Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/edconwaysky/status/1245343609190301697?s=21

Brr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Why are Sweden doing better than us with no lockdown?

They aren't. They just got it later.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

Would it be really irresponsible of me to try to get some weed right now?

Hmm so that graph was misleading then.

It's not. It's just the steepness of the curve that matters, and theirs is hella steep.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Lancet says the average time from infection until death is eighteen days, so we'll likely be on a steady exponential rise until early next week when the effects of the lockdown become apparent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh yes they'll continue to be authoritarian and cadre-oriented, but I don't think it's entirely impossible that they engage in some successful redistributive policies. Perhaps naively, I don't think that the significant number of ultra-wealthy and often (implicitly) ideologically liberal democratic Chinese capitalists are considered particularly warmly by the CCP, particularly under Xi.

Oh yeah, you're being super naive there. If a Chinese oligarch is ever on the outs with Xi, it's usually for the same reasons that a Russian oligarch would be on the outs with Putin. The upper echelons of the CCP are riddled with billionaires.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/voyageceo/status/1245415024396587008?s=21

This guy heads a charity that supports people with learning and physical disabilities, brain injuries and autism. Jesus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Jesus. The Americans are going to kill as many people through starvation and exposure as they let die from this disease aren't they?

'The Americans', lol. How much does UC pay again?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Disgusting Coward posted:

Heart complications was always a weird phrase to me. It either goes squeezy squeezy blood blood blood or it goes urky-arky heart attarcky. Ain't hard, fam.

Sometimes it can go squeezy-squeezy in the wrong direction, for one thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/thattimwalker/status/1246095408297922560?s=21

lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
He may be thinking he can pull an Attlee here. I don't have a detailed enough understanding of the wartime coalition to get whether that's workable, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, but what was that thing where you assume someone is an expert in fields you're unfamiliar with when they're clearly incompetent in fields you are familiar with?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/xtophercook/status/1246776173843095553?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Hahaha, Lisa Nandy as foreign secretary. I guess there's not much focus on international politics at the moment at least.

Anneliese Dodds as Chancellor is reassuring - wasn't she McDonnell's pick? RLB conspicuously absent, presumably to get a minor post tomorr.w

Rachel Reeves in cabinet, but lurking on the sidelines. I wonder if she was first choice, but given Duchy of Lancaster so she can slide in later, once the scrutiny is lower.

Gove is the current CDL. It's historically been a powerful lieutenant post within the cabinet. Don't like Reeves having that kind of general influence.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/ian_fraser/status/1246563901803765765?s=21

Oh dear.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

So if Boris dies from the rona who will be our fourth prime minister in the four years since the brexit vote?

Dominic Raab. God help us all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

It feels a little problematic to say it but... they are definitely loving, or have hosed, right? That's not just me?

She gave similar supporting cover to May. I think it's just Being a Tory on her count.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chinese Gordon posted:

Yeah the public execution of the CumDom would be entertaining, but there's a real danger that would allow the Tories to just blame everything on him and escape the disaster realtively politically unscathed. They need to own this and pay the price.

The thing about this, though, is that most of the worst aspects of the UK's COVID-19 response are yet to really hit home. We have a healthcare system with high efficiency but low capacity, and a badly shredded social safety net. As soon as the rent freeze ends or the health issues we've been ignoring because of COVID-19 start piling up to a critical mass, poo poo is going to get extremely real.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

we don't have a rent freeze

Eh, rent deferral, whatever. People aren't paying rent right now, but their debts are building, and they're going to get a huge bill in three months while we're still on lockdown.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Yeah that's neither as bold or as cowardly as I was wondering might happen, but squarely in the

??? sideways ???

I guess it's because the position is now vacated by Rayner.

And because Starmer wanted Miliband in a mid-tier post, but didn't think Shadow Education played to his strengths?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This 2016 New Statesman article is interesting from the new Shadow Work and Pensions guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chinese Gordon posted:

Boris is in intensive care.

