Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Does anyone get really annoyed that if we didn't live under a brutal authoritarian dictatorship we could take control of our lives and make the best decisions for our health?
In my office we have already had a manager self isolate because he's sick with the "flu", we have two immuniocompromised people in work who are at really serious risk if they are infected and despite the fact we work in a biomedical industry our company's response is to put up a laminated piece of paper that says "work from home at your managers discretion".

The true nightmare timeline, anyone talking about self isolating in my team are immediately told we won't be paid sickleave (which I think is total bullshit they're just discouraging absences in our understaffed department). Like going into this office every day knowing we should be all working from home is so irritating, I loving hate this "business as usual" poo poo. This like the practice run for climate change and it's already a disaster.

Going to stock up on wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I live in a tory majority area and just noticed today people have panic bought everything but the value brand toilet paper. There are still stacks.

loving animals.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

This is so perfect I can't even believe this is true.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

sinky posted:

Here's a picture of our pandemic response today:

Don't worry they'll be enforcing self isolation for over 70's "within weeks".

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
All corporate compulsory"fun" events have been cancelled where I work for fear of disease transmission in an email that we all read from our crowded open plan office.

I'm simultaneously overjoyed and angry haha.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

I can't wait for this to be in a "World at War" style documentary about the 2020s.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Just got an email from our site boss, he wants to lock up all our facemasks and gloves so no one steals them but things will keep going(paraphrasing) "as normal to minimise the impact on the business".
He can work from home so that's good I guess.

Love having some political thoughts really crystalise over this pandemic :mmmhmm:

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Igotadigbick posted:

I'm down to two bottles of red, for me the crisis truly begins

I only have a bottle of ginger beer left, I've really hosed this rationing thing by being a greedy drunk.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

This has just given me a thought about how middle-age British women are often intensely reactionary, especially when it comes to being full-on TERFs.

Live, laugh, enforce the gender binary

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I've had a persistent cough, temperature and aches and pains so I told work I need to self isolate for a week.

The first question I got was, when are you getting tested for it?
ARE THEY JUST WILLINGLY IGNORANT??

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

a pipe smoking dog posted:

A lot of people are just assuming you will get tested for it because that is what would happen in a sane country with competent rulers. They continue to believe this until someone they know gets ill/dies and never gets tested.

When I phoned in a someone from work called me just to see if I'm okay and was like "Well I mean if you do have it you've given it to everyone already probably". Kind of makes me hope I don't actually have it and it's just an unrelated sickness tbh,

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

justcola posted:

Tell em to get to gently caress that you have an official note from the NHS by doing this quiz: https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/ (it spits out a certificate at the end that is emailed to you. If you live with someone else its 14 days)

I already got that note! It was actually a lifesaver!

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

justcola posted:

It takes the piss a bit that so many people are realising how loving poo poo and badly organised their places of work are. Heard from a bunch of people about their managers unable to give any guidance as they are waiting from the higher-ups, who in turn are waiting for government advice that is vague enough that everyone should be at work right now this minute no slacking (whilst most of senior management work from home themselves) - like they are willing to risk killing employees and their families for the sake of clutching onto some early 20th century idea of what work is.

Yea my place of work is continuing to operate as normal it's pretty much as you're describing. Our site boss does daily tours around the office to check "morale" and keeps circulating emails about stuff he learned about working together from his army days haha. We've had so many emails saying basically "to protect jobs we have to keep working as normal", like they definitely don't treat it seriously at all and it's so risky.

justcola posted:

Anyway, good luck with it! I found the symptoms got better then worse, my appetite totally went and I was either boiling hot or freezing cold. Lasted around 7 days for myself, but all the symptoms and everything seems unique for each person.
I've had a funny twinge in my back ever since and wondering if I've pinched a nerve through coughing - but also can't do anything about it.

Ah man that really sucks glad you're out of it! I Thanks a lot, just feel shattered and painful with an annoying cough so hopefully this is as bad as it gets! I'm not sure if it even is the rona but I just don't want to take any chances, there are people I work with who have vulnerable family members. The only issue I'm in my probationary period so I'm kind of worried if they start taking the piss, I just cba with it.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Jose posted:

I highly recommend tiger king on netflix for anyone needing a completely insane documentary to watch

I remember seeing him in the Louis Theroux doc and I thought he couldn't get any more mental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

this bird butt made my day, not to be weird about it or anything..