Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MacheteZombie posted:

While my kiddo still has meltdowns at times (mostly when hungry or sleepy) she's doing great for what I expected at 3.

During her birthday party at the start of the month her friend was melting down because she didn't want to leave so my kiddo went up to her, put an arm around her and said "it's okay to be upset but sometimes we have to leave" and I wanted to cry lol just the sweetest thing ever

drat that is amazing :kimchi:

I'm kinda looking forward to the toddler years (my son is 6mo) but my wife is dreading it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

pushpins posted:

My kid swallowed a coin and I am upset by this

Sounds like a perfect time to watch House S07E05, "Unplanned Parenthood". Might give you some ideas.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Buddy I don't even wear pants at home

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ikanreed posted:

Somehow reminds me there was a kid who bullied me in kindergarten and he got run over by an 18 wheeler halfway through the school year.

Did you have a similar reaction?

Toddlers are terrible with the concept of death

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Elissimpark posted:

Our youngest was like that. Somehow the exact same rocking and jiggling motions DRAMATICALLY ENDED THE UNIVERSE AND NOW I'M UPSET as I went from standing to sitting.

Oh my god I get this too. I try my very best to make sure he can't possibly notice that my legs are bent but somehow he just knows and hates it. Let me sit down you absolute fucker.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Any advice at all is loving appreciated,

I'm gonna take this at face value and tell you that we recently discovered the wonders of a CBD gummy when parenting is getting stressful (we have a 9mo son, for reference). The stress just melts away and it allows us to approach problems in a more analytical manner.

We're not at "unruly child" stage yet so can't give you any more advice than that from personal experience, but what we have been doing is watching episodes of supernanny on youtube, which often involves parents in your situation. Might be some pointers in there? (big time investment i know)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh actually i do have something more useful to add, having read a couple books (again, no personal experience... yet)

Cabbages and Kings posted:

As her sister has gotten bigger, more mobile, and of course more destructive, we've seen a lot of changes in the older kid. Some might be jealousy, also,

It is almost certainly this. I doubt any kind of peer influence is playing a part, if behaviour outside the home is fine.

She might restrain herself when interacting with her sister but she's probably specifically mad at you both for paying attention to her sister. Maybe she can't find the language to express it, or perhaps isn't even sure why she's feeling the way she's feeling and needs to be told ("we're playing with your sister instead of you all the time and you're angry about that")

A book i read covered this kind of thing, I'll see if i can find it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Dear baby: Just because it's a perfect fit doesn't mean your entire finger has to go up my nose

Also stop pinching my nipple it doesn't have any milk

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Does anyone have any recommendations for incredibly simple android app games. I'm talking "poke the giant green triangle" simple.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Elissimpark posted:

Our 4yo is named after a space probe, so I try not to be judge-y about people giving kids weird names.

How is little Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter doing these days anyway?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm surprised the 5 pints didn't keep her asleep for longer.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Get mice

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Get mice

They'll use the hair to line their nest

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
BBC has an article about when kids should get a phone:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220914-whats-the-right-age-to-get-a-smartphone

quote:

There are still many unanswered questions on the long-term effects of smartphones and social media on children and teenagers, but existing research provides some evidence on their main risks and benefits.

In particular, while there is no overarching evidence showing that owning a phone or using social media is harmful to children's wellbeing in general, that may not tell the full story. Most research so far focuses on adolescents rather than younger age groups – and emerging evidence shows there may be specific developmental phases where children are more at risk from negative effects.

What's more, experts agree on several key factors to consider when deciding if your child is ready for a smartphone – and what you should do once they own one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kitfox88 posted:

Unboxing vids/influencer poo poo/grindset mentality/etc poo poo are loving nightmares and basically raising a child today is a hellish endeavor steeped in nightmares.

[C-SPAM Parents] a hellish endeavor steeped in nightmares

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Another Bill posted:

One of my kids had diarrhea so bad I have to go buy a new toilet seat :barf:

Now my experience is limited but aren't toilet seats usually wipe-clean plastic? Just how powerful was this jet of diarrhea?

My 1yo had gastroenteritis last week and the diarrhea was so bad I had to wash clothes in the toilet bowl for fear of blocking up the sink or bath drains with chunky bumsludge. But thankfully have not had to replace any furniture or fittings.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
We weren't going to sleep train.

But after 10 months, when my wife went back to work, we were quickly driven insane by the constant sleep interruptions and sleep trained the little fucker.

Best thing we ever did

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My wife has gone back to work and her salary barely covers the nursery costs we'll be facing in 3 weeks time.

But here's the thing: her job is a FUCKTON easier than looking after a kid so it is absolutely 100% worth it oh my god

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
my son is one of the longest babies in the world

ONE HUNDREDTH PERCENTILE

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

lobster shirt posted:

my kid is now at the correct height that when i hold him, his feet are right at dick and balls level. he's kicked me so much the last few weeks just from squirming around lol, very unpleasant

Oh is that a thing? Good, I won't need a vasectomy to prevent another one then

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My 12 month old has started nursery! :dance:

*reads the last two pages*

no :negative:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Microplastics posted:

My 12 month old has started nursery! :dance:

*reads the last two pages*

no :negative:

It has been 3 weeks and he's only spent half that time in nursery and we've all caught the flu and he's had diarrhea and is still not back yet.

