Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I'm not super jazzed about Coronavirus as a severely immunocompromised person but on the plus side wearing a face mask means I can go outside either side of electrolysis days without getting clocked so swings and roundabouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
It has been (0) days since the cis were at it again

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Mebh posted:

I painted my guest toilet bright red and installed the best toilet paper holder ever made and am stupidly happy.

The defecation of Smaug

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Oh hey the local councillor sorted out my name thing with Labour membership and I got my voting thing through so that's cool I guess.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Vintage electromechanical components
Top quality meat bargains
Newspaper columnist prerequisite career
Last Week Tonight spinoff

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Compromise: build a brunnel

I'm pretty sure the government is just racking up future episodes of "well, there's your problem" at this point

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1236080482854539266?s=21

Speaking as someone who's had a small amount of experience in the publishing industry, that is a lot of people willing to publicly call out their employer under their own names.

Speaking as a trans woman it's ironic to see so many guardian journalists calling out a woman on her problematic organ and it not be an unhinged genitally obsessed opinion column rant.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

Also people washing their loving hands.

The amount of complaining about having to do that "now" is skeeving me out beyond all belief. I'm no germophobe but I'm wondering if I'll ever touch anything again

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Christ, goons

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Julio Cruz posted:

today I helped my sister and brother-in-law remove their deck and discover, to everyone's surprise, that there was another deck underneath

turns out the previous owner had, rather than remove the deck and redo it, just screwed a load of fence planks down onto it :psyduck: and I'm pretty sure he was a handyman or some sort of tradie so I hope he didn't bodge up other people's jobs like he bodged this one

and if any of you make a "looks like it was a double decker!!!" joke I will loving cut you

Some people do work like this honestly, other people just stack the decks in their favour.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

quote:

In our interview with Lisa Nandy she didn't hold back, not just her analysis of how Labour has drifted away from many communities it used to represent, but also on how both sides of the party went into what she describes as a "factional war", where it was "very very clear", that the leadership, not just MPs, unhappy about Mr Corbyn's leadership, wanted, she says, to have the fight until their opponents in the party were "crushed". .

Rule number one, I think, in being a good writer, is to include not only to pepper your sentences with needless punctuation, but also, using a bunch of needless subordinate clauses that, I'm sure you'll agree, not only make the prose halting and difficult to parse, and make the reader, confused about where it's all going, lose track, ultimately, of what the point even was in the first place, pad out the sentence to paragraph length.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

Pussy Riot definitely should have a platform.

Too extreme, theyd have to book their sensible centrist equivalent, Vagina Change.Org Petition.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I blame 90s boyband Blue.

All this talk of driving a low ride with the top down, hands high when the city's on lockdown. If they must make non essential travel they want to be keeping their hands in the vehicle at all times.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

MikeCrotch posted:

I hate recipes that are all "oh 1 tsp fish paste, 1/2 tin of coconut cream, 3 things lemongrass, half a bunch of coriander"

like most people don't have all this poo poo lying around and I don't want to open a tin of something just to use half of it. be sensible

Ehh, it's not so bad, those are all things you can get in shops. It's the "one stick of celery" thing that gets me, cos you can only buy celery in bunches and then you have a bunch of celery minus one stick in your fridge till it goes all soft and spooky and you have to throw it away. A friend of mine bought guinea pigs just to solve this problem.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Yeah I'm immunocompromised, violently allergic to most antibiotics and my lungs have felt like I've been inhaling chlorinated air for a couple of days, so something's down there. It's probably not Corona, but it's never far from my mind that this might be something my body can't fight off if I get it. My parents are in a dangerous age with pre-existing conditions and I wonder if I'll get to see them.

I feel like there was a time a couple of years ago I'd have thought about chickens coming home to roost for the bitter gammons but somehow it feels real to me now in a way it didn't before and lord knows I've shitposted in this very thread about Coronavirus because what the gently caress can any of us really *do*, but selfish self-preservation has started to kick in and make me just feel really sad about the whole thing.

It feels good to be right but not so good I'm happy about anyone who's wrong dying. Feels like I could've done a better job convincing them than hoping the tidal wave that hits me, hits them first.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

WhatEvil posted:

I've got tickets for Rage Against the Machine and Tame Impala in June. They're both going to be loving cancelled aren't they?

I dunno, Rage have always seemed pretty consistently right on.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The politics of the UKs Eton set is to disempower the poor while bunging money at business and hoping that lets them coast through on the back of capital. The more capital has become entrenched, the easier it is for them to coast and in the last decade or so the lack of any serious challenge to that because it's so loving dug in there has meant that chancers like Johnson can get by on winging it with very little actual expertise apart from what he needs to keep loving the rest of us.

