Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Sand Souci Is now open for tourists.

Not a lot that's super exciting though, but if you're a savvy shopper we have the Green-background version of the Elaborate Kimono Stand and unlimited document stacks at the Nooks. We have Kimonos and other fun stuff at the Ables. Come and shop to your hearts content!

Dodo code is MYPNH I'm AFK but feel free to leave a board drawing, and explore the theme park, the flower garden, and the haunted house at the top of the hill
Thanks! I shook a couple trees, hope that's ok. I don't really know the etiquette for island visits.

In the highly unlikely event someone wants Plucky, let me know, she's in boxes on my island. Post here or PM.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

track day bro! posted:

God damnit I bouught Cranston back with an amiibo because he was one of my initial 5, he stayed long enough for his birthday and now he asked to leave again. So does anyone want Cranston..........again
Do they not always stay if you ask them to? I've never had one not.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Eiba posted:

The difference is the personality types. Smug villagers are kind of aggressive and forceful. Lazy villagers just live in another world.
The only lazy one I've had so far is Doc, and I absolutely love him. Completely insane.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I've got Colton in boxes today. He is an awful smug horse who wears a cape and I hate him. But maybe you love him? Let me know. Island is closed for now, but I can reopen if someone wants him.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 8, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Holy God, that was my first time on a busy island (lots of folks coming and going).

This game is sort of horribly designed for online play, huh??

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Black Robe posted:

Fun with terraforming today. The area around my plaza and the paths around the villager houses are pretty much done now (or will be when I stop procrastinating and move the last flowers out of the way to finish paving an area). It's now possible to actually walk along the back of the island all the way around. And there's a little alleyway to Redd's beach from the scummy trash/weed-filled hollow where my alt's shack is half hidden. I'm getting there.

How often do you get campsite villagers, incidentally? Since the mandatory first smug visitor (Klaus) I've only had one random drop by. I do have all ten villagers.
It's sort of random, but basically 3 days after the campsite has emptied, you get an increasing chance of a camper every day (5 percent the third day, 10 percent the next, topping out at a 20 percent chance every day).

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Do hybrid flowers (yellow hybrid mums for example) show up in your inventory as hybrids, or are they just labelled as yellow mums?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 15, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Are pumpkins gonna keep growing after Halloween, or is there a pumpkin season?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

For whatever reason, it's very difficult googling specific flower breeding questions. Every single Google search just brings up the same handful of general flower breeding articles. That being said, if I place 2 flowers next to each other, is there any guarantee that a resulting new flower is definitely crossbred, and not just a clone of one of them? Will they always breed instead of cloning when placed together? Essentially I'm trying to come up with ways of differentiating hybrid flowers from identical looking standard ones.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

As long as we're talking recipes, if anyone has the ironwood dresser, I'd water the poo poo out of some flowers for it. Or bring a strange amount of pumpkins to your island. I need it for two other recipes, and it's driving me crazy. Months. Months.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Metaline posted:

I don't have it atm, but I can make you as many as you want to tide you over!

interpunct posted:

If you still need the recipe, I probably have a copy of it in the big pile of DIYs cluttering up my island.

Bless both your hearts. If either of you has time to open up tonight, I'd really appreciate it. (Or if you can mail stuff to other players? I'm bad at animal crossing, I don't know these things). Let me know what's easiest and if there's anything I can do to thank you. I've got PMs as well if you'd rather pm a dodo code or something.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

ee: Molly is in boxes today! I love her, but I have two Normals and needed a Cranky.
Can confirm for anyone on the fence that Molly is fantastic.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

So I just counted and I've got almost 800 pumpkins in storage. Does uh, anyone need pumpkins?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

We may have planted 50 some. I just love Halloween so drat much.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is there any way to get an incline placed where Red docks or are those rocks between the sand and the cliff pretty much make it impossible?
If you can terraform already, yes. If not, you'll have to wait.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is Snake that valuable? We have Hamlet as our jock and he’s one of our originals and we love him. Also, Blanche will be in boxes tomorrow.
Blanche is one of my favs, quite so.

Anyone have experience using an amiibo to bring in a new villager? Is it true I get to choose who to kick out? Got Julia's card coming in the mail because my girlfriend loves peacocks, and I'd be thrilled to finally get rid of Buck. He's an original villager, and we hate him, and he won't ever leave.

