Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Woofer posted:

Investors love poo poo like the coronavirus. Just because the market is trending down (or has been) doesn’t mean people aren’t getting stupid loving rich. Just look at literally everything that’s ever happened. The US became the richest nation ever after a world war.

So getting rich off a crisis is probably one of the most patriotic things you can do.

the only people that can invest during an economic downturn are the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Jesus christ let this man go home and have a blankie and some warm milk and pet a good dogge already

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/s...ingawful.com%2F

there is a non zero chance that biden drops out by saying gently caress this and just walking off stage in the middle of a speech or debate

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Boomer college education was paid for by the government directly funding public universities and they're too loving stupid to realize that no it was paid for in taxes. The gap in prices between public and private universities has shrank because more and more there becomes little difference.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

white boomers magically became uninterested in progressive candidates as soon as they weren't directly threatened by the draft

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

part of me wants biden to become president so that he does veto m4a and we can just have this poo poo out internally.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

God dammit, I'm sorry but I'm getting loving sick of this line of argument, A) because he won't and B) because he wouldn't.

For gently caress's sake, Trump won in 2016 in large part because he was a cipher people could project himself on. Since he didn't have a record, everything was speculative, and out of all the insane things that came out of his mouth people could latch on to what they liked and ignore the rest as "rhetoric," i.e. "Well, he said he'd built lots of infrastructure, which I like, and I'm sure he didn't really mean he'd ban all muslims." And since he was running against a candidate that not a lot of people were super jazzed about and everybody thought would win, tons of people stayed home or voted third party—ultimately leading to an extremely narrow win that boiled down to less than 1.5% of the vote across three states.

Trump going into 2020 is an extremely weak candidate in many ways, and that's because he has a record. He's got four years of budgets proposing to cut social security and medicare and gut national parks. He's stolen money from the military to build his wall while nearly getting us into war with Iran. He's badly mishandled an ongoing pandemic and the stock market is more volatile than ever. Our highways and bridges are crumbling while corporations spend billions on stock buybacks funded by cut taxes, and the deficit has completely exploded. The previous Republican candidate for President voted to impeach him, and he only remains in office due to Republican senators too scared or corrupt to get rid of him. There are a billion things that he can be attacked on through the election into November, all things he actively did or had done under his watch, all of which can be easily contrasted to the relative stability and security of the Obama administration, of which Joe Biden was a centerpiece. Assuming that Trump is just going to waltz away with the election is loving stupid and ignores literally every goddamn thing that's happened in the past four years, let alone why he won in 2016.

Like,

Why would the GOP do this? Their entire raison d'etre is to make money for themselves and their donors, which M4A (Or even Biden's plan!) would very explicitly not do. And even if they decided to, you know, not be Republicans, there's still all the other loving awful disruptive poo poo they've done in the past four years!

Bernie Sanders is a good man and a good politician with good ideas who deserves a shot at the White House and to make America the country it needs to be. He is not a savior, and is not magically the only person who can beat Trump. Believing he is is a great way to leap down into some insane rabbit holes and end up despondent if he fails to secure the nomination, and ignores the very real challenges he'd face in the general.

the GOP wouldn't trump would. He has no ideology and beyond that doesn't care. If Biden wants to cut social security trump would say the opposite because he likes being contrarian to his enemies.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yeah I supported warren as well, largely because I think AOC's approach to take lead pipes to kneecaps from inside the dem party and primarying centrists is better than bernie's approach of not joining the dem party.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/poaststructural/status/1230716504414441474?s=20

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm not comparing warren, I'm saying that I wish Bernie would have been in the dem party the entire time and trying to primary centrists.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if only we were all related to biden we could have done coke and gotten kicked out with no repercussions lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CORVIDS CURE BOOMERS

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

rock or something

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I'm autistic, and I am loving tired of being made fun of. Stop it, and also gently caress off.

lmao you were in charge of an alliance in eve online

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

life pro tip: use the microwave to disinfect your phone, silverware etc

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I imagine we're in for a precipitous market drop if when the body count starts exploding that will make the recent sell-off look like a hiccup.

Bernie needs to talk about stimulus efforts now to get ahead of things and look prescient when things swan dive.