(By challenge I don't mean opposition, I mean disruptive events outside their ability to control)

Brexit was one test of that, and they got through because it happen to align with their base, but we are in no way through it and it is unlikely they would survive the fallout from it unscathed once our isolation starts loving with the machinery of capital too badly. Corona is another, climate change yet another. Some of these things are of their own making, some less so. They have the one button to press and it's always worked for them in the past so they're cheerfully pushing it and they've applied it to problems that it not only can't fix but undermine the whole edifice on which they stand. They just don't realise it yet

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/latentexistence/status/1237382960938180608

The tories are getting very cavalier about the idea of their voting base dying on mass

That's some tin hearted, Malthusian, "decrease the surplus population" poo poo

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Loonytoad Quack posted:

There are some really worrying noises coming out of the government that they're going to let this run rife "to build herd immunity" rather than actually, you know, do anything.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1238038497052762113

Herd immunity is great, but the way to achieve that is via vaccinations, not by letting literally everyone catch it, 3-6% of people drop dead, and then hope the survivors build a good enough immunity to stop it the next time round.

Fingers crossed something more concrete comes out the COBRA meeting, but I'm not holding my breath (because I won't be able to since my lungs will be riddled with COVID-19).

"So you're saying if we let everyone who it was fatal to just die, then by definition whatever population is left is 100% immune?"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Octolady posted:

I keep seeing British medical officials saying they're "following the science" in the government response to coronavirus but what are they actually talking about here?

Well they're following it in the sense that the science is all pointing one way, and the UK are kind of loosely tagging along, but a long way behind

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"No I said I'm not taking the bus to town any more because it takes the *contagious*"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Shogi posted:

I suppose I might understand the UK’s reaction being smart from more than just an inhuman economic perspective if there seemed to be any kind of thought-through planning to protect the vulnerable? That prof on Newsnight gave reasonable epidemiological advice around slowing spread, so why is the advice and official backing on self-isolation still so poo poo? Why do we still have people going into dementia wards with a fever and a cough? Is the trust I work for just particularly ill-prepared or does this reflect a lack of topdown seriousness around protecting the people this thing tends to kill? I found myself having to do my own research to help people make calls over whether they should avoid working at the site (pregnancy, immunosuppressant meds etc)

That kind of thing is an absolute dereliction of responsibility from government, and makes me so angry. I phoned my parents yesterday, they're in their 80s and mum had a recent heart op so she's just terrified because everyone's either saying "panic" or "don't panic, it's only affecting the vulnerable" and nobody is saying "ok here are the extra steps you need to take if you're vulnerable". But she's not working with other people in a ward that's just absolutely crazy. I kind of expected they'd come out of their cobra huddle with targeted advice for front line staff but it's just been piss poor

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Bitcoin is tanking*. Watching the reaction to that has been quite fun.

*Seems to have a recovered but did hit a lol £2000 in value gone over the cliff edge early this morning.

Lol, even more imaginary than regular money. "But it's backed by math! MATH!"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

clear eyes full farts posted:

Guidelines are no ventilators for patients over 55, when it gets really bad that will drop to 40, grim

Where are you hearing that?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

XMNN posted:

Liverpool half marathon was also on today

"I'll be fine, I'm not touching anything"

*Clips through the floor like a busted Mario 64 romhack*

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I guess it's just sunk in for someone that they've just killed a few hundred thousand tory voters.

Edit:

Ms Adequate posted:

Coronavirus is coronavirus. You can't say it's only a half.

This was niche and I love it

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
A few days of shortness of breath has turned into a low fever and a cough so I think we're through the incubation of whatever this is and we're about to head into the fun bit. The others in the house have it about the same, none of us know where we got it but eh, such is life. We have some stocks, and it still might not be covid19, just some other flu thing but there you go, if it is it is.

Assuming it is, if you are thinking "well, I don't have *all* the symptoms" and it's not gonna bankrupt you to stay in, if you actually do have the choice to stay in, please do it for the sake of all the people that don't.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Temperature back under 39 today, yay. Another few weeks of this and then I just need to worry about if this was Corona or not (I have all the symptoms but who knows without a test) cos you know, I'd like to go out when I'm better but it'd be just my luck if I went out and it was like "no girl, THIS is Corona"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I see Jonathan Ross has outed himself as a transphobe on Twitter. I tell you, it's that generation of not-as-bright-as-they-think-they-are early gen-xers who spent most of the 90s being lary "ironically mysogynist" twats and all go to each others dinner parties and tut about people who've actually thought about poo poo.