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 25, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Chronojam posted:

I've got meteors going so I've opened up, check the code thread for details. Haven't seen Celeste yet, though :iiam:
Typing in game is torture for me, so I just wanted to thank you for opening up and looking for that fossil for me! I'm gonna be swimming in star fragments tomorrow.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Finally, my sweet lazy boi Doc is in boxes. He was my first NMT villager. Please give him a new home with snacks!
If I could have a second Doc on my island, I would. If I could have an entire island of Docs, like some sort of Animal Crossing version of Multiplicity, God knows I would.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Silver Falcon posted:

The language used is nice and simple and I find it pretty easy to get what's going on from context.
I used to work with a recently immigrated serbian guy who watched a lot of Scooby Doo to learn english. I wish I could tell you he said zoinks a lot, but he did end up using "creepy" when he meant more like, odd or unusual, which I attribute to Scooby Doo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Chronojam posted:

By the way, was it a Deinony Tail? I've found one today if that's the case and you're still looking
I just checked my museum and it's the deinonychus head that I'm missing. Which... I think you had, and I thought at the time I was missing the tail.... Whoops.

Also, seriously, bless your heart for even remembering the species that some random goon was looking for. This thread is the best, and legitimately makes the game more enjoyable for me.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Burnt Poffin posted:

Annabelle wanted to be my apprentice, too, but since Bunny stayed inside, so I'm not sure if all peppy villagers have the same response. :)
Dotty, my peppy bunny also wanted an apprenticeship.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Willsun posted:

My advice to anyone bug or fish hunting is to do it on Nook Mile Ticket islands. The island is small compared to your actual island, and you can chop down/dig up all flora to prevent bug spawns if you're focusing on fish, or at least it's easy to run around and scare away all the fish if you're looking for bugs.

This should be all the types of islands you can run into. Best one for your case is obviously "Big fish island" but "Falls island" is probably the best common island you can get with the most upper-level water since that's where golden trouts spawn. Some of the normal islands with a little patch of upper level water is fine too if you don't have tickets to spare. Just chop down all the trees, dig up the stumps, and pick all the flowers to minimize bug spawns.

All those summer bugs that only spawned on coconut trees really annoyed me until I went to NMT islands instead and I got them all in one go.
Wait, bug spawns affect fish spawns and vice versa?

Also, is that image implying that gold nuggets can only be found on scorpion island?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Willsun posted:

I can't 100% confirm but I'm operating under the idea that the maximum amount of critters that can spawn at the same time on the island share the same limit, so I'm driving away bugs if I want fish to keep reappearing.

Also no idea on scorpion island because I've never hit one before. My guess based on the layout is that their gimmick was meant so there's a gold-spawning rock in the middle of the water but it's guarded by a bunch of scorpions.
Ahh. I always figured they were separate limits, but no actual clue. For what it's worth, my one visit to scorpion island actually had no water that I can remember. Big open area with triangular cliffs at each corner.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

We moved across the country recently, and my girlfriend left behind a 9 year old niece she's very fond of. They got to spend time tonight on each other's islands, and we gave her a bunch of stuff she was excited to see on our island. It was raining on her island, and she insisted on giving my girlfriend an umbrella. In short, this game is great.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

PotU posted:

got a big rear end meteor shower with celeste lurking about. would very much appreciate blue roses, gonna afk mostly

code 5R4SS
Thanks for opening up, I love your island!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Reiley posted:

Here's a weird question: I let Tammi move out and she moved into the void, since I didn't find her a home. When I went on my Nook Island hunt for a new villager I found Tammi again, so she moved back into her same plot but in her real house instead of the DIY one. Is Tammi still in the void? If someone else picks up Tammi from me, will the Tammi with all the memories of living on my island move into their island, while I simultaneously have a Tammi of my own with new memories since her moment of return? How does that work? What is happening in my game?
I don't know the answer, but only because Philip K Dick died before Animal Crossing came out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

hambeef posted:

is selling turnips still a thing? i got 419 here if anyones happy with selling for 1 away from the funny number https://turnip.exchange/island/99cb53ad
I know the price will be different later, but are you gonna be around this evening by any chance? I'm on a lovely fluctuating pattern this week, so I'm probably gonna eat poo poo on turnips.

Anything I can bring or do as thanks?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Pfft, my list is two. Lucky (for me) and Flora (for the girlfriend). Lobo just moved out. We don't have enough NMTs or patience for this to happen. Probably gonna mystery tour until we find someone else who's acceptable and then finally just snap and buy a couple amiibos down the line.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Okay, we’re beyond confused. We have two Red, a Blue, and a Neutral corners of a ring. What do we need to do to get it together? Thanks in advance.
Apologies if I'm not understanding your question, but you just place them all next to each other, oriented in their appropriate positions. Colors don't really matter, they're all the same size, so whatever looks best to you.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Today I learned that villagers can move into an empty lot on your island without you ever meeting them. That's... Frustrating. We were planning on doing some mystery islands today, and instead we've got Alice moving in.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

That’s exactly what happened to us. We let Blanche move out, and then while we were searching loving Marcel moved in.
Well your big mistake was letting Blanche leave. Also, holy poo poo, I've never heard of Marcel before now. He's.... Something, alright. But I think maybe I kind of like him?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think I'm experiencing my first case of Moveout Remorse! Alice asked to go for the second time so I said "okay" because including her I have three Normals and I want to move Ankha in, but now I'm sad. Alice was one of my favorites and she definitely had the cutest wardrobe and the best house. :smith:

So, anyways, she'll be in boxes tomorrow. Please come and get her when she's packing up!
So, not sure what adventures she's been up to the last couple months, but.....