And Raab is in charge. God help us all.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1247240367327588353?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

They reported it yesterday, when it wasn't true. Their predictions subsequently happening doesn't not make an earlier report bullshit.

While that's an excellent post-username combo, I feel the need to point out that Dominic Raab said he hasn't spoken to Johnson, the person supposedly running the government's COVID-19 response, since Saturday. We're pretty clearly getting news on a time-lag here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Could you sleep if you knew Raab had access to them, though?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

bernie is ending his campaign. cool that the world is getting another 4 years of trump imo

TBF, I don't think it matters either way given that the Republicans are trying so incredibly hard to rig the election this time around.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, Hamas of all parties managed to win an election that most of the regional powers that be were trying to rig against them by making sure people got food and medicine. Performing community service where the government can't and won't help is pretty effective.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I’m not sure I want to meet the Liberal Democrat voter who thought “I know, now is the perfect time to put in a passport application!”
Same energy as that Facebook dude who went around taking photos of a hospital to highlight how unsafe the staff were (and got 12 weeks)

There's a depressingly large number of things where you need a passport as ID if you don't have a driver's license. Might have something to do with that huge spike in UC applications, unless they've changed the system since I checked last.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 9, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

learnincurve posted:

I’ve been doing this recently for the kids and tbh getting a provisional licence is by far the easier and cheaper option. :) mine won’t run out till 2049

GOV.UK says 'lolnope'.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah the first 2 are absolute dogshit films direçtes by Chris Columbus, an awful director, then Cuaron made an excellently dark and weird film, then the rest were varying amounts of ok with a fairly limp ending. Just lol at ever reading those books tho

Film 6 was unusually good. They shot it as a Cold War spy thriller.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Cambridge police tweet is gone now, guess they realised that it really wasn't a good look.

lol, look at the apology.

https://twitter.com/cambridgecops/status/1248546787394293760?s=21

The guy was just too delighted at the prospect of threatening people for their shopping choices.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good read from Buzzfeed on the government's testing plan and its limitations:

https://twitter.com/stuartmillar159/status/1248593147359367169?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

I think someone leaving because they just really want rail nationalisation and more social housing and loving Kier Won't Meaningfully Address Them is a bit reee, but leaving because the new leadership is dogwhistling that it's down with the genociding of people you personally know are a bit different.

Edit: not even dogwhistling actually Starmer isn't an idiot, he knows full well that declaring unreserved zionism is greenlighting systemically murdering children because they happened to be born in the wrong place there's no ambiguity there

Reee? Really now?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

I'd argue it's that Online is a legitimate subculture that evolves and that language organically permeates more than it's me fulfilling an emotional need or some highbrow poo poo, but I do consciously know that the most obnoxious, authoritarian shitlib posters on these forums do unironically believe in the contagion theory of political discourse and that poo poo is cancer.

You've made my point better than I was able to, once the the trauma of the Corbyn defeat has faded we need to reassess and I think engagement in the Labour Party should not be dismissed even though the idea feels poo poo right now.

I've got autistic relatives, you obnoxious prick. Cut it out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, sheez:

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1248952159825268736?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chucat posted:

So assuming these people are (still?) in the Labour Party, why should I want to give the Labour Party money?

Most of them seem to have cut and run to pastures fresh, but two are currently senior officers in Unison.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The section about Chris Williamson near the end of the report (page 825) is interesting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1249405212491685888?s=21

lol, look at that third one about Rod Liddle. That's Stolliday and Oldknow (the current Unison officers) talking there.

Actually, the whole of page 188 is insane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Trans women are women mate, not a specific other gender

They are, but not every domestic violence support service in the UK agrees.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/toubedavid/status/1249715238708133888?s=21

lol, that's the policy director of Quilliam getting mad about people whistleblowing racism.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zalakwe posted:

It's the 2012 of browsers.

More like the 2002, if you look at when its stock dropped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Who's excited for the weekly "it's not the weekend any more" bump in reported deaths today? Reckon we'll top a thousand?

The bump kicks in two days after a public holiday ends. Expect it on Wednesday instead.