Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The demo specifically said the battles were overtuned for this, so I'm going to ignore that.

In general, my overall feeling about the game so far is that it's extremely conservative. The classes they've shown are as vanilla as it gets, the location of the demo is a desert town, just like the original BD demo, and they even seem to be trying to recreate the BD party dynamic almost exactly,. I can't tell if this is just them playing it as safe as possible or trying to mess with my expectations though. The latter seems pretty possible given the series, at least, but what they've actually shown us isn't particularly exciting on its own.

Also, yeah, the UI seemed a bit awkward, both in combat and on the menu.

Edit: To clarify, I'm still extremely excited for the game, if only for the job costumes, but the fact that they haven't shown off anything really cool or different is worrying.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I would guess that you don't learn spells by leveling up jobs in the real game, that'd be a huge step back from the previous games

Even in the previous games it was inconsistent between classes. You bought the "basic" spells in the shop while the more advanced magic classes learned spells from job levels. Personally I don't mind it either way, but they definitely need to add more interesting skills to White and Black Mage if it's going to continue like this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Well gently caress, I did not anticipate that I would not enjoy this game? There's nothing wrong with it, I loved Bravely Default, Bravely Second and finished both games, but I think my taste in JRPGs has changed a lot since those games came out, and I no longer find these type of RPGs to be fun anymore. :/ It sure is super pretty though!

I think there was something wrong with it, the demo is pretty bad.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Same, I want to submit feedback but it won't let me.

It's a trap: every time you try to submit feedback it actually destroys a dimension.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is what loving annoyed me. Therion was in my group quite a bit, but I still didn't want to backtrack every dungeon just to get those dumb things.

Octopath was great, but it had some dumb design choices. Therion is guilty of two. Those chests sucked, but so did his save-scummable steals in town.

Therion is also guilty of a third: having an entire story arc about being a loner who needs to learn to trust people in a party-based game where his party disappears whenever his story starts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just turn off encounters and get all your levels and JP from bosses. Random battles have always been a waste of time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I appreciate that they took the feedback into account, but a lot of these things seem so basic that you wonder if these people have ever actually made a video game before. It's like they hired an entire team of brand new devs and now they have to reinvent the wheel of basic UI functionality.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Bee posted:

My favorite turn based RPG in recent memory was FFX, and its no coincidence that FFX also gave you perfect information about the situation via an incredibly robust and flexible turn chart.

It's also become a kind of gold standard for the UI of more modern turn-based games with similar turn order delay mechanics.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

To be honest, all I really care about is whether the new classes are cool and interesting.

That said I am prepared to eat my words if it turns out I also hate the encounter rate.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

I think so, yeah. You could chain battles together for increased rewards, though I don't remember exactly how it worked.

If you beat a battle in one turn it gave you the option to immediately fight more enemies in the same state (as in, your BP was still used up), which could be chained until you no longer won in one turn.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is (chapter 3 job spoilers) Dragoon any good? I feel like there should be something hilarious you can do with the Specialty 2 that makes Jump affected by anything that buffs normal attacks, but it seems like even with all that it wouldn't be amazing or anything. Hit twice and all-targeting at best? Heal HP and MP on use? I mean I could just try it myself but that would require some grinding to get all the pieces. Maybe I'm just underestimating Jump but it felt extremely weak when I first got it.

Like, Swordmaster dual wielding for Highwind or something?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 10, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Clarste posted:

Is (chapter 3 job spoilers) Dragoon any good? I feel like there should be something hilarious you can do with the Specialty 2 that makes Jump affected by anything that buffs normal attacks, but it seems like even with all that it wouldn't be amazing or anything. Hit twice and all-targeting at best? Heal HP and MP on use? I mean I could just try it myself but that would require some grinding to get all the pieces. Maybe I'm just underestimating Jump but it felt extremely weak when I first got it.

Like, Swordmaster dual wielding for Highwind or something?

Tested this out with JP Orbs and unless I am missing something important it seems to be kind of awful? You get AOE from Indiscriminate Rage, sure, but it also slows you down. Multitask procs a single weak hit instead of a full Jump, which I guess I should have expected. Frenetic Fighting (raises maximum number of hits from 16 to 32) pops up as if it's proccing but I have no idea how that affects the damage anyway. Solid Stance has no effect whatsoever. I guess you could drain HP but who cares? In conclusion, just use Level Slash because it's way stronger, faster, and easier to set-up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think I may have fought this one, what kind of creature is it? Is it the blue spirit thingie chilling?