We will take good care of her.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

uhhh if she compliments your tits, that's a traditional Sharkfarts greeting, just FYI.
I'd expect nothing less. Lemme know if you ever wanna come visit her!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Reiley posted:

It is a bit more reasonable if you are still dressed as a halloween monster
I'm always still dressed as a Halloween monster in my heart.

And also in Animal Crossing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

First of May posted:

There should be a way to use items to "have an idea" about new DIYs that use that item.
It's the first time I've really been annoyed by this game. I don't mind grinding for stuff - Rare fish? Sure, I'll go fishing 100 times, because at least it's an activity. But having to sit and wait for balloons for hours of my day? So frustrating. I have no intention of trying to collect all of them, but there are a couple really cool ones that I'd love to get, and probably won't.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

I'm considering balloon farming tomorrow with some jail bars. Balloons will be spawning on the side of my island with a river mouth though. How do you account for that? Just accept there will be two possible spots for balloons to get routed to?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

runchild posted:

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying that placing jail bars forces balloons into areas where they aren’t? I can’t find any info about this online.

You can fill in the river pretty close the river mouth. I did that today to make my beach patrol easier and to prevent unfortunate splooshes.
Yeah, you make a wall of jail bars (or climbing walls), and any balloon that hits it travels southward until it finds a hole in the wall and continues it's travel east/west. The goal is, you can stand in one spot and just listen for balloon sounds while you do other stuff. But it loses its value if I potentially need to be monitoring the river and another spot further south.

Filling in the river temporarily isn't a bad idea, but then I have to offset the wall south of the river enough that it'll probably interfere with stuff on the island. Boo...

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 19, 2020

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Super Foul Egg posted:

There are percentages on percentages quietly pushing things the way they're supposed to go. For example the base rate of DIYs from balloons took a dive in one of the patches this year, but in return the chance that what drops is something you don't have yet is greatly increased. Seems like they're going for the feel of good fortune without removing the phone game tier grind to access it.
I have gotten probably 12 balloons this morning, 2 were pro recorders and 2 were sewing sets :(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

runchild posted:

The jail bars are a bit helpful but with a 5 minute interval timer they’re not really necessary. The balloons hit my shore right at x:x0 and x:x5 so I just ran up and down the shore when it went off. The bars only helped when I missed an interval, cause I only needed to check one horizontal slice of the island for it.

Also, I had much better chances of balloon spawns when I went inside a building between each one. Some people say it doesn’t make a difference, but my spreadsheet shows a 66% positivity rate vs just 45% without it. I’m not saying it’s impossible that it would even out with more data, but 10 hours seems like a decent sample size (3 hours without it, 7 hours with it).
The real advantage to balloon jail is if you're in a situation where you can just park yourself in one spot and do other stuff, and just listen for the balloon wind noise. Otherwise I agree, if you're actively playing, just run up and down the beach.

Also, I think I agree with you in regards to going into buildings. I haven't tracked it, so could be confirmation bias in my experience, but I swear I get more balloons when I do it. Not a drastic difference, but I swear it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Necronomicon posted:

This will be a strange post, and possibly against the spirit of the game, but I was hoping y'all could help out a bit.

What is the best, most theatrical way to boot another human player off of your island? About a month ago I escaped an abusive marriage, and while I picked up ACNH as the pandemic started and I was dealing with an awful layoff, eventually my wife began playing the game and slowly completely took over my island. She suddenly started surveiling me while I played, and I wasn't "allowed" to make changes to the island or villagers without her express written permission, or whatever. Thanks to her, the game became yet another part of my life that was painful and difficult, and I lost the desire to play it, despite it being such a healing salve to me when it first came out. I would love to be able to enjoy it again, but honestly I might be better off just creating a new island entirely.

I haven't played the game since I left my old apartment a month ago, but getting her off of my island (and my Switch) feels like an important symbolic step in my own healing process. I'm in a new apartment now, and my divorce is in progress, but I had plans to have all the friends who've been supporting me through this process join me on a zoom call as I boot my ex off of my island and pop a bottle of champagne. So...have any of y'all done this? Are there multiple methods? Appreciate any help in advance!
For what it's worth, the best way to move on from negativity is positivity. Delete her account, then come hang out in the discord. Everyone there is friendly and positive and helpful.