, you'd have to find someone with the colour you want and trade with them, and even though you touched a variant, couldn't order from the catalog. That's still the case (the catalog limitation), but now if you only have a black and white lighthouse and want the pastel one, you can have them change the colour.

Amazing.

They'll customize pretty much any furniture/decor items, I loving love it. Definitely one of the top 3 QOL improvement in the update, I'm crossing stuff off my wishlist left and right.

cats
May 11, 2009
Apparently good luck with Belongings renders your tools unbreakable for the day. I've been digging up clams for bait like crazy, and moving flowers around, and my shovel has been going strong all day.

Bad luck with belongings makes your tools break more frequently, I believe.

Is luck set for the day regardless of whether you talk to Katrina or not, and she just spells it out for you? Or do the effects only kick in after talking to her? I assume it's the former but figured I'd ask.

cats
May 11, 2009

Zutaten posted:

The effects only kick in after you talk to her as far as I can tell. You're not just going to have a random day where your tools don't break I think. It's enough to convince me that she's my first stop of the day, at least.

OK yeah that makes sense. I was just wondering cause the other day it seemed like my tools were breaking like crazy but I was pretty sure I hadn't spoken to Katrina yet. I probably did, and just forgot.

And same, I now make a beeline for her first thing in the morning.

cats
May 11, 2009
Anyone have some sugar cane they can spare? I wish Leif would at least rotate one item weekly, it's the last thing I need for my farm.

cats
May 11, 2009

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

i think i have 10 in my storage, how much you need?

Just one is fine to get me started, thank you! Let me know if you want me to come get it or you come and drop it off. Anything I can get for you in return?

cats
May 11, 2009

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

i can come drop it off! if you have a maid costume or a white pumpkin, that'd be nice, but if not, i'd be glad to just give you one for nothin

White pumpkins and a black maid dress are waiting for you in front of the airport! I also have the dress in brown if you want?

Dodo code is CLOSED. Feel free to shop or whatnot if you want, I might be afk. Thanks again!

cats fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 26, 2021

cats
May 11, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

Though if you're trying to up your rank for higher payouts, you need to spend 20 minutes (being idle doesn't count) decorating so the villager will give you a wallpaper/floor. Well, at least until you've gotten 45 gifts then you can stop unless you really want to gamble on them giving you the correct item.

20 minutes must be longer than I thought, it feels like I spend forever on each house since I'm actually terrible at decorating/super indecisive, but I haven't gotten a single gift yet. Might have to set a timer today, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cats
May 11, 2009

Nessa posted:

You have to talk them on the beach after for them to give you the wallpaper, flooring or rug.

Welp. Good to know!