Hope I still have a job this time next year.

the housing bubble is gonna pop because the boomer home owners are gonna die

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the housing bubble didn't even really pop last time. Prices went down but the people in a position to buy them were buying them as investments not to live in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troubled_Asset_Relief_Program The government literally bought the toxic assets to soak up excess supply until the markets went back to normal.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe I should stop putting money in my TSP account.

I mean the economy is either going to recover or money is going to be useless

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

screenshot because its already deleted

this is the face of a boomer bloomberg reporter spreading lies lmao

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

give pelosi, feinstein, and schumer cabinet positions and then fire them day 1

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

how are y'all knuckleheads always so mad about the people who don't control two of the three chambers instead of mad at the people who do control two of the three chambers?

You sound like Fox news.

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1240022116797382656

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/1239575319989882880

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bloops posted:

Here’s what’s going to happen if we get federal handout money:

people will put it towards debt
People will put it in savings

people don't have jobs because of the coronavirus but you think people are gonna be investing it lmao

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1240312163195125765

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

reminder:

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/st...omplicated.html

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Y'all have caught on that Trump says a whole lot of things that never actually happen, right?

To send out that money he's got to get it through Congress. His memorandum on evictions and foreclosures is only for FHA single-family homes. So that doesn't help renters or the wild vast majority of people who have a home.

It's all window dressing.

yes we loving know that but it says a lot about dems that the republicans are giving lip service to programs (that they will never actually impliment) that are far to the left of the dipshit means tested tax credits that dems are offering

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

hunter biden if joe hadn't been there to bail him out every time he hosed up

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

someone make a love in the time of cholera joke

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

.22LR M1 Carbine

that's loving dope. Someone actually manufactured a m1 carbine in 5.56 that took stanags but it never caught on which is a shame.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

all of the candidates dropped out and endorsed the one candidate that didn't even try to give lip service to any sort of progressive policy.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Old Boot posted:

Hey friend, don't pretend to give a gently caress about anti-abortion anything when Bernie endorsed a forced birth Dem, himself. Reproductive rights aren't your cudgel to use when you're just as happy to set them aside for your chosen candidate.

EDIT: Or flat out annihilate them by failing to vote in the general. Thanks!

cite your sources

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I don't think you can embed the imgur videos only gifs

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the barrel twist rate doesn't matter because of a little thing I like to call nato which means they use the same grain of bullet

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Flikken posted:

M193 and M855 are two different grains of 5.56mm NATO.

yes and the brits use "Round, Ball, L2A2: 5.56×45mm FN SS109 equivalent produced by Radway Green"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, we had G36s, and MG3s and some old G3s, majority of the ammo we used was 5.56...

...oh wait, that's right, we didn't have money for ammo. :lol:

well you see after we got done kicking the poo poo out of you nazi grandpa, the US realized that the UK's hosed up 303 rimmed cartridge hosed up logistics so we decided to standardize ammo so that the US and UK can use each others ammo. When the US switched to a heavier 5.56 bullet so did the rest of nato which means that the dude that had british ammo would have had functionally similar ammo to what the US was using.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's fair to note that the US insisted on using 7.62 NATO even after everyone else realized that full powered rifle rounds in a standard infantry rifle was completely unnecessary (especially if you planned to use it on full auto), and this decision hosed over the rest of NATO as they were on the cusp of introducing rifles (and in the British case, already had) chambered in .280

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.276_Pedersen

"Developed in 1923 in the United States, it was intended to replace the .30-06 Springfield in new semi-automatic rifles and machine guns. When first recommended for adoption, M1 Garand rifles were chambered for the .276 Pedersen, which held ten rounds in its unique en-bloc clips. The .276 Pedersen was a shorter, lighter and lower pressure round than the .30-06, which made the design of an autoloading rifle easier than the long, powerful .30-06. The U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Douglas MacArthur rejected the .276 Pedersen Garand in 1932 after verifying that a .30-06 version was feasible."

we make awful decisions when it comes to calibers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SimonCat posted:

It was the Y-suspenders and pistol belt that everyone used before the plate carrier.

You're thinking of the LBV.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 23, 2020

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

an economic downturn shortens lifespans only because we let people without insurance just die

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

C SPAM IS LEAKING i screech at someone with ptsd from failed neolib policies

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

now is an awful time to try and buy a gun everyone is out of ammo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

All of us here can vite for Biden and he will still very likely lose. I feel like the next question is what can we do locally to help people (once we are able) because the US is abiut to get loving mangled

we gotta find someone even older and more racist for 2024