It's a pink flower thing, pretty sure.

Also, poison doesn't seem to scale at all, ever. It does 500 damage at the beginning of the game, which is a lot, and does 500 damage at the end, which is nothing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly I wish there were more dungeons because after unlocking level 15 for all jobs it felt like there was nowhere to actually level them up or use them on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Same thing is happening to me. We've found two strategies of beating it around level 50 or so.

If you max out Salve Maker and Phantom on one character they can Dread/Confusion/Charm/Paralyse bomb your opponents on turn 1 to functionally cripple them while you get to work.

If you max out two Performers then they can use the BP battery strat I listed above to permanently chain Shut up and dance into each other and give you unlimited turns.

There's no need to max out Salve-maker because everything you want from it is in Mix, or whatever it's called, which is its level 1 skill. You just need a level 12 Phantom to permanently shut down anything in the game, full stop. Also, I guess this is irrelevant to anyone spamming Godspeed Strike or whatever, but if you use Contagion you can also make bosses run out of MP in ~5 turns.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

PageMaster posted:

I use a Maxed out spiritmaster (with white mage sub) and have never run out of MP. He can also top off my two damage dealers as well and I finally stopped needing ethers except if I don't feel like waiting a turn for refills.

Edit: does GS only use speed, or is it based on attack power and buffed based on speed? I'm bumping up to weight limits for some weapons but not sure if they matter for the skill or not.

Also, if you've reached 999 attack power is there any reason to buy newer weapons? My Vanguard is sitting there already and changing weapons doesn't affect the value unless the extra is hidden. The only thing I can see is that the newer weapons have greater chance to be targeted which hopefully raises damage in battle and that 999 cap doesn't also cap the vanguard damage bonus...

I don't know if there are hidden extra values above 999, but the 999 you see on the status screen definitely includes the Vanguard bonus already. The specialty doesn't seem to raise damage like it says, it just adds to your attack stat.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fancy Hat! posted:

Specialties only trigger when they're in the main job slot, right?

Yes, unless you specifically have something equipped that lets them apply in the sub job slot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Chapter 3 I've noticed is where you really need to start kitting for MP longevity. Solar/Lunar powered for your mages can do work consistently over a boss fight. Aspir attack is really nice for physical attackers who use MP for their attacks (BST, Zerker), If you're spamming godspeed you also have steal spirit, which conveniently gives you enough MP to do it. Maxing out pictomancer on everyone is hugely useful for both the BP usage reduction for your zerker Crecent / Freelancer Bodyslam / goon jumps, ect usage as well as the HP-> MP ability to keep your hard casters active.

TBH ethers are cheap enough that's it's probably more efficient to spam those rather than waste turns auto-attacking for Aspir or using Steal Spirit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

I can help with that fight.

So I beat it at level 54 on hard but the only reason it was even possible is because I realised that the Red mage only has two attacking elements, earth and wind. It's actually pretty trivial with the shields you have available (Typhoon Shield / Earth shield and the talismans / armour you have to make your party immune to both elements. (Two levels of resistance will do that). At that point you can pretty safely ignore him and just pour everything into pumping your defense as high as it will go and crippling the Ranger's offense. (Pictomancer/Bard works a treat)

I largely agree though, the way the game derives difficulty is by effectively punishing the player for daring to play the game which is very frustrating sometimes.

I beat every single one of the Asterisk Challenge fights on hard at levels 50-55 (because fighting them leveled me up). I also beat them them in exactly the same way: paralyze/sleep them all with Phantom/Salvemaker and whittle them down with whatever. The hardest ones were Dragoon and Arcanist (not in the same team) because they were immune to both Paralyze and Sleep and spammed all targeting attacks that could kill my entire party instantly. Luckily, reraise exists. Shieldmaster Specialty 1 also lets only one person die, but you still want reraise.

Anyway that's all. You can kill them all like that. I don't know what most of them do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Magic in general is just pretty garbage for damage in this game. The best thing you get is the mastery from RDM but none of it is ever going to compete with the insanity that the physical classes pull out. MDef in general just feels way too high.