Just, just put me out of my misery. FINISH ME

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Insanite posted:

every kid in my family’s orbit is sick

my own kid has been dripping mucus and smoker’s coughing for the past month

it’s not even December yet lol

Huh this describes my kid exactly (I'm in London UK)

Kinda reassuring that it's not just him

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I learned about elf on the shelf earlier this year and from what I gather it's a manufactured tradition designed to make money and control children's behaviour which turned into a massive international brand

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

bitmap posted:

how much harder is having the second kid overall

Sorry for the late reply but I managed to dig up a goon's post that might help to answer this

bitmap posted:

having a second kid is hosed. its 100x harder. its a nightmare.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sonatinas posted:

she wants to have her daughter before the Sun explodes so I told her that’s no problem…

I hope she never has a conversation where she expresses a desire to have a kid and someone else goes "well time is running out!!"

She'll have a drat near heart attack

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

KirbyKhan posted:

Thank god the human brain just makes those post partum weeks real hazy to remember.

Maybe if it didn't people wouldn't be having second kids all the time :colbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
How does he know? How does he always know the exact moment my lunch is ready so he can wake up and ruin it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I didn't really bond those first few weeks, and I pretty much suspected I wouldn't and admitted as much to my wife. But when he started smiling and laughing, oh there it was, there was the feels :3:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm loving sick of being loving sick

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
God drat

Imagine all the video gaming you could think about doing but never have the time for

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Benagain posted:

Also my wife and I are making an effort to give each other more alone time, like "this saturday morning I've got the kid you go do whatever the hell you want" and trade off.

Yeah we need to do more of this

E: we as in "my wife and I" not "I'm Benagain's wife"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

sonatinas posted:

yeah I do t put anything out until like 2 days before because the temptation is too great.

You could put some decorative empty presents under the tree to make it look nice. Please note that I haven't thought this through.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Organic Lube User posted:

We have been sick since loving Halloween. First COVID, then RSV, now a stomach bug. We've been masking and sanitizing everywhere but we still keep getting sick. I'm so loving tired of it.

Omg tell me about it.

My kid started nursery in October and since then he's just been a pipeline of disease right into our house. At the moment we all have a relentless cough and last night I was treated to stereo coughing (wife on the left, toddler on the right) that kept all of us up all night. So now I'm criminally underslept and I was hoping to go on a date with a guy tonight and not be a total zombie.

A lot of people are saying this pick-and-mix of diseases, exacerbated by 2 years of prior lockdowns, will continue until Easter, which just happens to coincide exactly (like almost date to date) with the busiest time I've ever had at my office as we gear up for a massive project launch.

So that's just swell.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just gotta lay a little cloth on the penis when exposed, soaks it right up

This solution was adopted shortly after he pissed in his own mouth.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The most annoying thing he does at the moment is use his feet to hoist his bum up so the back of the nappy slides out from under him before I can fasten it

There have been times, moments of insanity, where I've been tempted to ziptie him to the drat table.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Enjoying this article today, might be a fun read for parents ITT with kids between 3 and 8

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20221124-should-you-tell-your-child-the-truth-about-santa

some choice excerpts

quote:

Fascinatingly, although the modern world feels like it has been stripped of so much of its magic, belief in Santa Claus has remained remarkably consistent. Back in 1978, a study published in the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry found that 85% of four-year-olds said they believed in Santa. More than a quarter of a century later, in 2011, research published in the Journal of Cognition and Development found that a very similar 83% of 5-year-olds claimed to be true believers. And that is despite Google Trends showing that the search term "is Santa real" spikes every December.

quote:

Amy's experience tallies with research published in Child Psychology and Human Development that found children generally discovered the truth about Santa on their own at the age of seven and reported "predominantly positive" reactions to discovering this. However, the study showed parents, on the other hand, fared less well, describing themselves as "predominantly sad" in reaction to their child's discovery.

And herein lies the major issue for both Johnson and Schiebe: It's not so much children but rather their parents who refuse to let go of Santa Claus.

quote:

It's always been the part of the Santa Claus myth that I have found the most uncomfortable. His presence as a sort of festive Big Brother, an all-seeing eye constantly judging your behaviour as either "naughty" or "nice". And recently this element of the mythos has gained a whole new lease of life, with Elf on the Shelf – described on its own website as "Santa's scout elf" – supposedly reporting behaviour back to Santa, and even fake CCTV "Santa cams" that parents can install to hammer home the message that you are never not being watched. In many ways it feels Santa has become a working model for Foucault's panopticism – a form of internalised surveillance and self-monitoring that no longer requires external enforcement.

quote:

There's another uncomfortable by-product of Santa making a list and checking it twice to find out who's been naughty or nice: it builds an idea that gifts are a measurement of their moral worth.

"We have so many ways that we perpetuate the idea that people get what they deserve," says Philip N Cohen, professor of sociology at the University of Maryland, College Park. "You're telling [children] that the presents they get are a function of the quality of their goodness, which just seems a harsh lesson in a world with so much inequality."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Sometimes I loving hate having a kid. It is life destroying. And I only have one! I dunno how you people with 2 (or more than 2 :stonklol: ) do it.

I am currently battling a chest infection he brought home from nursery. The fucker. It has floored me. And I can't rest and get better because he demands constant loving attention. I can't even get a nice restorative sleep because he wakes us up. Nursery is shut over the holidays so he's here, all the time, being a toddler. He's being a toddler! Why would he do this to us.

Kill me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Good grief does anyone in this thread have a good relationship with their dad? I should consider myself lucky. (not perfect - he did refuse to pay £20 to get the family dog out of the pound so that was the last I saw of that fluffy friend - but still pretty drat good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I find ear plugs to be useful. It doesn't stop the crying of course but it does stop the ears ringing in pain