Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Wachter posted:

How common is the loss of taste in covid patients? My wife just said the spag bol tastes weird and it can't be possibly be because my cooking is crap

have you tried feeding her a selection of monster munch and asking her which one's her favourite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

it's great that italy was such a clear example of the dangers of inadequate virus reaction three weeks ago and from what i can tell other european countries basically went "sucks for you lol, won't happen to us"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

Oh, well that’s reassuring

Yeah that's not a fun graph. We've overtaken italy and there's still several days until the delayed effect of the lockdown. When was boris' strong leadership announcement to not go to cafes but not close the cafes but not go to them if you like if you feel like it, the massive effect that must have had should be coming along any day now any day now any day

https://mobile.twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1245466314665271298

E: the second graph i mean specifically, these twitter embeds and their inclusion of the last reply

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

in these trying times some entertainment for you all: i have managed to get possibly the dumbest coronavirus war story, in that i seem to have done in my shoulder, most likely due to inactivity and poor posture while sitting down at the computer. even when i am in pain it is in the lamest way possible. do your stretches, people

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

was this your wanking side any chance?

this would in fact have been less lame than the actual repetitive strain i have been putting on my right arm in recent days, namely having my mouse in a bad position while breaking rocks in minecraft

when my kids ask me what i did during the coronavirus times i think i'll just say i spent the whole time in a coma

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"died with" has such a strange feel to it, like the person had a long negotiation with their own coronavirus and released a joint statement detailing a mutual agreement that stopping existing was the best for all parties

now i know statistically this probably won't take me but for the record if I die it'll be dying against it. put that on my grave thank you.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Tsietisin posted:

I'm thought that when I saw that picture that it was this quiz.

I love Mars Banana Hammock

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"Statistic that humbles ministers" is actually a very kind headline for the government, as it implies that they are capable of both humility and comprehending statistics

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

A virus was present in a mortality-related incident

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I never knew I'd be so happy to see a moderately well stocked toilet paper aisle

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

turns out the reason Tom couldn't come to party meetings was he was helping write fundamental texts of english literature several centuries ago. its a good excuse tbh

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2020/apr/05/shakespeares-secret-co-writer-finally-takes-a-bow-430-years-late

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I ordered a book a couple of weeks back a few days before the lockdown begun, and i've had some other mail through but not that. i'm just assuming it's gone forever and if it does turn up eventually that'll be a nice bonus. i mean it's not like i actually need it and one of the independent bookshops around here got some money out of it so could be worse.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Could people take me out of the OP for Labour contacts? I resigned my membership this afternoon after Keir appointed a transphobe to the NEC.

Who's the transphobe appointed? it's hard to keep track of them

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Don't be silly. They'd need a ventilator for that

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i don't want boris to die for the sole reason that the daily mail or whatever will find a person on twitter making a joke about it and track them down to their house and print seven pages a day about it for two weeks and drag them into a public square where all members of the public must make a public statement denouncing this behaviour and throw an egg at them or go to jail

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

justcola posted:

reality is too boring

there are a lot of things you can say about reality right now, a lot of things, but I would dispute this one

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

RockyB posted:

RE: Boris, and the discussion last month about having no decent modern tunes to chant to

I've heard this sung as "Why are we waiting/we are suffocating", but that's perhaps a bit too on the nose at the moment

e: google searching for 91 gives an entire three results before something about coronavirus, there are presumably still words and/or phrases that are not yet inextricably linked with covid-19 so enjoy that while it lasts

Angepain fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 8, 2020

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

apparently the only way to get a prescription when you are in lockdown on the other side of a city is to physically post a letter to your gp surgery that itself contains a stamped envelope addressed to a pharmacy near your current address for them to post out your prescription to. I tried registering as a temporary resident in a gp practice nearby but living 6 miles away counts as "the same town" so that's apparently not allowed. if only there was an interconnected network of computers to send this kind of data across

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

yes, after pissing on her grave your membership of the Squat Squad will come in handy in the next step

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a depressingly large number of things where you need a passport as ID if you don't have a driver's license.

I applied for a new passport a week or so before the lockdown, though only as i changed my name recently and i don't have a drivers license. So now my only photo id is a shiny new passport delivered to my parents house on the other side of town which i absolutely cannot go to for the time being. Haven't asked them to check what colour it is yet. Main thing i used it for was picking up parcels though, so it's not like I'm going to have trouble being in for deliveries for the foreseeable

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

"Doctor, am I accessible and capable of making decisions?"
"Yes."
"Well I wasn't before!" (plays piano)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Camrath posted:

Which actually raises a completely unrelated point in my mind- as mentioned, my friend transitioned (though after we had parted ways as friends and socially- I’ve never met her under her current identity). When referring to someone’s pre-transition life, is it correct to use their identity and pronouns as they presented at the time, or to refer to them as their present gender retroactively? In this case I’m talking about someone who I only knew as a curly haired prepubescent boy, so though I consciously know that they’ve transitioned I’ve never met them since.