Edit: 2 snipes in a row jesus. I'm too feverish to post a cat pic or number fact

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Yup. For context, he's been set off by Billy Bragg vocally supporting trans rights. I mean, names are nothing, but assuming Ross, surely knowing on some level that he's an idiot manchild, is sitting there thinking "huh well on the one hand there's people like Billy Bragg and Jon Ronson and on the other there's the guy who wrote some of Father Ted, yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and say he's the correct one in this scenario."

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 18, 2020

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Clement posted:

If this dry cough would gently caress off, that would be great. Anybody with suspected symptoms/the actual virus itself also have blocked sinuses and a blocked nose that just won't clear?

The one saving grace of this is that my nose has been clear as anything the whole time through. Could do without the everything else though

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Communist Thoughts posted:

The quality of information and advice would probably go up it all the journalists in the UK were fired at the moon

Don't even get me started on the moon

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Those stay in for 12 week emails started going out today I think. And look like this.

Lol that you can opt out

Would have been nice if they'd got that to me before I caught the loving thing.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get a straight answer out of anyone on whether there's anything I need to be doing now I've got it, or looking out for particularly. Like, the fact I still have shortness of breath. All the advice is on how not to get it, or running through the same drat checklist that says either "go to hospital" if your lips are turning blue or "isolate" if not. No information about complications for immunosuppressed people at all.

I mean, I get it, I didn't catch it and immediately die, so in that sense I should count my blessings and I do, but it just feels like every fucker is winging it completely.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Wasn't it a Mary Whitehouse Experience bit?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If they're actually getting these out then that's great, my sister and brother in law quite likely have it and they're at risk if their symptoms get worse, so if they can confirm that they've taken their hit and are on the mend then it would be great for peace of mind.

Same. Part of me's thinking there's no way what I had wasn't that but then I see how many people have tested negative for it elsewhere and a bit of me thinks there must be stuff out there that looks like Corona but isn't, so it'd be great to know.

Also, whether or not I'm a plague vector for other people or not, cos poo poo I don't want that on my conscience and I'll happily isolate a bit more if so

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I've lost track of whose had it and who hasn't. Can't there be a "gang tag" or whatever for survivors so I know who not to post next to?

"I survived COVID-19 and all I got was these lousy T-Cells"

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
gently caress it nows the perfect time to try and give myself a green ombre at home. Mermaid or swamp thing there is no in between

Also I'm worried for the future of the little mail order place that sells nice women's shoes in sizes 9-13 but I just don't have the money right now to buy summer wedges as if I'm ever gonna be able to wear them outside anyway. These are by no means the most important threads in this crisis but they are what I'm bothering myself with today.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you have a link? I take size 10 and getting a decent looking shoe at a reasonable price is almost impossible. I live in trainers and boots 99.99999% of the time and have every pair of shoes I've bought since I was 18 as they are so hard to find.
At school I used to have to wear mens' shoes so had the P taken out of me something chronic.
And then friends would pick up a pair of size 8 mens' shoes which might not look too bad, and say look these aren't too bad, and I say 'don't look at the size 8 look at the size 10'. Mens' shoes on the whole are cut so there's a ridge all round the edge making them look like ginormous boats but women's shoes sort of 'fold under' round the edge.

(And ps a 5ft tall woman in size 4 DMs might look cute. A 5ft 10 woman in size 10 DMs doesn't.)

Reasonable price is... eesh well it's the best I've found for now, I kinda have to take "exists" first. But sure cinderellashoes.com YMMV on style, there are some real clunkers but also some really nice ones, otherwise yeah it was DMs for me too

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
You know the Lemon Original Source? loving *lemon curd*!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Well I went to hospital yesterday. Not for Corona, just an out patient appointment for something, time critical and unable to be done by phone. I told them the dates I was ill and they were happy I was safe. I had to convince myself I was sure I'd had it and was probably immune. Scared the hell out of me.

It's a large city centre hospital I've been to many times before and I have never, even in the dead of night seen it like this. The place was locked down and practically deserted. Empty car park. Checkpoint at the entrance that was split into an in door and an out door, with security checking you were there for an important reason. Every member of staff masked. Waiting room chairs ripped out and spaced 2m apart. The polite "please use the have wash" station now a full on "you are not getting past here unless you use this" barrier. Taped up signs pointing to makeshift covid facilities.

And empty of people, and dead quiet. It felt like a loving urbex, it was so bizarre. The section I was in was being converted while I was in there for some covid related function. They're clearly prepared for a massive inrush of people. Spooked me the hell out, I tell ya. I'm going to stay in until June now, immune or no. And phone my parents every other day