I don't know if this is even close to the main problem, but one thing I noticed is that mages have less weight to play around with, yet are no less reliant on equipment than melee jobs are. This is especially a problem if you want to dual wield (which you probably should). Like, they wanted to enforce the standard "casters wear robes, melee uses heavier armor" thing but it doesn't make much sense in this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think there's any indication that any Asterisk has ever corrupted anyone except the Berserker which didn't corrupt him so much as he used its skill to go berserk and lose himself in mindless rage (which you can also use once you get it).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

LiefKatano posted:

Does anybody know what's up with Victory Double, specifically when used by Sir Sloan in the Black Mage/Bravebearer/Bastion uncap fight? It seems to do 9999 damage twice, except when it doesn't (I think I saw it go for 8888 once?) which is, of course, enough to turn even a 19998 HP Seth into soft, gooey paste.

I thought to use Auto Guard to reduce the damage, and it worked once I'm pretty sure and then... it didn't. I don't know why it wouldn't work the second time, though...?? Wall of Woe was in effect but Sean had 2 BP still.

I was able to beat the fight once, but I want the Bravebearer weapon so it would be nice to have a strategy that isn't just, like... "wait for Contagion to sap away all of his MP each and every time".

It does fixed damage. Deal with it.

Specifically, when you have it it deals damage equal to the number of battles you've won. So when the boss has it it's just set to an arbitrary number.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The issue with buffs as I understand it is that they no longer refresh their duration on recast. When you cast it more than once they will stack additively, but each cast has its own separate timer, so it's impossible to keep a giant stack of buffs rolling like before. The only way to get high buff numbers is to brave and cast all of them at once, and only for a short time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fancy Hat! posted:

I just got to Chapter 5 and the dungeon slog is start to grate on me, is there a good combo of jobs to get me through them relatively painlessly, or am I just gonna be chugging Ward Lights to get throguh.

Berserker + anything that increases attack power. Both Level Slash or Indiscriminate Rage are ideal for instantly killing a pack of enemies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I've never used permanent stat up items in other games and I'm not about to start now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I played on Hard and Berserker continues to be the king of clearing random trash for the entire game. It doesn't get any better than the combos you already have imo. For random encounters I mean.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's not optional, you have to do it as part of the plot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

That’s backstory, which is “inactive” at the point the reader/player comes into the mix, and doesn’t meaningfully affect the story’s direction or developments.

But it does answer the exact questions the other person brought up.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

My impression of Godspeed Strike and the Beastmaster passive was that the developers deliberately gave players the option to just bulldoze the game if they didn't want to actually engage with the game, in way of heading off complaints that "This game is impossible!!" from players who couldn't or didn't want to understand the mechanics. This is also why these two things show up so early in the game.

I do not ascribe nearly as much intentionality to the developers, given how everything else turned out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

BD1 was pretty imbalanced as well. To say nothing of FF5, the game people trip over themselves to worship.

It's probably easier to find RPGs that don't have broken-as-hell combinations in them. Especially SE RPGs.

The problem isn't broken-as-hell combinations and more that a lot of individual moves (ie: Godspeed Strike) are broken by default, without even needing a combination, whereas magic will always suck by comparison no matter what you do. I wish the problem were too many broken combinations, those are at least fun.

Honestly I think a lot of it comes down to simply how much they value the costs of different abilities. They greatly overestimated how much of a restriction a high MP cost on a physical move would be, while magic that costs about the same is far weaker. And basically anything with an HP cost is practically free to cast yet they treat it like it's super expensive.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 28, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly I thought that we'd eventually go back in time and fix everything just because a lot of stuff in this game is so over-the-top pointlessly tragic that I thought they couldn't just leave it at that. And then they did.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There are nods towards the idea that the events of each chapter are what allow the main characters to individually demonstrate that they are worthy of being chosen by the crystals, but it's definitely half-baked at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

So if they make a Bravely Second 2, it's pretty much guaranteed the plot will be Edna attacking a different world via Adam's defeat in the valley of sighs in the fight you're supposed to lose right? I was fine with the game's plot being what it was. Not every RPG story needs the complexity of Tactics Ogre and I picked up the game to mess with good job combos and have some dumb fun, which the game was decent enough at providing.

Given the past sequel hooks in this series, it's actually pretty much guaranteed that the plot will have nothing whatsoever to do with that.