Tesla was right posted:

I'm not trans so I correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, it's most helpful to think of "transitioning" as "coming out as trans". She was a girl who was expected to dress and behave like a boy because of a decision someone else made.
Also, it's best not to use someone's pre-transition name unless they give permission.

I don't know how to answer the question of how to deal with the situation of "do you know so-and-so", for when someone may have met them pre-transition, though.

As A Trans, there can be some variation in how trans people think of their previous identities but this is the most common and a good default if you haven't explicitly been told otherwise.

And yeah Tesla that's a tricky one. if you know for sure that they knew each other pre-transition it should be okay but otherwise it might be better not to bother and just let them find out if they knew them rather than risk oversharing? maybe?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Dominic currently hiding in an airtight flat, lining the walls with tinfoil and refusing to take any calls in case the virus transmits via spoken language

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Dominic will come out of his quarantine with a perfect plan to finally kill the coronavirus, but he will only explain it in a novel conlang consisting only of prepositions which he claims expands human brain capacity by 34%

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Reee? Really now?

you know if they hadn't kept on repeatedly using the word "cuck" despite several people telling them to stop i'd think this might be an honest mistake maybe possibly but uhh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I might also suggest that the persistent use of language Vitamin P knows annoys people ITT is also a form of emotional need fulfilment and does not necessarily constitute a political position in and of itself. Other than the idea that language is not content which I don't really agree with but is certainly a position people have.

ultimately it matters less what vitamin P actually believes and more how it effects a space when harmful language is allowed to pass unchallenged. i'm not saying we shouldn't look at the root causes of behaviours but it's also good imo to not foster a culture where people can see posters going around saying racist/ableist 4chan poo poo and getting away with it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

look i'd like to make the slightest effort to stop using language that mocks disabled people but it's actually an important part of my legitimate culture

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

if 'reee' is a specific reference to autistic people then it's news to me

in fact it is! consider yourself now better informed. we all learn things every day on this wonderful world we live in

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Also on the CUK front, while I'm not entirely sure i'd defend all of the specific jokes made about Change UK, there is some difference between noting that an organisation made up of supposed brilliant communicators has accidentally named themselves after a terrible word and casually using that word to describe a distantly related politician in a different context

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1250008395878297600?s=19

I mean, just... What the gently caress is wrong with people?

when he's lying in bed watching netflix he's at least less able to actively do damage i guess

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Best ever chocolate+orange product was chocolate and orange shreddies. When the workers seize the means of cereal production and i rise up the ranks of the revolution through betrayal and intrigue restarting that product line will be my #1 priority.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Alternatively, how can we become Yuri?

i've been looking into becoming yuri for a while now, my plan mostly involves taking estrogen and downloading a whole bunch of dating apps

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

That's Ian Blackford and Nicola Sturgeon now both calling for UBI.

definitely read that B as a D for a second there

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Edit2: Although god I just *hate* "Ange". That word triggers me so bad for some random reason.

This is actually quite common from what i've heard. people keep telling me how they can't stand Ange pain

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i keep getting worried about this couple across the street. i usually sit by the window so every now and then, even before the lockdown, i would hear the guy yelling at his kids or possibly also at his wife/girlfriend. I generally can't really make out what's being said but the force of the tone is always kind of suspicious. just now I heard him going off on one with the kids and the woman there, something about how she shouldn't have left the window open and now one of the kids has dropped something out of it, or something, with a whole lot of "loving"s thrown in. I don't know these people at all and I don't really know if there is anything I can do or could do or if i'll ever know if there's something going on or if i just don't like people raising their voice in any capacity. i imagine the lockdown isn't helping the situation any regardless

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm in a Labour seat so I just think it's pointless, but I'm sure if I were in a Tory seat it would enrage the gently caress out of me

the clapping is okay in Leith because i don't think many people voted tory around here. i may court the ire of the thread here but i did a bit of clapping myself tbh just because it seemed nicer than just sitting by the window not doing anything

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

okay i'm ok with the clapping in general in most situations but which care worker is looking at this and saying, yes, this is helping, this helps me

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1250986608842674177

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i'm glad to see that bands can still rise from nothing, mere humble origins of all going to cambridge. "These are the middle-class kids who might have turned to rap, but now have, in Sports Team, a band singing about their lives." is a hell of a sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Rice says “we’re all pretty Labour”, but “not tribal ... that Idles record, just coming out with a ‘gently caress Boris’ attitude, it’s the tritest, cheapest form of politics. We’ve got this opportunity to be really subtle and actually engage people, rather than just trotting out talking points.” A union-jack-wearing character in their song The Races appears to be your typical side of Tory gammon – “He’ll never buy you a drink / But he’ll let you know he can” – but Rice says “there’s always an empathetic take. Even Kutcher, about a guy who’s frustrated with his haircut, is quite an empathetic portrayal.”